Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Pet corner  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 14.11.2012, 16:03
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Help need information on bringing my dog.

Have you got accommodation organised yet? Sadly it can be very difficult to find an apartment where large dogs are allowed.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 14.11.2012, 16:07
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pully
Posts: 78
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 78 Times in 27 Posts
gohabs has no particular reputation at present
Re: Help need information on bringing my dog.

Went already through this experience when bringing my dog from Montreal to GVA. Got all the paperwork done - nothing special there; you need a stamp from Health Canada on the special form that is signed by your vet. My biggest problem was with the airline, since my move was during the summer, Air Canada has a special policy in place not to transport animals during summer months (not sure if it is still in place); so I had to use Air Transat and to fly into Basel (instead of GVA) - I wanted a direct flight as opposed to having to change. Air Transat services were excellent and, as a matter of fact there were other dogs on the respective flight (you need to book a place for your dog on the flight well in advance since there is limited number of places). At the customs in Basel, NO ONE paid any attention to us (nor the dog), which is a good thing since we were all stressed out that if the paperwork was not ok, the customs will take our dog away and kill him. We then drove to GVA from Basel. Dog was a little bit groggy, took him a couple of days to recover but he is a very happy dog now. BTW, in the first year, he shed a lot of hair on account of the climate change - this may not apply to you as you live in BC. Best of luck with your move!
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 14.11.2012, 16:33
Mischka's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Canada // Switzerland
Posts: 159
Groaned at 14 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 59 Times in 32 Posts
Mischka has earned some respectMischka has earned some respect
Re: Help need information on bringing my dog.

Quote:
Have you got accommodation organised yet? Sadly it can be very difficult to find an apartment where large dogs are allowed.
Yes i do

Quote:
View Post
Went already through this experience when bringing my dog from Montreal to GVA. Got all the paperwork done - nothing special there; you need a stamp from Health Canada on the special form that is signed by your vet. My biggest problem was with the airline, since my move was during the summer, Air Canada has a special policy in place not to transport animals during summer months (not sure if it is still in place); so I had to use Air Transat and to fly into Basel (instead of GVA) - I wanted a direct flight as opposed to having to change. Air Transat services were excellent and, as a matter of fact there were other dogs on the respective flight (you need to book a place for your dog on the flight well in advance since there is limited number of places). At the customs in Basel, NO ONE paid any attention to us (nor the dog), which is a good thing since we were all stressed out that if the paperwork was not ok, the customs will take our dog away and kill him. We then drove to GVA from Basel. Dog was a little bit groggy, took him a couple of days to recover but he is a very happy dog now. BTW, in the first year, he shed a lot of hair on account of the climate change - this may not apply to you as you live in BC. Best of luck with your move!
Oh wow what a trip :S, Thanks for sharing your experience, I will have to do it myself :S

Quote:
View Post
But it isn't mandatory at all. Just the opposite - most vets recommend against it and most airlines refuse to take a sedated animal. Why do you think it is mandatory?

If your vet recommends sedation, I would seriously question his judgement. Please speak with another vet.
No I didn't think it was mandatory i just said " if it was " because i don't know thats why im posting on here for info on everything that has to do with getting my dog Safely to our new home. And I apreciate all your comments and suggestions.

Quote:
View Post
Check out Edelweisse Air. They have direct flights YVR to ZRH. And they take animals.

http://www.edelweissair.ch/en/shop/animals-on-board/
Thank you very much I will definitely look at this.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 14.11.2012, 18:57
Desert Rat's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Scottsdale, USA/Geneva CH
Posts: 712
Groaned at 15 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 1,733 Times in 510 Posts
Desert Rat has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Rat has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Rat has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Rat has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Rat has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Rat has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Help need information on bringing my dog.

worldcarepet.com

They will review the medical documentation ahead of time, talk to your vet about anything that's missing, pick up the dog at your doorstep, take care of all travel arrangements, provide the crate, necessary paperwork etc.and deliver to your new home.

Expensive but worth it, if you're unsure (as I was) and afraid of making a mistake that might leave sweet puppy in quarantine somewhere.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 15.11.2012, 00:55
Mischka's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Canada // Switzerland
Posts: 159
Groaned at 14 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 59 Times in 32 Posts
Mischka has earned some respectMischka has earned some respect
Re: Help need information on bringing my dog.

Quote:
View Post
worldcarepet.com

They will review the medical documentation ahead of time, talk to your vet about anything that's missing, pick up the dog at your doorstep, take care of all travel arrangements, provide the crate, necessary paperwork etc.and deliver to your new home.

Expensive but worth it, if you're unsure (as I was) and afraid of making a mistake that might leave sweet puppy in quarantine somewhere.
Thank you very much I checked it out and waiting to hear a estimate of how much it would coast.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 15.11.2012, 01:21
JanerMacP's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Turgi, AG
Posts: 1,101
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 791 Times in 428 Posts
JanerMacP has an excellent reputationJanerMacP has an excellent reputationJanerMacP has an excellent reputationJanerMacP has an excellent reputation
As your dog is quite big and likely over the weight limit, if so, you'll have to send her Lufthansa (via cargo through Toronto) and maybe not even at all on Air Canada (they wouldn't even take my dog as her combined weight with the crate was over 99 lbs). If you can I suggest flying on Swiss via Montreal and then you'll only pay $350 and she'll go as excess baggage (Lufthansa quoted me $2000 for one way, I have a lab mix who is the same size as a boxer).

For me the paperwork was a breeze, it was the actual logistics that were a nightmare as none of the airline idiots knew what they were doing.
__________________
"What we have is no where as useful as the wheel. We keep reinventing the piece of rock that is still square"
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 15.11.2012, 09:09
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 24
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
NatashaC has no particular reputation at present
Re: Help need information on bringing my dog.

Small thing - But make sure you put the dogs name, your name, the flight number and contact numbers in both Canada and Switzerland (if possible) an the kennel. Aside from being an identifier the airline baggage staff will be able to speak to your dog. When the baggage staff brought my dog to me the last time (domestic flight in Canada) they said he was upset as they offloaded him from the plane but calmed right down when they spoke to him with his name. They thanked me for providing the information.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 15.11.2012, 09:44
Verbier's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Lully VD
Posts: 4,383
Groaned at 17 Times in 17 Posts
Thanked 4,649 Times in 2,350 Posts
Verbier has a reputation beyond reputeVerbier has a reputation beyond reputeVerbier has a reputation beyond reputeVerbier has a reputation beyond reputeVerbier has a reputation beyond reputeVerbier has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Help need information on bringing my dog.

Yes to all of the ideas about the phone numbers, flight numbers, dog's name etc. We also added (with a cable tie) a lead on the outside of the crate. If they have to take the dog out of the crate for a reason, it is good to have a lead handy.

And another couple of suggestions for the crate. You want to make sure you have a crate size that is adapted to the dog. It may in fact want to be a bigger model than you have been using at home to ensure the dog can stand up fully (which may not be needed at home when she is just going into the cage to sleep/lay down). Check the Air Canada site above for the calculation.

The second suggestion is to take a large bath mat (the rubber backed type) and fix it to the bottom of the crate. The dog will have a very hard time keeping balanced when the crate is moving on the baggage cart (the paws slip on the plastic of the crate). This is a real stressor for the dog.

You drill holes in 4 or 6 spots in the bottom of the crate (corners and sides maybe) and put cable ties through the holes, through the mat and back down (2 holes per corner so up and back with the cable ties). Cut off the excess of the cable tie. The mat is more comfortable for the dog and gives her some traction.
__________________
Do or do not, there is no try(ing). Yoda
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 15.11.2012, 12:51
Mischka's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Canada // Switzerland
Posts: 159
Groaned at 14 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 59 Times in 32 Posts
Mischka has earned some respectMischka has earned some respect
Re: Help need information on bringing my dog.

Thank you all, great ideas and tips to help me with getting her there safely, and actually I do have a fair size kennel at home, I am 6 foot 1 and i Can fit inside the kennel ( kinda squished ) with her in it as well sitting up and we both can curl up side by side its a pretty big kennel, sometimes i put both of them in their and they both have plenty of room.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Information on Dog premchand Pet corner 21 27.08.2012 19:21
Help - Wheels on my Samsonite case need replacing robyn.oz Other/general 2 04.12.2011 12:06
HELP I need help on my daughter 's party potota Daily life 10 11.05.2011 20:50
Bringing a dog on holiday to the UK poot Pet corner 7 21.09.2009 17:19


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 20:04.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0