English Forum Switzerland

English Forum Switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php)
-   Pet corner (https://www.englishforum.ch/pet-corner/)
-   -   Buying Chihuahua in CH - question about place and prices (https://www.englishforum.ch/pet-corner/226237-buying-chihuahua-ch-question-about-place-prices.html)

IzabelaInZug 20.01.2015 23:05

Buying Chihuahua in CH - question about place and prices
 
Hi guys,


I moved into a bigger flat in Zug with big balcony and plenty of green quiet space around, ideal for walks with a dog so I am thinking of buying a small dog, chihuahua for example.


I would like to consider other breeds but I really can't think of anything else. I don't like Yorkshire terriers very much. It should be a small dog but doesn't have to be chihuahua.


Where shall I look? Do I have to register my dog somewhere? How much does small dog like chihuahua cost in Switzerland?
Is it better/easier to buy it in EU and bring it to Switzerland or will it be easier to find my dog here?
Thanks, I.

Sean Connery 20.01.2015 23:07

Re: Buying Chihuahua in CH - question about place in prices
 
have you done the SKN theory course?
have you considered looking at rescue centres?

Nil 20.01.2015 23:13

Re: Buying Chihuahua in CH - question about place in prices
 
1 Attachment(s)
I can't help you much about the where to get a chihuahua but I can certainly tell you how wonderful dog they are. My chi is very friendly to everyone, is sweet and loving with the kids. My daughter is the only one who can hold her like a baby and she is having a great relationship with our cat.

She goes on a mat for her business. She doesn't eat much and a big bag of food last for a couple of months.

They love attention and affection and because of their size, they sleep a lot.

I used to have a big dog and I have to say, I wasn't sure but I am very happy and I love her to bits.

Nil 20.01.2015 23:20

Re: Buying Chihuahua in CH - question about place in prices
 
I should add that if you have kids, rescued chihuahua aren't the best with them. They can be Jealous and territorial with their master so better get them young to grow with the kids.

IzabelaInZug 20.01.2015 23:26

Re: Buying Chihuahua in CH - question about place in prices
 
What beautiful and healthy dog Nil... you can clearly see she is loved.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nil (Post 2323715)
I can't help you much about the where to get a chihuahua but I can certainly tell you how wonderful dog they are. My chi is very friendly to everyone, is sweet and loving with the kids. My daughter is the only one who can hold her like a baby and she is having a great relationship with our cat.

She goes on a mat for her business. She doesn't eat much and a big bag of food last for a couple of months.

They love attention and affection and because of their size, they sleep a lot.

I used to have a big dog and I have to say, I wasn't sure but I am very happy and I love her to bits.


Nil 20.01.2015 23:33

Re: Buying Chihuahua in CH - question about place in prices
 
1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by IzabelaInZug (Post 2323724)
What beautiful and healthy dog Nil... you can clearly see she is loved.

She is! She is also stubborn. She rarely barks, she plays a lot and you should see when strangers come in the house... Definitely not a guard dog! She doesn't realize how small she is and I must say, she has big balls!

I find it sad how bad reputation Chis have, they are very nice and great family member.

You won't regret it!

IzabelaInZug 20.01.2015 23:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean Connery (Post 2323712)
have you done the SKN theory course?
have you considered looking at rescue centres?

I think it is very good idea to look for a dog at rescue centres and I might do it but I really don't want a big dog and I don't think these places have any tiny dogs but I should go and see to be sure my dog is not there:) Good idea. I aleady saved two homeless cats in the past and they both have good loving homes now. I don't want to have prorblems with neighbours or children being afraid of the dog because of its' size.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nil (Post 2323729)
She is! She is also stubborn. She rarely barks, she plays a lot and you should see when strangers come in the house... Definitely not a guard dog! She doesn't realize how small she is and I must say, she has big balls!

I find it sad how bad reputation Chis have, they are very nice and great family member.

You won't regret it!

Aww! Cute. So I think I will have to hurry up to get one but where? I can imagine such dog can cost a small fortune in Switzerland?
It is true they have bad reputation but not every dog is the same so I might be as well lucky to have nice one (not so loud and stupid:)). I think they are gorgeous too.

greenmount 20.01.2015 23:46

Re: Buying Chihuahua in CH - question about place and prices
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by IzabelaInZug (Post 2323711)
Hi guys,


I moved into a bigger flat in Zug with big balcony and plenty of green quiet space around, ideal for walks with a dog so I am thinking of buying a small dog, chihuahua for example.


I would like to consider other breeds but I really can't think of anything else. I don't like Yorkshire terriers very much. It should be a small dog but doesn't have to be chihuahua.


Where shall I look? Do I have to register my dog somewhere? How much does small dog like chihuahua cost in Switzerland?
Is it better/easier to buy it in EU and bring it to Switzerland or will it be easier to find my dog here?
Thanks, I.

I had similar plans some time ago but gave up, decided this dog wasn't for me. My friends have one and they love him from all their hearts, but boy, you have to be the type. Very jealous (when we visit our friends he likes me and he's all over me but has bitten my OH couple of times - who is the calmest and kindest guy you can find so I really can't explain his reactions), attention seeking, almost non-trainable. Yes, sweet and affectionate and quite smart on the other hand, he obviously thinks he's human..cute.
I don't know, maybe my friends didn't train him, maybe he's a bit special. But we decided to look for more options.

TiMow 20.01.2015 23:57

Re: Buying Chihuahua in CH - question about place and prices
 
Similar to a Chihuahua, but possibly a calmer temperament is a Prazsky Krysarik

I once looked after one for a weekend, for someone - very friendly dog.
For a little critter, he loved to walk and run - further than you might think.


A bit bigger, but I'm biased, is a Jack Russell too big?


Regarding cost, most pure breed dogs from a reputable breeder, could (and probably will) go into 4 figures (1200 - 1500). Even a rescue dog could be a 500 'donation'.

meloncollie 20.01.2015 23:58

Re: Buying Chihuahua in CH - question about place and prices
 
Isabel, I will second Sean's comment - the first thing you have to do is take the SKN Theory course.

This is one of two courses mandated by federal law. The theory course is required of all first time dog owners in Switzerland. 'First time owner' generally is defined as not having had a dog registered in your name on the ANIS database.

For foreigners who have owned dogs in their own names in other countries, you need to contact the cantonal veterinäramt with proof of previous ownership for a ruling as to whether you might be granted an exception, or not. The SKN Theory course must be done before you aquire your dog.

I strongly recommend you take the SKN Theory class even in granted an exception, as there is important information (including where to find a pup, what the legalities are, etc.) that you will need. The course is 2 sessions, ca. 150-200.

The reason this is always brought up is not only that it is the law, but that no decent breeder will sell you a pup, no decent rescue will allow you to adopt one of their dogs until you have taken the course.

Once you have your pup, the second course required is the SKN practical. This is usually 4-5 sessions, again ca. 150-200, and must be done within 12 months of acquiring the dog.


There are countless threads discussing the SKN classes - just search the Pets section.
----

From an SKG/FCI breeder, expect to pay from CHF1500-4000.

The place to start is with the breed club of the SKG, for Chis this is the Zwerghundclub:
http://www.zwerghundeclub.ch

You need to contact the Zuchtwart, the person who keeps track of planned litters, or contact the breeders directly.

Do be aware that a good breeder will want to know quite a bit about you, to ensure that his/her pup is in good hands. And be aware that most good breeders have waiting lists, sometimes months, sometimes a year or more. Finding a puppy is all about establishing a relationship with a breeder.

One more thing to be aware of: Chihuahuas are, tragically, one of the breeds that are often puppy farmed. Yes, even here in Switzerland. This is a despicable industry - the dogs endure horrific abuse, the pups often sickly or genetically compromised. Because Chis are so popular and command high prices these vile battery farmers churn them out by the thousands.

When you buy from a battery farmer you condemn more dogs to this hell on earth.

So - do your due diligence on breeders, make sure you understand what makes a good breeder, and carefully assess the breeders you are considering - just as they will be assessing you.

---

Perhaps as a fall-out from their popularity Chis land in rescues here in Switzerland with some regularity (getting back to that 'are you ready for a 15+year commitment' thing). If you feel you are up to giving a rescue dog the forever home he so deserves, please do consider rescue. The national database of homeless animals is here, you can filter on size, gender, age, canton, etc:

http://www.tierdatenbank.ch/cms/tier...unschtier.html

As of today, there are 38 small dogs - of all sorts - listed on the database. Browse a bit, see if anyone tugs at your heartstrings.

The adoption fee for a rescue dog in Switzerland will vary widely - as an example, I have paid adoption fees from CHF 400 to CHF 1000 for the various members of the Muttley Crew.

---

But from a breeder or a rescue, the important thing is that you go in hand-on-heart ready to make that 15+ year commitment. Towards that end, do a bit of soul searching to determine what you can, and cannot, offer a dog - and then look for a dog whose needs mesh with yours and that of your whole family, who fits your lifestyle - and to whom you can make an absolute commitment for the next 15+ years, no matter what else happens in your life.

---

ETA:

You can read more about the federal dog regulations, as well as expectations of dog owners, on the BLV's website, Meinheimtier:
http://www.meinheimtier.ch/de/hunde

And the Zug Hundegesetz, including the revision proposed that is not yet in force, is summarized here:

http://www.tierimrecht.org/de/tiersc...-recht/zug.php

----

Wishing you all the best as you search for your new furry friend.

Anthony1406 20.01.2015 23:59

Re: Buying Chihuahua in CH - question about place and prices
 
We got a deer chi from a rescue.

I love the dog to bits but what a nightmare. attacks everyone (2 min later he will be there best friend) cries and barks continuously.
Needs attention every minute of the day

gets along with other small dogs well.


Would I do it again in an apartment...No . Would I ever give him up NO


I have had many dogs and still do at home in Belgium and they are very well behaved but this one is a different thing altogether

Medea Fleecestealer 21.01.2015 07:34

Re: Buying Chihuahua in CH - question about place and prices
 
Also check with your landlord/agency that you're allowed to have a dog first. Don't assume that just because your neighbours do that you're allowed to. Check with the property owner/agent that's it okay, they may want to you add extra cover on to your personal liability insurance to cover any dog damage for example.

Nil 21.01.2015 07:47

Re: Buying Chihuahua in CH - question about place and prices
 
Maybe my Lily isn't a normal chi but she is very sweet with everyone, kids and strangers.

She doesn't bark more than any other dogs.

Guest 21.01.2015 07:55

Re: Buying Chihuahua in CH - question about place and prices
 
I recommend getting your Chihuahua from a reputable breeder in CH, unfortunately there are loads of dogs trafficked from eastern European countries that come with all kinds of diseases (in the Netherlands there were 2 cases of rabies!!). This is if you want to get a puppy, or you can contact your local Tierheim and see what lovely dogs they have up for adoption.
I think some people are deterred from adopting because of the long and tedious process (really not kidding).
Before you get the dog, you need the SKN training (basic) and then the SKN training specific for your dog. Best wishes!

greenmount 21.01.2015 08:18

Re: Buying Chihuahua in CH - question about place and prices
 
There are plenty of reputable breeders in Eastern Europe too, with all due respect Angela. If Izabela wants me to do so, I can ask my friends to tell me where they got their Chi, it was from a family in the Czech R.

Mélusine 21.01.2015 08:35

Re: Buying Chihuahua in CH - question about place and prices
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nil (Post 2323783)
Maybe my Lily isn't a normal chi but she is very sweet with everyone, kids and strangers.

She doesn't bark more than any other dogs.

Honestly Nil, I think you're lucky to have one of the very few sociable chis!

In my experience, they tend to be like the others described them in this thread... :(

A friend if mine did all she could to socialize hers (classes, and all) and still we couldn't let the chi close to my well-behaved kids, as it would attack suddenly and without reason.

Nil 21.01.2015 08:39

Re: Buying Chihuahua in CH - question about place and prices
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mélusine (Post 2323806)
Honestly Nil, I think you're lucky to have one of the very few sociable chis!

In my experience, they tend to be like the others described them in this thread... :(

A friend if mine did all she could to socialize hers (classes, and all) and still we couldn't let the chi close to my well-behaved kids, as it would attack suddenly and without reason.

Could be. The breeder I found had the mother and the puppies at her home with young children so they were already used to kids from the birth and until they were four months old when I got her.

meloncollie 21.01.2015 09:35

Re: Buying Chihuahua in CH - question about place and prices
 
I suspect that Nil's dog is such a delight because she is a good owner. :)

Remember that both nature and nurture play their parts. Key with any pup is that the new owner devote the necessary time and energy to proper socialization and training. A well-bred dog is just the start, a well-prepared blank canvas - the critical work is then up to the owner.

A chi is dog - not a toy, not a fashion accessory. Here is where too many pups today are let down by owners who do not understand this. There is a whole lotta 'big dog' inside that tiny body - chis need to be given a happy, healthy canine-correct life.

As do all dogs.

IzabelaInZug 21.01.2015 10:18

Re: Buying Chihuahua in CH - question about place and prices
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Medea Fleecestealer (Post 2323781)
Also check with your landlord/agency that you're allowed to have a dog first. Don't assume that just because your neighbours do that you're allowed to. Check with the property owner/agent that's it okay, they may want to you add extra cover on to your personal liability insurance to cover any dog damage for example.

I am allowed.

st2lemans 21.01.2015 10:21

Re: Buying Chihuahua in CH - question about place and prices
 


Tom


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 14:17.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0