Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Pet corner  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10.03.2015, 12:13
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Wollerau
Posts: 10
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
One non blonde has no particular reputation at present
Moving a snake

Hello. Was wondering if anyone had any info regarding the relocation of a snake to the UK? We are moving back soon and would very much like to take him back with us but the airlines, contrary to the movie, do not allow "snakes on the plane". Any service providers with an approximate cost would be appreciated. (It's a python regius about 1.2m)


Cheers
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10.03.2015, 13:26
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 14,874
Groaned at 467 Times in 373 Posts
Thanked 21,001 Times in 8,661 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Moving a snake

Quote:
View Post
Hello. Was wondering if anyone had any info regarding the relocation of a snake to the UK? We are moving back soon and would very much like to take him back with us but the airlines, contrary to the movie, do not allow "snakes on the plane". Any service providers with an approximate cost would be appreciated. (It's a python regius about 1.2m)


Cheers
Snakes on a train?

Or is that a strain?

Snakes down the trousers?

Or is that a pain?

Snakes in a car?

Or is it too far?

Snakes on a bike?

What's not to like?

Snakes on a bus?

Too much of a fuss?
Reply With Quote
The following 7 users would like to thank Tom1234 for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 10.03.2015, 13:33
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Wollerau
Posts: 10
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
One non blonde has no particular reputation at present
Re: Moving a snake

Thanks Tom. That's lightened up my afternoon!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank One non blonde for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 10.03.2015, 13:37
22 yards's Avatar
Only in moderation
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Basel-Land
Posts: 8,731
Groaned at 257 Times in 210 Posts
Thanked 17,567 Times in 7,141 Posts
22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Moving a snake

Random Google result -- these people seem to think that snakes can fly to the UK.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank 22 yards for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 10.03.2015, 13:39
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 10,768
Groaned at 227 Times in 191 Posts
Thanked 22,433 Times in 9,526 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Moving a snake

Quote:
View Post
Random Google result -- these people seem to think that snakes can fly to the UK.
if pigs can fly, so can snakes.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank amogles for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 10.03.2015, 13:40
TobiasM's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Zürich
Posts: 1,263
Groaned at 184 Times in 132 Posts
Thanked 2,765 Times in 1,280 Posts
TobiasM has a reputation beyond reputeTobiasM has a reputation beyond reputeTobiasM has a reputation beyond reputeTobiasM has a reputation beyond reputeTobiasM has a reputation beyond reputeTobiasM has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Moving a snake

You should contact a cargo company that specialises in Live Animal shipping. Like this one:

https://www.iagcargo.com/iagcargo/po...o/live_animals
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10.03.2015, 13:40
PaddyG's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Pensier, Fribourg
Posts: 9,250
Groaned at 121 Times in 105 Posts
Thanked 16,857 Times in 5,912 Posts
PaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Moving a snake

I'm going to forego the obvious innuendo and just state I have absolutely no idea.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10.03.2015, 13:41
TobiasM's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Zürich
Posts: 1,263
Groaned at 184 Times in 132 Posts
Thanked 2,765 Times in 1,280 Posts
TobiasM has a reputation beyond reputeTobiasM has a reputation beyond reputeTobiasM has a reputation beyond reputeTobiasM has a reputation beyond reputeTobiasM has a reputation beyond reputeTobiasM has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Moving a snake

In luxury too: http://www.animalairlines.co.uk/private-jet/

Quote:
View Post
Random Google result -- these people seem to think that snakes can fly to the UK.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10.03.2015, 13:48
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Wollerau
Posts: 10
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
One non blonde has no particular reputation at present
Re: Moving a snake

Thanks for those suggestions. I spoke to IAG and they said it could be up to CHF2-3k for a transfer like this. Time to dust off Plan B....
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10.03.2015, 13:56
22 yards's Avatar
Only in moderation
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Basel-Land
Posts: 8,731
Groaned at 257 Times in 210 Posts
Thanked 17,567 Times in 7,141 Posts
22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Moving a snake

Quote:
View Post
if pigs can fly, so can snakes.
I think most of us know by now that weasels can fly, so yeah, why not reptiles too?


Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank 22 yards for this useful post:
  #11  
Old 10.03.2015, 13:57
grumpygrapefruit's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Zuriwest
Posts: 6,272
Groaned at 38 Times in 37 Posts
Thanked 16,665 Times in 4,359 Posts
grumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Moving a snake

Quote:
View Post
Thanks for those suggestions. I spoke to IAG and they said it could be up to CHF2-3k for a transfer like this. Time to dust off Plan B....
There's usually people advertising here who are driving part loads or one way who would (might) take it. I used to do it often and took all sorts of strange things back and forth.

Keep an eye out in the Transport / Driving forum or place an ad there.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10.03.2015, 14:02
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Wollerau
Posts: 10
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
One non blonde has no particular reputation at present
Re: Moving a snake

What a great photo. I love the expression on the bird's face, usually how I look after looking at the check out receipt after the weekly shop!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank One non blonde for this useful post:
  #13  
Old 10.03.2015, 14:16
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 10,768
Groaned at 227 Times in 191 Posts
Thanked 22,433 Times in 9,526 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Moving a snake

Quote:
View Post
What a great photo. I love the expression on the bird's face, usually how I look after looking at the check out receipt after the weekly shop!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10.03.2015, 14:27
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 21,297
Groaned at 369 Times in 284 Posts
Thanked 16,079 Times in 9,141 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Moving a snake

I'd be wary of that one. As far as I know any pet arriving by private plane can't be admitted. That was certainly the case when the scheme was first introduced, because they actually had someone trying it in the "Animal Airport" tv series and the dog had to be sent back to the country it flew from.

Also that company isn't on the DEFRA approved airline list.

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...tes-150225.pdf

Whether that would apply for a snake I don't know though.

Doesn't seem to be any restrictions:

"There are no restrictions on bringing pet rodents, rabbits, birds, ornamental fish, invertebrates, amphibians and reptiles to the UK from other EU countries.
Pet rabbits and rodents from countries outside the EU must spend 4 months in quarantine. They need a rabies import licence.
Contact the Centre for International Trade (Carlisle) for more information on the rules for travelling with these or other species of pet."

https://www.gov.uk/take-pet-abroad

Maybe considering driving over? As you have to leave your pet in the car on the ferry anyway, maybe they'd be okay with it. Or perhaps Eurotunnel? Otherwise, I think a professional animal importer is the only way you could do it.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10.03.2015, 16:17
22 yards's Avatar
Only in moderation
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Basel-Land
Posts: 8,731
Groaned at 257 Times in 210 Posts
Thanked 17,567 Times in 7,141 Posts
22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Moving a snake

Quote:
View Post
It's a popular form of transport these days.








Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank 22 yards for this useful post:
  #16  
Old 10.03.2015, 16:35
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Vaud
Posts: 131
Groaned at 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 106 Times in 47 Posts
AroundTown is considered knowledgeableAroundTown is considered knowledgeableAroundTown is considered knowledgeable
Re: Moving a snake

If you can take dogs on planes, I don't really understand why not a snake...
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10.03.2015, 16:37
donpiedro's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Nyon
Posts: 615
Groaned at 23 Times in 19 Posts
Thanked 849 Times in 329 Posts
donpiedro has earned the respect of manydonpiedro has earned the respect of manydonpiedro has earned the respect of many
Re: Moving a snake

Quote:
View Post
Time to dust off Plan B....
Plan B = eat the snake?
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 10.03.2015, 17:45
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 9,364
Groaned at 389 Times in 337 Posts
Thanked 16,369 Times in 8,880 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Moving a snake

Quote:
View Post
I'd be wary of that one. As far as I know any pet arriving by private plane can't be admitted. That was certainly the case when the scheme was first introduced, because they actually had someone trying it in the "Animal Airport" tv series and the dog had to be sent back to the country it flew from.

Also that company isn't on the DEFRA approved airline list.

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...tes-150225.pdf

Whether that would apply for a snake I don't know though.

Doesn't seem to be any restrictions:

"There are no restrictions on bringing pet rodents, rabbits, birds, ornamental fish, invertebrates, amphibians and reptiles to the UK from other EU countries.
Pet rabbits and rodents from countries outside the EU must spend 4 months in quarantine. They need a rabies import licence.
Contact the Centre for International Trade (Carlisle) for more information on the rules for travelling with these or other species of pet."

https://www.gov.uk/take-pet-abroad

Maybe considering driving over? As you have to leave your pet in the car on the ferry anyway, maybe they'd be okay with it. Or perhaps Eurotunnel? Otherwise, I think a professional animal importer is the only way you could do it.
About "As far as I know any pet arriving by private plane can't be admitted. "

I believe that rule only applies to dogs, cats, ferrets and horses look here? There are only certain carriers permitted to carry these into the UK.
Different rules for non EU pets.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 11.03.2015, 07:52
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Wollerau
Posts: 10
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
One non blonde has no particular reputation at present
Re: Moving a snake

Quote:
View Post
I'd be wary of that one. As far as I know any pet arriving by private plane can't be admitted. That was certainly the case when the scheme was first introduced, because they actually had someone trying it in the "Animal Airport" tv series and the dog had to be sent back to the country it flew from.

Also that company isn't on the DEFRA approved airline list.

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...tes-150225.pdf

Whether that would apply for a snake I don't know though.

Doesn't seem to be any restrictions:

"There are no restrictions on bringing pet rodents, rabbits, birds, ornamental fish, invertebrates, amphibians and reptiles to the UK from other EU countries.
Pet rabbits and rodents from countries outside the EU must spend 4 months in quarantine. They need a rabies import licence.
Contact the Centre for International Trade (Carlisle) for more information on the rules for travelling with these or other species of pet."

https://www.gov.uk/take-pet-abroad

Maybe considering driving over? As you have to leave your pet in the car on the ferry anyway, maybe they'd be okay with it. Or perhaps Eurotunnel? Otherwise, I think a professional animal importer is the only way you could do it.


Thanks for the add'l info. I've come to the same conclusion that it's either drive or use a specialist importer and unfortunately neither of these is really on the cards. The cost to import just seems to high. So, if anyone is interested.... (cage not included as we've promised the boys another one when we get to England)
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 22.05.2015, 16:30
Sutter's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Thurgau
Posts: 5,802
Groaned at 68 Times in 48 Posts
Thanked 2,824 Times in 1,605 Posts
Sutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Moving a snake

Quote:
View Post
Thanks for the add'l info. I've come to the same conclusion that it's either drive or use a specialist importer and unfortunately neither of these is really on the cards. The cost to import just seems to high. So, if anyone is interested.... (cage not included as we've promised the boys another one when we get to England)
What kind of snake I used to keep snakes in the UK :P
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Snake around Zurich Lake rlchen Daily life 37 20.05.2016 20:22
Help to identify snake ACM Other/general 34 29.05.2013 16:48
Snake life i-b-deborah Pet corner 51 08.02.2012 11:31
Snake in my garden Nev Other/general 42 20.06.2011 11:39
Snake Oil Polorise Jokes/funnies 1 31.05.2007 11:29


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 18:56.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0