Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Pet corner  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 20.11.2018, 07:02
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Zurich
Posts: 11
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
hsqkenneth has made some interesting contributions
Aquariums/fishkeeping?

Hello, I'm an exchange student from Singapore Just wondering, are there very few fishkeepers in Switzerland? I live in Zurich and I have yet to see an aquarium shop or seen a fish tank...unlike in Singapore where aquarium shops are in almost every neighbourhood.


Slightly puzzled...Seems like most people keep dogs and cats instead?


Also, does anyone know of any good aquarium stores to visit nearby Zurich?


Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 20.11.2018, 08:38
MsWorWoo's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zürich Nord
Posts: 1,813
Groaned at 48 Times in 28 Posts
Thanked 2,881 Times in 1,089 Posts
MsWorWoo has a reputation beyond reputeMsWorWoo has a reputation beyond reputeMsWorWoo has a reputation beyond reputeMsWorWoo has a reputation beyond reputeMsWorWoo has a reputation beyond reputeMsWorWoo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Aquariums/fishkeeping?

Most pet shops have a fish section, but I don’t think there are many fish only shops.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 20.11.2018, 08:52
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: SZ
Posts: 9,615
Groaned at 23 Times in 22 Posts
Thanked 21,324 Times in 6,850 Posts
meloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Aquariums/fishkeeping?

Many people keep fish, but it is a rather specialist hobby.

The equipment is not inexpensive, and of course one must have the space required for a tank of the appropriate size. (Size of tank vs number of fish is regulated under the animal welfare law.)

If you do a search on 'aquarium' you will find a few threads with links to suppliers in the Zürich area. Or scroll to the bottom of this page for links. A few EF members keep fish..

As an FYI for anyone in the Zurich area interested in getting into fish: keep the Fischauffangstation in mind. This is a 'Tierheim' for no-longer-wanted aquarium fish, they are often looking for new homes for some of their charges. A resource for anyone looking to start fishkeeping or expand their aquarium.

http://www.fischauffangstation.ch/in...artphone=force

(Yes, the pet homeless problem extends to all species.)
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank meloncollie for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 20.11.2018, 09:00
TobiasM's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Zürich
Posts: 1,423
Groaned at 182 Times in 130 Posts
Thanked 2,684 Times in 1,249 Posts
TobiasM has a reputation beyond reputeTobiasM has a reputation beyond reputeTobiasM has a reputation beyond reputeTobiasM has a reputation beyond reputeTobiasM has a reputation beyond reputeTobiasM has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Aquariums/fishkeeping?

Quote:
View Post
Hello, I'm an exchange student from Singapore Just wondering, are there very few fishkeepers in Switzerland? I live in Zurich and I have yet to see an aquarium shop or seen a fish tank...unlike in Singapore where aquarium shops are in almost every neighbourhood.


Slightly puzzled...Seems like most people keep dogs and cats instead?


Also, does anyone know of any good aquarium stores to visit nearby Zurich?


Thanks!

The pet shop at Limmat Quai (Qualipet I think) has a selection of Tropical Freshwater fish and reptiles.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 20.11.2018, 10:11
Helm's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zürich<->St.Gallen
Posts: 2,197
Groaned at 13 Times in 13 Posts
Thanked 4,091 Times in 1,359 Posts
Helm has a reputation beyond reputeHelm has a reputation beyond reputeHelm has a reputation beyond reputeHelm has a reputation beyond reputeHelm has a reputation beyond reputeHelm has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Aquariums/fishkeeping?

There's a lot of fish enthusiasts.

You can check the Qualipet stores, as previously mentioned, and the Hornbach in Galgenen, which has a large variety of fish and all the equipment that goes with it.

I used to have a huge aquarium as a kid and I loved it, so I like to take the sprout see the pretty fishes in Hornbach. My favourite were always the Tiger Plecos - not shiny, I know, but they just look adorable.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 20.11.2018, 11:07
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Zurich
Posts: 11
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
hsqkenneth has made some interesting contributions
Re: Aquariums/fishkeeping?

Wow, this Fischauffangstation thing is amazing...I'd never thought there'd be something like it.

Maybe it'd be a good idea for Singapore to have one too. Many people keep all kinds of exotic freshwater species and unfortunately some ended up releasing them into the local water bodies and disrupting the ecosystem (e.g. freshwater stingrays in reservoirs where I used to kayak D: )


Thanks for the tip!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 20.11.2018, 11:15
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Zurich
Posts: 11
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
hsqkenneth has made some interesting contributions
Re: Aquariums/fishkeeping?

(whoops, meant to quote meloncollie in the post above)


Quote:
View Post
There's a lot of fish enthusiasts.

You can check the Qualipet stores, as previously mentioned, and the Hornbach in Galgenen, which has a large variety of fish and all the equipment that goes with it.

I used to have a huge aquarium as a kid and I loved it, so I like to take the sprout see the pretty fishes in Hornbach. My favourite were always the Tiger Plecos - not shiny, I know, but they just look adorable.

I'm with you on the tiger plecos :P


thanks for the pointers everyone!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 22.11.2018, 17:41
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: VD
Posts: 113
Groaned at 5 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 35 Times in 25 Posts
Ridgeway is considered unworthyRidgeway is considered unworthyRidgeway is considered unworthy
Re: Aquariums/fishkeeping?

Fish keeping is a relatively small hobby in CH although there are plenty of passionate people around. Apartment life lends itself very well to having an aquarium so you'll be surprised at just how many people do or have had an aquarium at some point. Cost is a significant issue here in CH as pretty much everything costs 30-40% more than neighbouring countries but unless you want to buy CITES controlled animals then you can easily step over the border to get what you need. The Kölle Zoo chain in DE have very good (for a chain) aquatic departments, the one i know is in Weil am Rhein near Basel so not too far away. I buy most of my needs from across Europe, mainly UK, DE, FR and IT, this morning we had a fish delivery from Masterfisch who i can highly recommend.

Also keep an eye out for your local "bourse" (in French) that many aquatic clubs run once p/yr in the winter. Loads of enthusiast attending and lots of bargains to be had, for sure they'll be one in Zurich or near about.

Are you a fresh water or salt water person

Here we only run 1 aquarium now but it is about 4,000ltrs which keeps us quite busy.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 22.11.2018, 19:00
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Zurich
Posts: 11
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
hsqkenneth has made some interesting contributions
Re: Aquariums/fishkeeping?

Quote:
View Post
Fish keeping is a relatively small hobby in CH although there are plenty of passionate people around. Apartment life lends itself very well to having an aquarium so you'll be surprised at just how many people do or have had an aquarium at some point. Cost is a significant issue here in CH as pretty much everything costs 30-40% more than neighbouring countries but unless you want to buy CITES controlled animals then you can easily step over the border to get what you need. The Kölle Zoo chain in DE have very good (for a chain) aquatic departments, the one i know is in Weil am Rhein near Basel so not too far away. I buy most of my needs from across Europe, mainly UK, DE, FR and IT, this morning we had a fish delivery from Masterfisch who i can highly recommend.

Also keep an eye out for your local "bourse" (in French) that many aquatic clubs run once p/yr in the winter. Loads of enthusiast attending and lots of bargains to be had, for sure they'll be one in Zurich or near about.

Are you a fresh water or salt water person

Here we only run 1 aquarium now but it is about 4,000ltrs which keeps us quite busy.
Thanks for the headsup! Will definitely check out the bourse.

I've always been keeping freshwater aquariums because they're simpler (and cheaper, I'm a student with no income...haha). But my aquariums back home have always been pretty small - a few feet long at most, since apartments in Singapore aren't generally big. I like my tanks with lots of fast growing plants and a low bioload for minimal maintenance

4,000 ltrs is huge! What do you have in there??
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 22.11.2018, 20:07
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: VD
Posts: 113
Groaned at 5 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 35 Times in 25 Posts
Ridgeway is considered unworthyRidgeway is considered unworthyRidgeway is considered unworthy
Re: Aquariums/fishkeeping?

Quote:
View Post
Thanks for the headsup! Will definitely check out the bourse.

I've always been keeping freshwater aquariums because they're simpler (and cheaper, I'm a student with no income...haha). But my aquariums back home have always been pretty small - a few feet long at most, since apartments in Singapore aren't generally big. I like my tanks with lots of fast growing plants and a low bioload for minimal maintenance

4,000 ltrs is huge! What do you have in there??
If you want any free glass aquariums i have several here, probably 5-8 in the garage. The main display tank here is a full reef aquarium, mainly hard coral (that will be getting a big trim back at Christmas) and of course lots of fish, around 110 approx.

Yes try the bourse it's a great day out and bargains to be had !

I remember some of the fish shops in Singapore i've visited, one street (can't remember it's name) had literally 10's of fish shops down there.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 22.11.2018, 21:06
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Zurich
Posts: 11
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
hsqkenneth has made some interesting contributions
Re: Aquariums/fishkeeping?

Quote:
View Post
If you want any free glass aquariums i have several here, probably 5-8 in the garage. The main display tank here is a full reef aquarium, mainly hard coral (that will be getting a big trim back at Christmas) and of course lots of fish, around 110 approx.

Yes try the bourse it's a great day out and bargains to be had !

I remember some of the fish shops in Singapore i've visited, one street (can't remember it's name) had literally 10's of fish shops down there.

Ooh...sounds awesome!! Not sure if I envy you or your fishes more for having such a big tank!



Thanks for the offer, unfortunately I'll be returning to Singapore in 2 months' time (since I'm only here on exchange) and it wouldn't be convenient...otherwise I'd jump on it! ><



Yes, there's quite a few streets with a congregation of fish shops...Clementi, Serangoon North, the various farmways...I stay in one of them and that's how I caught the fishkeeping bug as a kid I think we used to be one of the top ornamental fish exporters, though the industry seems to have shrunk somewhat as the country developed and moved away from agricultural-related sectors...
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Large aquariums in around Zurich? satans worm Other/general 1 24.08.2013 08:11
how to soften water for aquariums sups Pet corner 11 31.03.2011 09:16


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 20:27.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0