Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Pet corner  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11.12.2018, 17:07
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Embrach
Posts: 7
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tomasito has no particular reputation at present
Irresponsible pet owner

Hello,

So, yesterday I went for a walk and had unpleasant meeting with an angry dog. He was running towards me, then came closer and barked around my legs and looked agressive. I saw the owner, she was quite far from him, but haven't even called him back. Dog persisted with his behaviour so I got angry and started to wave with the backpack at him (yeah, you would probably say that it's not the most clever decision, but I was so angry that the woman doesn't care about her dog and the dog was running around agressively). I'm an animal person, I like dogs too, but if I'm being harassed by the angry dog for my own safety I can easily injure him and not feel guilty at all. Back to the story: so, the woman finally came to me and haven't even said I'm sorry. I asked what the hell she is thinking not doing anything or walking the dog on the leash she said that its normal to walk dogs without it and that she knows her dog really well and he will never do anything to anybody. As far as I know, dogs need to be well trained to come to the owner when called which was not the case this time. So, the question is can I report her to somebody? Is it worth it? I live in a small town in Zurich kanton, I'm walking around a lot, if I will meet her again with an unleashed dog, what would I do? And what happens if he tries to bite and I kick him or sth? Then I will be the evil one?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11.12.2018, 17:12
bigblue2's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Glarus
Posts: 7,611
Groaned at 445 Times in 377 Posts
Thanked 12,947 Times in 5,163 Posts
bigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Irresponsible pet owner

well if you try to kick an angry dog at the very least you'll get bit!!
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank bigblue2 for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 11.12.2018, 17:21
Sandgrounder's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: ZH
Posts: 12,730
Groaned at 109 Times in 101 Posts
Thanked 22,345 Times in 8,612 Posts
Sandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Irresponsible pet owner

Without actually being attacked or injured I'm not sure what you could report, though?

Are you sure it was aggressive at first, and not just boisterous? I guess any dog will become aggressive if you flap your bag at it or make other sudden moves or even go to kick it.

I agree a badly disciplined dog is not safe to have off the lead and could frighten or even injure kids or other dogs.

Are you sure she was calling it back?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11.12.2018, 17:42
omtatsat's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Timbuktoo/Zürich
Posts: 7,081
Groaned at 1,227 Times in 662 Posts
Thanked 2,881 Times in 1,876 Posts
omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat
Re: Irresponsible pet owner

Quote:
View Post
Hello,

So, yesterday I went for a walk and had unpleasant meeting with an angry dog. He was running towards me, then came closer and barked around my legs and looked agressive. I saw the owner, she was quite far from him, but haven't even called him back. Dog persisted with his behaviour so I got angry and started to wave with the backpack at him (yeah, you would probably say that it's not the most clever decision, but I was so angry that the woman doesn't care about her dog and the dog was running around agressively). I'm an animal person, I like dogs too, but if I'm being harassed by the angry dog for my own safety I can easily injure him and not feel guilty at all. Back to the story: so, the woman finally came to me and haven't even said I'm sorry. I asked what the hell she is thinking not doing anything or walking the dog on the leash she said that its normal to walk dogs without it and that she knows her dog really well and he will never do anything to anybody. As far as I know, dogs need to be well trained to come to the owner when called which was not the case this time. So, the question is can I report her to somebody? Is it worth it? I live in a small town in Zurich kanton, I'm walking around a lot, if I will meet her again with an unleashed dog, what would I do? And what happens if he tries to bite and I kick him or sth? Then I will be the evil one?

The Law is dogs must be kept on a leash in the following locations:

in public buildings,
on busy roads,
in public transport, at train stations and at stops,
in places that have been signaled by the competent authorities.

And if you bite the dog you can be charged!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11.12.2018, 17:45
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Embrach
Posts: 7
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tomasito has no particular reputation at present
Re: Irresponsible pet owner

So it's normal here that the dog can run at you and bark around the legs? I'm sure that if I would have continued walking or running he would have bit me.

So next time I need to let him to bite and then I can report about it?

Owner haven't called him at all.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11.12.2018, 17:47
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: SZ
Posts: 9,405
Groaned at 23 Times in 22 Posts
Thanked 20,844 Times in 6,679 Posts
meloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Irresponsible pet owner

I'm sorry to hear that the owner did not see that her dog made you uncomfortable and failed to then take appropriate action.

As an FYI in canton Zürich dogs are indeed allowed off lead, unless in an area otherwise signed, or a type of area that falls under the general restriction list. Additionally the federal TSchV encourages off lead exercise for those dogs appropriately trained, where cantonal and local law allows.

But that said, all dog owners should understand that even when cantonal or local law allows off lead running that is not a license to run riot. Dogs must be under control at all times and not bother other people. 'Control' may be either voice control when reliably trained or on lead if training is not yet at the point where recall is reliable and immediate.

There are two legal points: Dogs may be off lead, but also:

9.1 from the ZH cantonal Hundegesetz:

Hunde sind so zu halten, zu führen oder zu beaufsichtigen, dass sie weder Mensch noch Tier gefährden, belästigen oder in der bestimmungsgemässen und sicheren Nutzung des frei zugänglichen Raumes beeinträchtigen und die Umwelt nicht gefährden (§ 9 Abs. 1 HuG/ZH).

(Roughly: Dogs are to be kept, led, or supervised in such a way that they do not endanger, annoy or impair humans or animals in the intended and safe use of publicly accessible areas, and that they do not endanger the environment.)

So if your dog is off lead you must still have him under control at all times. If your dog's recall is imperfect, if your dog tends to run too far from you - time to re-leash.

And even under standard etiquette and basic decency it is obvious that dogs should not be allowed to run up to or contact people with out their permission. Allowing unwanted contact is wrong, ill mannered - and dangerous for both people and dogs. When asked, the polite thing to do is to immediately recall the dog and kept close or on lead.

You can read more about the ZH dog laws in this summary from Tier Im Recht: https://www.tierimrecht.org/de/recht/hunderecht/zurich/

---

If you felt the dog was 'extraordinarily' aggressive and that you were threatened, you could make a report to the cantonal Veterinäramt. Here is the form:
https://veta.zh.ch/internet/gesundhe...170630-def.pdf

(But to be honest, unless you know the name of the owner this is not very likely to go anywhere.)

---

When I encounter difficult owners I have found the easiest way to get the point across is to quote chapter and verse of the cantonal dog law. About half the people I run into say that they had no idea... and many do try to do better next time.

---

Yet again I will mourn the badly thought out decision to do away with the SKN classes, and hope that ZH does not follow suit and do away with the List 1 course requirements. While the former was far from perfect and the latter should have applied to all dog owners regardless of size, mandatory courses at least gave owners the basic information needed to help their dogs live well in our human society. We have seen so much backsliding since the abolition.

Too many dog owners do not understand their responsibilities under federal, cantonal, and local law. Or under basic etiquette and common decency.


---

As to your wanting to kick the dog - that is a very bad idea, for many reasons but not the least because you will likely end up getting hurt.

To understand how both dog owners and non-owners who encounter dogs should comport themselves in order that both groups can live in some semblence of harmony, the ZH Veterinäramt has put out a Code Of Conduct for Dog Owners and Non Owners, conveniently in English:

https://veta.zh.ch/internet/gesundhe...12englisch.pdf

When you find yourself in an uncomfortable situation with a dog, please follow the advice given here.
Reply With Quote
The following 6 users would like to thank meloncollie for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 11.12.2018, 17:47
omtatsat's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Timbuktoo/Zürich
Posts: 7,081
Groaned at 1,227 Times in 662 Posts
Thanked 2,881 Times in 1,876 Posts
omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat
Re: Irresponsible pet owner

Quote:
View Post
So it's normal here that the dog can run at you and bark around the legs? I'm sure that if I would have continued walking or running he would have bit me.

So next time I need to let him to bite and then I can report about it?

Owner haven't called him at all.
The dog is just testing you . Come on.
Reply With Quote
This user groans at omtatsat for this post:
  #8  
Old 11.12.2018, 17:49
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Embrach
Posts: 7
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tomasito has no particular reputation at present
Re: Irresponsible pet owner

Quote:
View Post
The Law is dogs must be kept on a leash in the following locations:

in public buildings,
on busy roads,
in public transport, at train stations and at stops,
in places that have been signaled by the competent authorities.

And if you bite the dog you can be charged!

I was walking near the forest, but it was busy with people. So it means that the dog owner had the right to have the dog without the leash, even though he was running in the field with some vegetables growing.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11.12.2018, 17:51
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Embrach
Posts: 7
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tomasito has no particular reputation at present
Re: Irresponsible pet owner

Quote:
View Post
The dog is just testing you . Come on.
Wouldn't you be afraid of the unknown angry dog? If it would have been a guinea pig sized dog then yeah, no problem. But when its knee sized dog it's no joke.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11.12.2018, 17:57
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Embrach
Posts: 7
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tomasito has no particular reputation at present
Re: Irresponsible pet owner

Quote:
View Post
I'm sorry to hear that the owner did not see that her dog made you uncomfortable and failed to then take appropriate action.

As an FYI in canton Zürich dogs are indeed allowed off lead, unless in an area otherwise signed, or a type of area that falls under the general restriction list. Additionally the federal TSchV encourages off lead exercise for those dogs appropriately trained, where cantonal and local law allows.

But that said, all dog owners should understand that even when cantonal or local law allows off lead running that is not a license to run riot. Dogs must be under control at all times and not bother other people. 'Control' may be either voice control when reliably trained or on lead if training is not yet at the point where recall is reliable and immediate.

There are two legal points: Dogs may be off lead, but also:

9.1 from the ZH cantonal Hundegesetz:

Hunde sind so zu halten, zu führen oder zu beaufsichtigen, dass sie weder Mensch noch Tier gefährden, belästigen oder in der bestimmungsgemässen und sicheren Nutzung des frei zugänglichen Raumes beeinträchtigen und die Umwelt nicht gefährden (§ 9 Abs. 1 HuG/ZH).

(Roughly: Dogs are to be kept, led, or supervised in such a way that they do not endanger, annoy or impair humans or animals in the intended and safe use of publicly accessible areas, and that they do not endanger the environment.)

So if your dog is off lead you must still have him under control at all times. If your dog's recall is imperfect, if your dog tends to run too far from you - time to re-leash.

And even under standard etiquette and basic decency it is obvious that dogs should not be allowed to run up to or contact people with out their permission. Allowing unwanted contact is wrong, ill mannered - and dangerous for both people and dogs. When asked, the polite thing to do is to immediately recall the dog and kept close or on lead.

You can read more about the ZH dog laws in this summary from Tier Im Recht: https://www.tierimrecht.org/de/recht/hunderecht/zurich/

---

If you felt the dog was 'extraordinarily' aggressive and that you were threatened, you could make a report to the cantonal Veterinäramt. Here is the form:
https://veta.zh.ch/internet/gesundhe...170630-def.pdf

(But to be honest, unless you know the name of the owner this is not very likely to go anywhere.)

---

When I encounter difficult owners I have found the easiest way to get the point across is to quote chapter and verse of the cantonal dog law. About half the people I run into say that they had no idea... and many do try to do better next time.

---

Yet again I will mourn the badly thought out decision to do away with the SKN classes, and hope that ZH does not follow suit and do away with the List 1 course requirements. While the former was far from perfect and the latter should have applied to all dog owners regardless of size, mandatory courses at least gave owners the basic information needed to help their dogs live well in our human society. We have seen so much backsliding since the abolition.

Too many dog owners do not understand their responsibilities under federal, cantonal, and local law. Or under basic etiquette and common decency.


---

As to your wanting to kick the dog - that is a very bad idea, for many reasons but not the least because you will likely end up getting hurt.

To understand how both dog owners and non-owners who encounter dogs should comport themselves in order that both groups can live in some semblence of harmony, the ZH Veterinäramt has put out a Code Of Conduct for Dog Owners and Non Owners, conveniently in English:

https://veta.zh.ch/internet/gesundhe...12englisch.pdf

When you find yourself in an uncomfortable situation with a dog, please follow the advice given here.
Thanks a lot for the usefull info! It's all clear now. Made my day.

Last edited by Ace1; 05.01.2019 at 11:37. Reason: fixed quote
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11.12.2018, 18:03
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Leimbach, Zürich
Posts: 4,501
Groaned at 243 Times in 198 Posts
Thanked 4,776 Times in 2,421 Posts
EdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Irresponsible pet owner

Quote:
View Post
Owner haven't called him at all.
&

Quote:
View Post
As far as I know, dogs need to be well trained to come to the owner when called which was not the case this time.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank EdwinNL for this useful post:
  #12  
Old 11.12.2018, 18:08
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Embrach
Posts: 7
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tomasito has no particular reputation at present
Re: Irresponsible pet owner

Sorry, I was quite in a rush posting this, made a mistake.
Owner saw everything from the beginning, but haven't called him or at least I haven't heard it.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05.01.2019, 11:28
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: AG, ZH, ZG
Posts: 71
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 90 Times in 49 Posts
CherryTree2014 has earned some respectCherryTree2014 has earned some respect
Re: Irresponsible pet owner

Quote:
View Post
I'm sorry to hear that the owner did not see that her dog made you uncomfortable and failed to then take appropriate action.

As an FYI in canton Zürich dogs are indeed allowed off lead, unless in an area otherwise signed, or a type of area that falls under the general restriction list. Additionally the federal TSchV encourages off lead exercise for those dogs appropriately trained, where cantonal and local law allows.

But that said, all dog owners should understand that even when cantonal or local law allows off lead running that is not a license to run riot. Dogs must be under control at all times and not bother other people. 'Control' may be either voice control when reliably trained or on lead if training is not yet at the point where recall is reliable and immediate.

There are two legal points: Dogs may be off lead, but also:

9.1 from the ZH cantonal Hundegesetz:

Hunde sind so zu halten, zu führen oder zu beaufsichtigen, dass sie weder Mensch noch Tier gefährden, belästigen oder in der bestimmungsgemässen und sicheren Nutzung des frei zugänglichen Raumes beeinträchtigen und die Umwelt nicht gefährden (§ 9 Abs. 1 HuG/ZH).

(Roughly: Dogs are to be kept, led, or supervised in such a way that they do not endanger, annoy or impair humans or animals in the intended and safe use of publicly accessible areas, and that they do not endanger the environment.)

So if your dog is off lead you must still have him under control at all times. If your dog's recall is imperfect, if your dog tends to run too far from you - time to re-leash.

And even under standard etiquette and basic decency it is obvious that dogs should not be allowed to run up to or contact people with out their permission. Allowing unwanted contact is wrong, ill mannered - and dangerous for both people and dogs. When asked, the polite thing to do is to immediately recall the dog and kept close or on lead.

You can read more about the ZH dog laws in this summary from Tier Im Recht: https://www.tierimrecht.org/de/recht/hunderecht/zurich/

---

If you felt the dog was 'extraordinarily' aggressive and that you were threatened, you could make a report to the cantonal Veterinäramt. Here is the form:
https://veta.zh.ch/internet/gesundhe...170630-def.pdf

(But to be honest, unless you know the name of the owner this is not very likely to go anywhere.)

---

When I encounter difficult owners I have found the easiest way to get the point across is to quote chapter and verse of the cantonal dog law. About half the people I run into say that they had no idea... and many do try to do better next time.

---

Yet again I will mourn the badly thought out decision to do away with the SKN classes, and hope that ZH does not follow suit and do away with the List 1 course requirements. While the former was far from perfect and the latter should have applied to all dog owners regardless of size, mandatory courses at least gave owners the basic information needed to help their dogs live well in our human society. We have seen so much backsliding since the abolition.

Too many dog owners do not understand their responsibilities under federal, cantonal, and local law. Or under basic etiquette and common decency.


---

As to your wanting to kick the dog - that is a very bad idea, for many reasons but not the least because you will likely end up getting hurt.

To understand how both dog owners and non-owners who encounter dogs should comport themselves in order that both groups can live in some semblence of harmony, the ZH Veterinäramt has put out a Code Of Conduct for Dog Owners and Non Owners, conveniently in English:

https://veta.zh.ch/internet/gesundhe...12englisch.pdf

When you find yourself in an uncomfortable situation with a dog, please follow the advice given here.
Once again well written! Thank you.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank CherryTree2014 for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
irresponsible pharmacist in Apotheke jyoo Complaints corner 132 16.07.2017 17:30
Misogynistic pet owner peppersprayed my cow adrianlondon General off-topic 26 20.03.2013 13:38
Has anybody written the pet owner's test? Bobby.Buchi Pet corner 15 15.08.2010 20:07
Irresponsible dog owner. summerrain Complaints corner 73 21.04.2010 16:04
Pet camel kills lady owner mimi1981 General off-topic 3 20.08.2007 18:00


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 16:45.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0