English Forum Switzerland

English Forum Switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php)
-   Pet corner (https://www.englishforum.ch/pet-corner/)
-   -   Looking for dog harness with front and back leash connectors (https://www.englishforum.ch/pet-corner/298143-looking-dog-harness-front-back-leash-connectors.html)

Guest 17.05.2020 10:44

Looking for dog harness with front and back leash connectors
 
We use what is called a "no pull harness" for our 18 month GSD which is one that has a lead connector at both the front and on the back. While his manners are much, much better as he is getting older, he can still sometimes pull especially when excited and the no pull harness makes a huge difference. (As he pulls definitely no collar)

I currently use the 4More one from Fresnapf and it is an extremely good harness and ticks all the boxes. Well made, very adjustable, comes in XL and suitable for dog with long back. It also the Y shape with no horizontal strap to impede free motion of the shoulders (extremely important)

Following Sarah Fisher's methods, she strongly recommends having several different brands/styles of harness as using the same piece of equipment all the time can result in imbalance and result in pressure somewhere on the dog's body. Rather like always wearing one particular pair of high heel shoes (women only but otherwise not judging!)

I have tried Fresnapf, Meiko and Qualipet and nothing. Sarah does have her own brand but UK manufacture is closed. Does anyone have any suggestions please

meloncollie 17.05.2020 11:32

Re: Looking for dog harness with front and back leash connectors
 
I'm a big Ruffwear fan; the Muttley Crew wear several of their harnesses.

The Front Range has two leash clips. This is our 'every day' harness.
https://ruffwear.com/collections/dog...ay-dog-harness

I see they have a new harness, the Flagline, that has three clip options:
https://ruffwear.com/collections/dog...rness-flagline

I like that this has a handle, and your post just inspired me to order one for Her Wobbliness. :)

My oldies and wobblies have all worn the Webmaster when they needed a bit of help, this another handled harness. I can't stress enough how helpful it is to have that handle, especially with my bigger dogs. The Webmaster does not have multiple leash points, however. My Webmasters are all well over 10 years old, and still in great condition. The Frontlines are holding up equally well.

(I do not use two leash points, so I can't comment on that aspect.)

The customer service folks at Ruffwear are very helpful; if you have any sizing concerns contact them for advice.

Ruffwear will ship to Switzerland, but you can also find the harnesses on Amazon (DE).(One third party seller has the Flagline.) Here in Switzerland Meiko is a distributor, but they carry limited range. They have the Frontline in stock, btw. You can also ask them if they would be able to special order a style not usually in stock.


ETA:

If the only thing your current harness lacks is the front chest leash point, could you attach one to the harness? If you don't have the heavy-duty sewing tools to do so, any shoe repairer should be able to do that for you. You'd need to be very clear as to where the placement would be. But a DIY addition might be a less expensive option, especially as you are working out whether the two leash method works well for you and your dog. You can get D rings and carabiners at B/H, Hornbach, etc.

Island Monkey 17.05.2020 12:28

Re: Looking for dog harness with front and back leash connectors
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Dog (Post 3182366)
We use what is called a "no pull harness" for our 18 month GSD which is one that has a lead connector at both the front and on the back. While his manners are much, much better as he is getting older, he can still sometimes pull especially when excited and the no pull harness makes a huge difference. (As he pulls definitely no collar)

I currently use the 4More one from Fresnapf and it is an extremely good harness and ticks all the boxes. Well made, very adjustable, comes in XL and suitable for dog with long back. It also the Y shape with no horizontal strap to impede free motion of the shoulders (extremely important)

Following Sarah Fisher's methods, she strongly recommends having several different brands/styles of harness as using the same piece of equipment all the time can result in imbalance and result in pressure somewhere on the dog's body. Rather like always wearing one particular pair of high heel shoes (women only but otherwise not judging!)

I have tried Fresnapf, Meiko and Qualipet and nothing. Sarah does have her own brand but UK manufacture is closed. Does anyone have any suggestions please

I use a perfect fit harness https://www.dog-games-shop.co.uk/per...g-harness.html

AnnaSophiaA 17.05.2020 12:34

Re: Looking for dog harness with front and back leash connectors
 
I highly highly recommend the Swiss brand Grossenbacher. Our trainer does custom fittings—a fully tricked out custom harness cost me 80 CHF—front clip, two attachment points on the back, a handle, and even a clip on the belly for dragging a long line or for scent work. I'm very happy. You can get them at Meiko and Qualipet but they're nearly the same price custom, so I'd recommend asking them or asking Grossenbacher directly about someone in your area who does custom fittings and sends in the orders. Poke around on their website and you'll also find that they have a specific harness meant for almost exclusively front attach use, called the Guide or the Leader I think.

Ruffwear is also an excellent brand but for our Appenzeller it just didn't fit right. I also found the material to be quite heavy—a big advantage of Grossenbacher is the light but extremely resistant material and the free repairs for the lifetime of the product—even if a puppy gets ahold of a harness and chews it up.

Edit: I must add, I did try the front attach on both the Ruffwear Front Range (which really didn't fit so didn't last long for our dog) and the "regular" Grossenbacher harness that we have and while it does work I definitely wouldn't use it as the only attachment point as it pulls the harness quite a lot to the side (on both brands). So, it's not a straight substitute for the Grossenbacher Lead/Guide or for any kind of Halti type front clip only harness. So you definitely want a two leash system in my opinion on Ruffwear Front Range or on the regular Grossenbacher models.

The owners of one of my dog's sisters use the Grossenbacher front attach harness that's similar to a Halti type no pull harness and they are very satisfied with it. There's another brand, a French brand, that does a similar thing but I can't for the life of me remember the name. I've always preferred not using the kind of harness with the bar across the shoulder as that's a good way to end up with shoulder problems, but some breeds/individuals seem to use them just fine.

Personally, I am extremely happy with the custom Grossenbacher. I can't emphasise that enough. It fits her perfectly, so I know it's not going to cause issues. They developed these harnesses with advice from vets, canine chiropractors and horse saddle fitters (if you've been around horses you know how susceptible they can be to lameness issues from poorly fitted equipment). Our canine chiropractor checked it out and was very satisfied with the fit.

Edit again: just saw you don't want the bar over the shoulder. Excellent. In that case ignore what I said about the Grossenbacher Lead/Guide harness :rofl: I'd still recommend looking into a custom regular Grossenbacher as the price difference won't be much with the Ruffwear and you'll get a true custom fit, but that being said, Ruffwear is truly an excellent brand and my granted limited experience using a double leash system on both brands tends to suggest that Ruffwear stays in place slightly better, if only because of the heavier material. Try them both on if you can—Meiko carries both and should be able to help you.

Guest 17.05.2020 12:42

Re: Looking for dog harness with front and back leash connectors
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by meloncollie (Post 3182377)
I'm a big Ruffwear fan; the Muttley Crew wear several of their harnesses.

The Front Range has two leash clips. This is our 'every day' harness.
https://ruffwear.com/collections/dog...ay-dog-harness

I see they have a new harness, the Flagline, that has three clip options:
https://ruffwear.com/collections/dog...rness-flagline

I like that this has a handle, and your post just inspired me to order one for Her Wobbliness. :)

My oldies and wobblies have all worn the Webmaster when they needed a bit of help, this another handled harness. I can't stress enough how helpful it is to have that handle, especially with my bigger dogs. The Webmaster does not have multiple leash points, however. My Webmasters are all well over 10 years old, and still in great condition. The Frontlines are holding up equally well.

(I do not use two leash points, so I can't comment on that aspect.)

The customer service folks at Ruffwear are very helpful; if you have any sizing concerns contact them for advice.

Ruffwear will ship to Switzerland, but you can also find the harnesses on Amazon (DE).(One third party seller has the Flagline.) Here in Switzerland Meiko is a distributor, but they carry limited range. They have the Frontline in stock, btw. You can also ask them if they would be able to special order a style not usually in stock.


ETA:

If the only thing your current harness lacks is the front chest leash point, could you attach one to the harness? If you don't have the heavy-duty sewing tools to do so, any shoe repairer should be able to do that for you. You'd need to be very clear as to where the placement would be. But a DIY addition might be a less expensive option, especially as you are working out whether the two leash method works well for you and your dog. You can get D rings and carabiners at B/H, Hornbach, etc.


Thanks - The current harness does have both the front and back rings and we use the double connection lead. It is just that Sarah Fisher has said that it is important for him not to have the same one all the time. Really working on his body being in balance at the moment, which is doubly important because of his hip problems


He did have the Ruffwear front range as a puppy (we only used the back clip) but he outgrew it quickly. You cannot adjust the back length and it would sit to0 close to his armpits.


Good idea though on getting a regular one and getting someone to put on the second ring

Guest 17.05.2020 12:52

Re: Looking for dog harness with front and back leash connectors
 
Thank you for the responses and all very helpful. Here is a great article on the importance on the type of harness people should use



https://www.facebook.com/notes/tierp...c_location=ufi

meloncollie 17.05.2020 15:02

Re: Looking for dog harness with front and back leash connectors
 
Nowt to do with harnesses, but:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Dog (Post 3182394)
Really working on his body being in balance at the moment, which is doubly important because of his hip problems

A suggestion from Heffalump's doggy physiotherapist is that we use a t-shirt now and again as we are going about our day, either training or just hanging out. H doesn't seem to know where his back end is, or even some days that he has one.

H wears the T-shirt upside down. The tail goes through the neck opening, the back legs through the sleeves. Pull the body of the T-shirt over his back, gather into a knot to tighten.

The idea is to give him a more of a sense of where the back end is and what it's doing. It's a balance aid, similar to a TTouch wrap but covers more surface area, as it were. I've even made two T-shirts into a body suit of sorts, one worn normally, one 'upside down', connecting both Heffalump halves. I can't get a real bodysuit on Heffalump easily (haystack masquerading as a collie) so two t-shirts works better for us.

(I used to use TTouch wraps with Haifisch, but at-the-time-young Hooligan took great delight in 'unwrapping' him. Best game ever for the mutts, but we needed another approach to body work.)

Anyway - if you are looking for a variety of body sensations, a T-shirt worn around the house or at the training ground might be a simple, inexpensive option.

(Piddle first!)

Guest 17.05.2020 15:37

Re: Looking for dog harness with front and back leash connectors
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by meloncollie (Post 3182431)
Nowt to do with harnesses, but:

A suggestion from Heffalump's doggy physiotherapist is that we use a t-shirt now and again as we are going about our day, either training or just hanging out. H doesn't seem to know where his back end is, or even some days that he has one.

H wears the T-shirt upside down. The tail goes through the neck opening, the back legs through the sleeves. Pull the body of the T-shirt over his back, gather into a knot to tighten.

The idea is to give him a more of a sense of where the back end is and what it's doing. It's a balance aid, similar to a TTouch wrap but covers more surface area, as it were. I've even made two T-shirts into a body suit of sorts, one worn normally, one 'upside down', connecting both Heffalump halves. I can't get a real bodysuit on Heffalump easily (haystack masquerading as a collie) so two t-shirts works better for us.

(I used to use TTouch wraps with Haifisch, but at-the-time-young Hooligan took great delight in 'unwrapping' him. Best game ever for the mutts, but we needed another approach to body work.)

Anyway - if you are looking for a variety of body sensations, a T-shirt worn around the house or at the training ground might be a simple, inexpensive option.

(Piddle first!)


Thanks I will try that (but not with my T Shirt!). He has always walked on my right and now not sure whether I imposed that on him or it was his choice. I have now got him walking on my left sometimes. He is getting better now but, at first, he really struggled. He would lean into me or other walk in front or drop behind to get back to the right hand side, tripping me up a few timees He would even slip his head through the double lead so that the lead coming from the chest was to his right.

Guest 19.05.2020 07:42

Re: Looking for dog harness with front and back leash connectors
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Island Monkey (Post 3182387)


Thank you for the link and I have one on order from UK. It comes in 3 sections, the girth, front piece and top piece and you can have a different size for each section taking into account the dog's shape. If one of the sections is the wrong size you can return it and they will send out a new section with no extra postage charge. Given the cost of postage from CH to UK I have ordered both the M and L chest piece.


I am also going to get the TTouch harness but they are out of stock and manufacture is closed because of the virus so he will eventually have 3 different ones so I can swap them around

CodPeace 25.05.2020 20:55

Re: Looking for dog harness with front and back leash connectors
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by AnnaSophiaA (Post 3182389)
I highly highly recommend the Swiss brand Grossenbacher.

I also have the Grossenbacher.

I've made two changes to the standard. The adjusters have very sharp plastic teeth that cut through the straps after a while.
After getting the fit right, I cut them off with a craft knife, and put a few stitches through the straps to hold them in place.
When I clip him on the front to help with the tugging, I have a climbing clasp/carabiner on the back fastener that I pass the lead though, this keeps it out the way and stops the constant stepping and entanglemment issues that seem to occur using the front fastening only.
The climbing clasp is also handy for fastening him to benches or tables or whatnot as well.

CodPeace 02.10.2020 09:05

Re: Looking for dog harness with front and back leash connectors
 
1 Attachment(s)
I've now bought a 'ruffwear front range harness'.
My dog has a slight limp, seemingly from his shoulder, and I'm thinking it may be caused by the other harness.
I've had the ruffwear for a couple of weeks now. It's a bit more fiddly to put on, but as my dog is now a bit calmer it's fine.
The main benefit is when on the front clasp, the padding is sufficient enough that the shoulder is protected.

Island Monkey 02.10.2020 09:14

Re: Looking for dog harness with front and back leash connectors
 
My dog had the front range as a puppy... I liked it, but the front attachment is nowhere near strong enough to hold him!

meloncollie 02.10.2020 09:28

Re: Looking for dog harness with front and back leash connectors
 
I do love Ruffwear harnesses.

I went ahead and got the new Flagline for my (much-missed) Hooligan, it was a great help in the short time we used it. Lighter and thus more comfortable in the summer than the Webmaster. The second belt made it easier for me to help her when she needed a bit extra stability.


And FYI for those with very wobbly dogs, especially larger or long-backed dogs (as well as alpine climbers):

The Double Back full body harness is a belaying harness, designed for serious climbing with your dog. However, it also can be used as a mobility aid for dogs who have back leg/back end instability.

https://ruffwear.com/collections/dog...leback-harness

The back leg straps and double handles make supporting a dog losing hind end mobility so much easier.

The Double Back is pricey, but IMO well worth it.


ETA:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Island Monkey (Post 3222618)
My dog had the front range as a puppy... I liked it, but the front attachment is nowhere near strong enough to hold him!

If you are so inclined, you might consider writing Ruffwear to let them know of your experience. IME they are pretty responsive to customer concerns - info such as yours might help as they develop new products.


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 05:05.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0