Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Pet corner  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 06.08.2008, 01:26
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: SZ
Posts: 10,385
Groaned at 29 Times in 25 Posts
Thanked 23,801 Times in 7,502 Posts
meloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Importing a dog with docked tail/cropped ears?

Are you already resident in Switzerland, and is the dog in another country?

Is the co-owner currently resident in Switzerland, or planning to move to here?


Quote:
View Post
But, I co-own a male dog how I attended to bring to Switz too, but he is docked and this is causing me bit of worries. But if I "don't tell" - maybe there will not be problems?
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 06.08.2008, 15:28
Lea's Avatar
Lea Lea is offline
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Lugano
Posts: 26
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Lea has no particular reputation at present
Re: Importing a dog with docked tail/cropped ears?

My daughter really wants a doberman pinscher for her birthday (the whole family has agreed on this breed). Are there any breeders here in Switzerland, or are there any rescue organizations here? I've done a little research online and haven't found any in CH. I had no idea that there was a law against cropping and docking here.

Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 06.08.2008, 16:07
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Ticino
Posts: 2,872
Groaned at 91 Times in 63 Posts
Thanked 3,656 Times in 1,471 Posts
Snoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Importing a dog with docked tail/cropped ears?

Here's a link to the Animal Protection's database for rescue animals. It is in French, German or Italian.

Good luck!

http://www.tierschutz.ch/cms/de/tier...unschtier.html
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Snoopy for this useful post:
  #24  
Old 06.08.2008, 16:19
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: SZ
Posts: 10,385
Groaned at 29 Times in 25 Posts
Thanked 23,801 Times in 7,502 Posts
meloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Importing a dog with docked tail/cropped ears?

Snoopy beat me to it...

Lea,

Taking a quick look at the Tierschutz site linked above, I saw three dobies in need of homes currently listed ( as of 08.07.2008). These are in the care of F.N.A.A. Refuge de Cottendart in Neuchatel. Contact information for the rescue can be found by clicking on 'zur Anbeiter Information'.

The Tierschutz database is a Switzerland-wide listing of many dogs currently waiting for good people to give them the forever homes they so deserve - if the dobie of your dreams isn't there today, keep checking back every now and then.

There is also a German website dedicated to publicizing Dobermans in need:

http://www.dobermann-hilfe.de/frameset.htm

Do be aware that as most of these dogs are in other countries - you would only be allowed to bring one with natural ears and tails into Switzerland.

And as you are in TI, I've seen dobies at several shelters in Italy - I'll get back to you with a few links.

I would encourage you to look for a rescue dobie - they do come into shelters with some regularity - so keep an eye out on the Tierschutz website. Sadly, dobies are on the restricted list in some of the cantons with BSL, and there have been owners (people seriously lacking in intestinal fortitude ) who have dumped their dogs as a result.

While I believe TI does not restrict the breed, you will want to read up on BSL in the various cantons if you plan to travel with your dog.

Have you owned a dobie before? If not, do read up on the breed, and try to meet up with other owners to get an idea if what you can offer and what the breed needs are a good fit. (Bearing in mind, each dog is an individual, and breed standards are only a guideline.)

I've known several dobies, and each has been a lovely dog - gentle giants they are. They certainly do not deserve to be on any restricted list. (But then, no breed does - it all boils down to owner responsibility - for all dogs, all breeds - doesn't it? )

And while I will always promote rescue first, if that isn't the right choice for you, please go to a reputable SKG breeder. The Doberman club can be found here:

http://www.dobermannclub.ch/de/default.htm

Best of luck in your search.


Quote:
View Post
My daughter really wants a doberman pinscher for her birthday (the whole family has agreed on this breed). Are there any breeders here in Switzerland, or are there any rescue organizations here? I've done a little research online and haven't found any in CH. I had no idea that there was a law against cropping and docking here.

Thanks
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank meloncollie for this useful post:
  #25  
Old 06.08.2008, 16:44
Lea's Avatar
Lea Lea is offline
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Lugano
Posts: 26
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Lea has no particular reputation at present
Re: Importing a dog with docked tail/cropped ears?

Thanks, Meloncollie. I had already been on the link from Snoopy and wasn't finding anything here in Ticino. I appreciate all the references! We have researched Dobies the past few years...so I hope that we are getting ourselves well prepared and that the right one will come along!

Lea
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 07.08.2008, 13:16
Begga's Avatar
RIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Basel [Quality not Quantity]
Posts: 2,288
Groaned at 31 Times in 22 Posts
Thanked 2,879 Times in 1,067 Posts
Begga has a reputation beyond reputeBegga has a reputation beyond reputeBegga has a reputation beyond reputeBegga has a reputation beyond reputeBegga has a reputation beyond reputeBegga has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Importing a dog with docked tail/cropped ears?

Quote:
View Post
Are you already resident in Switzerland, and is the dog in another country?

Is the co-owner currently resident in Switzerland, or planning to move to here?
I all ready moved to Switzerland, but the dog is in Canada now with the 3rd co-owner, and after shows and her breeding plans, he was supposed to come to me next year to spent the rest of his life. It is a really beautiful dog, with all health results allright and lovely temprament. It would be very bad not to get him for my breeding plan (and to get his good genes to Europe).
His owner number uno is living in Australia and not planning on move to Switzerland...
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 07.08.2008, 13:47
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: SZ
Posts: 10,385
Groaned at 29 Times in 25 Posts
Thanked 23,801 Times in 7,502 Posts
meloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Importing a dog with docked tail/cropped ears?

Begga,

As you are already resident in CH, and the dog is elsewhere, this would likely fall under the ban. Unless you could prove that you owned the dog, and he was living with you as a family pet prior to your relocation, I doubt that there would be much leeway.

The law is specifically designed to prevent Swiss residents from skirting the ban by buying or adopting a dog from outside the country.

You may only import a docked or cropped dog if it was a long term family pet, and he/she is coming with you as part of a family move - or if you can prove that the amputation was medically nessessary.

(FYI, the rescue I work with was trying to help a collie who had been tortured - after being doused in acid, his paw and tail were axed off. Although this was certainly not docking in the traditional sense, chopping off the tail was not a medically nessessity (DUH!), so he fell under the ban, and we could not bring him in to CH for rehoming.)

Did you also know that it is forbidden to show a docked dog in Switzerland? As this dog is docked, he could not take part in the Swiss show circuit, so I would wonder if he would be welcomed by other Swiss breeders... you should talk directly to the Doberman club.

The only possibility I could see would be if the person with whom the dog currently lives were also relocating to Switzerland...

Do speak to BVet directly.

Quote:
View Post
I all ready moved to Switzerland, but the dog is in Canada now with the 3rd co-owner, and after shows and her breeding plans, he was supposed to come to me next year to spent the rest of his life. It is a really beautiful dog, with all health results allright and lovely temprament. It would be very bad not to get him for my breeding plan (and to get his good genes to Europe).
His owner number uno is living in Australia and not planning on move to Switzerland...
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 07.08.2008, 14:04
Begga's Avatar
RIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Basel [Quality not Quantity]
Posts: 2,288
Groaned at 31 Times in 22 Posts
Thanked 2,879 Times in 1,067 Posts
Begga has a reputation beyond reputeBegga has a reputation beyond reputeBegga has a reputation beyond reputeBegga has a reputation beyond reputeBegga has a reputation beyond reputeBegga has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Importing a dog with docked tail/cropped ears?

He is actually a German Pinscher, not a Dobermann, but that doesn't really matter...
Yes I know really that he would probably fall under the ban, but I had made this agreement to his owner while I lived in Iceland, and I think no one could blame me for really-really-REALLY want this dog I also don't want to let the owner down, she was counting on I could take care of him, and it is a problem to import him again to Australia, because of very long travel and quarantine.

In Iceland it is also illeagal to crop and dock - but if the dog is born after the ban took place (like he is), they get permission to show, and the same system is in Scandinavia. I think it is fare, I think the Swiss rules are too strict, even though I understand why it is like this (and actually like natural dogs more...). But yes, I'll admit, I have thought about it how can I go by this rule, I mean, I see docked and cropped dogs here all the time!! I don't really want to contact BVet, because I know what they will say, and then I would prefair then that they didn't know about him

And yes, the shows... well... there are also shows in other countries than Swiss that allow docked dogs....

Quote:
View Post
Begga,

As you are already resident in CH, and the dog is elsewhere, this would likely fall under the ban. Unless you could prove that you owned the dog, and he was living with you as a family pet prior to your relocation, I doubt that there would be much leeway.

The law is specifically designed to prevent Swiss residents from skirting the ban by buying or adopting a dog from outside the country.

You may only import a docked or cropped dog if it was a long term family pet, and he/she is coming with you as part of a family move - or if you can prove that the amputation was medically nessessary.

(FYI, the rescue I work with was trying to help a collie who had been tortured - after being doused in acid, his paw and tail were axed off. Although this was certainly not docking in the traditional sense, chopping off the tail was not a medically nessessity (DUH!), so he fell under the ban, and we could not bring him in to CH for rehoming.)

Did you also know that it is forbidden to show a docked dog in Switzerland? As this dog is docked, he could not take part in the Swiss show circuit, so I would wonder if he would be welcomed by other Swiss breeders... you should talk directly to the Doberman club.

The only possibility I could see would be if the person with whom the dog currently lives were also relocating to Switzerland...

Do speak to BVet directly.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 07.08.2008, 14:09
Lob's Avatar
Lob Lob is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: -
Posts: 7,814
Groaned at 45 Times in 40 Posts
Thanked 1,973 Times in 1,060 Posts
Lob has a reputation beyond reputeLob has a reputation beyond reputeLob has a reputation beyond reputeLob has a reputation beyond reputeLob has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Importing a dog with docked tail/cropped ears?

Lea, at Taverne they have SPALD. I thoroughly recommend the place (and so I should, what with my dog still on their website banner nearly 4 years later) and you might find that your mind changes when you see some of the dogs available there
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 07.08.2008, 15:44
argus's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Southern Germany; was in Zug
Posts: 3,385
Groaned at 15 Times in 14 Posts
Thanked 2,564 Times in 1,242 Posts
argus has a reputation beyond reputeargus has a reputation beyond reputeargus has a reputation beyond reputeargus has a reputation beyond reputeargus has a reputation beyond reputeargus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Importing a dog with docked tail/cropped ears?

Quote:
View Post
Lea, at Taverne they have SPALD. I thoroughly recommend the place (and so I should, what with my dog still on their website banner nearly 4 years later) and you might find that your mind changes when you see some of the dogs available there

Which is your dog, Lob? Pic 2 and 6 are really cute.

Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 07.08.2008, 15:58
Lob's Avatar
Lob Lob is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: -
Posts: 7,814
Groaned at 45 Times in 40 Posts
Thanked 1,973 Times in 1,060 Posts
Lob has a reputation beyond reputeLob has a reputation beyond reputeLob has a reputation beyond reputeLob has a reputation beyond reputeLob has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Importing a dog with docked tail/cropped ears?

Quote:
View Post
Which is your dog, Lob? Pic 2 and 6 are really cute.

top-right is my big boy
Attached Thumbnails
importing-dog-docked-tail-cropped-ears-big-boy.jpg  
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 07.08.2008, 17:31
miniMia's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: romandie
Posts: 9,993
Groaned at 101 Times in 92 Posts
Thanked 9,106 Times in 4,522 Posts
miniMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Importing a dog with docked tail/cropped ears?

Quote:
View Post
Did you also know that it is forbidden to show a docked dog in Switzerland? As this dog is docked, he could not take part in the Swiss show circuit, so I would wonder if he would be welcomed by other Swiss breeders... you should talk directly to the Doberman club.
Swiss breeders certainly wouldn't give up a good dog because he is docked, if he has good lineage, etc. There are many breeders who still have dogs in their kennels that are docked that are used for breeding. And as Begga said, there are other countries where she can show the dog.

If Begga has a registered kennel & is already listed as the owner of the dog at the kennel club where the dog is currently living, then she _could_ make case to have the dog brought in.

But again, you must talk to BVET & the SKC.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 07.08.2008, 17:51
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: basel
Posts: 11
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
RFlowers has no particular reputation at present
Re: Importing a dog with docked tail/cropped ears?

I just imported a Rottweiler from the US with no problems using a relocation company.... Cosmopolitan Canine Carriers, Inc. (800) 243-9105 - Toll Free or (203) 655-7295 - Direct

I think we had to sign a form admitting we 'abused' the dog by docking the tail, although really we adopted her. The fact that she was a rescue did not matter. Also, w
e had to get her a CH passport and get her registered as Rottweilers fall on the dangerous dogs list. So for us, it was just a matter of paperwork and fees - like most everything else.

good luck.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 07.08.2008, 18:03
Begga's Avatar
RIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Basel [Quality not Quantity]
Posts: 2,288
Groaned at 31 Times in 22 Posts
Thanked 2,879 Times in 1,067 Posts
Begga has a reputation beyond reputeBegga has a reputation beyond reputeBegga has a reputation beyond reputeBegga has a reputation beyond reputeBegga has a reputation beyond reputeBegga has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Importing a dog with docked tail/cropped ears?

ehrr... no not yet... not yet with a prefix and not yet listed as his owner... Lost case?
But if his Australian owner would just be listed as his owner, and I give up the co-owner... could he be here for a (very long) visit?? He will be 8 years when he would come to me, I had in mind to use him 1-2 times, then he was supposed to retire and spend his upper years with me. So I don't know 2 years? 3 y, 4 years?
Quote:
View Post
Swiss breeders certainly wouldn't give up a good dog because he is docked, if he has good lineage, etc. There are many breeders who still have dogs in their kennels that are docked that are used for breeding. And as Begga said, there are other countries where she can show the dog.

If Begga has a registered kennel & is already listed as the owner of the dog at the kennel club where the dog is currently living, then she _could_ make case to have the dog brought in.

But again, you must talk to BVET & the SKC.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 07.08.2008, 22:09
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: SZ
Posts: 10,385
Groaned at 29 Times in 25 Posts
Thanked 23,801 Times in 7,502 Posts
meloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Importing a dog with docked tail/cropped ears?

Begga,

If you were listed as an owner (or other documentation detailing your ownership agreement) from before the date you took up Swiss residency, perhaps you'd have a better case - it could be argued that this is different from a new acquisition...

Do speak with the breed club - I would expect that this is a subject much discussed among owners of this breed, and they could tell you best how the law is interpreted and enforced on the ground, so to speak.

(They would be a neutral party - no BVet involvement.)

Rflowers,

Did you bring your dog with you when you first moved (which would fall under the family pet exemption), or did you bring him over after you had taken up residency?
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 08.08.2008, 10:39
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: basel
Posts: 11
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
RFlowers has no particular reputation at present
Re: Importing a dog with docked tail/cropped ears?

Quote:
View Post
Begga,

If you were listed as an owner (or other documentation detailing your ownership agreement) from before the date you took up Swiss residency, perhaps you'd have a better case - it could be argued that this is different from a new acquisition...

Do speak with the breed club - I would expect that this is a subject much discussed among owners of this breed, and they could tell you best how the law is interpreted and enforced on the ground, so to speak.

(They would be a neutral party - no BVet involvement.)

Rflowers,

Did you bring your dog with you when you first moved (which would fall under the family pet exemption), or did you bring him over after you had taken up residency?
We brought her in the country 3 months after moving here. We were still finding a place and getting settled, and then the relocation company had her delievered to our permanent address. I am not sure if that qualifies for the exemption. It was nice to rely on the relo co. to handle all p/u and drop off from airport to door. plus, dealing with the authorities and all the paperwork.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank RFlowers for this useful post:
  #37  
Old 08.08.2008, 11:10
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: SZ
Posts: 10,385
Groaned at 29 Times in 25 Posts
Thanked 23,801 Times in 7,502 Posts
meloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Importing a dog with docked tail/cropped ears?

So it looks like the crux of the matter would be whether you owned the dog prior to becoming resident in Switzerland, not necessarily that the dog enters with the family at the time of the move. Very interesting...

Begga - this could be good news for you.

I would still urge you to talk to BVet - you could always ask a hypothetical quesiton 'for a friend'...

And if you do speak with BVet, would you update us? I'd like to know more about how they interpret the law.

Quote:
View Post
We brought her in the country 3 months after moving here. We were still finding a place and getting settled, and then the relocation company had her delievered to our permanent address. I am not sure if that qualifies for the exemption. It was nice to rely on the relo co. to handle all p/u and drop off from airport to door. plus, dealing with the authorities and all the paperwork.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 08.08.2008, 21:44
miniMia's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: romandie
Posts: 9,993
Groaned at 101 Times in 92 Posts
Thanked 9,106 Times in 4,522 Posts
miniMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Importing a dog with docked tail/cropped ears?

Quote:
View Post
So it looks like the crux of the matter would be whether you owned the dog prior to becoming resident in Switzerland, not necessarily that the dog enters with the family at the time of the move. Very interesting...

Begga - this could be good news for you.

I would still urge you to talk to BVet - you could always ask a hypothetical quesiton 'for a friend'...

And if you do speak with BVet, would you update us? I'd like to know more about how they interpret the law.
AFAIR, the dog doesn't have to move at the same time as you. Dogs (well pets) are considered "property" (horrifying I know!) and can be imported under the same delay as with any other personal property. I can't remember if that is 6 months or a year. Anyone know?

Begga, if you don't want to call BVET yourself, I can call them for you. I've called then enough in the last few months, they won't be surprised to hear from me again!!!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank miniMia for this useful post:
  #39  
Old 11.08.2008, 00:55
Begga's Avatar
RIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Basel [Quality not Quantity]
Posts: 2,288
Groaned at 31 Times in 22 Posts
Thanked 2,879 Times in 1,067 Posts
Begga has a reputation beyond reputeBegga has a reputation beyond reputeBegga has a reputation beyond reputeBegga has a reputation beyond reputeBegga has a reputation beyond reputeBegga has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Importing a dog with docked tail/cropped ears?

Gratzi miniMia.
Well, the things that makes me delay calling Bvet over and over, is... what exactly am I going to say?

B: "yes hello, can i import a docked dog?"
Bv: "no"
B: "ohh shoot..."

Yes, I'm being a bit stubit now, I just feel like I must be very smart here and make up some perfect argue before I call... Consider of experience to other stuff I needed to ask for, I cannot always speak English when I call to ask for something, and when I need to speak German-I really cannot make an intelligent argument... (--> I am always too nervous to call...).

But if it is really not a problem for you - that would be a huge favor for me!

But to another. Animals being properties... I think it is sad it is like this also here. How is it with laws about animalís weal fear?
I am very ashamed to tell about this, but in Iceland animals are so property-liased that they are like cars. It doesn't really matter if you starve your dog, beat him up or what ever - if you paid for him, have papers about it, he is always yours
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 13.08.2008, 22:39
Dragonfly's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Vevey (Tour de Peilz) Switzerland
Posts: 40
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Dragonfly has no particular reputation at present
Re: Importing a dog with docked tail/cropped ears?

I just arrived in Vevey from Malta with my Weimaraner. He was given to me as a puppy and already had a docked tail. I asked the Swiss consulate and they told me that it is illegal to have a dock a dog's tail or ears, but if you can prove that he has been your pet for a long time, that his health record is ok (rabies, blood tests, misrochip, deworming tablets and ant fleas), then all is ok. However, if i were you, i would get a letter from my vet stating that it has been docked for a long time and that he is not a fighting dog and that in the country o origin, it is normal practice and not illegal. That is what i had to do anyway, and it worked It was not easy getting him through customs though as i arrived in zurich at 5 and the vet had left. Moreover, I had to pay about 500CHF for handling fees for my dog and 3 cats. anyway, they are all safe and sound now
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
pets




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT +2. The time now is 01:17.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0