English Forum Switzerland

English Forum Switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php)
-   Pet corner (https://www.englishforum.ch/pet-corner/)
-   -   Dealing with pet insurance (https://www.englishforum.ch/pet-corner/302240-dealing-pet-insurance.html)

John_H 18.01.2021 13:38

Dealing with pet insurance
 
We have a 10 year old Frenchie.. We've only had it a couple of years, from a reputable rescue assoc.. I took insurance with Epona and so far have never made a claim.

My question is around what do you claim for.? Do you claim everything?
IE. Initially because of its age, Epona wanted a full vet check before they'd cover it fully.. We did that and now it's fully covered. I didn't submit a claim for that bill.
Dog was sick another time and vet gave it some tablets which cost around 100chf, I didn't claim for that.
It has typical franchie breathing / snoring issues for which we saw the standard vet 100chf . and a specialist, another 100chf. .. Now the specialist recommends an operation, 1000chf..

Should I have been claiming all of these smaller bills? Do you bother? Does it matter?

Island Monkey 18.01.2021 13:44

Re: Dealing with pet insurance
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by John_H (Post 3264759)
We have a 10 year old Frenchie.. We've only had it a couple of years, from a reputable rescue assoc.. I took insurance with Epona and so far have never made a claim.

My question is around what do you claim for.? Do you claim everything?
IE. Initially because of its age, Epona wanted a full vet check before they'd cover it fully.. We did that and now it's fully covered. I didn't submit a claim for that bill.
Dog was sick another time and vet gave it some tablets which cost around 100chf, I didn't claim for that.
It has typical franchie breathing / snoring issues for which we saw the standard vet 100chf . and a specialist, another 100chf. .. Now the specialist recommends an operation, 1000chf..

Should I have been claiming all of these smaller bills? Do you bother? Does it matter?

Same as your health insurance, you probably have a yearly excess before you get refunds. You can save the bills up until you go over the excess, then send them in together, or send them in as you get them. Next year, you start again.

kri 18.01.2021 14:14

Re: Dealing with pet insurance
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by John_H (Post 3264759)
We have a 10 year old Frenchie.. We've only had it a couple of years, from a reputable rescue assoc.. I took insurance with Epona and so far have never made a claim.

My question is around what do you claim for.? Do you claim everything?
IE. Initially because of its age, Epona wanted a full vet check before they'd cover it fully.. We did that and now it's fully covered. I didn't submit a claim for that bill.
Dog was sick another time and vet gave it some tablets which cost around 100chf, I didn't claim for that.
It has typical franchie breathing / snoring issues for which we saw the standard vet 100chf . and a specialist, another 100chf. .. Now the specialist recommends an operation, 1000chf..

Should I have been claiming all of these smaller bills? Do you bother? Does it matter?

Is the operation that is being recommended the one to enlarge tight nasal passages? If so, could be excluded if Epona excludes congenital breed defect as this is a known issues for bulldogs.

In any case, I would personally submit everything and then see what happens.

Just one word of caution... general anesthetics is not without risks, so to submit an older dog to it and especially a bulldog, I would only do so if medically required. The snoring and breathing issues are part of the breed unfortunately and will never entirely be solved so please weigh the pros and cons carefully. Why is the specialist suggesting it?

K

John_H 18.01.2021 14:41

Re: Dealing with pet insurance
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by kri (Post 3264776)
Is the operation that is being recommended the one to enlarge tight nasal passages? If so, could be excluded if Epona excludes congenital breed defect as this is a known issues for bulldogs.

In any case, I would personally submit everything and then see what happens.

Just one word of caution... general anesthetics is not without risks, so to submit an older dog to it and especially a bulldog, I would only do so if medically required. The snoring and breathing issues are part of the breed unfortunately and will never entirely be solved so please weigh the pros and cons carefully. Why is the specialist suggesting it?

K

I don't see any particular exclusions.. And they wrote to me saying that after the clean bill of health from the vet, they would now provide full cover..
"C’est avec plaisir que nous vous faisons parvenir la police d’assurance ne contenant plus de réserve"

It's had a couple of instances where it stopped breathing momentarily, while sleeping and came around gasping for air.. Vet says its sleep apnea. That was the reason for latest vet visit. Plan is to widen the nostrils with a laser basically.

Not sure I would go ahead and operate but it's the wife's dog and the specialist recommends it :) The dog runs around crazy and is full of energy, it snores and farts like a train but that's pretty normal.

Snoopy 18.01.2021 16:46

Re: Dealing with pet insurance
 
Our experience with Epona has been that generally, they pay (although they did quibble about an allergy issue). However, they take a very looong time to pay. And when I say long I mean up to 6 months...

Given that Epona has an excess, I would submit all your bills as and when you get them, and then they are in the system. If they aren't, it may just mean that they will take even longer to pay when they have to.

janosicek 30.03.2021 16:21

Re: Dealing with pet insurance
 
I asked vet about insurance, and they said -- pick anyone but Epona.

meloncollie 30.03.2021 19:57

Re: Dealing with pet insurance
 
ETA:

Oops, didn't realize I was responding to an old post. But I'll leave it here as info for anyone else in a similar situation.

Glad to hear that your Frenchie is doing well, John.


Quote:

Originally Posted by kri (Post 3264776)
Just one word of caution... general anesthetics is not without risks, so to submit an older dog to it and especially a bulldog, I would only do so if medically required. The snoring and breathing issues are part of the breed unfortunately and will never entirely be solved so please weigh the pros and cons carefully. Why is the specialist suggesting it?

K

Good point, Kri.

John you might ask the vet recommending surgery if he or she works with a specialist in veterinary anesthesiology for surgeries where the dog is at high risk during anesthesia.

This is becoming more common in Switzerland. In my area, one can call on a specialist at the Tierspital in Zürich, or use a private group (http://www.vas-int.com/en-gb/home/) who travel to the practice where the surgery will be done.

We took advantage of this extra precaution anytime my dearly departed Hooligan needed anesthesia due to her risk factors. Yes, it adds to the cost - but IMO money very well spent.

Obviously you need someone in your area, so the specialist recommending surgery likely knows who to call on. If, that is, he or she feels that step is needed. It might not be in your pup's case.

Do make sure you discuss the risk factors in performing surgery, as well as in choosing not to do so.

---

Wishing you and your Frenchie all the very best.

blacky 30.03.2021 20:35

Re: Dealing with pet insurance
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by janosicek (Post 3291204)
I asked vet about insurance, and they said -- pick anyone but Epona.

Did they say why?

I was looking into pet insurance, and epona's conditions looked decent. I forgot the name of the other one, but I think I discarded them because they want less than 6-7 years old animals I think.

Is there anyone else left?

John_H 30.03.2021 21:28

Re: Dealing with pet insurance
 
I updated in another thread but that was mostly about the dog eating excrement.. So let me update again anyways...

Doggo had the operation, as recommended.. It went really well .. It no longer snores, more energy, it's tongue is more pink, it gets on with other dogs, it sniffs everything and now eats crap.

I submitted the invoice to Epona 23rd February .. Got an automatic response saying they were busy and since then, zero, nothing, not a thing.. Not even an acknowledgment other than the automated thing from the website.

"Votre dossier sera traité dans les meilleurs délais par notre équipe dédiée. En ce moment nous avons un grand nombre de dossiers à traiter et nous vous remercions d’avance pour votre patience.

Nous vous souhaitons une bonne journée et vous adressons nos meilleures salutations."


So either they are super popular and busy.. Or they are really slow and crap.

Thankfully we could afford to pay the vet directly and we're not stuck that way .. But if you are in anyway reliant on getting the money quickly .. Or at all.. Probably look elsewhere.

Island Monkey 30.03.2021 22:12

Re: Dealing with pet insurance
 
I sent in my invoice for annual vaccinations to Animalia the other month, had the money back from them in around a month.

AndersonMD 31.03.2021 09:35

Re: Dealing with pet insurance
 
Epona has improved a lot this year. Last year we put in all our bills, it took about 14 months for them to process and they covered almost nothing, including tumour removed surgery, a stomach parasite issue, etc. For ~ 1200 chf worth of bills over the year we got 60chf back.

They claimed to hire and train a bunch of new staff, we put in vet bills earlier this year and they were fully covered and paid out within a month.

blacky 31.03.2021 09:52

Re: Dealing with pet insurance
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by AndersonMD (Post 3291437)
Epona has improved a lot this year. Last year we put in all our bills, it took about 14 months for them to process and they covered almost nothing, including tumour removed surgery, a stomach parasite issue, etc. For ~ 1200 chf worth of bills over the year we got 60chf back.

:eek: Did they tell you why they didn't covered surgery?
How high is your deductible?

AndersonMD 06.04.2021 23:34

Re: Dealing with pet insurance
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by blacky (Post 3291443)
:eek: Did they tell you why they didn't covered surgery?
How high is your deductible?

The deductible is 300chf. They did not say why they didn't cover it. My guess is clerical error on their part. The surgery happened at the same time as her being speyed. The spey isn't covered but the additional cost of the tumour removal should have been. I think they just had staff that didn't know what they were doing. Which is something the admitted in an email later that year when they started training new staff.

eng_ch 07.04.2021 12:50

Re: Dealing with pet insurance
 
Epona used to be very good (I'm going back to 2010/2011), but deteriorated badly. Back end of 2019 I lost 2 of my critters within 5 months, and Heros had surgery a few weeks before he died. Took Epona well over 6 months to sort things out, they kept claiming I hadn't submitted the bills even though I had the case ref nos. All in all very stressful.

When Carrot joined our crew, we asked the vet hospital we use as our everyday vet which company they recommended. Their advice was Animalia; they pay fairly promptly and with no quibbles. Not the highest cover for vaccinations, but half the price of Wau-Miau, for example

gata 07.04.2021 15:36

Re: Dealing with pet insurance
 
I also had Animalia. Paid promptly and no fuss


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 20:23.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0