English Forum Switzerland

English Forum Switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php)
-   Pet corner (https://www.englishforum.ch/pet-corner/)
-   -   Dog parks in Switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/pet-corner/9390-dog-parks-switzerland.html)

Javo 01.07.2007 18:59

Dog parks in Switzerland
 
does anyone know what are the rules for dogs at the park are?

I often find a sign that says dogs are not allowed. Yet i find plenty of people in the park with their dogs. they let their dogs off leash at night. even the police and gardeners dont care if their are dogs in the park. they actually put doggy-poop bags inside the park. its like you have to leave your dog outside the park, run in get the bag.

does anyone know of the rules if your caught in the park with your dog. will you get a ticket-if so how much?

Has anyone ever seen a real dogs only park in switzerland?

DC_in_Hombi 01.07.2007 19:11

Re: Dog parks in Switzerland
 
When I first came I worried about this but now I just let my dog off and wait for complaints. I must add my dog is very well trained and will stay with me not run around like shes demented. The most problems I have had is with owners of dogs that are on leads launching themselves at my dog then complaining at me.

DC

ExoticLatic 02.07.2007 10:24

Re: Dog parks in Switzerland
 
Rules are there to be ignored Javo and as you noticed no one mind one bit as long as the sytem is not abused;)

02.07.2007 13:12

Re: Dog parks in Switzerland
 
I think as long as you pick up the poop it's ok - although I haven't seen parks where dogs are banned, just where they have to be kept on a lead.

I got asked to put my bc on the lead by a grumpy old sod - right outside my own house :msnmad:.

There is a sign as you walk down our road stating that dogs are to be kept on the lead (it's in a vineyard) but as a resident I ignore it :cool:.

meloncollie 02.07.2007 16:02

Re: Dog parks in Switzerland
 
An overview of cantonal dog rules can be found here:

http://www.tierimrecht.org/de/tiersc...echt/index.php

(New legislation is pending in several cantons; check the cantonal website for the latest information.)

Please be aware that in addition to the cantonal regulations, local authorities may designate areas where dogs are not allowed, or where they must be kept on lead. For instance, dogs are generally not allowed in cemeteries, school grounds and swimming areas, and dogs are generally required to be on lead in Naturschutz (wildlife refuge) areas, when walking on streets, and in residential areas. During the spring, dogs are usually asked to be re-leashed while in wooded areas to protect young wild animals, ditto during hunting season for your dog's safety.

If there are no signs indicating otherwise, and if the cantonal rules allow, you can pretty much assume that it is OK to let your well behaved dog off lead.

(Stepping on soapbox...;) )

Obviously, though, if a dog has anything less than perfect instant recall, he/she should be kept on lead. Standard etiquette asks that if you see an on-lead dog walking towards you, you should recall and re-leash yours. It's always best to ask permission of the owner before allowing your dog to approach another.

If an area is marked as 'on-lead', please do comply. Thanks to the recent tabloid campaign :mad: , there is so much fear, misunderstanding and even hatred towards dogs out there - we don't need to add fuel to the fire. Disregarding local rules only undermines the fight against the draconian legislation now under proposal; responsible ownership is the best way to win hearts and minds.

(Stepping off soapbox now...)

Look what has happened down my way: My favorite walk was through a woods along a parcours; signs clearly asked that dogs be kept on lead. Nonetheless, for years some owners let their dogs run free through the area. Finally the Gemeinde got fed up, and dogs are now banned from the woods altogether.

The police were out one weekend reminding people to keep their dogs off the parcours, and on-lead in the Naturschutz zone; fines were mentioned, but I have no idea how much.

I wish we had real dog parks here; I'd give anything for a place where my youngster could safely get the off-lead exercise and socialization she needs. Unfortunately, I haven't found one yet. Some dog clubs will rent their training grounds to members for occasional private use; you might try asking your local club if that would be possible. Additionally, some farmers rent out their unused fields.

Lob 02.07.2007 16:10

Re: Dog parks in Switzerland
 
there is an island in the river near Sihl City with a bar and a huge collection of dogs. I've been there with my dogs and it's a good place - but of course you really do get a mix of dogs and owners there.

I for one have had to discipline some ****wit's dog who was determined to try to shag one of my dogs. If you know your dog is going to cause a problem, be it social or dangerous, keep the thing on a lead (so reiterating above).

02.07.2007 16:19

Re: Dog parks in Switzerland
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by meloncollie (Post 78889)
Standard etiquette asks that if you see an on-lead dog walking towards you, you should recall and re-leash yours. It's always best to ask permission of the owner before allowing your dog to approach another.

Pretty much agree with everything but an interesting aside to the quoted sentences. We noticed that our 18 month border collie was more anxious, to the point of getting aggressive, towards other dogs when she was on the lead and they were on the lead. If they were off the lead and she was on the lead then she was just scared, not aggressive. Then, reading a doggy psychologists book on shepherding and sheep guarding dogs (can't remember the name but will find out once home) I came across the interesting snippet that dogs feel that they must defend their owner and themselves when leashed - the fight or flight options are limited.

Since then, when approached by a leashed dog we generally ask if it's ok to let both off to say hello - with some it's a non starter but most are fine. We have one particular black curly belgian sheep dog-like friend that always tries to fight if either is on the leash, and is the height of good manners if both are off. We did catch a cold with this method when a young alsation carrying a ball didn't want to share :D.

möpp 02.07.2007 16:21

Re: Dog parks in Switzerland
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by meloncollie (Post 78889)
I wish we had real dog parks here; I'd give anything for a place where my youngster could safely get the off-lead exercise and socialization she needs. Unfortunately, I haven't found one yet.

Try the Allmend Brunau (opposite SihlCity) for getting some good doggy exercise! As far as I know, it's the only wide open area in or around Zurich where you can let your dogs run to their heart's content without having to worry about being shouted at. The river Sihl flows through it, so they can even splash around when it's hot. On one side there's a small kiosk serving cold drinks, coffee, beer and snacks where you can sit and watch pooch play with the others.
Take trams 5 and 13 (get out at "Saalsporthalle") or, if by car, drive towards SihlCity and then exit at the football fields - largish parking area with meters.

meloncollie 04.07.2007 00:14

Re: Dog parks in Switzerland
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by swissbob (Post 78895)
Then, reading a doggy psychologists book on shepherding and sheep guarding dogs (can't remember the name but will find out once home) I came across the interesting snippet that dogs feel that they must defend their owner and themselves when leashed - the fight or flight options are limited.

You are absolutely right; off lead, dogs can implement a range of calming behaviors to diffuse a potential confict so you see far less inter-dog aggression. On lead, their options are limited, which can cause tense situations to escalate. The restrictions we place on dogs in the name of safety can actually have the opposite effect.

Unfortunately, the authors of the Nationalrat proposal - which would significantly expand the areas where dogs must be leashed - don't seem to know much about dogs. :rolleyes:

(... as the owner of several nutcase herding dogs :), I highly recomend 'Canine Body Language' by Brenda Aloff)

Principia Discordia 04.07.2007 01:05

Re: Dog parks in Switzerland
 
Frauenfeld has an absolutely enormous field on the banks of the Töss where we take our dog occasionally. There's always plenty of people there on a weekend, but everything is so spread out that you can choose to let your dog play with others, or you can just play fetch with him/her and let them run around alone away from other dogs if you choose.

Sorry for a lack of better directions, but coming from ZH on the highway past Winterthur, take the second Frauenfeld exist, go right, and you'll see it. Impossible to miss, frankly.

Guest 04.07.2007 09:35

Re: Dog parks in Switzerland
 
http://www.skg-biel-biennadogs.ch/

In Biel/Port area is a large field adjacent to the clubhouse of the local dogs 'agility' club,where u can let your dog run free,it's situated just below the lock of the river Aare on the side towards the Müve.

http://www.bve.be.ch/site/bve_wwa_re...r_port_d-2.pdf
scroll to the third large pic and you see the field.

It's not recommend to let your dog swimm close to the lock because of strong underwater currents,but only about 100 meters away is the Zihlkanal with low current:)and softer falling embankement,where you can have a 'splash about' with your four pawed friend

ziggi 05.07.2007 17:31

Re: Dog parks in Switzerland
 
hi
i used to live by Brunau Allmend
though it CAN be a good place there are some irresponsible dog owners there
that give the place a bad reputation ..
i now go by the ZUrich see, there is a nice area off Widmer str.
it is just where Kilchberg meets Zurich
near the tennis courts SEa Blick
the dogs that go there are tame as sheep, you can let your dog go free in that area and have no fear some vicious dog or person may complain.
Have heard horror stories about Brunau Allmend, my own sweet mutton was attacked and you know how the swiss like to take responsibilty for their dogs..
so try the lake area avoiding the area where there are a lot of people like around the ship dock area
another great place is Adlesville, if you go to Sihlwald on the train and walk towards ZUrich, there is a nice walk for a dog that likes to walk and enjoys a swim!
Kilchberg itself has a nice walking area around the hospital where the wheat grows tall at the end of the line 184
good luck !
p.s. as for the rules, when in Rome, i ignore them as long as others do the same but i do pick up the poo (how do you spell that?) for polite reasons:)

excitedtobemoving 20.02.2008 15:31

Re: Dog parks in Switzerland
 
Thanks for the post MelleCol / Lob about the dog park by Shil City, just been to the park and dogs had a fanastic time meeting all the other dogs and having a good run (dogs even went in for a swim - must be mad).

Cheers

Wendy

KeinFranzösisch 12.06.2011 09:56

Re: Dog parks in Switzerland
 
Sorry to resurrect such an old thread, but I am wondering if there any updates.

I would very much like to find a fenced dog park anywhere near Basel, since my schnauzer is getting very anxious to play. [And of course, I don't want to play with him at home because I live next to grumpy old sods who complain about any noise at any time of day. ]

I've seen a few areas where dog owners meet to let their dogs play, but I don't trust the areas because they are not fenced, and I don't have good verbal recall on the Schnauzer, plus he's got a very high prey drive. The last thing I need is for him to see a squirrel and take off running after it.

The Beagle could also use some socialization, but I'm not worried about him running away. He usually tires quickly at then comes and stands by me or goes off following his nose (nose on = ears off). So as long as I keep an eye on him he's easy to catch.

Has anything changed in recent years since this thread was started? Has anything been tried at all to get a fenced in dog park anywhere? It seems all the fencing and prime grassy areas go to playing football, or there's a sign that says dogs aren't allowed.

Thanks in advance for your answers!

Merrylegs 12.06.2011 14:59

Re: Dog parks in Switzerland
 
There ARE dog parks in Switzerland, certainly in the Cantons of Geneva and Vaud. Some are even fenced in, so canines can run around to their hearts' content. I know there is a dog park in Grand Saconnex, opposite the Co-op supermarket, close to or in Ch Taverny. Go into the Website of your local Commune or nearest big town, and you should be able to find this information.

gata 12.06.2011 15:06

Re: Dog parks in Switzerland
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Merrylegs (Post 1226135)
There ARE dog parks in Switzerland, certainly in the Cantons of Geneva and Vaud. Some are even fenced in, so canines can run around to their hearts' content. I know there is a dog park in Grand Saconnex, opposite the Co-op supermarket, close to or in Ch Taverny. Go into the Website of your local Commune or nearest big town, and you should be able to find this information.

Also a huuuge one in Champel and its fenced

summerrain 14.06.2011 10:16

Re: Dog parks in Switzerland
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by KeinFranzösisch (Post 1225859)
Sorry to resurrect such an old thread, but I am wondering if there any updates.

I would very much like to find a fenced dog park anywhere near Basel, since my schnauzer is getting very anxious to play. [And of course, I don't want to play with him at home because I live next to grumpy old sods who complain about any noise at any time of day. ]

I've seen a few areas where dog owners meet to let their dogs play, but I don't trust the areas because they are not fenced, and I don't have good verbal recall on the Schnauzer, plus he's got a very high prey drive. The last thing I need is for him to see a squirrel and take off running after it.

The Beagle could also use some socialization, but I'm not worried about him running away. He usually tires quickly at then comes and stands by me or goes off following his nose (nose on = ears off). So as long as I keep an eye on him he's easy to catch.

Has anything changed in recent years since this thread was started? Has anything been tried at all to get a fenced in dog park anywhere? It seems all the fencing and prime grassy areas go to playing football, or there's a sign that says dogs aren't allowed.

Thanks in advance for your answers!

As far as I am aware, there arent any fenced parks.

A solution to your problem until you've mastered the recall command, will be the schlep line (or at least thats how I know it as).

Qualipet will definitely sell it. It is a long long line where you hook it onto your dog like a lead and leave it on the ground whilst he runs free - but the end of the line must be within reach of your feet to step on if he doesnt want to come back. You can also practice training the recall command with your dog with this tool. I used it on my dog when he was a puppy to great effect.

Get the thinnest line as possible for smaller dogs - the objective is for the dog not to feel like he has a line dragging behind him :)


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 08:59.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0