Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Pet corner  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 24.09.2010, 20:00
Evita is here's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Geneva
Posts: 187
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 24 Times in 18 Posts
Evita is here has made some interesting contributions
I miss my dogs, I feel like I wanna borrow somebody's pet and take care of it

I have 2 lovable and adorable dogs in my country. I couldn't afford to get them there to live with me here in Geneva. Everytime I see people with their pets I get envy. And now, I have this feeling like I wanna take care of someone else's pet haha. Oh well, someday I may see them, or I'd adopt a dog when I am stable enough here.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Evita is here for this useful post:
  #2  
Old 24.09.2010, 20:03
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Vaud
Posts: 1,765
Groaned at 87 Times in 54 Posts
Thanked 816 Times in 502 Posts
Charlie R. Soles has an excellent reputationCharlie R. Soles has an excellent reputationCharlie R. Soles has an excellent reputationCharlie R. Soles has an excellent reputation
Re: I miss my dogs, I feel like I wanna borrow somebody's pet and take care of it

Quote:
View Post
I have 2 lovable and adorable dogs in my country. I couldn't afford to get them there to live with me here in Geneva. Everytime I see people with their pets I get envy. And now, I have this feeling like I wanna take care of someone else's pet haha. Oh well, someday I may see them, or I'd adopt a dog when I am stable enough here.
Got a couple of kids i'll lend you....or you can even keep the little ba5tards if you want !
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Charlie R. Soles for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 24.09.2010, 20:06
Evita is here's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Geneva
Posts: 187
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 24 Times in 18 Posts
Evita is here has made some interesting contributions
Re: I miss my dogs, I feel like I wanna borrow somebody's pet and take care of it

Quote:
View Post
Got a couple of kids i'll lend you....or you can even keep the little ba5tards if you want !
Oh wow, what are their breeds? little bastards? Haha must be those playful critters!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 24.09.2010, 20:58
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: SZ
Posts: 9,814
Groaned at 24 Times in 23 Posts
Thanked 21,935 Times in 7,020 Posts
meloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: I miss my dogs, I feel like I wanna borrow somebody's pet and take care of it

Evita, why not volunteer at a shelter? Most shelters need people to help walk the dogs in their care - you'd be getting your dog fix, and doing a good deed at the same time. A big win all around.

For instance, the SPGA:

http://www.sgpa.ch/

Or - why not offer your services on the Pet Sitting Network thread? Lots of people are in need of help for a few days or weeks while they travel. This thread is for an exchange of services, it's not commercial.

Or... if you are really committed, why not establish a dog care business? Now, under the TschV, anyone who is a commercial dog care provider must have certain credentials and be registered with the cantonal vererinary office - but if you are here for a while, this could be a long term goal.

A tip - few dog care providers in Switzerland offer dog sitting in the client's home, and almost no one offers to care for dogs who have special needs - either medical or behavioral. There is a gap in the market calling out to be filled. (And, the right person, with the right qualifications and business set-up, can charge an absolute fortune for this type of care.)

So lots of ways to spend time with a four footed friend. But please - do consider volunteering. It's a very rewarding experience.

Hope you find a way to get your fix.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank meloncollie for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 24.09.2010, 21:14
Evita is here's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Geneva
Posts: 187
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 24 Times in 18 Posts
Evita is here has made some interesting contributions
Re: I miss my dogs, I feel like I wanna borrow somebody's pet and take care of it

Quote:
View Post
Evita, why not volunteer at a shelter? Most shelters need people to help walk the dogs in their care - you'd be getting your dog fix, and doing a good deed at the same time. A big win all around.

For instance, the SPGA:

http://www.sgpa.ch/

Or - why not offer your services on the Pet Sitting Network thread? Lots of people are in need of help for a few days or weeks while they travel. This thread is for an exchange of services, it's not commercial.

Or... if you are really committed, why not establish a dog care business? Now, under the TschV, anyone who is a commercial dog care provider must have certain credentials and be registered with the cantonal vererinary office - but if you are here for a while, this could be a long term goal.

A tip - few dog care providers in Switzerland offer dog sitting in the client's home, and almost no one offers to care for dogs who have special needs - either medical or behavioral. There is a gap in the market calling out to be filled. (And, the right person, with the right qualifications and business set-up, can charge an absolute fortune for this type of care.)

So lots of ways to spend time with a four footed friend. But please - do consider volunteering. It's a very rewarding experience.

Hope you find a way to get your fix.
Thanks for that, those are very good options, _Well, I was searching for a site for dog care volunteering, i guess i didn't get lucky
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 24.09.2010, 23:44
kevlegs's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Far far away
Posts: 2,180
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 1,324 Times in 700 Posts
kevlegs has a reputation beyond reputekevlegs has a reputation beyond reputekevlegs has a reputation beyond reputekevlegs has a reputation beyond reputekevlegs has a reputation beyond reputekevlegs has a reputation beyond repute
Re: I miss my dogs, I feel like I wanna borrow somebody's pet and take care of it

Shame you are too far to look after my hunds
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 25.09.2010, 23:42
tayna's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Cham
Posts: 47
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 13 Times in 8 Posts
tayna has earned some respecttayna has earned some respect
Re: I miss my dogs, I feel like I wanna borrow somebody's pet and take care of it

I´m soon living in Baar and would love to help out with dogwalking .

Quote:
View Post
Shame you are too far to look after my hunds
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07.10.2010, 22:01
MariaMARIA's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Zürich
Posts: 236
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 67 Times in 50 Posts
MariaMARIA has earned the respect of manyMariaMARIA has earned the respect of manyMariaMARIA has earned the respect of many
Re: I miss my dogs, I feel like I wanna borrow somebody's pet and take care of it

I think the same as Kevlegs, shame you are not in Zurich My doggie would give you some company too. He wants a dog walker 3 days a week. Good luck finding canines friends in your town
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07.10.2010, 22:11
gata's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Geneva
Posts: 3,780
Groaned at 67 Times in 48 Posts
Thanked 3,468 Times in 1,636 Posts
gata has a reputation beyond reputegata has a reputation beyond reputegata has a reputation beyond reputegata has a reputation beyond reputegata has a reputation beyond reputegata has a reputation beyond repute
Re: I miss my dogs, I feel like I wanna borrow somebody's pet and take care of it

Hi

So are you offering dog sitting? The kennel we take our dog to is very nice but not very practical for one day. I have to warn you though. Whiskey is very lively!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12.10.2010, 15:01
Evita is here's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Geneva
Posts: 187
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 24 Times in 18 Posts
Evita is here has made some interesting contributions
Re: I miss my dogs, I feel like I wanna borrow somebody's pet and take care of it

I'd love to dog sit. And, well, I charge okay.. But I'm willing to dogsit either big or small dogs..
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12.10.2010, 15:04
Dougal's Breakfast's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 18,002
Groaned at 1,116 Times in 868 Posts
Thanked 48,738 Times in 15,005 Posts
Dougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond reputeDougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond reputeDougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond reputeDougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond reputeDougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond reputeDougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond repute
Re: I miss my dogs, I feel like I wanna borrow somebody's pet and take care of it

While we're on the subject...

I miss my wife*, I feel like I wanna borrow somebody's wife and take care of her.

Any suggestions?

*She's at work
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Dougal's Breakfast for this useful post:
  #12  
Old 12.10.2010, 15:08
Evita is here's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Geneva
Posts: 187
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 24 Times in 18 Posts
Evita is here has made some interesting contributions
Re: I miss my dogs, I feel like I wanna borrow somebody's pet and take care of it

Quote:
View Post
While we're on the subject...

I miss my wife*, I feel like I wanna borrow somebody's wife and take care of her.

Any suggestions?

*She's at work
oohh.. It's this thing called ''Common sense''. haha. But anyways it really made me smile
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12.10.2010, 15:33
gata's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Geneva
Posts: 3,780
Groaned at 67 Times in 48 Posts
Thanked 3,468 Times in 1,636 Posts
gata has a reputation beyond reputegata has a reputation beyond reputegata has a reputation beyond reputegata has a reputation beyond reputegata has a reputation beyond reputegata has a reputation beyond repute
Re: I miss my dogs, I feel like I wanna borrow somebody's pet and take care of it

Quote:
View Post
I'd love to dog sit. And, well, I charge okay.. But I'm willing to dogsit either big or small dogs..
So what do you offer? Im thinking i can drop the dog off at your place (pretty early) and pick him up late at night. He is an indoor dog and very quiet. He will only need to go for walks 3 times a day. How much would you charge for that?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12.10.2010, 15:43
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Zurich
Posts: 19
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 14 Times in 8 Posts
FairyDust has no particular reputation at present
Re: I miss my dogs, I feel like I wanna borrow somebody's pet and take care of it

Just wanted to pass along some info in case you are hoping to bring your dogs to Switzerland at some point . . .

While it is tremendously expensive to "ship" pooches as cargo without you being a passenger on the plane with them, it is Far less expensive to bring them along on the plane when you Are a fellow passenger . . .

There are airlines that will ship the dogs from the US to Switzerland for approximately 1500 US dollars, however flying them With you as cargo costs approx 80 dollars extra . . . .

I realize that 80 dollars isn`t INexpensive, however it might be worth it if you`re truly pining for your pups
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12.10.2010, 16:01
argus's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Southern Germany; was in Zug
Posts: 3,382
Groaned at 15 Times in 14 Posts
Thanked 2,561 Times in 1,241 Posts
argus has a reputation beyond reputeargus has a reputation beyond reputeargus has a reputation beyond reputeargus has a reputation beyond reputeargus has a reputation beyond reputeargus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: I miss my dogs, I feel like I wanna borrow somebody's pet and take care of it

Paging Ouchboy! Come in, please, Ouchboy!

Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 12.10.2010, 19:06
Evita is here's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Geneva
Posts: 187
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 24 Times in 18 Posts
Evita is here has made some interesting contributions
Re: I miss my dogs, I feel like I wanna borrow somebody's pet and take care of it

Quote:
View Post
Just wanted to pass along some info in case you are hoping to bring your dogs to Switzerland at some point . . .

While it is tremendously expensive to "ship" pooches as cargo without you being a passenger on the plane with them, it is Far less expensive to bring them along on the plane when you Are a fellow passenger . . .

There are airlines that will ship the dogs from the US to Switzerland for approximately 1500 US dollars, however flying them With you as cargo costs approx 80 dollars extra . . . .

I realize that 80 dollars isn`t INexpensive, however it might be worth it if you`re truly pining for your pups

oh, but then my dogs are left in the Philippines, I know it will be painfully expensive, but I guess we are destined to be apart.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 12.10.2010, 20:00
stacey522's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Baden
Posts: 99
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 102 Times in 38 Posts
stacey522 is considered knowledgeablestacey522 is considered knowledgeablestacey522 is considered knowledgeable
Re: I miss my dogs, I feel like I wanna borrow somebody's pet and take care of it

Quote:
View Post
oh, but then my dogs are left in the Philippines, I know it will be painfully expensive, but I guess we are destined to be apart.

Unless of course you fly back to the Philippines at some point to visit, and then when returning to Switzerland you fly in with your dogs as cargo . . . Not very expensive at all compared to flying them separately.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 12.10.2010, 21:51
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 4
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
randy_carney has no particular reputation at present
Re: I miss my dogs, I feel like I wanna borrow somebody's pet and take care of it

Quote:
View Post
Just wanted to pass along some info in case you are hoping to bring your dogs to Switzerland at some point . . .

While it is tremendously expensive to "ship" pooches as cargo without you being a passenger on the plane with them, it is Far less expensive to bring them along on the plane when you Are a fellow passenger . . .

There are airlines that will ship the dogs from the US to Switzerland for approximately 1500 US dollars, however flying them With you as cargo costs approx 80 dollars extra . . . .

I realize that 80 dollars isn`t INexpensive, however it might be worth it if you`re truly pining for your pups

WHOOAA
I don't know where you saw that price of 80 bucks!!
I just shipped over a terrier under the plane with me (mind you he was about 2 inches too long to go under the seat in front of me, but my laptop and feet barely fit there so I wouldn't wish that on anything but the smallest lap dog) and it cost us about $600 not to mention the 200 CHF or so in taxes and the over 2 hours of running around the geneva airport to finally retrieve him...

just sayin'...
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 12.10.2010, 21:54
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 4
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
randy_carney has no particular reputation at present
Re: I miss my dogs, I feel like I wanna borrow somebody's pet and take care of it

By the way, I'm in Lausanne, so Evita...if you want to watch my little guy over the xmas break (dec 22 ~ jan 2) we'd be happy to pay you! he is an awesomely lazy dog...handsome too...
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 13.10.2010, 11:42
Evita is here's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Geneva
Posts: 187
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 24 Times in 18 Posts
Evita is here has made some interesting contributions
Re: I miss my dogs, I feel like I wanna borrow somebody's pet and take care of it

that would be okay.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pet Care needed: Chihuahua [Zurich] Danycowboy Pet corner 5 18.06.2013 15:45
Cat Care: Pet grooming emma.raven32194 Pet corner 6 24.08.2012 10:57
Pet Care for several days in Baden area Olive Pet corner 16 07.09.2010 09:34
Is there a market for home-visit pet care? Neil600 Pet corner 6 04.08.2009 18:29


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 23:50.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0