Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Activities > Sports / Fitness / Beauty / Wellness  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41  
Old 15.05.2021, 19:01
Treverus's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Work in ZH, live in SZ
Posts: 12,354
Groaned at 363 Times in 293 Posts
Thanked 23,687 Times in 8,573 Posts
Treverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Scuba Diving Certification / Training

Wow, this thread is a blast from the past. I have since my last post in this one added about a thousand dives!

Anyways: I would recommend to do a full course in one go, not the theory back home and then one part here and one there- an open water course takes about three days... I think that’s time well invested. I’ve since done some diving in Europe but I’d suggest to do the course in a nice sunny location with warm water.

Last edited by Treverus; 15.05.2021 at 22:28.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Treverus for this useful post:
  #42  
Old 15.05.2021, 19:10
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Zurich
Posts: 5,659
Groaned at 405 Times in 223 Posts
Thanked 6,476 Times in 2,975 Posts
ZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Scuba Diving Certification / Training

Quote:
View Post
Wow, this thread is a blast from the past. I have some my last post in this one added about a thousand dives!

Anyways: I would recommend to do a full course in one go, not the theory back home and then one part here and one there- an open water course takes about three days... I think that’s time well invested. I’ve since done some diving in Europe but I’d suggest to do the course in a nice sunny location with warm water.
Agree. Did my PADI to Open Water Instructor (OWSI) in my 20’s in the Maldives. It would have been a choice between staying there or ending up in Switzerland in my IT banking world - go figure. But I would still be interested in exploring the Swiss lakes.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 15.05.2021, 19:20
szhjcn's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1,786
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 397 Times in 311 Posts
szhjcn has earned the respect of manyszhjcn has earned the respect of manyszhjcn has earned the respect of many
Re: Scuba Diving Certification / Training

Quote:
View Post
Wow, this thread is a blast from the past. I have some my last post in this one added about a thousand dives!

Anyways: I would recommend to do a full course in one go, not the theory back home and then one part here and one there- an open water course takes about three days... I think thatís time well invested. Iíve since done some diving in Europe but Iíd suggest to do the course in a nice sunny location with warm water.
I disagree.

Did the theory and pool training/test here, then completed the course in Antigua in half a day.

Who wants to spend their holiday doing a course, reading books, traing taking written tests.....????
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 15.05.2021, 19:24
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Zurich
Posts: 5,659
Groaned at 405 Times in 223 Posts
Thanked 6,476 Times in 2,975 Posts
ZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Scuba Diving Certification / Training

Quote:
View Post
I disagree.

Did the theory and pool training/test here, then completed the course in Antigua in half a day.

Who wants to spend their holiday doing a course, reading books, traing taking written tests.....????
Thatís quite ridiculous if you want to be able to dive in open water (the ocean) at depths of 30m +
Reply With Quote
This user groans at ZuriRollt for this post:
  #45  
Old 15.05.2021, 19:53
szhjcn's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1,786
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 397 Times in 311 Posts
szhjcn has earned the respect of manyszhjcn has earned the respect of manyszhjcn has earned the respect of many
Re: Scuba Diving Certification / Training

Quote:
View Post
Thatís quite ridiculous if you want to be able to dive in open water (the ocean) at depths of 30m +
????
Reply With Quote
This user groans at szhjcn for this post:
  #46  
Old 15.05.2021, 21:05
szhjcn's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1,786
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 397 Times in 311 Posts
szhjcn has earned the respect of manyszhjcn has earned the respect of manyszhjcn has earned the respect of many
Re: Scuba Diving Certification / Training

Quote:
View Post
Thatís quite ridiculous if you want to be able to dive in open water (the ocean) at depths of 30m +
PADI OWD is in three parts:

1/ Theory which you can do with a PADI center or online (at a cost)
2/ Pool Training
3/ Open water test

1 & 2 you can do locally.

For 3, we went to Antigua (Island in the Caribbean) while our friend did this in the lake of Zurich.

Another option which has GREAT videos and FREE ONLINE TRAINING (PADI is trying to catch up) is https://www.divessi.com/en/
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 15.05.2021, 21:13
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Zurich
Posts: 5,659
Groaned at 405 Times in 223 Posts
Thanked 6,476 Times in 2,975 Posts
ZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Scuba Diving Certification / Training

Quote:
View Post
PADI OWD is in three parts:

1/ Theory which you can do with a PADI center or online (at a cost)
2/ Pool Training
3/ Open water test

1 & 2 you can do locally.

For 3, we went to Antigua (Island in the Caribbean) while our friend did this in the lake of Zurich.

Another option which has GREAT videos and FREE ONLINE TRAINING (PADI is trying to catch up) is https://www.divessi.com/en/
You canít be serious? Iíll leave it up to others to reply to your drivel.
Reply With Quote
This user groans at ZuriRollt for this post:
  #48  
Old 15.05.2021, 22:32
Treverus's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Work in ZH, live in SZ
Posts: 12,354
Groaned at 363 Times in 293 Posts
Thanked 23,687 Times in 8,573 Posts
Treverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Scuba Diving Certification / Training

Quote:
View Post
You canít be serious? Iíll leave it up to others to reply to your drivel.
Sadly thatís what Padi and the other agencies have come to. Asking three days for a course is apparently too much.

I know it is legal but I highly advise to learn the course in one go. I never understood the Ąwho wants to read a book on vacationď point... thatís what I do on a beach anyways. For me should online training be complimentary, not replacing the contact to an actual pro.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 15.05.2021, 22:41
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Zurich
Posts: 5,659
Groaned at 405 Times in 223 Posts
Thanked 6,476 Times in 2,975 Posts
ZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Scuba Diving Certification / Training

Quote:
View Post
Sadly that’s what Padi and the other agencies have come to. Asking three days for a course is apparently too much.

I know it is legal but I highly advise to learn the course in one go. I never understood the „who wants to read a book on vacation“ point... that’s what I do on a beach anyways. For me should online training be complimentary, not replacing the contact to an actual pro.
Sadly, these are the types of people that support their ignorant lifestyles by “the latest viral thing” stepping on coral. It’s sickening.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 15.05.2021, 22:53
VenusC's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Zug
Posts: 364
Groaned at 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 566 Times in 230 Posts
VenusC has a reputation beyond reputeVenusC has a reputation beyond reputeVenusC has a reputation beyond reputeVenusC has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Scuba Diving Certification / Training

Diving is a leisure sport that relies on buddy support. In many cases a buddy is the instructor. Hence, i would rather go over theory with my instructor in human form and be ready for any eventualities.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank VenusC for this useful post:
  #51  
Old 15.05.2021, 22:55
Island Monkey's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wallis
Posts: 6,492
Groaned at 114 Times in 79 Posts
Thanked 7,245 Times in 3,304 Posts
Island Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Scuba Diving Certification / Training

Quote:
View Post
I disagree.

Did the theory and pool training/test here, then completed the course in Antigua in half a day.

Who wants to spend their holiday doing a course, reading books, traing taking written tests.....????
I don’t really see why there would be an issue in splitting the course between 2 locations…. But I don’t see how you did the required 4 OW dives in half a day!? For example this course is for those who want to upgrade from having just the theory and pool aspects and takes 2 days http://www.swissdivers.com/en/educat...-referral.html
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Island Monkey for this useful post:
  #52  
Old 15.05.2021, 23:07
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Zurich
Posts: 5,659
Groaned at 405 Times in 223 Posts
Thanked 6,476 Times in 2,975 Posts
ZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Scuba Diving Certification / Training

Quote:
View Post
I don’t really see why there would be an issue in splitting the course between 2 locations…. But I don’t see how you did the required 4 OW dives in half a day!? For example this course is for those who want to upgrade from having just the theory and pool aspects and takes 2 days http://www.swissdivers.com/en/educat...-referral.html
Did my PADI in the Maldives to instructor level. Decided to come to Switzerland for IT job instead. It takes a lot of dives to get that far. Szhjcn is talking absolute BS.
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 16.05.2021, 07:58
bossybaby's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: Western Austria
Posts: 716
Groaned at 8 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 1,239 Times in 534 Posts
bossybaby has a reputation beyond reputebossybaby has a reputation beyond reputebossybaby has a reputation beyond reputebossybaby has a reputation beyond reputebossybaby has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Scuba Diving Certification / Training

Quote:
View Post
stepping on coral.
Its own fitting reward?...ow. I met these types in Bora whose coral wounds hadn't healed in 4 months.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 16.05.2021, 12:56
Dragon5's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bubikon
Posts: 194
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 183 Times in 88 Posts
Dragon5 has earned some respectDragon5 has earned some respect
Re: Scuba Diving Certification / Training

A short story for any beginners thinking about trying Scuba diving.

I am a Padi instructor, and a few years ago my children wanted to see what Scuba diving was like, and to start the Padi open water.
We were on holiday in Egypt, and we had provisionally booked the junior open water course with the hotel associated dive shop. Now it gets sharper, the schedule was quite hard, early morning class, back to back pool sessions and abrupt dives. Very much the hard sell from the dive assistant. Oh and pay your deposit now.
Typical Egypt, the credit card machine couldn't connect. So 'you must go to dive shop on beach and pay'. Anyway, down on the beach, there are a few more dive shops. I had a look in the hotel dive shop, not too impressed, in my capacity as Padi instuctor I have seen many dive setups. So I walk along the beach looking at some of the others, and get talking to an Italian managed centre. First question was, 'How old are my children', ( 10, 11 ), 'Then you will have Davina 1 on 2 only ! She is very good with kids.' Gets better, class and pool session times can be very flexible, definitely not too early, and can be moved if the kids get tired.
We swapped dive centre very fast.
At the end of the week, we had 2 very happy ow certified 'baby divers' both eager to continue diving, and I was able to take them both on their first open dive, as a family.
So for anyone thinking, look and find a good dive center, one which will look after your needs, is safe, and will go at the pace you want. Don't be pushed too fast, and then you can enjoy the wonderful undersea world at your leisure.
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank Dragon5 for this useful post:
  #55  
Old 16.05.2021, 16:28
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Zurich
Posts: 5,659
Groaned at 405 Times in 223 Posts
Thanked 6,476 Times in 2,975 Posts
ZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Scuba Diving Certification / Training

Quote:
View Post
A short story for any beginners thinking about trying Scuba diving.

I am a Padi instructor, and a few years ago my children wanted to see what Scuba diving was like, and to start the Padi open water.
We were on holiday in Egypt, and we had provisionally booked the junior open water course with the hotel associated dive shop. Now it gets sharper, the schedule was quite hard, early morning class, back to back pool sessions and abrupt dives. Very much the hard sell from the dive assistant. Oh and pay your deposit now.
Typical Egypt, the credit card machine couldn't connect. So 'you must go to dive shop on beach and pay'. Anyway, down on the beach, there are a few more dive shops. I had a look in the hotel dive shop, not too impressed, in my capacity as Padi instuctor I have seen many dive setups. So I walk along the beach looking at some of the others, and get talking to an Italian managed centre. First question was, 'How old are my children', ( 10, 11 ), 'Then you will have Davina 1 on 2 only ! She is very good with kids.' Gets better, class and pool session times can be very flexible, definitely not too early, and can be moved if the kids get tired.
We swapped dive centre very fast.
At the end of the week, we had 2 very happy ow certified 'baby divers' both eager to continue diving, and I was able to take them both on their first open dive, as a family.
So for anyone thinking, look and find a good dive center, one which will look after your needs, is safe, and will go at the pace you want. Don't be pushed too fast, and then you can enjoy the wonderful undersea world at your leisure.
That’s great! Had to put my diving on hold for a few years as my daughter wasn’t into the idea of it, finances etc. Now she’s hooked of course. It took a lot of on-line learning, practice in the open water and book reading to get even the PADI open water certification. It ensures, amongst everything else, that the diver is able to handle as a buddy in a life-threatening situation. What qualifications did your “baby divers” get? Am really not up-to- date
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 16.05.2021, 17:43
Dragon5's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bubikon
Posts: 194
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 183 Times in 88 Posts
Dragon5 has earned some respectDragon5 has earned some respect
Re: Scuba Diving Certification / Training

Hi ZuriRollt


Initially they did the Padi Junior Open Water. A couple of dive holidays later, and a bit older, they completed the normal Padi Advanced course.

Again, we were very lucky with the dive center, UK + Aus instructors, good local Egyptian divemasters and a Zrh CH center manageress !!!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Dragon5 for this useful post:
  #57  
Old 17.05.2021, 10:09
Spinal's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1,611
Groaned at 13 Times in 12 Posts
Thanked 1,630 Times in 705 Posts
Spinal has a reputation beyond reputeSpinal has a reputation beyond reputeSpinal has a reputation beyond reputeSpinal has a reputation beyond reputeSpinal has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Scuba Diving Certification / Training

Quote:
View Post
I disagree.

Did the theory and pool training/test here, then completed the course in Antigua in half a day.

Who wants to spend their holiday doing a course, reading books, traing taking written tests.....????
Quote:
View Post
PADI OWD is in three parts:

1/ Theory which you can do with a PADI center or online (at a cost)
2/ Pool Training
3/ Open water test

1 & 2 you can do locally.

For 3, we went to Antigua (Island in the Caribbean) while our friend did this in the lake of Zurich.

Another option which has GREAT videos and FREE ONLINE TRAINING (PADI is trying to catch up) is https://www.divessi.com/en/
This is NOT correct.

Theory - yes
"Pool" is actually defined as "confined water". While these are often done in pools, these can be done in lakes and oceans, assuming certain criteria are met.

The last part, open water dives - there are a minimum of FOUR open water dives needed to certify a diver as a PADI OWD (in some cases instructors do 5). These CANNOT be done in one day (it violates PADI regulations for students).

If you have a dive center that did 4x open water training dives in half day, or somehow skipped the training and certified (keep in mind centers are incentivised to pass as many students as possible), I would flag that to PADI standards as it isn't safe.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Spinal for this useful post:
This user groans at Spinal for this post:
  #58  
Old 17.05.2021, 14:38
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Brunnen
Posts: 512
Groaned at 13 Times in 12 Posts
Thanked 272 Times in 162 Posts
starDeMer has an excellent reputationstarDeMer has an excellent reputationstarDeMer has an excellent reputationstarDeMer has an excellent reputation
Re: Scuba Diving Certification / Training

Quote:
View Post
knowledge of dive tables is helpful but most use a dive computer as its far more accurate and safer.
not safer LOL
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 17.05.2021, 14:42
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Brunnen
Posts: 512
Groaned at 13 Times in 12 Posts
Thanked 272 Times in 162 Posts
starDeMer has an excellent reputationstarDeMer has an excellent reputationstarDeMer has an excellent reputationstarDeMer has an excellent reputation
Re: Scuba Diving Certification / Training

Quote:
View Post
Iím not uncomfortable in the water but Iím not a mermaid either. Iíve done deep water snorkel trips, swimming with whale sharks etc and done long open water triathlon swims. I have just always struggled with water in the eyes, although this has improved since Iíve started going in without contact lenses. The ears worry me slightly as when I try and dive down when snorkelling I have trouble clearing themÖ.. I suspect this might be easier when diving though as you are descending slowly with air (can also descend feet first making it easier) while when snorkelling it always feels rushed. I just think itíll take me a little practice.
find an UnderWater Hockey club UWH, you will get confortable in no time
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 17.05.2021, 15:23
Sean Connery's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 5,565
Groaned at 58 Times in 54 Posts
Thanked 7,554 Times in 3,388 Posts
Sean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Scuba Diving Certification / Training

I did my OW in Hughada, classroom sessions not far from a mosque watching the training video on VHS Of course I studied on holiday and did all the dives together with that. I even remember the parrot fish attacking me I was apologetic as I thought I whipped my buddy in the head

AOW was in CuraÁao. I spent most of the two weeks in the dive centre anyway, I remember the prep for the deep dive being longer than the dive itself. Great centre, great people there - I wish I'd gone though Rescue and Master there too but I have a pal in Dubai who is instructor and I might spend some time diving and drinking with him in the coming year

And now I activated the PADI App. Thanks for the the reminder
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
scuba, scuba diving, scuba shop, scuba training




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Want to Learn Scuba Diving? [lake Zurich in English] snowdiver Sports / Fitness / Beauty / Wellness 39 12.01.2013 11:08
Scuba Diving in Zurich Markyd Sports / Fitness / Beauty / Wellness 2 08.07.2010 08:33
Scuba Diving in Zug Swiss Cheddar Sports / Fitness / Beauty / Wellness 4 19.08.2008 21:04
SCUBA diving activities (May,June,July) mark Commercial events 7 15.05.2005 09:11


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 13:55.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0