Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Activities > Sports / Fitness / Beauty / Wellness  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04.08.2011, 00:49
jagshere's Avatar
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Zurich
Posts: 29
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
jagshere has no particular reputation at present
Paragliding Equipment

Hello Guys,
I am doing a paragliding beginner's course. I would like to continue. But I could not buy the new paragliding equipment. Does anyone is selling his old one. I am 71 Kg. Actually, renting for sometime would also an option I am open to. So please help me with that.
Jagdeep
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04.08.2011, 10:47
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Zürich
Posts: 151
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 79 Times in 41 Posts
big yin is considered knowledgeablebig yin is considered knowledgeablebig yin is considered knowledgeable
Re: Paragliding Equipment

I think I know someone who is selling his paragliding things - will send you a PM if I can find the details.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04.08.2011, 11:23
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 16,516
Groaned at 581 Times in 456 Posts
Thanked 24,720 Times in 9,952 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Paragliding Equipment

Quote:
View Post
Hello Guys,
I am doing a paragliding beginner's course. I would like to continue. But I could not buy the new paragliding equipment. Does anyone is selling his old one. I am 71 Kg. Actually, renting for sometime would also an option I am open to. So please help me with that.
Jagdeep
If you are not exactly sure of what you are buying, I would confirm with someone with knowledge that what you are buying is suitable for a novice.
(and is in airworthy condition - for example, fabric porosity is okay)

I have seen too many people hurt themselves badly trying to fly something too advanced for their capabilities.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05.08.2011, 19:36
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Kussnacht am Rigi
Posts: 9
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
global_nomad has no particular reputation at present
Re: Paragliding Equipment

Jagdeep,

In general you should be very cautious in buying second hand paragliding equipment. As you are a beginner, it is VITAL that you buy only a class A or class 1 glider, and that it is in excellent condition with a manufacturers inspection certificate.
You should also take advice in matching the harness & glider: no point in having a Ferrari with tractor tyres!
Finally, pay attention to the rescue parachute. I would never by this used. This is your last line of defense, and you will value the knowledge that it will open cleanly and fast. You will not get this confidence from second hand equipment.

You can find second hand gliders in the following places:

Swiss glider magazine (need to be a member of SHV/FSVL - the swiss paraglider association, but frankly you will need to be a member anyway to qualify)

http://www.paraglidingforum.com/viewforum.php?f=2
One of the leading paragliding portals, with a large classified section.

Alternatively, you can make arrangements with your school to hire equipment until you are ready to buy.

As you are in Zurich, let me know how you get on, as I am only round the corner in Kussnacht.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank global_nomad for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 16.08.2011, 18:32
jagshere's Avatar
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Zurich
Posts: 29
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
jagshere has no particular reputation at present
Re: Paragliding Equipment

Quote:
View Post
Jagdeep,

In general you should be very cautious in buying second hand paragliding equipment. As you are a beginner, it is VITAL that you buy only a class A or class 1 glider, and that it is in excellent condition with a manufacturers inspection certificate.
You should also take advice in matching the harness & glider: no point in having a Ferrari with tractor tyres!
Finally, pay attention to the rescue parachute. I would never by this used. This is your last line of defense, and you will value the knowledge that it will open cleanly and fast. You will not get this confidence from second hand equipment.

You can find second hand gliders in the following places:

Swiss glider magazine (need to be a member of SHV/FSVL - the swiss paraglider association, but frankly you will need to be a member anyway to qualify)

http://www.paraglidingforum.com/viewforum.php?f=2
One of the leading paragliding portals, with a large classified section.

Alternatively, you can make arrangements with your school to hire equipment until you are ready to buy.

As you are in Zurich, let me know how you get on, as I am only round the corner in Kussnacht.
Thanks for the information. yes I am quite new to this and have basically zero knowledge about the equipment. I have asked my school. generally they dont rent but they quote me a price which is quite a lot (60 CHF for one flight).
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 16.08.2011, 22:02
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 16,516
Groaned at 581 Times in 456 Posts
Thanked 24,720 Times in 9,952 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Paragliding Equipment

Quote:
View Post
Thanks for the information. yes I am quite new to this and have basically zero knowledge about the equipment. I have asked my school. generally they dont rent but they quote me a price which is quite a lot (60 CHF for one flight).

Most schools make little money out of the training but make their margins on the sale of new equipment so it's in their interests to convince you to buy (from them) rather than rent.

There aren't any rich paragliding instructors!
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Paragliding gamezgirl Travel/day trips/free time 17 15.05.2012 23:07
Paragliding Interlaken Erum_AT Travel/day trips/free time 11 15.02.2011 21:47
paragliding chihuahua swisscath Jokes/funnies 0 02.03.2008 12:23
Paragliding Introduction Day peter_greis Commercial 27 17.06.2007 09:48


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 14:25.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0