Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Activities > Sports / Fitness / Beauty / Wellness  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 19.10.2011, 11:09
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,471
Groaned at 17 Times in 15 Posts
Thanked 1,996 Times in 1,189 Posts
CH_Me has a reputation beyond reputeCH_Me has a reputation beyond reputeCH_Me has a reputation beyond reputeCH_Me has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Elliptical workout (Questions to the experts)

Quote:
View Post
Not as much space as a treadmill, but more than an exercise bike. Nothing beats an exercise bike for space. A recumbent/sitting down one is also the best for your back. I've used ellipticals and a normal exercise bike and couldn't hack it after a while for the simple fact you have to focus as much on keeping your back straight. Just being able to sit down and focus on your kicking gets rid of a major annoyance for me.
The magnetic trainers that you put your front wheel on with normal bike are great too. They can be folded and stored under a bed and your bike in the garage bike rack.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 19.10.2011, 11:10
Nil's Avatar
Nil Nil is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Basel
Posts: 10,356
Groaned at 428 Times in 333 Posts
Thanked 16,045 Times in 6,322 Posts
Nil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Elliptical workout (Questions to the experts)

Quote:
View Post
Yeah, it will give many people some motivation to ... keep checking this thread.
CTRL-ALT-DELETE

Quote:
View Post
Reading this thread and "Proper" Sunday Roast (Part Two) at the same time. Somehow they just do not seem compatible.

Will have to keep my eyes peeled for the next decent promo/aktion/whetever on a decent elliptical trainer. Do they take up much space when not in use? I.e. can they be made more 'compact'?
Look at the picture, it gives you an idea of the size of the machine. You can get smaller but they won't be solid. And you shouldn't go under 20 kilos to really have a good workout.

We saw a machine you could fold. Our machine has wheels so you can easily move it to an other room.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 19.10.2011, 12:09
Me Myself & I's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Züri
Posts: 1,007
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 609 Times in 341 Posts
Me Myself & I has a reputation beyond reputeMe Myself & I has a reputation beyond reputeMe Myself & I has a reputation beyond reputeMe Myself & I has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Elliptical workout (Questions to the experts)

Wish you all the best Nil.

I lost around 15kgs a year ago without changing my diet, simply by working out. It took close to a year and the weight has stayed off. Most of the excercises were done on this machine.

I started with 30 minute workouts 2 times a week and worked my way to 60 minute workouts 3-4 times a week. I'm now focusing on weight training so am only doing 30 minutes cardio 2 times a week along with weights.

To be honest, I do find cardio very boring. I would suggest you have a telly visible from where the machine is placed along with good thumping music. At my local gym they have a couple of tellys constantly showing sports channels and that keeps me interested, unless of course it's curling! It helps alleviate the boredom.

Best of luck!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Me Myself & I for this useful post:
  #24  
Old 19.10.2011, 12:19
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Lachen
Posts: 12
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
balance has no particular reputation at present
Re: Elliptical workout (Questions to the experts)

Like everyone has said... find out what your fatburning zone is.
Also, interval trainig is really helpful, and more often than not, the best way to burn fat and keep your lungs and heart healthy.

Start with a warm up of a few minutes, with your heart rate at about 110 (doesn't matter what age you are).

Then use music to dictate how quick you push your arms and legs. For example, in the choruses, REALLY go quickly, and get your heart rate up to a point that it's difficult to speak, but not hard to breathe. In the verses, slow it down, and concentrate on the heart rate going back down to 110 or so.

You need to keep altering your workout, or your body will get used to it. Like your body doesn't react to walking to the shops, or around the house... it's "conditioned".


Don't go over your max - you'll go "anaerobic" and that's not the purpose of your workout.
Also, add lunges and squats to your routine, some easy push ups, and of course core strengthening. A good posture, diet and rest adds to the fat burning process.

Rest days: you can safely do cardio everyday. 30 mins every day is healthy. Rest days are recommended between strength workouts, and abdominal workouts.

You do whatever feels best for you, there's no right or wrong answer here.

Good luck!


Quote:
View Post
Hello,

I am so excited, after waiting for so long, we are going to have our Elliptical trainer (the real thing not a bunch of plastic) I used to do it at the gym and I loved it.

I am not very good to understand how the body burns and take the fat to transform it, etc...

1- How to find out what target zone to keep my heart rate in to get the best results?
2- Can I workout everyday or should I really take a day off between?
3- anything else I should know / take care of?

Oh, I forgot;

My goal is to lose 10 kilos and/ or 2-3 dress sizes. And keep getting fit and healthy.

Thanks to help me out!

Nil
__________________
www.LaraFit.net
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank balance for this useful post:
  #25  
Old 19.10.2011, 15:10
Nil's Avatar
Nil Nil is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Basel
Posts: 10,356
Groaned at 428 Times in 333 Posts
Thanked 16,045 Times in 6,322 Posts
Nil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Elliptical workout (Questions to the experts)

Thank you Guys & Gals,

Here are my new questions:

If my Target Heart Rate is 158 whaqt does it mean for my minimum and maximun THR? When I go over 158 the number is blinking and it means I have to slow down. But if I keep it at 166 or 154 (ex.) I am still in my THR, right?

So today I did 25 minutes, burned 240 kal. ''run'' 6 kilo.

Is it better to do 50 minutes in one shot and target an average of burning 500 kal. Or is it better to do it twice a day (morning, evening) for the same goal?

Nil
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 19.10.2011, 15:30
MFC MFC is offline
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 21
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 8 Times in 5 Posts
MFC has no particular reputation at present
Re: Elliptical workout (Questions to the experts)

158 seems high for a target heart rate. I find that once my herat rate gets to 160, I can't keep that up for more than a few minutes. The big thing is to just listen to your body.

If you can do 25 minutes twice a day, that is probably better. Your metabolism is elevated for a short time after each work out (this effect is bigger with weight training than cardio, but still applicable) so two workouts should evelate your metabolism for a greater portion of the day.

Along the same lines, a very effective technique is to eat 5 or 6 small meals a day, rather than 3 large ones. I found this impractical, so I just tried to eat smaller meals, and have a mid morning, and a mid afternoon snack. Try having a handful of almonds in the the afternoon. They are surprisingly filling, and are packed with protien and the healthy kind of fats. They aren't called a "superfood" for nothing.

Be careful with all this though. HIIT is an advanced technique, and isn't recommended for complete beginners. Depending on where you are starting, it would be better to start with sustained effort workout of moderate intensity. Starting out, even this will be a shock to your body, and thus will be effective. It will also prepare your cardiovascular system, and your muscles for more advanced (and strenuous techniques) such as HIIT. As I said before, the most important thing is just to pay attention to how you feel, and if you feel like you need a day off, take it. You will definitely make progress with even 4 or 5 days a week.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank MFC for this useful post:
  #27  
Old 19.10.2011, 15:43
dodgyken's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Democratic Republic Kenistan
Posts: 10,653
Groaned at 280 Times in 231 Posts
Thanked 19,403 Times in 7,402 Posts
dodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Elliptical workout (Questions to the experts)

I usually do 20min progressive warm-up when I go to the gym - burning 400calories

Burnrate starts at 16 cals per minute - upto 24cals

That is a tad mental I admit - but boy do you know you work out. In my view if your breathing isn't noticablly elevated - and you're not sweating - you're not working hard enough.

And in case you needed to know - I will often be out running first thing in the morning - folllowed by Elliptical in the evening
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 19.10.2011, 15:46
Nil's Avatar
Nil Nil is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Basel
Posts: 10,356
Groaned at 428 Times in 333 Posts
Thanked 16,045 Times in 6,322 Posts
Nil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Elliptical workout (Questions to the experts)

Quote:
View Post
I usually do 20min progressive warm-up when I go to the gym - burning 400calories

Burnrate starts at 16 cals per minute - upto 24cals

That is a tad mental I admit - but boy do you know you work out. In my view if your breathing isn't noticablly elevated - and you're not sweating - you're not working hard enough.

And in case you needed to know - I will often be out running first thing in the morning - folllowed by Elliptical in the evening
For sweating I am sweating, actually I was completely wet! I am sure I could burn more I took the burning fat programm... I need to figure that machine out still.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 19.10.2011, 15:51
dodgyken's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Democratic Republic Kenistan
Posts: 10,653
Groaned at 280 Times in 231 Posts
Thanked 19,403 Times in 7,402 Posts
dodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Elliptical workout (Questions to the experts)

Quote:
View Post
For sweating I am sweating, actually I was completely wet! I am sure I could burn more I took the burning fat programm... I need to figure that machine out still.
I'm not convinced by the fat burning programs - they seem to require too little effort. I'd target a 40min session at a steady but hard tempo. You should finish not capable of doing another 5mins.

Then "play" with workouts - do a mixed one - 10mins hard, 10mins easy - hills (increased resistance to climb a hill, decreased on the way down) - fast tempo (look at your stride rate - target 150-160 per min). Try short intervals (3mins hard, 1 min rest * 5). Try long steady sessions - 60mins.

The thing to do is have a plan and stick to it. Nailing a faster stride rate is the key to a good work out (IMHO).
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank dodgyken for this useful post:
  #30  
Old 19.10.2011, 16:03
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Zurich
Posts: 4,933
Groaned at 184 Times in 120 Posts
Thanked 8,569 Times in 2,875 Posts
Kittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Elliptical workout (Questions to the experts)

Maybe add a bit of weight training to your workouts? My personal trainer says that just doing cardio is the main mistake women make when exercising, you need to build your muscle too if you want optimum results. And you'll be able to eat a little more without putting on weight if more of you is made of muscle
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Kittster for this useful post:
  #31  
Old 19.10.2011, 16:23
Nil's Avatar
Nil Nil is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Basel
Posts: 10,356
Groaned at 428 Times in 333 Posts
Thanked 16,045 Times in 6,322 Posts
Nil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Elliptical workout (Questions to the experts)

Quote:
View Post
Maybe add a bit of weight training to your workouts? My personal trainer says that just doing cardio is the main mistake women make when exercising, you need to build your muscle too if you want optimum results. And you'll be able to eat a little more without putting on weight if more of you is made of muscle
Yes, I am doing Pilates since a couple of weeks too. Work with a ball, etc.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 19.10.2011, 17:27
Uncle GroOve's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Mendrisio
Posts: 1,082
Groaned at 7 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 733 Times in 382 Posts
Uncle GroOve has a reputation beyond reputeUncle GroOve has a reputation beyond reputeUncle GroOve has a reputation beyond reputeUncle GroOve has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Elliptical workout (Questions to the experts)

Quote:
View Post
Thank you Guys & Gals,

Here are my new questions:

If my Target Heart Rate is 158 whaqt does it mean for my minimum and maximun THR? When I go over 158 the number is blinking and it means I have to slow down. But if I keep it at 166 or 154 (ex.) I am still in my THR, right?

So today I did 25 minutes, burned 240 kal. ''run'' 6 kilo.

Is it better to do 50 minutes in one shot and target an average of burning 500 kal. Or is it better to do it twice a day (morning, evening) for the same goal?

Nil

Whoa - 158 bpm!
Are you an ex athlete?
'cause that number seems awfully high.
Took a Conconi test earlier this year and my anaerobic treshold is 155 bpm (260W on the ergo-bike), which the specialist said was "pretty good" for my age (48).

Just to contextualise the whole thing of HR levels, a friend of mine, a triathlete, works out at very low cardio regimes (i.e. 120-130 bpm) and longer times (> 2hrs) in order to get the body in that fat-burning regime.
Going all-out, all the time in his training is a definite no-no (muscle stress, body tires out too much and does not recuperate, etc, etc)

HIIT will definitely help you increase your methabolism and your oxigen intake (Vo2Max).
You'll probably reach 158-160 bpms, but just for a handful of seconds (HIIT, also known as Tabata protocol, usually goes in bursts of 20 second max power followed by 40 seconds rest, for 4 times, with one full minute rest after the 4 burs/rests. Then the painfest starts again. In total repeat the whole for a total of 4x i.e. 20 minutes total workout). My same sport specialist told me not to do HIIT more than 2x week, because of the aforementioned stresses.

I'd look to begin at the low and midrange regimes - don't forget to integrate some "reverse" too (i.e. pedalling backward). Improves coordination and apparently burns more fat because more and different muscle groups are involved.

Ciao

Paul

Big PS and caveat: if you're a (pro) athlete all the above obviously doesn't apply as you probably have a custom training regime planned out for your season
__________________
>absence of evidence ≠ evidence of absence<
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Uncle GroOve for this useful post:
  #33  
Old 19.10.2011, 18:40
Nil's Avatar
Nil Nil is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Basel
Posts: 10,356
Groaned at 428 Times in 333 Posts
Thanked 16,045 Times in 6,322 Posts
Nil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Elliptical workout (Questions to the experts)

Quote:
View Post
Whoa - 158 bpm!
Are you an ex athlete?
'cause that number seems awfully high.
Took a Conconi test earlier this year and my anaerobic treshold is 155 bpm (260W on the ergo-bike), which the specialist said was "pretty good" for my age (48).

Just to contextualise the whole thing of HR levels, a friend of mine, a triathlete, works out at very low cardio regimes (i.e. 120-130 bpm) and longer times (> 2hrs) in order to get the body in that fat-burning regime.
Going all-out, all the time in his training is a definite no-no (muscle stress, body tires out too much and does not recuperate, etc, etc)

HIIT will definitely help you increase your methabolism and your oxigen intake (Vo2Max).
You'll probably reach 158-160 bpms, but just for a handful of seconds (HIIT, also known as Tabata protocol, usually goes in bursts of 20 second max power followed by 40 seconds rest, for 4 times, with one full minute rest after the 4 burs/rests. Then the painfest starts again. In total repeat the whole for a total of 4x i.e. 20 minutes total workout). My same sport specialist told me not to do HIIT more than 2x week, because of the aforementioned stresses.

I'd look to begin at the low and midrange regimes - don't forget to integrate some "reverse" too (i.e. pedalling backward). Improves coordination and apparently burns more fat because more and different muscle groups are involved.

Ciao

Paul

Big PS and caveat: if you're a (pro) athlete all the above obviously doesn't apply as you probably have a custom training regime planned out for your season
Woah! Slow down Tiger! First, I am a dumb in this area so most of your explanations made me look like this:

Second, I am certainly not an athlete. I used to be in very good shape but def not now. Someone on this thread told me to take 200 minus my age (34) and it gives me my THR: 166.

The machine told me 158 is my target heart rate.



My heart at rest is 65.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 19.10.2011, 19:23
Uncle GroOve's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Mendrisio
Posts: 1,082
Groaned at 7 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 733 Times in 382 Posts
Uncle GroOve has a reputation beyond reputeUncle GroOve has a reputation beyond reputeUncle GroOve has a reputation beyond reputeUncle GroOve has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Elliptical workout (Questions to the experts)

Quote:
View Post
Woah! Slow down Tiger! First, I am a dumb in this area so most of your explanations made me look like this:

Second, I am certainly not an athlete. I used to be in very good shape but def not now. Someone on this thread told me to take 200 minus my age (34) and it gives me my THR: 166.

The machine told me 158 is my target heart rate.



My heart at rest is 65.
Ok - sorry if I overwhelmed you...wasn't my intention at all.
The machines "tell" us a lot of things, some useful, some stupid, and therefore some may even be dangerous, who knows?
A Conconi test would be very useful to establish just "how well" your cardiocirculatory system performs under a controlled, increasing load (ergo: stress).

For what it's worth, it may be well to remember that there are no magic Formulas, especially "200-age" (it's actually something like 220-age multiplied by some factor depending on age and gender), sooo...
.....to sum it up - enjoy your elliptical machine : lower heart rates will help you drop weight, while higher rates (say 130-140, but do derive those numbers from an accurate test) will help you condition.

And build up slowly - don't stress your heart muscle unneccessarily

The NY Times has some very nice articles on health, fitness and nutrition (yummy!):
http://www.nytimes.com/pages/health/...ion/index.html

Ciao!!

Paul
__________________
>absence of evidence ≠ evidence of absence<
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Uncle GroOve for this useful post:
  #35  
Old 19.10.2011, 20:31
Capetownian's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Zentralschweiz
Posts: 112
Groaned at 19 Times in 6 Posts
Thanked 271 Times in 78 Posts
Capetownian has earned the respect of manyCapetownian has earned the respect of manyCapetownian has earned the respect of many
Re: Elliptical workout (Questions to the experts)

In my experience the generic formula for maximum heart rate is not very accurate - the one that I remember being 220 - age.
To be more accurate for your own body you can go out for a run, warm-up for 10 minutes or longer if you can and then start to run faster for a short time, end with running up an ascent as fast as you can until you really can't anymore. That heart rate is then close to your body's 'maximum'. You would need to borrow a heart rate monitor though if you don't have one. (BTW heart rate monitors with straps around the chest are also far more accurate than hand sensor ones). It's a useful thing to do once to get an idea for what is normal for you.
My maximum heart rate is about 200 and I often run at a heart rate of 180 to 190 so I wouldn't panic about the 158.

I think the fat-burning zone is the optimal zone for the body to burn fat as it's kilojoule source, as going faster tends to burn more carbohydrate kilojoule sources. I find this pretty useless though because I feel the fat-burning zone is normally too light a workout and the body's weight is determined more by kilojoules burned versus ingested as opposed to if it is a fat or carbohydrate kilojoule.

Hope this helps
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Capetownian for this useful post:
  #36  
Old 19.10.2011, 22:04
Nil's Avatar
Nil Nil is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Basel
Posts: 10,356
Groaned at 428 Times in 333 Posts
Thanked 16,045 Times in 6,322 Posts
Nil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Elliptical workout (Questions to the experts)

Quote:
View Post
In my experience the generic formula for maximum heart rate is not very accurate - the one that I remember being 220 - age.
To be more accurate for your own body you can go out for a run, warm-up for 10 minutes or longer if you can and then start to run faster for a short time, end with running up an ascent as fast as you can until you really can't anymore. That heart rate is then close to your body's 'maximum'. You would need to borrow a heart rate monitor though if you don't have one. (BTW heart rate monitors with straps around the chest are also far more accurate than hand sensor ones). It's a useful thing to do once to get an idea for what is normal for you.
My maximum heart rate is about 200 and I often run at a heart rate of 180 to 190 so I wouldn't panic about the 158.

I think the fat-burning zone is the optimal zone for the body to burn fat as it's kilojoule source, as going faster tends to burn more carbohydrate kilojoule sources. I find this pretty useless though because I feel the fat-burning zone is normally too light a workout and the body's weight is determined more by kilojoules burned versus ingested as opposed to if it is a fat or carbohydrate kilojoule.

Hope this helps
Thanks for the info.

I have a chest monitor so it seems pretty accurate. I could just focus to do a good workout and how much calories are spend? Because I am still not sure how to understand my THR. when I reach 158, I am able to keep it for the whole 25 minutes but I am sweating a LOT. I am not able to hold a conversation. I am not in shape at all, so for sure it is hard work.

As long as I take care of what I eat, if I know hoe much approx. it is, I can burn a 500 cal. per day and I am going to lose. I guess I am eating between 1300-1500 per day. I am hoping to lose the water with this workout since it is the most annoying part..

Please keep teaching me stuff, it doesn't fall in a deaf ear.

Nil
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
fitness. elliptical.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Experts predict the housing bubble is about to burst olygirl Housing in general 84 23.08.2011 20:50
Interesting Speed Camera Situation (for the experts:)) henric Transportation/driving 42 07.11.2010 16:38
Calling all garden furniture experts, and the Swedish... Mr Happy Other/general 12 17.09.2007 22:06
Yet another permit question for the experts cricketer Permits/visas/government 4 02.06.2007 11:20


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 04:03.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0