Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Activities > Sports / Fitness / Beauty / Wellness  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 31.10.2011, 14:07
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 107
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 9 Times in 6 Posts
kev132 has no particular reputation at present
Beginner snowboarding - would these help?

Hi all - sorry if this is a dumb question, but wondering would wearing boxing hand wraps (like attached) help.

Some background - going to try it for the first time around Christmas... complete beginner... know injuries to wrist are common, 2 of my friends hurt theirs at the start... if I like it plan to buy proper protection equipment etc ... but not sure about spending 100s on gear to find out I don't actually like it.... used to box so have a pair of these already I could use under my gloves.

For boxing they are to remove impact and help prevent impact wrist injuries. I know they might not do the exact / perfect job in this case, but surely they would help yeah?

What you guys think?

Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 31.10.2011, 14:07
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 107
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 9 Times in 6 Posts
kev132 has no particular reputation at present
Re: Beginner snowboarding - would these help?

PS, that isn't my hand
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 31.10.2011, 14:09
bigblue2's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Glarus
Posts: 8,082
Groaned at 484 Times in 403 Posts
Thanked 14,715 Times in 5,780 Posts
bigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Beginner snowboarding - would these help?

no, get some decent gloves with wrist protectors
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 31.10.2011, 14:18
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 107
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 9 Times in 6 Posts
kev132 has no particular reputation at present
Re: Beginner snowboarding - would these help?

OK, but like I said never tried it before, might not like it. SO before I spent 100s buying a helmet, back guard, wrist & knee guards what I'm wondering is would these help enough that I could try it out without incurring the cost of all of this.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 31.10.2011, 14:20
bigblue2's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Glarus
Posts: 8,082
Groaned at 484 Times in 403 Posts
Thanked 14,715 Times in 5,780 Posts
bigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Beginner snowboarding - would these help?

Quote:
View Post
OK, but like I said never tried it before, might not like it. SO before I spent 100s buying a helmet, back guard, wrist & knee guards what I'm wondering is would these help enough that I could try it out without incurring the cost of all of this.

hire the gear then, and have a proper lesson
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank bigblue2 for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 31.10.2011, 14:22
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 107
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 9 Times in 6 Posts
kev132 has no particular reputation at present
Re: Beginner snowboarding - would these help?

yes but can you hire the protection for wrists etc also?

I do plan to get lessons, we're giong to spend a weekend at the start doing this.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 31.10.2011, 14:28
bigblue2's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Glarus
Posts: 8,082
Groaned at 484 Times in 403 Posts
Thanked 14,715 Times in 5,780 Posts
bigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Beginner snowboarding - would these help?

Quote:
View Post
yes but can you hire the protection for wrists etc also?

I do plan to get lessons, we're giong to spend a weekend at the start doing this.

you can hire everything, most wrist protect gloves have the protectors as an insert, so even if you don't board again you can still use the gloves
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 31.10.2011, 14:40
TidakApa's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Top of a Triangle
Posts: 2,992
Groaned at 38 Times in 29 Posts
Thanked 5,673 Times in 2,039 Posts
TidakApa has a reputation beyond reputeTidakApa has a reputation beyond reputeTidakApa has a reputation beyond reputeTidakApa has a reputation beyond reputeTidakApa has a reputation beyond reputeTidakApa has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Beginner snowboarding - would these help?

Personally,

Your hands are going to get REAL cold.

Buy proper gloves and don't be a cheap skate.

My gloves are mittens that have a 'glove' liner inside with a zipper on the side (to free your fingers).

The temperatures can be very cold and dry sometimes so you also want to avoid this:




but hey, it's your choice.

Protect your hands and your fingers.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 31.10.2011, 14:50
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 107
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 9 Times in 6 Posts
kev132 has no particular reputation at present
Re: Beginner snowboarding - would these help?

"don't be a cheap skate"

OK - lets go backwards.

1) I have never tried ANYTHING on snow or ice before
2) What I'm saying is before I go and spend 100s I want to try it
3) What I'm trying to do is sort enough so I can try it comfortable and safely without forking out all this cash
4) I plan to buy winter trousers, jacket and gloves and rent everything else
5) I plan to get lessons too
6) BUT basic winter clothes + lessons + ski pass = 500 CHF! What I'm trynig to do is not make this closer to 1000 CHF for something I dont know if I like or not
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank kev132 for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 31.10.2011, 14:53
bigblue2's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Glarus
Posts: 8,082
Groaned at 484 Times in 403 Posts
Thanked 14,715 Times in 5,780 Posts
bigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Beginner snowboarding - would these help?

Quote:
View Post
"don't be a cheap skate"

OK - lets go backwards.

1) I have never tried ANYTHING on snow or ice before
2) What I'm saying is before I go and spend 100s I want to try it
3) What I'm trying to do is sort enough so I can try it comfortable and safely without forking out all this cash
4) I plan to buy winter trousers, jacket and gloves and rent everything else
5) I plan to get lessons too
6) BUT basic winter clothes + lessons + ski pass = 500 CHF! What I'm trynig to do is not make this closer to 1000 CHF for something I dont know if I like or not
the jump from gloves to wrist protect gloves isn't huge

personally I'd advise anyone trying boarding to wear a helmet and wear wrist protectors, if you don't then you are in for pain, the kind of pain that requires a trip to the hospital (and a huge bill)
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank bigblue2 for this useful post:
  #11  
Old 31.10.2011, 14:56
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SO
Posts: 158
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 198 Times in 83 Posts
hjj_74 has an excellent reputationhjj_74 has an excellent reputationhjj_74 has an excellent reputationhjj_74 has an excellent reputation
Re: Beginner snowboarding - would these help?

Quote:
View Post
Hi all - sorry if this is a dumb question, but wondering would wearing boxing hand wraps (like attached) help.

Some background - going to try it for the first time around Christmas... complete beginner... know injuries to wrist are common, 2 of my friends hurt theirs at the start... if I like it plan to buy proper protection equipment etc ... but not sure about spending 100s on gear to find out I don't actually like it.... used to box so have a pair of these already I could use under my gloves.

For boxing they are to remove impact and help prevent impact wrist injuries. I know they might not do the exact / perfect job in this case, but surely they would help yeah?

What you guys think?

The impact from using your hands to catch you during a fall really concentrates on the underlying bones. Most injuries during such a fall are related to the wrist bones, small hand bones, radius, and ulna, as usually the wrist is partially flexed dorsally (towards the back of the hand).

The boxing tape is much more to keep the wrist straight when punching. These axial forces are much easier to maintain, and usually impact only the wrist bands.

Also, the forces during a fall are usually much greater than the forces of throwing a punch. As a beginner, you will be falling every 2-3 minutes. Take the advice posted above, hire the right equipment with a metal brace fitted inside a dedicated glove, and don't get hurt.

If you cannot afford to hire the right equipment, how are you going to pay for the ski lift in the first place?

edit: I should rephrase: if you cannot afford to hire the right equipment, don't start.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 31.10.2011, 15:00
TidakApa's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Top of a Triangle
Posts: 2,992
Groaned at 38 Times in 29 Posts
Thanked 5,673 Times in 2,039 Posts
TidakApa has a reputation beyond reputeTidakApa has a reputation beyond reputeTidakApa has a reputation beyond reputeTidakApa has a reputation beyond reputeTidakApa has a reputation beyond reputeTidakApa has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Beginner snowboarding - would these help?

Quote:
View Post
"don't be a cheap skate"

OK - lets go backwards.

1) I have never tried ANYTHING on snow or ice before
2) What I'm saying is before I go and spend 100s I want to try it
3) What I'm trying to do is sort enough so I can try it comfortable and safely without forking out all this cash
4) I plan to buy winter trousers, jacket and gloves and rent everything else
5) I plan to get lessons too
6) BUT basic winter clothes + lessons + ski pass = 500 CHF! What I'm trynig to do is not make this closer to 1000 CHF for something I dont know if I like or not

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound harsh before.


I was in the same situation as you not so long ago (two years ago was the first time for me as well) so I can "fast track" a few of your fears.

Firstly,
SNOW HURTS much more than you think, and YES it is an expensive activity.

But you do have to keep yourself covered and protected from the elements or else you won't enjoy it at all.

To start, yep, just get whatever you can and take it easy.

But moving forward, you are going to have to start to 'splurge' a little for a few comforts... you spend a looooong time outside and it gets cold. Finding clothes that breathe, are light weight and maneuverable, while keeping yourself dry and warm is the key to enjoying the day.


What I would suggest is to tell us a bit more about yourself and see if someone has some old gear that might suit you.

eg.
What is your height?
Weight?
boot size?
Board or Ski?
etc.

Keep your eyes peeled on the "For Sale" section leading into winter. Where people buy new stuff, they like to get rid of the old gear....... keep your eyes on the new gear prices so you don't get ripped off.


Shame you just missed the "Ice ripper" snowboarders feamarket in Oerlikon on the weekend...... bad timing
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank TidakApa for this useful post:
  #13  
Old 31.10.2011, 15:02
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 17,039
Groaned at 649 Times in 502 Posts
Thanked 25,825 Times in 10,409 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Beginner snowboarding - would these help?

I'm going to buck the trend.

Your boxing wrap idea seems like a great idea. I reckon it would be better than nothing and should protect you fairly well for the first few days.

As others have said, your hands may get cold so wear some warm mitts over the top but to be honest, as a beginner, you're likely to get quite warm anyway.

If you really get into the sport then that's the time to spend a fair amount on a decent pair of gloves with in-built protection.

Have fun!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 31.10.2011, 15:50
dodgyken's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Democratic Republic Kenistan
Posts: 10,653
Groaned at 279 Times in 230 Posts
Thanked 19,403 Times in 7,402 Posts
dodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Beginner snowboarding - would these help?

Here is my advice - from someone who has had just 1/2 day lesson the first year I arrived:

1) Try and blag/borrow the trousers and jacket. If you socialise in ex-pat circles that should be be at least 1 person willing to lend you something for a weekend.

2) Go private. You'll not go wrong with a half day private lesson - one-on-one. You'll learn far more than being in a group - progress at your speed.

3) Get to know people. See 1). Getting to know other ex-pats ahead of the season will mean you can head to the mountains as a group. We've all been newbies on snow - and some people are willing to sacrifice a day to help out learners.

4) What to wear first time? See 1). Maybe they'll even throw in a pair of mittens. And YES MITTENS not gloves. You'll spend a huge amount of time on your arse and/or hands - so have mittens. If you can't borrow some - buy some - and make sure they are VERY warm.

5) Anything else. Layer up - you'll work out - and if you're not proper fit or used to the mountains you'll get a good sweat on. Make sure you can ditch layers.

So - you've been up once - what next?
1) Buy some kit. The basics - trousers (you really want a warm "bottom" half as a beginner), jacket, goggles (not sunglasses) - they are safer if you wipe out (which you will) and you'll get more days wear from them, good mittens, and most importantly a HELMET (Like a condom - I'd rather have one and not need it - then need it and not have one).

2) Board/bindings/boots. 2 options - new or secondhand. For boots spend the time trying different pairs - a GOOD resort rental shop will let you try various boots. And bindings. And boards. Don't go too advanced to start with. A nice simple piste board - not too hard/too soft will be a good start.

3) Get out there at practice. Be prepared to crash. Be prepared to ache. Be prepared to rape your accident insurance for countless injuries (broken nose, torn thumb ligaments, broken tail bone) - but it'll be worthwhile.

In my view one of the "nicest" places to start in Nagens in Flims. It is expensive - BUT the nursery slope is easy. The blue run down is wide, shallow - with just the odd difficult sections - and most importantly a Gondola to allow you some time to relax between runs.

As for wrist guards - I have never worn them while boarding
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 31.10.2011, 16:16
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Beginner snowboarding - would these help?

Better than nothing- but wrist guards stop your hand 'folding back' boxing gloves won't. Wrist and knee guards are sold as a pack from all sports stores (do you have a Decathlon or similar near you) - no need at all for back/body protection as a beginner- really. Are you still in Ireland? In England I'd advise having 5 lessons at Snowdome (Tamworth) or Snowzone (Milton Keynes) (perhaps another artifcial slope with 'real' snow (Sheffied?). With 5 lessons you will know how do deal with your edges without being catapulted on knees or bum, and turn both ways, etc. I used to do that with all my students before going on a snowboarding trip to CH- so by the time we got to the real thing, they were ready to fly.

Don't borrow best gear from friends- as tears are commonplace with beginners- only stuff they have left over from early days.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 31.10.2011, 16:21
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 107
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 9 Times in 6 Posts
kev132 has no particular reputation at present
Re: Beginner snowboarding - would these help?

Guys - unless I'm taking this wrong, is this called for?

"If you cannot afford to hire the right equipment, how are you going to pay for the ski lift in the first place?

edit: I should rephrase: if you cannot afford to hire the right equipment, don't start. "

It's not about being able to afford things! It's about spending 1000 CHF on something to try it once. All I'm asking is....first time what is the least I need to buy to try it AND what else I can use / borrow / steal to cover me over.

These sort of answers aren't really helping to be honest. Remember your first time in a cold country. I've never had snow, OR snow tyres OR skied.... These may be stupid questions to you, but they aren't to me.

If you think I'm over-reacting, I apologise. But a lot of people on here get shot down in what I feel is a pretty insulting way, by people who "know more than them"
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank kev132 for this useful post:
  #17  
Old 31.10.2011, 16:25
bigblue2's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Glarus
Posts: 8,082
Groaned at 484 Times in 403 Posts
Thanked 14,715 Times in 5,780 Posts
bigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Beginner snowboarding - would these help?

Quote:
View Post
Guys - unless I'm taking this wrong, is this called for?

"If you cannot afford to hire the right equipment, how are you going to pay for the ski lift in the first place?

edit: I should rephrase: if you cannot afford to hire the right equipment, don't start. "

It's not about being able to afford things! It's about spending 1000 CHF on something to try it once. All I'm asking is....first time what is the least I need to buy to try it AND what else I can use / borrow / steal to cover me over.

These sort of answers aren't really helping to be honest. Remember your first time in a cold country. I've never had snow, OR snow tyres OR skied.... These may be stupid questions to you, but they aren't to me.

If you think I'm over-reacting, I apologise. But a lot of people on here get shot down in what I feel is a pretty insulting way, by people who "know more than them"
I can only advise from experience, whether you beg, borrow or steal a helmet and wrist protectors you should use them. We had a visitor a couple of season back who didn't bother with wrist protectors, and broke his wrist, that was 2 days in hospital, 6 bolts and a plate and a very large bill, and ever since then he has had issues with the wrist. But its totally your choice.

ETA he also screamed like a little girl, and we've never let him forget it, apparently it hurts quite a bit
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 31.10.2011, 16:28
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 17,039
Groaned at 649 Times in 502 Posts
Thanked 25,825 Times in 10,409 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Beginner snowboarding - would these help?

Quote:
View Post
Guys - unless I'm taking this wrong, is this called for?

"If you cannot afford to hire the right equipment, how are you going to pay for the ski lift in the first place?

edit: I should rephrase: if you cannot afford to hire the right equipment, don't start. "

It's not about being able to afford things! It's about spending 1000 CHF on something to try it once. All I'm asking is....first time what is the least I need to buy to try it AND what else I can use / borrow / steal to cover me over.

These sort of answers aren't really helping to be honest. Remember your first time in a cold country. I've never had snow, OR snow tyres OR skied.... These may be stupid questions to you, but they aren't to me.

If you think I'm over-reacting, I apologise. But a lot of people on here get shot down in what I feel is a pretty insulting way, by people who "know more than them"
The first week I went snowboarding, I used a waterproof rain jacket, a fleece, a pair of borrowed trousers and an old pair of sunglasses. I had a great time.

I hired a board and boots. Total cost for clothing - nil.

You don't even need a lift pass for the first day - you'll probably just use the magic carpet.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 31.10.2011, 16:30
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Gattikon
Posts: 187
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 126 Times in 65 Posts
Harriet and Patrick has earned the respect of manyHarriet and Patrick has earned the respect of manyHarriet and Patrick has earned the respect of many
Re: Beginner snowboarding - would these help?

If you just want to try it and are not sure...

Buy some wrist guards from ebay Ricardo etc... - I got a great pair for 2 and put mittens over the top - job done.

I would try and get yourself some impact shorts..... by the second day you will be in alot of pain with out them.

Go to Lidl and get some cheap clothing or look out on English forum, Ricardo and Ebay as in Switzerland it is cheaper than renting.

If you like it then get yourself some proper gear over the years when you look cool
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Harriet and Patrick for this useful post:
  #20  
Old 31.10.2011, 16:35
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 107
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 9 Times in 6 Posts
kev132 has no particular reputation at present
Re: Beginner snowboarding - would these help?

thanks guys - keep it coming!

Probably just need to get the workarounds sorted at the start, so i have enough to be covered / safe BUT without forking out crazy money.

Probably need to look more at ebay / ricardo etc yeah.

Cheers
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
An MBA student needs help:) Would you like to help me?? gunes General off-topic 28 27.07.2011 01:13
Does anyone think these Sat, home Cinema services would be useful? saint7uk TV/internet/telephone 3 23.04.2011 19:28
In which of these sloppy ways would you go green in CH? Guest Daily life 26 26.05.2009 14:30


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 21:35.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0