Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Activities > Sports / Fitness / Beauty / Wellness  
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #81  
Old 11.03.2008, 10:17
elabrandon's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 165
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 10 Times in 6 Posts
elabrandon has no particular reputation at present
Re: Gyms in Zurich

Quote:
View Post
Did you ask them is you can use the facilities if you are a member of the ASVZ (asvz.ch)? (For a yearly membership of just CHF 350!! )
no I did not ask that. I will next time. I am still waiting for my permanent visa to be finished so I probably can't get the ASVZ membership until it's processed. How many locations are there and where are they located?
Thanks!
elizabeth
  #82  
Old 02.04.2008, 11:20
elabrandon's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 165
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 10 Times in 6 Posts
elabrandon has no particular reputation at present
Re: Gyms in Zurich

Quote:
View Post
That'll be Kieser Training. No music, no food, just water and machines. www.kieser-training.ch/
Does anyone know a location for one of these gyms? I went to the website, but it's in German and I don't read German yet...
help? anyone? I really need to find a gym with real weights.
Thanks!!!!!!!! elizabeth
  #83  
Old 02.04.2008, 12:40
Nathu's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Zürich
Posts: 4,674
Groaned at 18 Times in 16 Posts
Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,248 Posts
Nathu has a reputation beyond reputeNathu has a reputation beyond reputeNathu has a reputation beyond reputeNathu has a reputation beyond reputeNathu has a reputation beyond reputeNathu has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Gyms in Zurich

Quote:
View Post
Does anyone know a location for one of these gyms? I went to the website, but it's in German and I don't read German yet...
help? anyone? I really need to find a gym with real weights.
Thanks!!!!!!!! elizabeth
Go to "Standorte" and click the drop-down menu on the right.
  #84  
Old 02.04.2008, 13:28
elabrandon's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 165
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 10 Times in 6 Posts
elabrandon has no particular reputation at present
Re: Gyms in Zurich

Quote:
View Post
Go to "Standorte" and click the drop-down menu on the right.
Thank you! Can you tell I am somewhat desperate?
that's just lack of those post weight session endorphins...
elizabeth, aka deprived gym rat
  #85  
Old 02.04.2008, 21:11
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: zürich
Posts: 746
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 74 Times in 42 Posts
Diem is considered knowledgeableDiem is considered knowledgeableDiem is considered knowledgeable
Re: Gyms in Zurich

Quote:
View Post
I really need to find a gym with real weights.
Hi Elizabeth,

I'd politely suggest you go back up this thread to the beginning. There have been several places mentioned where you can train with free weights. I train at www.mcfit.ch which has free weights, machines, cardio etc.

http://www.englishforum.ch/sports-fi...html#post13050

ciao
  #86  
Old 02.04.2008, 22:42
elabrandon's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 165
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 10 Times in 6 Posts
elabrandon has no particular reputation at present
Re: Gyms in Zurich

Quote:
View Post
Hi Elizabeth,

I'd politely suggest you go back up this thread to the beginning. There have been several places mentioned where you can train with free weights. I train at www.mcfit.ch which has free weights, machines, cardio etc.

http://www.englishforum.ch/sports-fi...html#post13050

ciao
Oh, but I did. it's just I needed something closer to where I am currently living. I think I will visit Keiser Training tomorrow, if that doesn't work, I'll check out your gym. Thanks! it will be nice to find a place where I can do chin ups without freezing my hands to the metal bar outside...
  #87  
Old 17.05.2008, 15:53
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: zurich
Posts: 10
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
gusmao has no particular reputation at present
Re: Gyms in Zurich

Hello! Does anybody know a gym near Schwamendingerplatz (8051) ? I searched in the net and read the whole thread, but it looks like that zone is very poorly served by gyms, to say the least.
  #88  
Old 17.05.2008, 18:08
Tilia's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: ZH
Posts: 2,767
Groaned at 81 Times in 45 Posts
Thanked 2,649 Times in 1,194 Posts
Tilia has a reputation beyond reputeTilia has a reputation beyond reputeTilia has a reputation beyond reputeTilia has a reputation beyond reputeTilia has a reputation beyond reputeTilia has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Gyms in Zurich

One of the better gyms in Zürich is actually in Schwamendingen, on the border to Dübendorf - Schumacher - www.sfcs.ch. 2 km down the road from you along Dübendorferstrasse (right by Bahnhof Stettbach). Enjoy! :-)


Quote:
View Post
Hello! Does anybody know a gym near Schwamendingerplatz (8051) ? I searched in the net and read the whole thread, but it looks like that zone is very poorly served by gyms, to say the least.
  #89  
Old 18.05.2008, 12:08
Wingnut's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 79
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 36 Times in 22 Posts
Wingnut has earned some respectWingnut has earned some respect
Re: Gyms in Zurich

I go to Fitnesspark (mostly Stockerhof) and I definitely like it. I've gone to gyms all over the world for well over 15 years and I have to say fitnesspark is one of the cleaner ones I've come across. Yes, stockerhof gets crowded between 5-7 but that's gyms for you, I doubt any central gym will not be crowded post work hours.

My only gripe with the gym (apart from that overly tattooed guy screaming his lungs out and pretending he knows everyone) is that they're a bit of towel-nazis when it comes to covering your machine with them. And I always wish gyms should provide you with a towel (the super fancy ones tend to)...

I also wish there was just a few more free weights, but I really can't complain, and some of the free weight exercises I used to do that I can't now because of missing "tools", I've reluctantly converted to machine exercises, and to my surprise they seem to target my muscles even better. And having basically a full SPA that I can use whenever I want more than makes up for the lack of a few weights.

Anyway, I just saw that Fitnesspark has a 150CHF 1-month-pass offer for a that's valid from June 1 to September 30 at 5 of the parks, which is a seriously good deal. You have to buy it before May 26. Here's the info:
http://www.fitnesspark.ch/zh/front_c...retendart=2644
  #90  
Old 12.07.2008, 13:20
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 9
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
adamn has no particular reputation at present
Re: Gyms in Zurich

Hi I just moved to zurich and work on Seefeldstrasse near Tiefenbrunnen station. Can anyone tell me the closest gym to here please and if possible the cost. thanks.
  #91  
Old 27.07.2008, 20:04
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: zurich
Posts: 1
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ka9q has no particular reputation at present
Re: Gyms in Zurich

I will be visiting Zurich for one week, and I would like to visit a gym 2 or 3 times. Please could somebody advise a gym in Zurich with one-entry/weekly passes which has olympic barbell and power rack? Thanks!
  #92  
Old 02.09.2008, 16:59
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 4
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
fifi_bda has no particular reputation at present
Re: Gyms in Zurich

Hi everyone,

I went and checked out Arena225 this morning after finding that their website wasn't particularly well-illustrated. Not knowing what I'd find it turns out to be a really great place! There is one huge room with loads of machines including treadmills, ellipticals, weight machines and a free weight area. This is very modern and they actually only finished the area five days ago. Upstairs from that is a small lofted area for stretching and quiet time. Downstairs is where the machines used to be in a smaller room. I think that is for aerobics classes etc now.

In a completely separate area there are several large dance studios one with a piano. These are impressive, but knowing nothing about dance I can't really comment.

All in all looks like a well-equipped gym that would be pleasant to work out in.
  #93  
Old 18.09.2008, 21:48
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 17
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Horta has no particular reputation at present
Re: Gyms in Zurich

I recently joined West side fitness, near the Escher-wyss platz. The website looked a bit tacky but in the end it's quite a nice gym. Much space and a huge variety of machines and free weights. There was absolutely no introduction at all when I joined, but I it's quite easy to get around although I would recommend a personal training session if you're new to all of this. Opening hours are ideal too, from 5:30am untill 01:00 am during weekdays and I've never seen the place being overcrowded. Just one warning, the local staff can only speak German (and probably Serbo-croation too).
  #94  
Old 26.09.2008, 20:41
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Gyms in Zurich

Celebrating today after Stuart May at Focus14.ch successfully renovated my body and mind, and I got back into my jeans this morning just 6 months after giving birth!!! It took over two years with the last kid, so this is a huge personal success. Can totally recommend the place - pricey but you get what you pay for - my whole outlook and approach to eating and exercise has been changed forever...!
  #95  
Old 07.10.2008, 17:36
Jaro's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Rafz (ZH)
Posts: 1,319
Groaned at 91 Times in 70 Posts
Thanked 624 Times in 343 Posts
Jaro has a reputation beyond reputeJaro has a reputation beyond reputeJaro has a reputation beyond reputeJaro has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Gyms in Zurich

Quote:
View Post
Celebrating today after Stuart May at Focus14.ch successfully renovated my body and mind, and I got back into my jeans this morning just 6 months after giving birth!!! It took over two years with the last kid, so this is a huge personal success. Can totally recommend the place - pricey but you get what you pay for - my whole outlook and approach to eating and exercise has been changed forever...!
hmmm..tell us more about this...looks promising...perhaps you can refer me and get something?
  #96  
Old 07.10.2008, 23:08
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Gyms in Zurich

There's nothing in it for me my friend other than the pleasure of fitting into my jeans. But I'll gladly introduce you if you'd like someone to hold your hand!
  #97  
Old 08.10.2008, 09:34
Jaro's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Rafz (ZH)
Posts: 1,319
Groaned at 91 Times in 70 Posts
Thanked 624 Times in 343 Posts
Jaro has a reputation beyond reputeJaro has a reputation beyond reputeJaro has a reputation beyond reputeJaro has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Gyms in Zurich

Quote:
View Post
There's nothing in it for me my friend other than the pleasure of fitting into my jeans. But I'll gladly introduce you if you'd like someone to hold your hand!
No no...we ok...big boy here....how often did you go, what was it like...tell me
  #98  
Old 19.10.2008, 20:11
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Gyms in Zurich

Hi Jaro! I'm still going - I may get into my jeans, but there's still plenty of work to be done! It's a once a week thing, and then you're set a certain amount of 'homework' to do by yourself. The first session is taken up with evaluating your current state of fitness / health - which I found frustrating at the time, but am glad for now. What's been great is learning how to do each exercise thoroughly and correctly and to therefore get the maximum benefit out of your time. It's not your typical gym at all; this is personal training at its best and it's all about your body and achieving your maximum potential. There are all sorts of people who go there from professional athletes down to mommy types like me. The guys are incredibly helpful, speak several languages, can provide nutritional advice and there's also a resident oteopath who's very good. It's pricey. Obviously. But I'm skint as a kipper (to use an English phrase for 'broke'!) and I've still found the cash because... I'm worth it dahling!! Try it out! It might just be the very thing!
  #99  
Old 19.10.2008, 20:15
Jaro's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Rafz (ZH)
Posts: 1,319
Groaned at 91 Times in 70 Posts
Thanked 624 Times in 343 Posts
Jaro has a reputation beyond reputeJaro has a reputation beyond reputeJaro has a reputation beyond reputeJaro has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Gyms in Zurich

Quote:
View Post
Hi Jaro! I'm still going - I may get into my jeans, but there's still plenty of work to be done! It's a once a week thing, and then you're set a certain amount of 'homework' to do by yourself. The first session is taken up with evaluating your current state of fitness / health - which I found frustrating at the time, but am glad for now. What's been great is learning how to do each exercise thoroughly and correctly and to therefore get the maximum benefit out of your time. It's not your typical gym at all; this is personal training at its best and it's all about your body and achieving your maximum potential. There are all sorts of people who go there from professional athletes down to mommy types like me. The guys are incredibly helpful, speak several languages, can provide nutritional advice and there's also a resident oteopath who's very good. It's pricey. Obviously. But I'm skint as a kipper (to use an English phrase for 'broke'!) and I've still found the cash because... I'm worth it dahling!! Try it out! It might just be the very thing!
well, I tried it..went 2 times and my trainer is doing a good job. Twice a week thing....did lots of working out in the past but now it is more about learning the right techniques and getting into the habit..

I might see you there...

Jaro
  #100  
Old 19.10.2008, 20:25
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Gyms in Zurich

Excellent!! I'm so chuffed for you! Its hard to adjust to actually moving my a*** in my case, but I just keep thinking of how much its costing and it kinda motivates me to say no to the extra cookie!! Who did you get - Stuart or Adam? I'm usually there Wednesdays around lunch.

See ya maybe - but hopefully not at my sweaty worst!!!
Closed Thread

Tags
fitness club, free weights, gym, gym weightlifting, gyms, gyms zurich




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT +2. The time now is 09:16.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0