Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Activities > Sports / Fitness / Beauty / Wellness  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 20.06.2012, 20:12
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Swimming pool hygiene?

Just come back from holiday in Egypt - and again, I am aghast at the lack of pool hygiene by so many. At our hotel pool, most guests just lay roasting in the sun (43C)- putting loads of sun-lotion of, sweating like broiling chickens, then dip in the pool to cool down, and all over again - never showering first. There were showers at several locations by the pool, with signs reminding everyone of the importance - but for the 2 weeks I was the only one to shower?

Some of the guests complained of tummy upsets and blamed the hotel food - when it is much more likely that the pool was to blame- or rather most pool users. Why do so many not understand the common sense and health/contamination principles - hardly rocket science??
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #2  
Old 20.06.2012, 20:22
Sutter's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Thurgau
Posts: 5,799
Groaned at 68 Times in 48 Posts
Thanked 2,824 Times in 1,605 Posts
Sutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swimming pool hygiene?

Seen this to some People are just too lazy to Walk to the shower before jumping in the Pool grrrrrrr. We always shower before After using the Pool. Another Point when my Kids were Babies i bought them swimming nappies Seen many Babies naked in the Pools Making pee pee in the Pool
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 20.06.2012, 20:25
Homer's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Berner Oberland
Posts: 706
Groaned at 10 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 799 Times in 363 Posts
Homer has a reputation beyond reputeHomer has a reputation beyond reputeHomer has a reputation beyond reputeHomer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swimming pool hygiene?

Yup, simple hygiene.

One of the reasons to make sure, when holidaying, to go somewhere next to the sea imho
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 20.06.2012, 20:25
slammer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Lummerland
Posts: 5,335
Groaned at 151 Times in 106 Posts
Thanked 9,297 Times in 3,535 Posts
slammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swimming pool hygiene?

Quote:
View Post
Seen this to some People are just too lazy to Walk to the shower before jumping in the Pool grrrrrrr. We always shower before After using the Pool. Another Point when my Kids were Babies i bought them swimming nappies Seen many Babies naked in the Pools Making pee pee in the Pool
That is why you should never go into the kiddie pool.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank slammer for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 20.06.2012, 20:42
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Swimming pool hygiene?

It seems to be less of a hygiene problem and more of a problem with the mix of chemicals in the pool. The chap at our local pool was telling me that if people have loads of moisturiser, hair gel or, in the case of the outdoor pool, suncream, it buggers about with the delicate levels of chlorine or whatever other chemicals they put in the filtration system.

Also, fluff from clothes and loose hair can build up in the filters more quickly than if it's swooshed off in the shower.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 20.06.2012, 20:50
mojado's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: ZH
Posts: 813
Groaned at 14 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 801 Times in 357 Posts
mojado has a reputation beyond reputemojado has a reputation beyond reputemojado has a reputation beyond reputemojado has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swimming pool hygiene?

True story: one of my kid's swimming lessons was cancelled because somebody did something very dirty in the pool .
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 20.06.2012, 23:57
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Swimming pool hygiene?

Quote:
It seems to be less of a hygiene problem and more of a problem with the mix of chemicals in the pool. The chap at our local pool was telling me that if people have loads of moisturiser, hair gel or, in the case of the outdoor pool, suncream, it buggers about with the delicate levels of chlorine or whatever other chemicals they put in the filtration system.

Also, fluff from clothes and loose hair can build up in the filters more quickly than if it's swooshed off in the shower.
One more reason to shower properly before entering the pool, no?
I cannot understand why intelligent people can sweat in the sunshine for an hour or so, full of suntan cream - and think it's OK to jump in the pool to wash it all off Why do so many people think it is acceptable. Would you wish to jump in the bath with sweaty people. It is just so disgusting, and a recipe for disaster- from skin rashes to serious stomach upsets and worse.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 21.06.2012, 00:05
Pancakes's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Zurich-ish
Posts: 5,061
Groaned at 286 Times in 204 Posts
Thanked 10,702 Times in 4,014 Posts
Pancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swimming pool hygiene?

What I don't like is that often, those showers are SOOOO damn cold!!! (Especially here in CH!)

Don't the Swiss have nervous systems, for &*%$'s sake?
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Pancakes for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 21.06.2012, 00:11
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Swimming pool hygiene?

Well, showers were lovely and warm in Sharm! The idea of a shower cooler than the pool water is to make sure you don't get a thermic shock on entry to pool, lol.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 21.06.2012, 02:00
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Lugano
Posts: 6,509
Groaned at 129 Times in 95 Posts
Thanked 7,889 Times in 3,677 Posts
Mrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swimming pool hygiene?

Quote:
View Post
True story: one of my kid's swimming lessons was cancelled because somebody did something very dirty in the pool .

Well if it wasn't this

or this

I guess that just leaves one other thing.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 21.06.2012, 02:32
Sbrinz's Avatar
RIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Murten - Morat
Posts: 11,866
Groaned at 563 Times in 354 Posts
Thanked 11,548 Times in 5,941 Posts
Sbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swimming pool hygiene?

Oldie but goodie,



and this,

Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Sbrinz for this useful post:
  #12  
Old 21.06.2012, 08:18
Nil's Avatar
Nil Nil is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Basel
Posts: 10,356
Groaned at 428 Times in 333 Posts
Thanked 16,045 Times in 6,322 Posts
Nil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swimming pool hygiene?

Quote:
Well, showers were lovely and warm in Sharm! The idea of a shower cooler than the pool water is to make sure you don't get a thermic shock on entry to pool, lol.
No I usually get it when using the shower before to enter the pool.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Nil for this useful post:
  #13  
Old 21.06.2012, 08:42
Assassin's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chasing clouds
Posts: 4,023
Groaned at 180 Times in 123 Posts
Thanked 11,560 Times in 3,148 Posts
Assassin has a reputation beyond reputeAssassin has a reputation beyond reputeAssassin has a reputation beyond reputeAssassin has a reputation beyond reputeAssassin has a reputation beyond reputeAssassin has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swimming pool hygiene?

I'm sure that when the Muslim Brothers are announced as winners of the recent Egyptian elections they'll take their hygiene responsibilities very seriously and ensure that women simply won't be allowed to bathe in public, ever.

Problem solved. Simples.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 21.06.2012, 09:23
drmom's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Somewhere in SG
Posts: 2,341
Groaned at 12 Times in 12 Posts
Thanked 2,187 Times in 1,050 Posts
drmom has a reputation beyond reputedrmom has a reputation beyond reputedrmom has a reputation beyond reputedrmom has a reputation beyond reputedrmom has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swimming pool hygiene?

Quote:
View Post
Seen this to some People are just too lazy to Walk to the shower before jumping in the Pool grrrrrrr. We always shower before After using the Pool. Another Point when my Kids were Babies i bought them swimming nappies Seen many Babies naked in the Pools Making pee pee in the Pool
Um, those swim diapers don't hold in the pee...they are there to keep the solid waste in tact long enough to deal with it...I am sure kids with swim diapers on are still weeing to their hearts content.

Quote:
Just come back from holiday in Egypt - and again, I am aghast at the lack of pool hygiene by so many. At our hotel pool, most guests just lay roasting in the sun (43C)- putting loads of sun-lotion of, sweating like broiling chickens, then dip in the pool to cool down, and all over again - never showering first. There were showers at several locations by the pool, with signs reminding everyone of the importance - but for the 2 weeks I was the only one to shower?

Some of the guests complained of tummy upsets and blamed the hotel food - when it is much more likely that the pool was to blame- or rather most pool users. Why do so many not understand the common sense and health/contamination principles - hardly rocket science??
the solution to pollution is dilution Maybe the places need to put up signs to explain why it is important?
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 21.06.2012, 10:40
Mar Mar is offline
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Zürich
Posts: 12
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Mar has no particular reputation at present
Re: Swimming pool hygiene?

Quote:
View Post
True story: one of my kid's swimming lessons was cancelled because somebody did something very dirty in the pool .
That happened to my son's lessons a few months ago Someone did that brownie thing...
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 21.06.2012, 12:51
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Zurich
Posts: 588
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 236 Times in 146 Posts
c123 has earned some respectc123 has earned some respect
Re: Swimming pool hygiene?

Quote:
View Post
Would love to visit Tokyo, but I think I would give Tokyo Summerland a miss...
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 21.06.2012, 12:58
MacGregor's Daughter's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Zug
Posts: 3,169
Groaned at 31 Times in 23 Posts
Thanked 3,563 Times in 1,463 Posts
MacGregor's Daughter has a reputation beyond reputeMacGregor's Daughter has a reputation beyond reputeMacGregor's Daughter has a reputation beyond reputeMacGregor's Daughter has a reputation beyond reputeMacGregor's Daughter has a reputation beyond reputeMacGregor's Daughter has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swimming pool hygiene?

Quote:
View Post
I'm sure that when the Muslim Brothers are announced as winners of the recent Egyptian elections they'll take their hygiene responsibilities very seriously and ensure that women simply won't be allowed to bathe in public, ever.

Problem solved. Simples.
You don't need sunscreen when wearing a burkini and it will hold back all your sweat and no lose hair falling out.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank MacGregor's Daughter for this useful post:
  #18  
Old 21.06.2012, 13:02
Pancakes's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Zurich-ish
Posts: 5,061
Groaned at 286 Times in 204 Posts
Thanked 10,702 Times in 4,014 Posts
Pancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swimming pool hygiene?

Quote:
View Post
Would love to visit Tokyo, but I think I would give Tokyo Summerland a miss...
I don't suggest anyone visit Tokyo in the Summertime! It is RIDICULOUSLY hot and humid there! I think I lost 15 pounds in just 3 days there one August.

Hmm... on second thought, maybe I should go back.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Pancakes for this useful post:
  #19  
Old 21.06.2012, 13:12
JBZ86's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Zurich and various mountains
Posts: 3,709
Groaned at 520 Times in 337 Posts
Thanked 4,258 Times in 1,944 Posts
JBZ86 has a reputation beyond reputeJBZ86 has a reputation beyond reputeJBZ86 has a reputation beyond reputeJBZ86 has a reputation beyond reputeJBZ86 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swimming pool hygiene?

Yes, when I am on holiday, taking stock of whether people have showered before and after their use of the pool is very high up on my agenda. The impact it has on my life and others is unbearable.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 21.06.2012, 13:43
YSR YSR is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Schaffhausen
Posts: 33
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 11 Times in 7 Posts
YSR has earned some respectYSR has earned some respect
Re: Swimming pool hygiene?



could be even worse...
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank YSR for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Swimming Pool party AREN General off-topic 3 21.04.2012 22:28
Swimming pool with childcare Alison_K Family matters/health 0 04.01.2012 20:15
Swimming trainer and swimming pool Basel Beautiful fairy Sports / Fitness / Beauty / Wellness 0 12.10.2011 10:04
heated swimming pool hadas Daily life 1 31.08.2011 12:09


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:11.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0