Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Activities > Sports / Fitness / Beauty / Wellness  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #241  
Old 06.05.2013, 12:32
Motorschweitz's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bassersdorf
Posts: 408
Groaned at 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 755 Times in 267 Posts
Motorschweitz has a reputation beyond reputeMotorschweitz has a reputation beyond reputeMotorschweitz has a reputation beyond reputeMotorschweitz has a reputation beyond reputeMotorschweitz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: I simpy can't lose weight ? :-S any advice ??

Quote:
View Post
I did not see any "zombies" doing step aerobics and I have nothing against middle aged housewives, do you? I do not recommend one single type of exercise for losing weight as there is nothing like ideal exercise to lose weight.
I mentioned the types of physical exercises that would influence burning more calories as this was not mentioned in this thread yet.

I understand your point now and you are right. Resistance training is important and it should be included in the routine if one wants to burn more calories and lose fat. Muscle tissue is metabolically active so the more of it you have the more calories you will burn, also at rest. It makes losing and maintaining a healthy weight much easier but still I wouldn't say that resistance training is the one and only way to lose weight. It is probably best to combine it with aerobic exercises for best results but this discussion (Which is better cardio or RT?) is not new.
Some do lots of RT and have great results while others focus mostly on cardio and are happy with these results too. Having a well-rounded approach to fitness is probably best. It also depends on what your long term goal is.

The only part in your post that brought my concern was "try lifting heavy things" as you did not give any specific details. RT does not have to be physically exhausting. Basic RT is good enough.
Not every woman likes to lift heavy things and once you decided to do weight lifting you need experienced instructor who will teach you how to do your exercises correctly without causing a damage to your spine or joints. In fact, many folks underestimate the importance of RT and/or don't know much about it.

I never said that cardio is the optimal choice for weight loss in the long run (and I I hope we can continue with this subject here) but "lifting heavy things" is not my cup of tea and most of women do not wish to look like Arnold at his best . Most of people know nothing about

When I think of resistance training (previously called weight training) I instantly see the image of big sweaty men pumping iron but what you (we) didn't mention in our discussion yet is that RT does not have to include heavy weight lifting and it involves variety of activities such as stability ball, thera-band and even using the resistance of your own body. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I am currently doing Pilates and this is also a form or RT and a good solution for those who hate weight lifting/classical resistance training at the gym.

Off to the gym now, I will get back to this later
Lou is absolutely correct. Women should not be afraid of lifting weights because of fear of bulking up like a bodybuilder - the women who look like bodybuilders (i.e. men) have taken some extremely drastic measures to reach that point. Unless you are a member of the DDR swim team, I think you will probably never look like Arnold.

Resistance training can also include bodyweight or whatever gadgets provide the resistance you want. But there is nothing in the world more effective than basic barbell training because it is something that you can increase incrementally to stimulate the body to adaptation, which ultimately leads to your goal - loss of fat.

My initial post was aimed at efficiency of weight loss. Resistance training is simply a more effective way to lose undesired weight (fat) because of the reasons I mentioned. But if you have a boatload of time, you can do it via cardio (LSD) training too, which I also mentioned in the post. I personally find cardio a huge waste of time, as I can meet my conditioning needs with intervals and minimal LSD, and I have no desire to be an endurance athlete.

You mention that RT does not have to be physically exhausting. Yes, it does. And all other training has to be physically exhausting too. If it isn't, then you're doing it wrong. Training is hard work. We in Western society are conditioned by the last 50-100 years to avoid hard work simply because we live in a time where it is possible to do so. Sure, you have to be smart about pushing yourself to the limit, but far too often people quit because they just don't have the mental discipline to do hard work.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - it really comes down to doing hard work, and discipline in diet. Usually, everyone who is frustrated with losing weight screws up the diet part, and they typically "think" they are working hard in their training when in reality they aren't.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Motorschweitz for this useful post:
  #242  
Old 06.05.2013, 17:30
IzabelaInZug's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 732
Groaned at 61 Times in 35 Posts
Thanked 485 Times in 257 Posts
IzabelaInZug is considered knowledgeableIzabelaInZug is considered knowledgeableIzabelaInZug is considered knowledgeable
Re: I simpy can't lose weight ? :-S any advice ??

Thanks for sharing your experience Motorschweitz. I agree, staying very fit and healthy is a challenging work and lots of us are not used to it today. Losing weight and keeping it off requires determination and discipline but one can learn it.
Off to swimming now (oh Joy!:P) or I will end up as pathetic couch potato today, me NEVER
I will get back to this conversation later and report on my latest progress
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank IzabelaInZug for this useful post:
  #243  
Old 30.05.2013, 21:46
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Zurich
Posts: 15
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Olga_D has no particular reputation at present
Re: I simpy can't lose weight ? :-S any advice ??

sports, sports and sports! do something, move and your body will be slimmer!
And of course a balance diet! I hope it will motivate you
Reply With Quote
  #244  
Old 22.07.2013, 12:11
princessduck's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 891
Groaned at 41 Times in 27 Posts
Thanked 492 Times in 265 Posts
princessduck has an excellent reputationprincessduck has an excellent reputationprincessduck has an excellent reputationprincessduck has an excellent reputation
Re: I simpy can't lose weight ? :-S any advice ??

So... any changes OP?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank princessduck for this useful post:
  #245  
Old 22.07.2013, 12:57
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: zurich
Posts: 26
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 13 Times in 3 Posts
Warcraft has no particular reputation at present
Re: I simpy can't lose weight ? :-S any advice ??

@motorschweiz

Sorry to interfere, but weight lifting turns me, for instance, into a boxer. My constitution is like this - upside down triangle. No matter what I do, my shoulders and back grow like easter dough When I gain weight I gain it on my shoulders and back first, and then it slowly flows down. Now I have 2-3 extra kilos, which I need to get rid of, and weight lifting, really, is not what would help me, it will just make me look like a boxer. Technically speaking, this is what happening now, because i swim a lot
Reply With Quote
  #246  
Old 26.07.2013, 09:12
Motorschweitz's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bassersdorf
Posts: 408
Groaned at 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 755 Times in 267 Posts
Motorschweitz has a reputation beyond reputeMotorschweitz has a reputation beyond reputeMotorschweitz has a reputation beyond reputeMotorschweitz has a reputation beyond reputeMotorschweitz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: I simpy can't lose weight ? :-S any advice ??

Quote:
View Post
@motorschweiz

Sorry to interfere, but weight lifting turns me, for instance, into a boxer. My constitution is like this - upside down triangle. No matter what I do, my shoulders and back grow like easter dough When I gain weight I gain it on my shoulders and back first, and then it slowly flows down. Now I have 2-3 extra kilos, which I need to get rid of, and weight lifting, really, is not what would help me, it will just make me look like a boxer. Technically speaking, this is what happening now, because i swim a lot
Sorry, haven't logged on in a while so I didn't see this till now.

First of all, you need to define what exactly you are doing by weight lifting. If you are gaining weight in your shoulders and back, then you are probably not doing the barbell squat. And if you are squatting, you are probably not squatting to full depth and with heavy weights. Most likely, you are doing things like the bench press, a variety of dumbbell presses, maybe some rowing movements, chins and dips, and probably a bunch of machine work.

There is simply no exercise better for overall strength, coordination, muscular development, balance, and mental focus than the heavy barbell squat. It is a full body exercise that simulates the most important movement in athletics - hip extension. The muscles of the trunk (your "six-pack" and the muscles of your upper and lower back) isometrically keep the trunk rigid as the hip extensors move through a huge range of motion concentrically and eccentrically.

Because it is such a huge stressor to your body, as a system - your body responds as a system, and heavy squats stimulate a hormonal response that affects the entire body. So if you are properly performing heavy squats, then your entire body will grow muscular. Also, because the damage done to your body is systemic from heavy squats, the body's recovery facilities go into overdrive and you end up burning fat, a huge amount of fat, just by this process - you are sleeping and burning fat at the same time.

The squat is the king, and the deadlift is the queen. So in all likelihood you are probably not deadlifting either. But properly performed heavy deadlifts stimulate the same type of whole-body response, though not to the degree the squat does due to the lower range of motion.

What makes both of these exercises so valuable is that the stress they induce can be increased incrementally, by adding more weight on the bar. This is a huge advantage over bodyweight exercises.

So, if I had to guess, you are not squatting with a full range of motion and with heavy weights. And you are probably not deadlifting with heavy weights. Without your statistics (height, weight, max squat, max bench, max dead) it's tough to say much more. But if you get under the bar and squat to full depth, doing a weight you can only do sets of 5 with, then more than likely your reverse triangle problem will go away.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Motorschweitz for this useful post:
  #247  
Old 26.07.2013, 09:38
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: basel
Posts: 2,362
Groaned at 24 Times in 16 Posts
Thanked 2,426 Times in 1,164 Posts
biff has a reputation beyond reputebiff has a reputation beyond reputebiff has a reputation beyond reputebiff has a reputation beyond reputebiff has a reputation beyond reputebiff has a reputation beyond repute
Re: I simpy can't lose weight ? :-S any advice ??

Quote:
View Post
@motorschweiz

Sorry to interfere, but weight lifting turns me, for instance, into a boxer. My constitution is like this - upside down triangle. No matter what I do, my shoulders and back grow like easter dough When I gain weight I gain it on my shoulders and back first, and then it slowly flows down. Now I have 2-3 extra kilos, which I need to get rid of, and weight lifting, really, is not what would help me, it will just make me look like a boxer. Technically speaking, this is what happening now, because i swim a lot
Are you male or female? (unusual to gain prominent muscles in that area for females - our hormonal makeup doesn't normally allow for that) Or are you talking about gaining weight in that area when you are gaining fat? Generally, if you loose the fat, you may have more defined shoulder and upper body muscles, but I very much doubt you will end up looking like a boxer. Even most trained top level female swimmers just end up looking like sleek trained top level swimmers.
Reply With Quote
  #248  
Old 05.08.2013, 16:16
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: zurich
Posts: 26
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 13 Times in 3 Posts
Warcraft has no particular reputation at present
Re: I simpy can't lose weight ? :-S any advice ??

Quote:
View Post
Are you male or female? (unusual to gain prominent muscles in that area for females - our hormonal makeup doesn't normally allow for that) Or are you talking about gaining weight in that area when you are gaining fat? Generally, if you loose the fat, you may have more defined shoulder and upper body muscles, but I very much doubt you will end up looking like a boxer. Even most trained top level female swimmers just end up looking like sleek trained top level swimmers.
Female It runs in the family actually - broad shoulders, my... ehm.. bum is looking quite nice only now - when I gained weight, it is not flat anymore, and normally it is. Just a type of constitution - I rarely pay attention to gaining weight until it is too late and fat spreads out lower I mean I just don't notice it - it begins on the back, doesn't bother me and i don't have a habit to weigh myself every hour - or even week Now I am a bit bothered, of course
Reply With Quote
  #249  
Old 05.08.2013, 16:30
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: zurich
Posts: 26
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 13 Times in 3 Posts
Warcraft has no particular reputation at present
Re: I simpy can't lose weight ? :-S any advice ??

Quote:
View Post
Sorry, haven't logged on in a while so I didn't see this till now.

First of all, you need to define what exactly you are doing by weight lifting. If you are gaining weight in your shoulders and back, then you are probably not doing the barbell squat. And if you are squatting, you are probably not squatting to full depth and with heavy weights. Most likely, you are doing things like the bench press, a variety of dumbbell presses, maybe some rowing movements, chins and dips, and probably a bunch of machine work.

There is simply no exercise better for overall strength, coordination, muscular development, balance, and mental focus than the heavy barbell squat. It is a full body exercise that simulates the most important movement in athletics - hip extension. The muscles of the trunk (your "six-pack" and the muscles of your upper and lower back) isometrically keep the trunk rigid as the hip extensors move through a huge range of motion concentrically and eccentrically.

Because it is such a huge stressor to your body, as a system - your body responds as a system, and heavy squats stimulate a hormonal response that affects the entire body. So if you are properly performing heavy squats, then your entire body will grow muscular. Also, because the damage done to your body is systemic from heavy squats, the body's recovery facilities go into overdrive and you end up burning fat, a huge amount of fat, just by this process - you are sleeping and burning fat at the same time.

The squat is the king, and the deadlift is the queen. So in all likelihood you are probably not deadlifting either. But properly performed heavy deadlifts stimulate the same type of whole-body response, though not to the degree the squat does due to the lower range of motion.

What makes both of these exercises so valuable is that the stress they induce can be increased incrementally, by adding more weight on the bar. This is a huge advantage over bodyweight exercises.

So, if I had to guess, you are not squatting with a full range of motion and with heavy weights. And you are probably not deadlifting with heavy weights. Without your statistics (height, weight, max squat, max bench, max dead) it's tough to say much more. But if you get under the bar and squat to full depth, doing a weight you can only do sets of 5 with, then more than likely your reverse triangle problem will go away.
Ok, let's say that now I don't do any weight lifting - but I used to. I had squat, I tried powerlifting, but I need to be really careful with exercises I do - when I don't do the right ones my trapezoidals grow like a dough and my neck (and I can't boast with it's length in normal state) looks shorter.

I actually did weight lifting to improve my back muscles - have a problem in this area, but ended up looking strange Really, in a couple of months I gave up Now I am just plumpy (unfortunately) and to be honest with you I just don't do enough about it at all. Yeah, I am eating the right food (mostly) and swim and hula hoop, but nothing hardcore (maybe a km of swimming and like an hour hooping during the day). 2 extra kilos got stuck all over me

Seriously If i had choice now I'd concentrate on waist/legs muscles, and wouldn't do anything for the back - due to swimming that keeps it in normal state.
Reply With Quote
  #250  
Old 05.08.2013, 17:51
Motorschweitz's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bassersdorf
Posts: 408
Groaned at 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 755 Times in 267 Posts
Motorschweitz has a reputation beyond reputeMotorschweitz has a reputation beyond reputeMotorschweitz has a reputation beyond reputeMotorschweitz has a reputation beyond reputeMotorschweitz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: I simpy can't lose weight ? :-S any advice ??

Quote:
View Post
Ok, let's say that now I don't do any weight lifting - but I used to. I had squat, I tried powerlifting, but I need to be really careful with exercises I do - when I don't do the right ones my trapezoidals grow like a dough and my neck (and I can't boast with it's length in normal state) looks shorter.

I actually did weight lifting to improve my back muscles - have a problem in this area, but ended up looking strange Really, in a couple of months I gave up Now I am just plumpy (unfortunately) and to be honest with you I just don't do enough about it at all. Yeah, I am eating the right food (mostly) and swim and hula hoop, but nothing hardcore (maybe a km of swimming and like an hour hooping during the day). 2 extra kilos got stuck all over me

Seriously If i had choice now I'd concentrate on waist/legs muscles, and wouldn't do anything for the back - due to swimming that keeps it in normal state.
Just squat. It's good for you - get back into powerlifting. You probably did stuff for your upper back, while the squat is great for your lower back, your abdomen in general, and of course your butt and thighs.

If you're concerned about fat, then maybe your diet just needs to be cleaned up.
Reply With Quote
  #251  
Old 06.08.2013, 08:44
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: zurich
Posts: 26
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 13 Times in 3 Posts
Warcraft has no particular reputation at present
Re: I simpy can't lose weight ? :-S any advice ??

Quote:
View Post
Just squat. It's good for you - get back into powerlifting. You probably did stuff for your upper back, while the squat is great for your lower back, your abdomen in general, and of course your butt and thighs.

If you're concerned about fat, then maybe your diet just needs to be cleaned up.
Thank you for the tips :-)

Diet should be definitely cleaned up as I don't have any diet - eat mostly everything apart from too fat food (and sweet, as I don't like sweets), and I eat little but often. That's my "diet"

Squat I will do, but for powerlifting I need to think over where to get weights - for now can only provide myself with bottles of water
Reply With Quote
  #252  
Old 13.10.2013, 07:52
flow23's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Zürich
Posts: 3,031
Groaned at 91 Times in 69 Posts
Thanked 1,777 Times in 963 Posts
flow23 has a reputation beyond reputeflow23 has a reputation beyond reputeflow23 has a reputation beyond reputeflow23 has a reputation beyond reputeflow23 has a reputation beyond reputeflow23 has a reputation beyond repute
I simpy can't lose weight ? :-S any advice ??

i havent read through here but change your diet! until 35 i could eat what i wanted, i just swam and ran it off. its not working anymore! i checked my digesting type with metabolism, received a diet plan and try to arrange my consumption around that list i got. i started it 1 week ago. cant really say my progress. on top of that i try to reduce sugar to the max! and besides football 1 time per week and swimming 4 timre per week i joined bootcamp and go there 3 times per week with the aim to loose 6kg in 6 months. 10 would be ideal and keeping it is the long term goal. i suffer my pizzas, i tell you!
Reply With Quote
  #253  
Old 13.10.2013, 10:53
Confloozed's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 4,807
Groaned at 104 Times in 91 Posts
Thanked 4,964 Times in 2,359 Posts
Confloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond repute
Re: I simpy can't lose weight ? :-S any advice ??

Quote:
View Post
i havent read through here but change your diet! until 35 i could eat what i wanted, i just swam and ran it off. its not working anymore! i checked my digesting type with metabolism, received a diet plan and try to arrange my consumption around that list i got. i started it 1 week ago. cant really say my progress. on top of that i try to reduce sugar to the max! and besides football 1 time per week and swimming 4 timre per week i joined bootcamp and go there 3 times per week with the aim to loose 6kg in 6 months. 10 would be ideal and keeping it is the long term goal. i suffer my pizzas, i tell you!
Since April I have lost about 22 kilos, and still going. Diet change, consuming less wine, and more activities is what did it for me. I see some posts about doing weight training, but, that is only going to add weight, as muscles are heavier then fat, and push the fat out.

Most fat should be burned before lifting weights in my opinion. But cardio alongside with better eating habits is keeping me from going from big to lean and flabby.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Confloozed for this useful post:
  #254  
Old 13.10.2013, 11:11
Nil's Avatar
Nil Nil is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Basel
Posts: 10,400
Groaned at 434 Times in 338 Posts
Thanked 16,045 Times in 6,322 Posts
Nil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond repute
Re: I simpy can't lose weight ? :-S any advice ??

I never did a diet of my life and I am right at the start of one right now. My Endo made me a diet of 1200 cal a day with no sugar of any form, etc

This morning, I had 1 slice of whole grain bread of 20gr. And 20 gr. of chicken slices (2)

I am starving and keep looking at the clock for the time I'll be allowed to eat a fruit.

Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Nil for this useful post:
  #255  
Old 13.10.2013, 11:17
Confloozed's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 4,807
Groaned at 104 Times in 91 Posts
Thanked 4,964 Times in 2,359 Posts
Confloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond repute
Re: I simpy can't lose weight ? :-S any advice ??

Quote:
View Post
I never did a diet of my life and I am right at the start of one right now. My Endo made me a diet of 1200 cal a day with no sugar of any form, etc

This morning, I had 1 slice of whole grain bread of 20gr. And 20 gr. of chicken slices (2)

I am starving and keep looking at the clock for the time I'll be allowed to eat a fruit.

One way in the beginning, to keep your stomach full, but should only be used in three week intervals are Fucus/Kelp pills, that you can get at any local pharmacy for 6 euros in France, for example. They are natural metabolizers, and also balloon up in your stomach like a small sponge.

You are only starving because your stomach is too big. That will go away after a week or two. Stay motivated, but remember it's better to think this is going to take a long time, then getting instant results.

So when they do happen they will be more of good news, then "why isn't this happening faster"?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Confloozed for this useful post:
  #256  
Old 13.10.2013, 11:17
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Zurich
Posts: 4,668
Groaned at 159 Times in 102 Posts
Thanked 7,803 Times in 2,654 Posts
Kittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond repute
Re: I simpy can't lose weight ? :-S any advice ??

Is this because of the pre-diabetes? 1200 is very low and bound to set you up for cracking and 'cheating'. I would go for a low-carb model instead, from what I've read, that should help.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Kittster for this useful post:
  #257  
Old 13.10.2013, 11:20
Confloozed's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 4,807
Groaned at 104 Times in 91 Posts
Thanked 4,964 Times in 2,359 Posts
Confloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond repute
Re: I simpy can't lose weight ? :-S any advice ??

Quote:
View Post
Is this because of the pre-diabetes? 1200 is very low and bound to set you up for cracking and 'cheating'. I would go for a low-carb model instead, from what I've read, that should help.
Unless of course she eats a lot of good things for her, like raw carrots, apples, and cooking broccoli. That will fill her up, give her nutrients, and also keep her calorie count down.

Give an example of a low carb model-
Reply With Quote
  #258  
Old 13.10.2013, 11:45
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Zurich
Posts: 4,668
Groaned at 159 Times in 102 Posts
Thanked 7,803 Times in 2,654 Posts
Kittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond repute
Re: I simpy can't lose weight ? :-S any advice ??

Nil is not trying to lose weight, it's because of having diabetic symptoms, therefore keeping insulin stable is key, so being really careful with carbs is key. That's why I would not eat bread at all in that situation. Low carb in the diabetic context is discussed here, if I had to choose an example for what I think would work best is to try the Whole 30 programme. As long as your body uses carbs for fuel, you will be hungry if you don't constantly load up on them...
Reply With Quote
  #259  
Old 13.10.2013, 11:58
Nil's Avatar
Nil Nil is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Basel
Posts: 10,400
Groaned at 434 Times in 338 Posts
Thanked 16,045 Times in 6,322 Posts
Nil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond repute
Re: I simpy can't lose weight ? :-S any advice ??

Quote:
View Post
Is this because of the pre-diabetes? 1200 is very low and bound to set you up for cracking and 'cheating'. I would go for a low-carb model instead, from what I've read, that should help.
Yes and my thyroid is going up and down. I reduce the meds a bit and she gave me a model of things to to avoid anything transforming into sugar.

Quote:
View Post
Unless of course she eats a lot of good things for her, like raw carrots, apples, and cooking broccoli. That will fill her up, give her nutrients, and also keep her calorie count down.

Give an example of a low carb model-
I will prepare a bunch of cutter veggies in a topper ware (carrots, celery, coli flower and broccoli)

The only problem is I feel bored to eat them plain without a dip....

Quote:
View Post
Nil is not trying to lose weight, it's because of having diabetic symptoms, therefore keeping insulin stable is key, so being really careful with carbs is key. That's why I would not eat bread at all in that situation. Low carb in the diabetic context is discussed here, if I had to choose an example for what I think would work best is to try the Whole 30 programme. As long as your body uses carbs for fuel, you will be hungry if you don't constantly load up on them...
I'll look into it.
Reply With Quote
  #260  
Old 13.10.2013, 12:06
Confloozed's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 4,807
Groaned at 104 Times in 91 Posts
Thanked 4,964 Times in 2,359 Posts
Confloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond repute
Re: I simpy can't lose weight ? :-S any advice ??

Quote:
View Post
Nil is not trying to lose weight, it's because of having diabetic symptoms, therefore keeping insulin stable is key, so being really careful with carbs is key. That's why I would not eat bread at all in that situation. Low carb in the diabetic context is discussed here, if I had to choose an example for what I think would work best is to try the Whole 30 programme. As long as your body uses carbs for fuel, you will be hungry if you don't constantly load up on them...
Well excuse me for reading the info as she presented it. Do you talk to her in pm before about whether she was just trying to lose weight, or in relation to a program involving diabetes?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Confloozed for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Methinks Obama should lose weight... Upthehatters2008 International affairs/politics 8 25.05.2011 10:37
Negative Calories to help lose weight thecapaccino Family matters/health 33 25.11.2010 19:19
Lose weight (Basel) Dodi22 Sports / Fitness / Beauty / Wellness 24 05.08.2009 14:31


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 21:03.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0