Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Activities > Sports / Fitness / Beauty / Wellness  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41  
Old 14.12.2015, 12:06
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Anyone use a Fitbit or similar modern activity tracker?

The features are cool. Looks pretty geeky though. I wonder how it compares to other running trackers in features, reliability and aesthetics.

Do you think this would be useful for training for the Zuerich marathon?
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 14.12.2015, 12:17
Castro's Avatar
ŕ la mod
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Basel-Land of Smiles
Posts: 5,328
Groaned at 106 Times in 84 Posts
Thanked 15,703 Times in 5,028 Posts
Castro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Anyone use a Fitbit or similar modern activity tracker?

Quote:
View Post
The features are cool. Looks pretty geeky though. I wonder how it compares to other running trackers in features, reliability and aesthetics.

Do you think this would be useful for training for the Zuerich marathon?
I would have bought a Surge but I like my regular watches too much to replace it with a sporty Fitbit one. The Charge is a lot more discreet and can be worn on the opposite wrist so you don't look that geeky, but of course it hasn't got half the features of the Surge.

Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Castro for this useful post:
  #43  
Old 14.12.2015, 18:23
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: USA, former Zurich
Posts: 2,049
Groaned at 14 Times in 14 Posts
Thanked 4,811 Times in 1,660 Posts
BokerTov has a reputation beyond reputeBokerTov has a reputation beyond reputeBokerTov has a reputation beyond reputeBokerTov has a reputation beyond reputeBokerTov has a reputation beyond reputeBokerTov has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Anyone use a Fitbit or similar modern activity tracker?

I just got one for Christmas from my fiance. I am not even sure which one it is (didn't pay attention to the packaging) and to be honest, I don't really know what to do with it. It kinda looks like the middle one on Castro's picture. Will definitely be reading this thread and looking up some instructions online.
Meh.

P.S. I was much more excited about the other gifts and the eye-watering Christmas card - can you tell?
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 14.12.2015, 18:30
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Anyone use a Fitbit or similar modern activity tracker?

Quote:
View Post
I just got one for Christmas from my fiance.
That is an early Christmas present, or you haven't used it for 11 months?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #45  
Old 14.12.2015, 18:39
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: USA, former Zurich
Posts: 2,049
Groaned at 14 Times in 14 Posts
Thanked 4,811 Times in 1,660 Posts
BokerTov has a reputation beyond reputeBokerTov has a reputation beyond reputeBokerTov has a reputation beyond reputeBokerTov has a reputation beyond reputeBokerTov has a reputation beyond reputeBokerTov has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Anyone use a Fitbit or similar modern activity tracker?

Quote:
View Post
That is an early Christmas present, or you haven't used it for 11 months?
Haha - early Christmas present! We are not spending Christmas day together at our house due to various family commitments (but are meeting up right after Christmas) so we exchanged presents early.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 21.12.2015, 22:22
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Anyone use a Fitbit or similar modern activity tracker?

Is there a tracker that is useful for preventative medicine?

Thinking of buying a fitness tracker for an elderly gentleman. I saw one brand that tracks blood pressure along with other things. Blood pressure seems a useful thing to track for older people. Anyone have any experience with anything comparable? Is it reliable?

How is a heart rate tracker useful for preventative medicine? Is a Fitbit HR useful for the elderly?
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 07.01.2016, 22:17
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Anyone use a Fitbit or similar modern activity tracker?

For Christmas, I bought everybody a Fitbit all around, along with an Aria scale. It made shopping easier, but I ran around looking for the right size and colors. I bought mostly Charge HRs, and a few Surge HRs.

Its a great health consciousness tool, but half of the features have been let downs. The two features I find useful is the sleep tracking, and the weight tracking with the Aria scale. The other features are mostly bogus.

The Heart Rate monitor is a disaster. In fact, it can kill you. Fitbit will state I have 86 BPM, while my more reliable polar properly reports 150 BPM. If you use the fitbit for this reason, don't! I wonder when they will be hit with a lawsuit for this, hopefully will not cause any heart attacks.

The steps counter was kind of fun, until it started reporting bogus things. I went clubbing, and it told me I hit over 20,000 steps, although I was only tapping my feet.

The cloud storage is cool for tracking weight, BMI and body fat percentage; and sleep. That's about it. The heart rate tracking shows daily histograms of useless data.

Anyway, I'm not totally disappointed, as everybody is in health conciousness mode, which is what I wanted to give for Christmas. But the product has a way to go. Good concept, and not a bad start. Maybe by next year, some more reliable products come out with cooler styling.

-2 cents
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 07.01.2016, 22:30
JoeUK's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Au
Posts: 631
Groaned at 30 Times in 26 Posts
Thanked 821 Times in 443 Posts
JoeUK has an excellent reputationJoeUK has an excellent reputationJoeUK has an excellent reputationJoeUK has an excellent reputation
Re: Anyone use a Fitbit or similar modern activity tracker?

Quote:
View Post

The Heart Rate monitor is a disaster. In fact, it can kill you. Fitbit will state I have 86 BPM, while my more reliable polar properly reports 150 BPM. If you use the fitbit for this reason, don't! I wonder when they will be hit with a lawsuit for this, hopefully will not cause any heart attacks.


-2 cents
Wonder no more... http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...s-tracker.html
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank JoeUK for this useful post:
  #49  
Old 07.01.2016, 22:32
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 12,467
Groaned at 957 Times in 675 Posts
Thanked 17,346 Times in 6,808 Posts
Chuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Anyone use a Fitbit or similar modern activity tracker?

Quote:
View Post
For Christmas, I bought everybody a Fitbit all around, along with an Aria scale. It made shopping easier, but I ran around looking for the right size and colors. I bought mostly Charge HRs, and a few Surge HRs.

Its a great health consciousness tool, but half of the features have been let downs. The two features I find useful is the sleep tracking, and the weight tracking with the Aria scale. The other features are mostly bogus.

The Heart Rate monitor is a disaster. In fact, it can kill you. Fitbit will state I have 86 BPM, while my more reliable polar properly reports 150 BPM. If you use the fitbit for this reason, don't! I wonder when they will be hit with a lawsuit for this, hopefully will not cause any heart attacks.

The steps counter was kind of fun, until it started reporting bogus things. I went clubbing, and it told me I hit over 20,000 steps, although I was only tapping my feet.

The cloud storage is cool for tracking weight, BMI and body fat percentage; and sleep. That's about it. The heart rate tracking shows daily histograms of useless data.

Anyway, I'm not totally disappointed, as everybody is in health conciousness mode, which is what I wanted to give for Christmas. But the product has a way to go. Good concept, and not a bad start. Maybe by next year, some more reliable products come out with cooler styling.

-2 cents
150bpm... doing what?

My Fitbit has stopped tracking my sleep, tried a restart and a factory reset and no joy. Need to take it in for replacement.

My HR monitor is very accurate though, and I have tested it against a WHO-approved heart/blood pressure monitor. It's within a couple of %. My Withings blood pressure monitor is also proving very accurate, I really like it.

Last edited by Chuff; 07.01.2016 at 22:42.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 07.01.2016, 22:46
Mélusine's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Lutry
Posts: 3,840
Groaned at 31 Times in 26 Posts
Thanked 5,358 Times in 2,175 Posts
Mélusine has a reputation beyond reputeMélusine has a reputation beyond reputeMélusine has a reputation beyond reputeMélusine has a reputation beyond reputeMélusine has a reputation beyond reputeMélusine has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Anyone use a Fitbit or similar modern activity tracker?

Quote:
View Post
For Christmas, I bought everybody a Fitbit all around, along with an Aria scale. It made shopping easier, but I ran around looking for the right size and colors. I bought mostly Charge HRs, and a few Surge HRs.

Its a great health consciousness tool, but half of the features have been let downs. The two features I find useful is the sleep tracking, and the weight tracking with the Aria scale. The other features are mostly bogus.

The Heart Rate monitor is a disaster. In fact, it can kill you. Fitbit will state I have 86 BPM, while my more reliable polar properly reports 150 BPM. If you use the fitbit for this reason, don't! I wonder when they will be hit with a lawsuit for this, hopefully will not cause any heart attacks.

The steps counter was kind of fun, until it started reporting bogus things. I went clubbing, and it told me I hit over 20,000 steps, although I was only tapping my feet.

The cloud storage is cool for tracking weight, BMI and body fat percentage; and sleep. That's about it. The heart rate tracking shows daily histograms of useless data.

Anyway, I'm not totally disappointed, as everybody is in health conciousness mode, which is what I wanted to give for Christmas. But the product has a way to go. Good concept, and not a bad start. Maybe by next year, some more reliable products come out with cooler styling.

-2 cents
I used the Fitbit one for about 2 years, and gave it up during my last pregnancy.

I offered myself the charge HR for Christmas, and so far I'm quite happy with it. I don't use it to track sleep though, as I find the bracelet too uncomfortable to sleep with.

The iPhone app is ok, but not wonderful. I used a Jawbone Up for a few month, and I liked their app better. I actually liked their silly motivational comments silly old me, but when an automated app encourages me to try to go beyond my track record, I feel more motivated
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 07.01.2016, 23:25
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Anyone use a Fitbit or similar modern activity tracker?

Quote:
View Post
150bpm... doing what?
Sprints during interval training.

The GPS in Surge HR is pretty cool though, if you are a long distance runner. It will map route taken, and how long each kilometre took.


Quote:
View Post
My HR monitor is very accurate though, and I have tested it against a WHO-approved heart/blood pressure monitor. It's within a couple of %. My Withings blood pressure monitor is also proving very accurate, I really like it.
On the Fitbit? I checked every Fitbit I had access to, crosschecked against my Polar, and none were even close to heart rate reported by Polar.


Quote:
View Post
I offered myself the charge HR for Christmas, and so far I'm quite happy with it. I don't use it to track sleep though, as I find the bracelet too uncomfortable to sleep with.
What part of it do you find useful? In the whole scheme of things, getting everyone health conscious was well worth it.
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 08.01.2016, 08:29
Mélusine's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Lutry
Posts: 3,840
Groaned at 31 Times in 26 Posts
Thanked 5,358 Times in 2,175 Posts
Mélusine has a reputation beyond reputeMélusine has a reputation beyond reputeMélusine has a reputation beyond reputeMélusine has a reputation beyond reputeMélusine has a reputation beyond reputeMélusine has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Anyone use a Fitbit or similar modern activity tracker?

Quote:
View Post
What part of it do you find useful? In the whole scheme of things, getting everyone health conscious was well worth it.
I use MyFitnessPal to track my calories intake, and I really appreciate that it syncs with the Fitbit app. This way I can keep a clear and detailed eye on the amount of calories I still have for the day depending on how much I moved.

I have goals of 10K steps and 10 floors per day, and seeing the numbers climbing up on my Fitbit is a real booster.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Mélusine for this useful post:
  #53  
Old 08.01.2016, 08:54
dodgyken's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Democratic Republic Kenistan
Posts: 10,690
Groaned at 282 Times in 233 Posts
Thanked 19,403 Times in 7,402 Posts
dodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Anyone use a Fitbit or similar modern activity tracker?

Knowing your heart rate is very good for people fairly new to exercising, those who aren't good at reading their own bodies and those who have medical instructions not to exercise above a certain level - for example a friend who had heart surgery (defective valve).

My range can be as much as 140bpm - from between 45-55 resting to over 185 when exercising at peak performance. I am sure there are a number of other forumites with similar ranges.

It is well worth checking out the Wikipedia page for the various calculations on where to exercise in the HR range.

Generally - if your resting is towards 40 and you aren't an athlete - see a doctor. If your resting is above 80 - see a doctor.
__________________
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet" Abraham Lincoln
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 08.01.2016, 08:58
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 12,467
Groaned at 957 Times in 675 Posts
Thanked 17,346 Times in 6,808 Posts
Chuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Anyone use a Fitbit or similar modern activity tracker?

Quote:
View Post
Knowing your heart rate is very good for people fairly new to exercising, those who aren't good at reading their own bodies and those who have medical instructions not to exercise above a certain level - for example a friend who had heart surgery (defective valve).

My range can be as much as 140bpm - from between 45-55 resting to over 185 when exercising at peak performance. I am sure there are a number of other forumites with similar ranges.

It is well worth checking out the Wikipedia page for the various calculations on where to exercise in the HR range.

Generally - if your resting is towards 40 and you aren't an athlete - see a doctor. If your resting is above 80 - see a doctor.
Mine is around 58-60 when resting, so seems average.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 08.01.2016, 08:58
TiMow's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Fribourg
Posts: 9,302
Groaned at 237 Times in 154 Posts
Thanked 12,188 Times in 5,300 Posts
TiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Anyone use a Fitbit or similar modern activity tracker?

Quote:
View Post
I use MyFitnessPal to track my calories intake, and I really appreciate that it syncs with the Fitbit app. This way I can keep a clear and detailed eye on the amount of calories I still have for the day depending on how much I moved.

I have goals of 10K steps and 10 floors per day, and seeing the numbers climbing up on my Fitbit is a real booster.
I used to try to input my daily food intake on the Fitbit app. on my phone, but found it a real hassle remembering after every meal or at the end of the day, and often had to catch up, a few days at a time, trying to remember what I had eaten for lunch two days previously.

The other problem was that, as my phone is set to UK for region (so I can access certain apps. not available here), the food and meal suggestions always related to UK store products and restaurants, when it came to calorific values, and it wasn't always possible to find an equivalent to what I had eaten. OK, I can manually enter a food type, but then I have to try to determine how many calories it provides.

Nah ...... it all became too much hassle.

However, keeping a record of water intake during long, hot summer days was beneficial.

Another thing is that I sometimes question the accuracy of it's step recording.
I normally have the phone in my pocket, so it should detect my steps without problems, but apart from if I'm sick or having a vegging out Sunday, it always shows that, every day, I take between 10 and 15K steps - which on somedays, seems surprising.

..... and I believe the equating of steps to distance (km) isn't wholly accurate, either (it doesn't take into account small dolly steps that most of us take when we're indoors) - apart from when I track my walking, which uses gps mapping, which should provide accurate distance measuring (although that too, can throw up small differences for the same walk on different days).
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 08.01.2016, 09:14
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 12,467
Groaned at 957 Times in 675 Posts
Thanked 17,346 Times in 6,808 Posts
Chuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Anyone use a Fitbit or similar modern activity tracker?

Quote:
View Post
Another thing is that I sometimes question the accuracy of it's step recording.
I normally have the phone in my pocket, so it should detect my steps without problems, but apart from if I'm sick or having a vegging out Sunday, it always shows that, every day, I take between 10 and 15K steps - which on somedays, seems surprising.

..... and I believe the equating of steps to distance (km) isn't wholly accurate, either (it doesn't take into account small dolly steps that most of us take when we're indoors) - apart from when I track my walking, which uses gps mapping, which should provide accurate distance measuring (although that too, can throw up small differences for the same walk on different days).
It's just an algorithm. If you are on the PC typing it will count those larger swaying movements as steps sometimes. It's basically a "best endeavours" approach.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Chuff for this useful post:
  #57  
Old 08.01.2016, 12:02
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 10
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Andrius has no particular reputation at present
Re: Anyone use a Fitbit or similar modern activity tracker?

If you are looking for sleep tracker, Jawbone UP3 is better choose:
http://www.wareable.com/jawbone/jawbone-up3-review
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 08.01.2016, 12:04
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 12,467
Groaned at 957 Times in 675 Posts
Thanked 17,346 Times in 6,808 Posts
Chuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Anyone use a Fitbit or similar modern activity tracker?

Quote:
View Post
If you are looking for sleep tracker, Jawbone UP3 is better choose:
http://www.wareable.com/jawbone/jawbone-up3-review
What is better about it? It gets a very average rating and the comments complain about the strap and clasp.

Last edited by Chuff; 08.01.2016 at 12:23.
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 08.01.2016, 12:21
Phil_MCR's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 13,844
Groaned at 271 Times in 177 Posts
Thanked 16,959 Times in 7,178 Posts
Phil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Anyone use a Fitbit or similar modern activity tracker?

Quote:
View Post
Knowing your heart rate is very good for people fairly new to exercising, those who aren't good at reading their own bodies and those who have medical instructions not to exercise above a certain level - for example a friend who had heart surgery (defective valve).

My range can be as much as 140bpm - from between 45-55 resting to over 185 when exercising at peak performance. I am sure there are a number of other forumites with similar ranges.

It is well worth checking out the Wikipedia page for the various calculations on where to exercise in the HR range.

Generally - if your resting is towards 40 and you aren't an athlete - see a doctor. If your resting is above 80 - see a doctor.
argh. why did you get me to measure this?

now i ended up looking at online medical sites

http://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/t...-rate-overview

pretty soon i will be diagnosed with heart cancer

i also found my HR to be lower than expected. ok well lower than when i measured it as a kid during science class. back then it was 72 bpm. today it is 50bpm.

i guess this means that i'm slowly turning into a zombie and assuming this is happening linearly, i will become a zombie in around 50 years time.
__________________
By replying to this post, you hereby grant Phil_MCR a royalty-free license to use, in any way, anything posted by you on the internet. If you do not accept, stop using EF and delete your account.
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 08.01.2016, 12:30
Castro's Avatar
ŕ la mod
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Basel-Land of Smiles
Posts: 5,328
Groaned at 106 Times in 84 Posts
Thanked 15,703 Times in 5,028 Posts
Castro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Anyone use a Fitbit or similar modern activity tracker?

I upgraded to a fitbit HR about a month ago and have been keeping an eye on my resting heart rate. It seems about 10 bpm faster since coming back to work than this time last week when I was still on vacation.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Castro for this useful post:
Reply

Tags
activity, fitbit, running, sex, sports




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone use Kimitower in Baar or Work&Life Zug? annahita.dlm Family matters/health 1 06.04.2012 14:15
Can anyone advise of major furniture stores in DE or FR, similar to John Lewis Mac the Knife General off-topic 0 01.07.2011 11:41


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:25.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0