Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Activities > Sports / Fitness / Beauty / Wellness  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #201  
Old 11.02.2021, 14:26
cremebrulee's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 437
Groaned at 14 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 389 Times in 170 Posts
cremebrulee has an excellent reputationcremebrulee has an excellent reputationcremebrulee has an excellent reputationcremebrulee has an excellent reputation
Re: Ski Season 2020/2021 - predictions

What are people's thoughts on the upcoming ski holidays this month (Sportferien)?

Like most families with kids, we booked our ski holidays a year in advance. In fact, we have been going to the same place every February for 10 years and we book for the following year on check out. So the booking for this year was made pre-Covid.

I've been curious as to whether the ski fields would remain open and it looks like it will go ahead! Except, I don't feel particularly comfortable about going this time.

The ski fields during Sportferien are always crowded and I think this year will be no different. I called the hotel and we are unable to cancel (without paying a huge penalty) because, well, the ski fields remain open and skiing is effectively allowed (albeit not highly recommended).

What is everyone else doing for the ski holidays?
Reply With Quote
  #202  
Old 11.02.2021, 14:32
TonyClifton's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Hopefully soon to be Aargau
Posts: 2,009
Groaned at 841 Times in 474 Posts
Thanked 4,797 Times in 2,104 Posts
TonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ski Season 2020/2021 - predictions

Quote:
View Post
What are people's thoughts on the upcoming ski holidays this month (Sportferien)?

Like most families with kids, we booked our ski holidays a year in advance. In fact, we have been going to the same place every February for 10 years and we book for the following year on check out. So the booking for this year was made pre-Covid.

I've been curious as to whether the ski fields would remain open and it looks like it will go ahead! Except, I don't feel particularly comfortable about going this time.

The ski fields during Sportferien are always crowded and I think this year will be no different. I called the hotel and we are unable to cancel (without paying a huge penalty) because, well, the ski fields remain open and skiing is effectively allowed (albeit not highly recommended).

What is everyone else doing for the ski holidays?
We also normally book a year up front as it's the only way of guaranteeing decent accomodation. This year we were supposed to be going to France, but they're not opening for the resorts for the entire season

We were able get a decent last minute place in Switzerland, which appears have been a cancellation from abroad I'm going to go and enjoy it and not have a care in the world about Covid!!
Reply With Quote
This user groans at TonyClifton for this post:
  #203  
Old 11.02.2021, 17:07
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Up there over the fog
Posts: 3,701
Groaned at 431 Times in 322 Posts
Thanked 3,754 Times in 1,955 Posts
JackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ski Season 2020/2021 - predictions

We have been able to pospone our booked ski hols by 3 days, to avoid the crowds for the NE long week-end and will only ski Tuesday-Friday, and see what it is like at the week-end. If too busy, we will go snow shoewing- if conditions great and not to busy, we will ski half day for 3 days. Owners happy as they can use the studio from Friday to Monday and to the change over with us.

For mid March and OH's even bigger BD- we will look for last minute offers if conditions are great- otherwise go to Spa- or perhaps combine both- loads of timeshare swap offers as foreign owners can't come.
Reply With Quote
  #204  
Old 11.02.2021, 17:16
Sean Connery's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 5,565
Groaned at 58 Times in 54 Posts
Thanked 7,554 Times in 3,388 Posts
Sean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ski Season 2020/2021 - predictions

This looks like being the best Sportferien ever for skiing (in Austria). That is unless they are forced to close the ski areas.

There are no hotels open. No tourists. Shops just opened up this week.

Downside is restaurant food is takeaway or delivery. But that works out OK.
Reply With Quote
  #205  
Old 11.02.2021, 17:28
TonyClifton's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Hopefully soon to be Aargau
Posts: 2,009
Groaned at 841 Times in 474 Posts
Thanked 4,797 Times in 2,104 Posts
TonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ski Season 2020/2021 - predictions

Quote:
View Post
This looks like being the best Sportferien ever for skiing (in Austria). That is unless they are forced to close the ski areas.

There are no hotels open. No tourists. Shops just opened up this week.

Downside is restaurant food is takeaway or delivery. But that works out OK.
Foreigners still aren't allowed to go skiing in Austria

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-55888856
https://www.austria.info/en/service-...inter-holidays
Reply With Quote
  #206  
Old 11.02.2021, 17:38
Sean Connery's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 5,565
Groaned at 58 Times in 54 Posts
Thanked 7,554 Times in 3,388 Posts
Sean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ski Season 2020/2021 - predictions

slightly inaccurate. It is however very inconvenient for foreigners to do anything and the ski areas are not fully open, even though the snow is pretty awesome.

they are discouraging Austrian residents outside Tirol from visiting Tirol. I believe you need a clear COVID test to leave Land Tirol starting this week.

I still see cars from outside Tirol as well as Bavarian cars plus a few Swiss.
Reply With Quote
  #207  
Old 11.02.2021, 17:42
kri's Avatar
kri kri is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 2,493
Groaned at 54 Times in 40 Posts
Thanked 2,356 Times in 1,169 Posts
kri has a reputation beyond reputekri has a reputation beyond reputekri has a reputation beyond reputekri has a reputation beyond reputekri has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ski Season 2020/2021 - predictions

Quote:
View Post
What are people's thoughts on the upcoming ski holidays this month (Sportferien)?

Like most families with kids, we booked our ski holidays a year in advance. In fact, we have been going to the same place every February for 10 years and we book for the following year on check out. So the booking for this year was made pre-Covid.

I've been curious as to whether the ski fields would remain open and it looks like it will go ahead! Except, I don't feel particularly comfortable about going this time.

The ski fields during Sportferien are always crowded and I think this year will be no different. I called the hotel and we are unable to cancel (without paying a huge penalty) because, well, the ski fields remain open and skiing is effectively allowed (albeit not highly recommended).

What is everyone else doing for the ski holidays?
We cancelled the accommodation in Austria as unable to go and they were gracious and did not make us pay.
We rebooked to Switzerland. I do not see the resorts as a big danger area. Despite what the press is saying, with skis on and if you avoid gondolas and queuing inside and you are wearing a mask, then the risk is pretty low.
So if the resorts remain open (my understanding is that this will be announced tomorrow?) then we are going.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank kri for this useful post:
  #208  
Old 11.02.2021, 17:49
cremebrulee's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 437
Groaned at 14 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 389 Times in 170 Posts
cremebrulee has an excellent reputationcremebrulee has an excellent reputationcremebrulee has an excellent reputationcremebrulee has an excellent reputation
Re: Ski Season 2020/2021 - predictions

Quote:
View Post
We cancelled the accommodation in Austria as unable to go and they were gracious and did not make us pay.
We rebooked to Switzerland. I do not see the resorts as a big danger area. Despite what the press is saying, with skis on and if you avoid gondolas and queuing inside and you are wearing a mask, then the risk is pretty low.
So if the resorts remain open (my understanding is that this will be announced tomorrow?) then we are going.
Really? They're going to make an announcement regarding skiing on the eve of Sportferien??

Unfortunately, in the places that we ski, there are only gondolas and the queuing areas can get pretty crowded. We will assess once we are there. If too busy, we will do snow-shoeing and build snowmen.
Reply With Quote
  #209  
Old 11.02.2021, 17:53
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Ski Season 2020/2021 - predictions

Quote:
View Post
What are people's thoughts on the upcoming ski holidays this month (Sportferien)?

Like most families with kids, we booked our ski holidays a year in advance. In fact, we have been going to the same place every February for 10 years and we book for the following year on check out. So the booking for this year was made pre-Covid.

I've been curious as to whether the ski fields would remain open and it looks like it will go ahead! Except, I don't feel particularly comfortable about going this time.

The ski fields during Sportferien are always crowded and I think this year will be no different. I called the hotel and we are unable to cancel (without paying a huge penalty) because, well, the ski fields remain open and skiing is effectively allowed (albeit not highly recommended).

What is everyone else doing for the ski holidays?
“Sportferien” has been going on for two weeks already and goes to end February. Every area has its own week or 2. With the absence of most foreign tourists this year the only significant crowding issues I have seen have been on fine weather weekends.

Oh and “ski fields”?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #210  
Old 11.02.2021, 17:56
Belgianmum's Avatar
Roastbeef & Yorkshire mod
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Neuchâtel
Posts: 14,001
Groaned at 268 Times in 227 Posts
Thanked 23,811 Times in 9,715 Posts
Belgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ski Season 2020/2021 - predictions

Quote:
“Sportferien” has been going on for two weeks already and goes to end February. Every area has its own week or 2. With the absence of most foreign tourists this year the only significant crowding issues I have seen have been on fine weather weekends.

Oh and “ski fields”?
It goes on until March 7th here and I don’t think we’re the only canton with holidays until then.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Belgianmum for this useful post:
  #211  
Old 11.02.2021, 18:01
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Ski Season 2020/2021 - predictions

We've been booked up for ages in our large apartments for the two main weeks starting this Saturday, but still have space in one studio. After that we don't yet have any bookings, so if anyone's interested we may be able to do a discount for EF members.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #212  
Old 11.02.2021, 18:05
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Ski Season 2020/2021 - predictions

Quote:
View Post
It goes on until March 7th here and I don’t think we’re the only canton with holidays until then.
Ah but she/he has location Zurich. The German side doesn’t go on that late!
Reply With Quote
  #213  
Old 11.02.2021, 18:09
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 11,434
Groaned at 407 Times in 333 Posts
Thanked 17,503 Times in 8,862 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ski Season 2020/2021 - predictions

Quote:
Oh and “ski fields”?
I took it OP was talking about cross country skiing....?
Reply With Quote
  #214  
Old 11.02.2021, 18:54
TonyClifton's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Hopefully soon to be Aargau
Posts: 2,009
Groaned at 841 Times in 474 Posts
Thanked 4,797 Times in 2,104 Posts
TonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ski Season 2020/2021 - predictions

Quote:
View Post
slightly inaccurate. It is however very inconvenient for foreigners to do anything and the ski areas are not fully open, even though the snow is pretty awesome.

they are discouraging Austrian residents outside Tirol from visiting Tirol. I believe you need a clear COVID test to leave Land Tirol starting this week.

I still see cars from outside Tirol as well as Bavarian cars plus a few Swiss.
How so? They're pretty clear that skiing is only open to locals? OK, granted like many Covid restrictions it's hard to enforce, but highly likely many of those German and Swiss cars shouldn't be there.

I looked into getting an AirBnB in Austria but was told they're not allowed to rent out to foreigners.
Reply With Quote
  #215  
Old 11.02.2021, 19:12
Belgianmum's Avatar
Roastbeef & Yorkshire mod
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Neuchâtel
Posts: 14,001
Groaned at 268 Times in 227 Posts
Thanked 23,811 Times in 9,715 Posts
Belgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ski Season 2020/2021 - predictions

Quote:
Ah but she/he has location Zurich. The German side doesn’t go on that late!
Normally Neuchâtel is the last canton to have winter holidays but my holiday calendar shows several German cantons with their holidays going on until then.
Uri, Schwyz, Grisons and Valais.
Reply With Quote
  #216  
Old 12.02.2021, 00:01
Sean Connery's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 5,565
Groaned at 58 Times in 54 Posts
Thanked 7,554 Times in 3,388 Posts
Sean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ski Season 2020/2021 - predictions

Quote:
View Post
How so? They're pretty clear that skiing is only open to locals? OK, granted like many Covid restrictions it's hard to enforce, but highly likely many of those German and Swiss cars shouldn't be there.

I looked into getting an AirBnB in Austria but was told they're not allowed to rent out to foreigners.
clearly you need a place to live or stay. If you have that, you're good.

what they are looking out for and clamping down on is the lacky foreigners coming to look for work and registering a Nebenwohnsitz. Think ski teachers and the like. I think they put 100 or so into quarantine in St Anton two weeks back.

I'd call it strong discouragement. At this time, nothing is outlawed, no tests are required to go skiing.

I do have an antigen test booked for early next week so I can get a haircut
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Sean Connery for this useful post:
  #217  
Old 12.02.2021, 09:35
bossybaby's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: Western Austria
Posts: 766
Groaned at 8 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 1,336 Times in 581 Posts
bossybaby has a reputation beyond reputebossybaby has a reputation beyond reputebossybaby has a reputation beyond reputebossybaby has a reputation beyond reputebossybaby has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ski Season 2020/2021 - predictions

We have CH, FL, DE, NL, and UK plates in this neighbourhood. They have a legitimate right to be here, but you can't just drive across the border to ski. Most, like us, have been here since before lockdown. Working from home and skiing Avalanche level is at 3; a few inches of powder over ice, -13 at 2000M.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank bossybaby for this useful post:
  #218  
Old 14.02.2021, 12:09
TinyK's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Thalwil
Posts: 1,379
Groaned at 66 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 1,507 Times in 758 Posts
TinyK has a reputation beyond reputeTinyK has a reputation beyond reputeTinyK has a reputation beyond reputeTinyK has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ski Season 2020/2021 - predictions

I have a question about Meiringen. What is the waiting time for the cable car to Hasliberg early in the morning these days? Let's say at 8 8-30 in the morning. Is it worth going there with kids or will we be spending few hours per day just to get to Hasliberg and back?
Reply With Quote
  #219  
Old 15.02.2021, 13:37
Sean Connery's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 5,565
Groaned at 58 Times in 54 Posts
Thanked 7,554 Times in 3,388 Posts
Sean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ski Season 2020/2021 - predictions

The joy of Austria continues. COVID tests are now required in Tirol to go skiing.

But due to how fab the Austrians are, it is really well organised, bookable online and free for those with a registration in Tirol.

I don't know how they are controlling this at present going up onto the slopes. But I think it's a reasonable approach.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Sean Connery for this useful post:
  #220  
Old 15.02.2021, 16:17
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Ski Season 2020/2021 - predictions

Quote:
View Post
We have CH, FL, DE, NL, and UK plates in this neighbourhood. They have a legitimate right to be here, but you can't just drive across the border to ski. Most, like us, have been here since before lockdown. Working from home and skiing Avalanche level is at 3; a few inches of powder over ice, -13 at 2000M.
You must have been in the wrong place. Just over the border here there were 30 to 40cm of finest powder on a good dense powder base.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
covid, ski season, skiing




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Clock change 2021 Island Monkey Daily life 40 21.03.2021 21:19
2021 basic insurance rates.... ennui Insurance 17 23.10.2020 21:28
CDL expired on 12.09.2020 requested for an extension permit stay on 11.09.2020 in GE A jojo Permits/visas/government 6 15.09.2020 13:53
1-room flat, April 1st 2020 to January 31st 2021 adryankc Property offered 0 04.03.2020 14:05
EU Voted To Ban Single-Use Plastics By 2021 marton International affairs/politics 58 05.11.2018 17:25


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 15:33.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0