English Forum Switzerland

English Forum Switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php)
-   Sports / Fitness / Beauty / Wellness (https://www.englishforum.ch/sports-fitness-beauty-wellness/)
-   -   Which treadmill and where to buy? (https://www.englishforum.ch/sports-fitness-beauty-wellness/301408-treadmill-where-buy.html)

naza 25.11.2020 11:05

Which treadmill and where to buy?
 
hello all, I need a new coat hanger :D ... a bit more seriously I am looking for a treadmill. Can anyone recommend any models and/or retailers? Looking at Decathlon and other big stores like Oschner they only seem to have 3-4 models and all seem to be high end

My main requirements

- ideally foldable
- budget ~1000-1500 chf
- don't really need an interactive personal trainer like NordicTrack's iFIT (I will just use Zwift and a cadence tracker)... if it has Zwift compatibility even better

thanks
naza

FCBarca 25.11.2020 11:07

Re: Which treadmill and where to buy?
 
Sport-tiedje but be aware they can list things as 'In Stock' but in reality it is simply in stock someplace and your delivery delay can be many weeks, just a caveat. Their prices are competitive and they have a great number of models & fitness machines

Axa 25.11.2020 11:16

Re: Which treadmill and where to buy?
 
Your coat hanger joke is a great track on your search :D Yes, other people may have bought out of impulse and wishful thinking and they now want to get rid of one......I'd start with ricardo.ch, tutti.ch, petitesannonces.ch and others.

greenmount 25.11.2020 11:43

Re: Which treadmill and where to buy?
 
We have a Horizon Fitness - Paragon 7. It is a great thing but it occupies almost half of a bedroom. (guest room/office)

And no, we're not selling it. :)

janvier 25.11.2020 11:48

Re: Which treadmill and where to buy?
 
1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by naza (Post 3242689)
hello all, I need a new coat hanger :D ... a bit more seriously I am looking for a treadmill. Can anyone recommend any models and/or retailers? Looking at Decathlon and other big stores like Oschner they only seem to have 3-4 models and all seem to be high end

My main requirements

- ideally foldable
- budget ~1000-1500 chf
- don't really need an interactive personal trainer like NordicTrack's iFIT (I will just use Zwift and a cadence tracker)... if it has Zwift compatibility even better

thanks
naza

Yes here is one!
Attachment 140766

eairicbloodaxe 25.11.2020 22:29

Re: Which treadmill and where to buy?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by FCBarca (Post 3242690)
Sport-tiedje but be aware they can list things as 'In Stock' but in reality it is simply in stock someplace and your delivery delay can be many weeks, just a caveat. Their prices are competitive and they have a great number of models & fitness machines


I bought mine from there. It took 3 weeks from date of order to arrive. Got it last week.


Take a look at their Darwin TM30 model. It folds flat and wheels against the wall. There's a couple of programs to get you going. For me it's bloody brilliant and at 939CHF not massively expensive as these things go.

https://www.sport-tiedje.ch/darwin-l...d-tm30-df-tm30


Only thing to be aware of... it's a LOT bigger than you imagine those dimensions to be, and it weighs SOOOOO MUCH. The box would not fit in our lift and on my own was a hell of a struggle to get up to my 1st floor flat.



Kind regards




Ian

Caleb 26.11.2020 06:32

Re: Which treadmill and where to buy?
 
I am a big fan of buying used gear, so I got my Horizon Paragon 6 from Tutti (I rented a van, and drove to AI to pick it up....seller helped me take the 2 halves apart and load them into the van).

Things to watch out for (YMMV):
- Good brand name. If you're buying new, check the warranty and service reputation.
- Check the specs and how they match your expected use: are you a sprinter? Then it needs to be long enough, and must be able to go to 16 to 20 km/h (many lower priced models can only do up to 12 km/h or 15 km/h). Are you heavy? Each model has a max. loading capacity, which is NOT huge, as motors range of 1HP to 2.5HP. Do you plan to use it mostly in winter, when trails are frozen? Does it have inclination feature?
- If you buy used, check for availability of service instructions (most obscure brands can't be found online, and you need to know how and when to lubricate).
- Like eairicbloodaxe said, treadmills are big, so measure carefully, especially the way to the room where it'll be. Factor in for turning.
- If buying used, you won't find a lot of compatibility with sport watches at all.

newtoswitz 26.11.2020 08:12

Re: Which treadmill and where to buy?
 
We got an elliptical trainer off Ricardo, good condition and 75% cheaper than new.

As you said, many people buy them and just end up with an expensive coat hanger. Although coronavirus may have changed that a bit.

naza 26.11.2020 08:46

Re: Which treadmill and where to buy?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by eairicbloodaxe (Post 3243051)
I bought mine from there. It took 3 weeks from date of order to arrive. Got it last week.


Take a look at their Darwin TM30 model. It folds flat and wheels against the wall. There's a couple of programs to get you going. For me it's bloody brilliant and at 939CHF not massively expensive as these things go.

https://www.sport-tiedje.ch/darwin-l...d-tm30-df-tm30


Only thing to be aware of... it's a LOT bigger than you imagine those dimensions to be, and it weighs SOOOOO MUCH. The box would not fit in our lift and on my own was a hell of a struggle to get up to my 1st floor flat.



Kind regards




Ian


Interesting I was looking at this precise model. The only thing that put me off a bit was that it only has continuous duty 1.5 HP.

Are you more of a runner as opposed to a jogger? Max speed is 15km/h so it should be fine but just curious on your experience on that

Caleb 26.11.2020 12:51

Re: Which treadmill and where to buy?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by naza (Post 3243124)
Interesting I was looking at this precise model. The only thing that put me off a bit was that it only has continuous duty 1.5 HP.

Are you more of a runner as opposed to a jogger? Max speed is 15km/h so it should be fine but just curious on your experience on that

Careful with a small 1.5HP motor. The stated max speed of 15km/h is in function of the runner's weight. So if you're over 100kg, and you plan to do intervals, you may find yourself quite limited.

naza 26.11.2020 13:13

Re: Which treadmill and where to buy?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Caleb (Post 3243251)
Careful with a small 1.5HP motor. The stated max speed of 15km/h is in function of the runner's weight. So if you're over 100kg, and you plan to do intervals, you may find yourself quite limited.

Agree, did some simple research and I need at least 2.0 HP with a top speed of 19km/h and a longer running surface (min 140cm)... I weigh 80-85 kgs (depends on the time of year ;) )but I don't think this model will allow me to achieve my objectives

the search continues - thanks

Caleb 26.11.2020 18:03

Re: Which treadmill and where to buy?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by naza (Post 3243262)
Agree, did some simple research and I need at least 2.0 HP with a top speed of 19km/h and a longer running surface (min 140cm)... I weigh 80-85 kgs (depends on the time of year ;) )but I don't think this model will allow me to achieve my objectives

I don't know what type of runner you are, but in case you are just starting you may want to know that 19km/h is VERY fast. World-class fast. :D

naza 26.11.2020 18:16

Re: Which treadmill and where to buy?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Caleb (Post 3243417)
I don't know what type of runner you are, but in case you are just starting you may want to know that 19km/h is VERY fast. World-class fast. :D

Yes of course. My thought here is if the model has a spec saying 15km/hr maximum itís probably like 12km. I am not world class but my wife runs every day and even if she says she doesnít want a treadmill my guess is she will use it more than I:D

MusicChick 26.11.2020 18:29

Re: Which treadmill and where to buy?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Caleb (Post 3243417)
I don't know what type of runner you are, but in case you are just starting you may want to know that 19km/h is VERY fast. World-class fast. :D

Indoors I do sprints at 22. :eek: And the treadmill is a huge stable station with soft padded running area. Gyms have much larger, more stable treadmills, the only machine I'd get for home is peloton.

Caleb 26.11.2020 19:51

Re: Which treadmill and where to buy?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MusicChick (Post 3243425)
Indoors I do sprints at 22.

Of course, but the take off on a treadmill is WAY less explosive than on the floor. The treadmill cannot accelerate as fast as you can on the track.

MusicChick 26.11.2020 20:11

Re: Which treadmill and where to buy?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Caleb (Post 3243449)
Of course, but the take off on a treadmill is WAY less explosive than on the floor. The treadmill cannot accelerate as fast as you can on the track.

Totally. It is robust but it still swings, though. I read somewhere that accelerating on treadmill is healthier, I forgot why, it's actually the accelerating bits than the full speed that bring benefits. I miss it. I sprinted outside the other day when nobody was looking.

doropfiz 26.11.2020 21:01

Re: Which treadmill and where to buy?
 
Is noise a consideration? I'd imagine that some models would result in more or less complaints from the neighbours. That's certainly so for excercise bicycles.

eairicbloodaxe 26.11.2020 23:00

Re: Which treadmill and where to buy?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by naza (Post 3243124)
Interesting I was looking at this precise model. The only thing that put me off a bit was that it only has continuous duty 1.5 HP.

Are you more of a runner as opposed to a jogger? Max speed is 15km/h so it should be fine but just curious on your experience on that


It's absolutely fine for me! I'm a half-an-hour-a-day-max kinda guy



I currently find the 9km/h setting a bit too fast. 8km/h is my reasonable speed for any length of time. 6km/h is a good fast walk or a slow jog.


The built in Fat Burn program is a killer. The HIIT program... likely will actually kill me.


The foldability is brilliant - I could not find a better one on the market.


Obviously, YMMV. I'm 5ft 10ins, 90kgs and slightly the wrong side of 50. If you're a 6ft, skinny 20 year old... well, why are you even getting a treadmill? Go outside and play.


The ideal machine that meets all your criteria, probably does not exist. If it's fast and robust enough, it probably doesn't fold neatly. If it's fast, robust, and folds... it won't be under 1,500chf.





Kind regards




Ian

Landers 27.11.2020 00:44

Re: Which treadmill and where to buy?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by newtoswitz (Post 3243109)
As you said, many people buy them and just end up with an expensive coat hanger. Although coronavirus may have changed that a bit.


Now they're expensive mask hangers :D




How are they with the thud thud thud thud thud and annoying your neighbours?

Caleb 27.11.2020 07:41

Re: Which treadmill and where to buy?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by doropfiz (Post 3243489)
Is noise a consideration? I'd imagine that some models would result in more or less complaints from the neighbours. That's certainly so for excercise bicycles.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Landers (Post 3243552)
How are they with the thud thud thud thud thud and annoying your neighbours?

I don't think the machine would be the biggest source of noise but more, as Landers suggests, the noise of the footsteps would be it.

MusicChick 27.11.2020 07:47

Re: Which treadmill and where to buy?
 
A good running technique isn't loud. Plus not being overweight. But still, one doesn't stomp on a treadmill. The actual engine is quiet in good quality machines, it's not a blender.

Caleb 27.11.2020 08:04

Re: Which treadmill and where to buy?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MusicChick (Post 3243562)
A good running technique isn't loud. Plus not being overweight. But still, one doesn't stomp on a treadmill. The actual engine is quiet in good quality machines, it's not a blender.

True, but I assumed that the cushioning that all decent treadmills offer exchanges the higher pitch stomp noise for the much lower frequency vibration that travels through concrete across flats.

MusicChick 27.11.2020 08:26

Re: Which treadmill and where to buy?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Caleb (Post 3243563)
True, but I assumed that the cushioning that all decent treadmills offer exchanges the higher pitch stomp noise for the much lower frequency vibration that travels through concrete across flats.

The low frequency hum could, yes. Like my bass. But I think the gym treadmills are a bit louder if they are infact noisy at all because they are used really 14hrs a day and serviced only once a while. Cheap treadmills will be noisy, imho.

Caleb 27.11.2020 08:50

Re: Which treadmill and where to buy?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MusicChick (Post 3243568)
But I think the gym treadmills are a bit louder if they are infact noisy at all because they are used really 14hrs a day and serviced only once a while. Cheap treadmills will be noisy, imho.

Dunno. I just measured mine, with is not a gym treadmill, but by no means a cheap one either. At 12km/h is very quiet, at 66 dB.

https://streamable.com/8w1dfo

MusicChick 27.11.2020 10:18

Re: Which treadmill and where to buy?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Caleb (Post 3243575)
Dunno. I just measured mine, with is not a gym treadmill, but by no means a cheap one either. At 12km/h is very quiet, at 66 dB.

https://streamable.com/8w1dfo

It is quiet because it is stable. Stable and quiet machines are expensive. I don't have one coz I run either in a gym or outside, and I always mix other machines in at the gym. It also take too much space tbh. I like gym as fitness/health factories and home for other stuff.:thumbsup:

Caleb 27.11.2020 11:07

Re: Which treadmill and where to buy?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MusicChick (Post 3243596)
It also take too much space tbh. I like gym as fitness/health factories and home for other stuff.

So true. Luckily I have a dedicated room for my home gym, which is where the treadmill and home trainer/stationary bike are (along with a mat, bench, weights, etc).

naza 27.11.2020 11:30

Re: Which treadmill and where to buy?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MusicChick (Post 3243596)
It also take too much space tbh. I like gym as fitness/health factories and home for other stuff.:thumbsup:

Yes this is why we would like a foldable treadmill. We have a basement which is large enough but it also doubles as a wine cellar and work area.... most of the space is reserved for the wine ;)

Caleb 27.11.2020 12:47

Re: Which treadmill and where to buy?
 
Yet another little heads-up: many folding treadmills don't fold "completely", but rather around 75į or so:

https://images.jhtassets.com/2fbda5e...f5104f110bae5/

The end of the running surface "protrudes" a bit from the actual length of the base and the handles, so you got to take that into account.

MusicChick 27.11.2020 13:00

Re: Which treadmill and where to buy?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Caleb (Post 3243626)
So true. Luckily I have a dedicated room for my home gym, which is where the treadmill and home trainer/stationary bike are (along with a mat, bench, weights, etc).

You are so lucky!

Quote:

Originally Posted by naza (Post 3243637)
Yes this is why we would like a foldable treadmill. We have a basement which is large enough but it also doubles as a wine cellar and work area.... most of the space is reserved for the wine ;)

You are so lucky, too!

Treverus 27.11.2020 13:02

Re: Which treadmill and where to buy?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MusicChick (Post 3243596)
It is quiet because it is stable. Stable and quiet machines are expensive.

I have an expensive and stable machine on foam dampers. Itís still not quiet if the engine does more than 7 km/h. The faster, the louder. I live in a house without neighbors underneath- otherwise is it definitely a consideration.

Iíd recommend to buy a used machine of higher quality than a 1k new one. The ones who are not foldable have much better decks to run on...

greenmount 27.11.2020 13:09

Re: Which treadmill and where to buy?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by naza (Post 3243637)
Yes this is why we would like a foldable treadmill. We have a basement which is large enough but it also doubles as a wine cellar and work area.... most of the space is reserved for the wine ;)

When it's folded it still occupies a lot of space and it's not like you put it in a corner and you take it out when you exercise. You need space, at least for a Paragon. Less wine is better. :D

As for the noise, somebody asked - yeah, definitely a factor to be taken into consideration if you have neighbours downstairs. Older buildings have poor insulation here. Even if you cushion the surface you place it on, I wouldn't vouch this is noise free for the neighbours. But then again you don't exercise during the night or at totally inappropriate hours.

MusicChick 27.11.2020 13:21

Re: Which treadmill and where to buy?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Treverus (Post 3243673)
I have an expensive and stable machine on foam dampers. Itís still not quiet if the engine does more than 7 km/h. The faster, the louder. I live in a house without neighbors underneath- otherwise is it definitely a consideration.

Iíd recommend to buy a used machine of higher quality than a 1k new one. The ones who are not foldable have much better decks to run on...

I agree. The gym machine is on extentions and I run at an angle, anyway. It is quiet but I am probably too light, too. :msnblush:

Caleb 27.11.2020 13:40

Re: Which treadmill and where to buy?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by greenmount (Post 3243682)
When it's folded it still occupies a lot of space and it's not like you put it in a corner and you take it out when you exercise. You need space, at least for a Paragon.

So true. Although you CAN move it, it's extremely cumbersome and it's a heavy machine (my Paragon is around 80kg). So I think nobody is likely to ever move it at all, other than folding it to make a little extra room. But it's easy to get tricked by the "make room", as you will still need the room when you plan to jog, so that extra space needs to always remain available. It can only be room to walk around, or where you lay your mat.

eairicbloodaxe 27.11.2020 20:51

Re: Which treadmill and where to buy?
 
I have to say mine is a lot quieter than I thought it would be. I will try to get a db measurement over the weekend.



The foot strikes are the loudest thing for sure*. But I'm on the ground floor and the washing machines below have not yet complained about the noise...


Kind regards






Ian


* actually it might be my puffing and panting that is louder...

smb 28.11.2020 14:16

Re: Which treadmill and where to buy?
 
The treadmill, which we bought from Sport-Tiedje for almost 2000 CHF and which was manufactured by them, broke down and it took them about 5 months to repair it (this happened a few years ago, before Covid-19). When the same treadmill broke down the second time, we threw it away and bought another treadmill from another place. Our second treadmill is manufactured by Kettler. We chose it, because it was sold in many stores and we hope that in case of a breakdown we will not depend on only one repair centre.

MusicChick 28.11.2020 14:22

Re: Which treadmill and where to buy?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by smb (Post 3244022)
The treadmill, which we bought from Sport-Tiedje for almost 2000 CHF and which was manufactured by them, broke down and it took them about 5 months to repair it (this happened a few years ago, before Covid-19). When the same treadmill broke down the second time, we threw it away and bought another treadmill from another place. Our second treadmill is manufactured by Kettler. We chose it, because it was sold in many stores and we hope that in case of a breakdown we will not depend on only one repair centre.

I've been running on big gym Kettlers for years, it is grest.


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 01:59.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0