Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Activities > Sports / Fitness / Beauty / Wellness  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 28.06.2021, 09:47
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Zug
Posts: 12
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Canada Family has no particular reputation at present
Scuba diving

Hello all. I have my PADI scuba diving license and most of my own equipment (minus a few items would need to rent) and looking into diving in Switzerland. I am in Zug and there are many people out diving regularly early mornings on the weekends. Is there a specific diving club of some kind in the area and a place to rent some of the gear I am missing? Any feedback on diving experiences in this area of Switzerland (central) would be great. Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 28.06.2021, 11:04
Spinal's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1,334
Groaned at 11 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 1,304 Times in 570 Posts
Spinal has a reputation beyond reputeSpinal has a reputation beyond reputeSpinal has a reputation beyond reputeSpinal has a reputation beyond reputeSpinal has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Scuba diving

Quote:
View Post
Hello all. I have my PADI scuba diving license and most of my own equipment (minus a few items would need to rent) and looking into diving in Switzerland. I am in Zug and there are many people out diving regularly early mornings on the weekends. Is there a specific diving club of some kind in the area and a place to rent some of the gear I am missing? Any feedback on diving experiences in this area of Switzerland (central) would be great. Thanks.
I dive most Tuesday evenings (PADI instructor) and always in search of new buddies. Do you have a drysuit or wetsuit?

What gear are you missing, I can lend you almost anything....
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 28.06.2021, 13:12
peaky's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: zurich
Posts: 359
Groaned at 6 Times in 6 Posts
Thanked 246 Times in 136 Posts
peaky has earned the respect of manypeaky has earned the respect of manypeaky has earned the respect of many
Re: Scuba diving

If you google/know of/find some diving shops, usually they have a driving group or club.

I have dived with a diving shop in Geneva and up this way with Scuba Viva who have shops in Zurich and Winterthur. Could hire from them and went with them diving

Of course if you catch the divers gearing up or packing up you can always ask them directly.

I havent dived so much in Switzerland, but the one most people want to tick of is the Verzasca Valley dive.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 28.06.2021, 16:45
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Brunnen
Posts: 422
Groaned at 12 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 207 Times in 126 Posts
starDeMer has an excellent reputationstarDeMer has an excellent reputationstarDeMer has an excellent reputationstarDeMer has an excellent reputation
Re: Scuba diving

Quote:
View Post
Hello all. I have my PADI scuba diving license
When asking this type of question, it can be good to tell a bit more regarding your ability to dive (level).
number of dives, max depth, PADI level, solo diver?
Numbers don't tell everything of course.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04.07.2021, 23:01
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Zug
Posts: 12
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Canada Family has no particular reputation at present
Re: Scuba diving

PADI Advanced Open Water. Probably around 25 dives (excluding certification/courses dives). Max depth 110ft/33m (not for long) but usually 50-80ft/15-24m. Never solo.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09.07.2021, 19:12
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Zurich
Posts: 2
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
amparo has no particular reputation at present
Re: Scuba diving

hi, I am a PADI rescue diver with similar aims (finding group to dive a bit). got wet shorty and gear, only need tank. experience in different continents, 40 or 50m depth? also night diving. anyone knows where could we rent (or buy) tanks and some gear and arrange some outings now that weather is finally improving?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10.07.2021, 00:11
swisspea's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: From one side of lake Zurich to the other...
Posts: 6,242
Groaned at 39 Times in 29 Posts
Thanked 6,261 Times in 2,890 Posts
swisspea has a reputation beyond reputeswisspea has a reputation beyond reputeswisspea has a reputation beyond reputeswisspea has a reputation beyond reputeswisspea has a reputation beyond reputeswisspea has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Scuba diving

You could try talking to the 'Underwasser' club in Zurich. There are some very serious divers in the club - Info is in German but lots of members speak English enough to help you feel welcome:

https://www.usz-zuerich.ch/club/


I went to their Christmas party a few years back and they had a great presentation of photos from someone who had been diving with whale sharks...
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10.07.2021, 08:01
Spinal's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1,334
Groaned at 11 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 1,304 Times in 570 Posts
Spinal has a reputation beyond reputeSpinal has a reputation beyond reputeSpinal has a reputation beyond reputeSpinal has a reputation beyond reputeSpinal has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Scuba diving

Quote:
View Post
hi, I am a PADI rescue diver with similar aims (finding group to dive a bit). got wet shorty and gear, only need tank. experience in different continents, 40 or 50m depth? also night diving. anyone knows where could we rent (or buy) tanks and some gear and arrange some outings now that weather is finally improving?

Scuva viva in Zurich rnts gear.


Keep in mind a shorty wont work here. Even at the height of summer, there's a thermocline in Zurisee; below which the water is 14c or so...


Be cautions going deep - beyond 40m is not a recreational dive, but a decompression dive. Especially in places like Switzerland, where the lake surface is 400+m above sea level, you need to take into account the reduced pressure at the surface.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12.07.2021, 14:51
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Brunnen
Posts: 422
Groaned at 12 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 207 Times in 126 Posts
starDeMer has an excellent reputationstarDeMer has an excellent reputationstarDeMer has an excellent reputationstarDeMer has an excellent reputation
Re: Scuba diving

Quote:
View Post
hi, I am a PADI rescue diver with similar aims (finding group to dive a bit). got wet shorty and gear, only need tank. experience in different continents, 40 or 50m depth? also night diving. anyone knows where could we rent (or buy) tanks and some gear and arrange some outings now that weather is finally improving?
you can wear your shorty for diving in Switzerland if you want, but you also need a good wetsuit or drysuit
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12.07.2021, 14:55
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Brunnen
Posts: 422
Groaned at 12 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 207 Times in 126 Posts
starDeMer has an excellent reputationstarDeMer has an excellent reputationstarDeMer has an excellent reputationstarDeMer has an excellent reputation
Re: Scuba diving

Quote:
View Post
Be cautions going deep - beyond 40m is not a recreational dive, but a decompression dive.
are you PADI?

A decompression dive is not an recreation dive? Who is saying that?
You can do a 60m dive with no decompression stop (in theory).
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12.07.2021, 15:36
Spinal's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1,334
Groaned at 11 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 1,304 Times in 570 Posts
Spinal has a reputation beyond reputeSpinal has a reputation beyond reputeSpinal has a reputation beyond reputeSpinal has a reputation beyond reputeSpinal has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Scuba diving

Quote:
View Post
are you PADI?

A decompression dive is not an recreation dive? Who is saying that?
You can do a 60m dive with no decompression stop (in theory).
I'm a PADI instructor... and the OP said he was following the PADI system.

Under the PADI system, dives to 60m are not considered recreational dives but technical dives.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12.07.2021, 16:35
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Brunnen
Posts: 422
Groaned at 12 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 207 Times in 126 Posts
starDeMer has an excellent reputationstarDeMer has an excellent reputationstarDeMer has an excellent reputationstarDeMer has an excellent reputation
Re: Scuba diving

Quote:
View Post
I'm a PADI instructor... and the OP said he was following the PADI system.

Under the PADI system, dives to 60m are not considered recreational dives but technical dives.
he is also advance diver
I am not trying to argue and I am not trying to compare sizes, not everything is about PADI.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Scuba Diving Pictures Spinal Sports / Fitness / Beauty / Wellness 28 05.07.2018 15:30
Anyone know of any Scuba Diving groups? (not diving courses) SwissAus Sports / Fitness / Beauty / Wellness 14 06.04.2017 10:10
Scuba diving air tanks. Stoker177 Sports / Fitness / Beauty / Wellness 2 16.06.2014 11:14
Scuba Diving in Zurich Markyd Sports / Fitness / Beauty / Wellness 2 08.07.2010 08:33
Scuba Diving in Zug Swiss Cheddar Sports / Fitness / Beauty / Wellness 4 19.08.2008 21:04


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 21:53.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0