Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Activities > Sports / Fitness / Beauty / Wellness  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 10.08.2010, 12:40
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 13,870
Groaned at 1,320 Times in 886 Posts
Thanked 20,718 Times in 7,946 Posts
Chuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is Protein Powder good for work out in gym ?

Quote:
View Post
Hi
I am doing regular work out for the past couple of months. My trainer is suggesting me to take protein powder but my friends restricting me not to take saying that protein powder is not good for health. Advise me whether it is good for health if I take it with proper work outs.

Thanks in advance,
Yes, it's good to use... no, there's no 'dangers' (you wont die). The whole point of the protein shake is to give youre muscles the protein they are crying out for, both after working out, and during the repair process. Take one after (within 15 mins) a workout, and one the next morning.

Whey protein is concentrated and much quickier than easier than sitting down to eat a mountain of (expensive) chicken/turkey or a ton of eggs, which are bad for you if you eat too many... it is there to support a healthy diet and is a valuable part of a strength training routine.

Quote:
View Post
This stuff cracks me up...
Nothing he said was BS, his advice on eating and training was sound, so the only amusing thing here are your posts imo.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Chuff for this useful post:
  #22  
Old 10.08.2010, 13:18
NDSpittal's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Bern
Posts: 271
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 81 Times in 47 Posts
NDSpittal has no particular reputation at present
Re: Is Protein Powder good for work out in gym ?

I drink a whey protien shake every day as a supplement. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whey_protein)

My other half is serious about his gym workouts, and drinks 3*600ml shakes a day: one in the morning with low fat milk, one after his workout with water, and one before bed with low fat milk. Drinking with water after a workout allows the body to absorb the nutrients quicker.

We both drink Weider Premium Whey Protein (see pic). I like the vanilla-caramel flavour, and my boyfriend goes for chocolate-nougat (which is heavier).

Edit: forgot to add, we buy in Bern, and it costs CHF 125 for the tub.
Attached Thumbnails
protein-powder-good-work-out-gym-wheyprotein.jpg  
__________________
A girl can never have too many pairs of shoes....

Last edited by NDSpittal; 10.08.2010 at 13:19. Reason: Additional info
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 10.08.2010, 13:56
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Is Protein Powder good for work out in gym ?

Ok sorry for being so flippant, there some people obviously who are in the dark about the 'sports' supplement business. Without laboriously copying and pasting large chunks from the BDA / FDA websites about sports dietetics I will summarize my objections to the posts i so rudely lampooned.

1) The 'Sports' supplement industry is a business who's only aim is to make profit, all 'supplements' you buy from sports shops or body building mags/ shops are un governed by BDA or FDA supplement or food regulations. This means in plane terms they can put what they like (as long as it is not harmful) into the 'white powder' you buy from them. There are high protein shakes and nutrient shakes available that are regulated by FDA and BDA, for ill people, (e.g. complan, and renal support liquid meal mixtures). Un surprisingly these are only advertised in medical journals (they are for ill people, and are much cheaper).

2) long distance runners work through carbohydrate , fat reserves and finally protein reserves to train and complete a marathon, (in effect they break down their own bodies to compete). Strength athletes don't do this, muscle does not directly equate to protein and more protein does not equate to greater muscle mass. It is perfectly possible to be a vegetarian body builder, diet must form a balance in every situation, more protein = your body (liver and kidneys) working at 100% full tilt to flush out the excess, or easily converting the protein to fat reserves.

3) No long term studies on ill effects of this protein stuff max whey and alike, (probably because there mostly chalk dust and sugar), if it makes you feel better then maybe you should do it, like believing in God or praying... It is no substitute for hard work. Long term use will probably lead to kidney or liver damage, it depends how tough your liver and kidneys are, but people who are susseptable to kidney damage could be at risk, why risk it? External strength is no indication of internal health.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #24  
Old 10.08.2010, 14:02
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Is Protein Powder good for work out in gym ?

Quote:
View Post
I drink a whey protien shake every day as a supplement. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whey_protein)

My other half is serious about his gym workouts, and drinks 3*600ml shakes a day: one in the morning with low fat milk, one after his workout with water, and one before bed with low fat milk. Drinking with water after a workout allows the body to absorb the nutrients quicker.

We both drink Weider Premium Whey Protein (see pic). I like the vanilla-caramel flavour, and my boyfriend goes for chocolate-nougat (which is heavier).

Edit: forgot to add, we buy in Bern, and it costs CHF 125 for the tub.
I have it on good authority that bread crusts make your hair curly!

(my special crusts cost chf 300 per bag)
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 10.08.2010, 14:09
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vaud
Posts: 2,459
Groaned at 175 Times in 122 Posts
Thanked 4,947 Times in 1,902 Posts
Mikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is Protein Powder good for work out in gym ?

Quote:
View Post
Ok sorry for being so flippant, there some people obviously who are in the dark about the 'sports' supplement business. Without laboriously copying and pasting large chunks from the BDA / FDA websites about sports dietetics I will summarize my objections to the posts i so rudely lampooned.

1) The 'Sports' supplement industry is a business who's only aim is to make profit, all 'supplements' you buy from sports shops or body building mags/ shops are un governed by BDA or FDA supplement or food regulations. This means in plane terms they can put what they like (as long as it is not harmful) into the 'white powder' you buy from them. There are high protein shakes and nutrient shakes available that are regulated by FDA and BDA, for ill people, (e.g. complan, and renal support liquid meal mixtures). Un surprisingly these are only advertised in medical journals (they are for ill people, and are much cheaper).

2) long distance runners work through carbohydrate , fat reserves and finally protein reserves to train and complete a marathon, (in effect they break down their own bodies to compete). Strength athletes don't do this, muscle does not directly equate to protein and more protein does not equate to greater muscle mass. It is perfectly possible to be a vegetarian body builder, diet must form a balance in every situation, more protein = your body (liver and kidneys) working at 100% full tilt to flush out the excess, or easily converting the protein to fat reserves.

3) No long term studies on ill effects of this protein stuff max whey and alike, (probably because there mostly chalk dust and sugar), if it makes you feel better then maybe you should do it, like believing in God or praying... It is no substitute for hard work. Long term use will probably lead to kidney or liver damage, it depends how tough your liver and kidneys are, but people who are susseptable to kidney damage could be at risk, why risk it? External strength is no indication of internal health.
utter rubbish.
Reply With Quote
This user groans at Mikers for this post:
  #26  
Old 10.08.2010, 14:12
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 13,870
Groaned at 1,320 Times in 886 Posts
Thanked 20,718 Times in 7,946 Posts
Chuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is Protein Powder good for work out in gym ?

Quote:
View Post
It is no substitute for hard work. Long term use will probably lead to kidney or liver damage, it depends how tough your liver and kidneys are, but people who are susseptable to kidney damage could be at risk, why risk it? External strength is no indication of internal health.
No-one said it was a "substitute for had work" so no idea why you are throwing that in there... it a supplement to hard work. As for the "probably lead to kidney failure" bit... can you please link me to the medical study or document you are referring to? Thousands of professional bodybuilders use whey protein as part of their daily routine... are you saying that them, their trainers and their nutritionists are all a bit clueless?

Here's three interesting reads for you...

Dear Mom and Dad... http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...ar_mom_and_dad

The Protein Prejudice... http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...tein_prejudice

The Protein Debate... http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...protein_debate

Interesting reading.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 10.08.2010, 14:16
hoppy
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Is Protein Powder good for work out in gym ?

I love protein milk shakes- I am hooked on the taste. However I think that I would be better off blending a fruit smoothie and throwing in powdered skimmed milk.

I know a man who had a perfectly nice body, he decided to start pumping up and taking the protein shakes. In 6 months he had street cred and offers of bouncer jobs. The shakes he was using were from a health and fitness shop. He got a real kick out of looking like the hulk. Eventually he got fed up with it- spending hours at the gym and money on the shakes, plus lots of meat. He had to buy new clothes and, with such a thick neck, ditch his Armani suits. The bulldog shape clashed with the image he wanted to convey as a svelte business man. So he packed it in and struggled to regain his former shape, he did it eventually, however he hasn't lost the stretch marks where the muscles suddenly grew. I think that CREATINE in the shakes had something to do with it. Oh, the other thing that you can get is a round hard belly that looks like a tortoise shell- not nice. Plus he had very high cholesterol from the meat intake.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 10.08.2010, 14:20
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Is Protein Powder good for work out in gym ?

Quote:
View Post
No-one said it was a "substitute for had work" so no idea why you are throwing that in there... it a supplement to hard work. As for the "probably lead to kidney failure" bit... can you please link me to the medical study or document you are referring to? Thousands of professional bodybuilders use whey protein as part of their daily routine... are you saying that them, their trainers and their nutritionists are all a bit clueless?

Here's three interesting reads for you...

Dear Mom and Dad... http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...ar_mom_and_dad

The Protein Prejudice... http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...tein_prejudice

The Protein Debate... http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...protein_debate

Interesting reading.
Oh God, no not again, i said kidney damage not kidney failure, It is logical to deduce that if your kidneys are being made to run at maximum capacity to flush this rubbish out of your system daily for years and years there is a high probability you will sustain kidney damage of some sort. There are no really long term studies i am aware of of continued uses of mega doses in which the results are not effected by other factors, e.g. steroid use, and are thus ambiguous.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #29  
Old 10.08.2010, 14:23
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 13,870
Groaned at 1,320 Times in 886 Posts
Thanked 20,718 Times in 7,946 Posts
Chuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is Protein Powder good for work out in gym ?

Quote:
View Post
Oh God, no not again, i said kidney damage not kidney failure, It is logical to deduce that if your kidneys are being made to run at maximum capacity to flush this rubbish out of your system daily for years and years there is a high probability you will sustain kidney damage of some sort. There are no really long term studies i am aware of of continued uses of mega doses in which the results are not effected by other factors, e.g. steroid use, and are thus ambiguous.
Ahh ok so you're just guessing, glad we cleared that one up. Read the links though, lots of good arguments in there.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 10.08.2010, 14:24
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Is Protein Powder good for work out in gym ?

Quote:
View Post
utter rubbish.
I have no problem with you rejecting the whole magisteria of medical science in favour of 'Hogan knows best'
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 10.08.2010, 14:25
Momus's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 213
Groaned at 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 102 Times in 42 Posts
Momus is considered knowledgeableMomus is considered knowledgeableMomus is considered knowledgeable
Re: Is Protein Powder good for work out in gym ?

This is an interesting post, I recently went back to the gym after a few months off and was given a workout routine by the instructor. I wanted to work on upper body and he gave me a few machines to do on alternate days, some abs and back work and lots of cardio. I always like doing cardio once I get into it, but I HEARD that machines are not that good for you, compared to free weights...They are too linear and only effect a very limited range of movement.

I appreciate this isn't specifically the topic of this thread ( Free Weights vs The Machines ) but I guess if you're taking protein powder to enhance your workout, you also need to make sure you're doing the RIGHT exercises. After all, you can snort protein powder all you like ( I heard some people even drink it with "milk" ) but if you're not working out smart, you won't see any effect. And diet is super important as well, balance between carbs, proteins and

For the record, I am now doing free weights at home because it doesn't involve travelling, getting changed or being eyed up by the sweaty narcissists and I starting running in the free world instead of trapped on a treadmill watching French TV with no sound ( arguably, the best way )

I'm seeing some effects after a month or so - some nice repectful cardio and my muscles ache a bit more after free weights than a machine, which is a good sign. And - back on track - I make a home-made protein drink afterwards - usually 20g mixed with milk, a banana or some peanut butter or raspberries etc. Actually, COOP do a nice frozen berry mix which also makes it nice and cold.

SO, I think protein power is all well and good but it's only a part of your training overall, not a quick fix to getting ripped ...

- Diet
- Work Out Smart

... But I'm no expert. I still have moobs for godsake!!! (.) (.) !!
__________________
It's not God I have a problem with, it's the fanclub ...
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Momus for this useful post:
  #32  
Old 10.08.2010, 14:32
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vaud
Posts: 2,459
Groaned at 175 Times in 122 Posts
Thanked 4,947 Times in 1,902 Posts
Mikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is Protein Powder good for work out in gym ?

Quote:
View Post
I have no problem with you rejecting the whole magisteria of medical science in favour of 'Hogan knows best'
none of which you have provided apart from "well if your working your kidneys hard they must pack up". Funny thing is, Im sure triathletes work their hearts quite a lot but from what I can gather, they dont die early.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 10.08.2010, 14:35
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 13,870
Groaned at 1,320 Times in 886 Posts
Thanked 20,718 Times in 7,946 Posts
Chuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is Protein Powder good for work out in gym ?

Quote:
View Post
SO, I think protein power is all well and good but it's only a part of your training overall, not a quick fix to getting ripped ...

- Diet
- Work Out Smart

... But I'm no expert. I still have moobs for godsake!!! (.) (.) !!
For the sake of a sensible debate on this issue (ie: is a good training regime benefitted by using whey supplements), can we not please just assume that people discussing protein intake know how to have a reasonable diet, and know the right exercises? I think otherwise the topic will go off-track a bit.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 10.08.2010, 14:37
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Is Protein Powder good for work out in gym ?

Ok here ya go :- http://www.teenweightwise.com/being_...for_sport.html
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 10.08.2010, 14:39
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 13,870
Groaned at 1,320 Times in 886 Posts
Thanked 20,718 Times in 7,946 Posts
Chuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is Protein Powder good for work out in gym ?

Here you go what?
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 10.08.2010, 14:41
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Basel
Posts: 25
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Halaseh has no particular reputation at present
Re: Is Protein Powder good for work out in gym ?

Natural protein is the best!! Fish, meat, chicken, eggs, yoghurt, milk, beans and many more are rich in protein... Don't go for chemical things.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 10.08.2010, 14:41
Momus's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 213
Groaned at 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 102 Times in 42 Posts
Momus is considered knowledgeableMomus is considered knowledgeableMomus is considered knowledgeable
Re: Is Protein Powder good for work out in gym ?

Quote:
View Post
For the sake of a sensible debate on this issue (ie: is a good training regime benefitted by using whey supplements), can we not please just assume that people discussing protein intake know how to have a reasonable diet, and know the right exercises? I think otherwise the topic will go off-track a bit.
okie dokie !
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 10.08.2010, 14:49
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Is Protein Powder good for work out in gym ?

Quote:
View Post
No-one said it was a "substitute for had work" so no idea why you are throwing that in there... it a supplement to hard work. As for the "probably lead to kidney failure" bit... can you please link me to the medical study or document you are referring to? Thousands of professional bodybuilders use whey protein as part of their daily routine... are you saying that them, their trainers and their nutritionists are all a bit clueless?

Here's three interesting reads for you...

Dear Mom and Dad... http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...ar_mom_and_dad

The Protein Prejudice... http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...tein_prejudice

The Protein Debate... http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...protein_debate

Interesting reading.
My suggestions have been noted take heed if you wish, I assume your supplement habit will not be dented by common sense, but I actually couldn't care less, steroids are medically proven to greatly increase muscle mass though...
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 10.08.2010, 14:52
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 13,870
Groaned at 1,320 Times in 886 Posts
Thanked 20,718 Times in 7,946 Posts
Chuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is Protein Powder good for work out in gym ?

Quote:
View Post
My suggestions have been noted take heed if you wish, I assume your supplement habit will not be dented by common sense, but I actually couldn't care less, steroids are medically proven to greatly increase muscle mass though...
Your suggestion of reading "Teenweightwise" was duly noted, and promptly laughed at. When you find something related to supplements and bodybuilding let me know, until then rest assured by links were a tad more convincing and scientifically based than yours.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 10.08.2010, 14:58
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Is Protein Powder good for work out in gym ?

Quote:
View Post
Your suggestion of reading "Teenweightwise" was duly noted, and promptly laughed at. When you find something related to supplements and bodybuilding let me know, until then rest assured by links were a tad more convincing and scientifically based than yours.
That was the British Dietetic association website, they are a faculty of the British medical establishment and their input is of the highest scientific standing, this is a teen age issue dude, maybe you should grow up.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone knows a good fitness gym in Basel? PeterO Sports / Fitness / Beauty / Wellness 7 30.06.2013 11:00
Know a good gym in Hottingen? virtuallyswiss Sports / Fitness / Beauty / Wellness 0 04.12.2009 16:56
Free Gym Membership (Work on a farm for the day) Natasha Social events 89 18.08.2008 09:48
[Maennedorf, Meilen, nearby] looking for a good gym Oz1970 Sports / Fitness / Beauty / Wellness 1 29.08.2007 16:39


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 21:41.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0