Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Activities > Sports / Fitness / Beauty / Wellness  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10.08.2010, 10:28
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Zürich
Posts: 43
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
sdiptanil has become a little unpopularsdiptanil has become a little unpopular
Is Protein Powder good for work out in gym ?

Hi
I am doing regular work out for the past couple of months. My trainer is suggesting me to take protein powder but my friends restricting me not to take saying that protein powder is not good for health. Advise me whether it is good for health if I take it with proper work outs.

Thanks in advance,
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10.08.2010, 10:29
phdoofus's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: City by the Bay
Posts: 2,357
Groaned at 96 Times in 56 Posts
Thanked 3,205 Times in 1,227 Posts
phdoofus has a reputation beyond reputephdoofus has a reputation beyond reputephdoofus has a reputation beyond reputephdoofus has a reputation beyond reputephdoofus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is Protein Powder good for work out in gym ?

There's nothing in protein powder that you can't get from egg whites and chicken. If there is something else, it's not proven to do you any good other than give them a reason to raise the price.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10.08.2010, 10:37
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 147
Groaned at 12 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 57 Times in 42 Posts
TradeTicker has annoyed a few people around hereTradeTicker has annoyed a few people around here
Re: Is Protein Powder good for work out in gym ?

There are different type of protein supplements available:
- for covering up for proteins deficiency in daily diet (considered good , no side effect if taken in prescribed proportion)
- special performance enhancing for strenuous work out and gaining muscles quickly.(Creatine- these are definitely with side effects)
Once you take creatine and dont work out your body would retain more water than required and will increase muscle size without increasing power in the muscles.

Athleticum salesmen usually offer good advice and would warn you with the side effects.

Depending upon what your goals are , decide for yourself.

Cheers
TT
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank TradeTicker for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 10.08.2010, 10:40
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Zurich
Posts: 391
Groaned at 18 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 165 Times in 80 Posts
Country_Mouse is considered knowledgeableCountry_Mouse is considered knowledgeableCountry_Mouse is considered knowledgeable
Re: Is Protein Powder good for work out in gym ?

Hi, there's nothing wrong with protein powder, especially whey. All athletes use it, all football players, rugby players etc

Of course you can opt to get all your protein from eggs, dairy, meets, avocados etc, but if you have a good workout, with heavy weights, your muscles need a quick recovery (in the following 1 hour after workout). It's a lot easier to drink a protein shake with circa 30-40 grams or protein than eat 12 eggs, or 4 steaks.......

If you are really into working out, I suggest get a copy of Men's Health (Zurich airport has English copies) you will learn a lot from just 1 magazine.

Cheers
Reply With Quote
The following 6 users would like to thank Country_Mouse for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 10.08.2010, 10:43
eyebeebe's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Pfäffikon SZ
Posts: 2,293
Groaned at 21 Times in 20 Posts
Thanked 3,079 Times in 1,304 Posts
eyebeebe has a reputation beyond reputeeyebeebe has a reputation beyond reputeeyebeebe has a reputation beyond reputeeyebeebe has a reputation beyond reputeeyebeebe has a reputation beyond reputeeyebeebe has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is Protein Powder good for work out in gym ?

Quote:
View Post
There's nothing in protein powder that you can't get from egg whites and chicken. If there is something else, it's not proven to do you any good other than give them a reason to raise the price.
But gram for gram it normally works out cheaper to buy the powder than chicken breasts and it is a lot more convenient.

Current thinking seems to be if you want to increase the size and strength of yoir muscles you have to consume more calories than your natural neutral rate. Protein shakes are an easy way to do this.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank eyebeebe for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 10.08.2010, 10:46
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: basel
Posts: 203
Groaned at 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 93 Times in 65 Posts
daveAust has made some interesting contributions
Re: Is Protein Powder good for work out in gym ?

or read that: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biological_value
everyday an egg or two with potatoes and your set. no artifical stuff needed
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10.08.2010, 10:47
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 20
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
meebo has no particular reputation at present
Re: Is Protein Powder good for work out in gym ?

Earlier have been drinking Ovamaltine mixed with whey protien powder after the workout . Theoretically the whey protien is absorbed quickly as the metabolism is high. But in real life i usually get a bloated tummy .

Recently I switched to the dextros tablets which provides small amount of crabs which reduces the burned out feeling a bit. Key is to have your after workout meal as quickly as possible after the workout
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank meebo for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 10.08.2010, 10:58
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Vaud
Posts: 2,894
Groaned at 97 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 1,932 Times in 921 Posts
Anthony1406 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony1406 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony1406 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony1406 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony1406 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is Protein Powder good for work out in gym ?

Quote:
View Post
Earlier have been drinking Ovamaltine mixed with whey protien powder after the workout . Theoretically the whey protien is absorbed quickly as the metabolism is high. But in real life i usually get a bloated tummy .

Recently I switched to the dextros tablets which provides small amount of crabs which reduces the burned out feeling a bit. Key is to have your after workout meal as quickly as possible after the workout

hahahaha you should reread your post and find the mistake.....
Reply With Quote
The following 8 users would like to thank Anthony1406 for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 10.08.2010, 11:03
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Is Protein Powder good for work out in gym ?

Interesting one.

First of all i guess it depends what you measure as bad for you, what else do you consume in your diet that is processed? If you eat like a saint purely veg/fish and not much more. Then, well maybe in comparism this isn't so good.
I train quite hard, and with that i eat quite healthy 40/30/30 (prot/fat/ carb), it comes hand in hand. Like building a nice car and running it on shit oil and petrol!

If someone here has some real solid evidence protein powders are bad for you, then id like to read it.

True as phdoofus says you can get most of your protein from chicken/eggs etc, which i do, i never use protein shakes as a meal replacement, only supplements i ever use are fish oil capsules. I only use protein powder after a workout where it's a convenient and quick shot of protein into your body when it's required. Chicken or eggs take about 60/90mins to process. Protein in Whey format is much quicker.

If you're not training too seriously or not looking to buid muscle, then i wouldn't bother, just eat your healthy 5/6 small meals a day perhaps. Look at your personal trainer, does he look fit (in a non gay way of course) if he does and looks well for it, there's your evidence, im sure he uses it.

I trained with a PT who i thought looked how i wanted to look, which worked out good, he took me through the same routines he did, plus the same diet. Ive definately noticed better recovery using protein powder. He passed me on a few tips including a protein shake post workout with some hi gi carbs, like a shot of honey or dextrose (prevent the catabolic state).

Here's an example of a post workout shake:

http://www.realweighttraining.com/th...workout-shake/

I use Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Gold, gets good reviews everywhere. And im v happy with it.

What ive learnt over the years:

Eat well, small meals often, steer clear of all white processed breads/pasta.
Drink plenty of water.
Buy a steamer eat veg tastes better and holds all goodness in.
Buy a juicer, chuck in carrots pineapple and mint, great drink!!!
Train at least 3times/week chuck in some 20min hard cardios skipping/sprints/swimming/rowing.
Circuits like a shoulder workout 3x8/12 x3 60 second pause between circuit. finish with some situps or back work.
Always work abs and lower back on diff days if you do, too much abs will or may give you back pains, keep a balance.
Throw in routines you really dont like, such as squats (biggest calorie burner) and wide grip, narrow pullups on a bar.
Give yourself a day off ev other weekend and eat everything you want.

Sit back and reap the benefits, if you dont look healthier after 3/6months ill eat my shorts.

If anyone fancies a few training routines/circuits or q's pm me.

Last edited by acen; 10.08.2010 at 12:05.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 10.08.2010, 11:06
SyBry's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Basel area
Posts: 35
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 15 Times in 10 Posts
SyBry is considered knowledgeableSyBry is considered knowledgeableSyBry is considered knowledgeable
Re: Is Protein Powder good for work out in gym ?

My husband and I are both fit and we always have protein powder available to make a quick healthy shake if we don't have time for a proper meal. Just go easy with the portion size and be aware of the calories it provides.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10.08.2010, 11:07
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Dielsdorf ZH
Posts: 155
Groaned at 10 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 74 Times in 45 Posts
S00ty_0 has become a little unpopular
Re: Is Protein Powder good for work out in gym ?

Quote:
View Post
hahahaha you should reread your post and find the mistake.....
I can't find protien powder anywhere...., what do they use it for?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10.08.2010, 12:02
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 185
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 90 Times in 41 Posts
BoZz has earned the respect of manyBoZz has earned the respect of manyBoZz has earned the respect of many
Re: Is Protein Powder good for work out in gym ?

Everyone will have a differnet opinion depending on what they themselves prescribe to or not.

Bottom line is do what feels best for you and not what others tell you. Your best friend is your own body. Listen to it. Learn to understand it.

If you are really training that hard, first analyze that, do you really need to? What are your objectives? Are you trying to achieve something special or just wish to stay fit? Good health and being fit does not require extreme regimes. At the end of the day do you feel you are lacking strength etc.? Maybe it is better to cut down on your training rather than up it. Again that depends on your ultimate aim.

Lastly remember if you are relatively younger, in my opinion it is easier and better to form a habit of excercise that you can easily and safely carry on with as your grow older and lazier. Building big bulk has a lot more disadvantge than advantage.

In my experiance most of all the people who pushed the limits when they were young ended up looking like a water melon later on in life.

Good luck which ever way you decide to go.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank BoZz for this useful post:
  #13  
Old 10.08.2010, 12:22
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Is Protein Powder good for work out in gym ?

Quote:
View Post
Hi, there's nothing wrong with protein powder, especially whey. All athletes use it, all football players, rugby players etc

Of course you can opt to get all your protein from eggs, dairy, meets, avocados etc, but if you have a good workout, with heavy weights, your muscles need a quick recovery (in the following 1 hour after workout). It's a lot easier to drink a protein shake with circa 30-40 grams or protein than eat 12 eggs, or 4 steaks.......

If you are really into working out, I suggest get a copy of Men's Health (Zurich airport has English copies) you will learn a lot from just 1 magazine.

Cheers
Sounds good, unfortunately devoid of scientific thought, this one has been debunked sooooooooo many times, take protein powder if you wish, all it will do is lighten your wallet. Even body builders don't need this amount of protein, if any athlete should supplement their diet with protein it should be the long distance runners. And why not use medically BDA FDA approved supplements? instead of the rubbish you buy at sports shops.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10.08.2010, 12:25
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Is Protein Powder good for work out in gym ?

Quote:
View Post
My husband and I are both fit and we always have protein powder available to make a quick healthy shake if we don't have time for a proper meal. Just go easy with the portion size and be aware of the calories it provides.
lol, you might as well take medical dietary advice from a 'Superman' comic...
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10.08.2010, 12:32
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Is Protein Powder good for work out in gym ?

Quote:
View Post
Interesting one.

First of all i guess it depends what you measure as bad for you, what else do you consume in your diet that is processed? If you eat like a saint purely veg/fish and not much more. Then, well maybe in comparism this isn't so good.
I train quite hard, and with that i eat quite healthy 40/30/30 (prot/fat/ carb), it comes hand in hand. Like building a nice car and running it on shit oil and petrol!

If someone here has some real solid evidence protein powders are bad for you, then id like to read it.

True as phdoofus says you can get most of your protein from chicken/eggs etc, which i do, i never use protein shakes as a meal replacement, only supplements i ever use are fish oil capsules. I only use protein powder after a workout where it's a convenient and quick shot of protein into your body when it's required. Chicken or eggs take about 60/90mins to process. Protein in Whey format is much quicker.

If you're not training too seriously or not looking to buid muscle, then i wouldn't bother, just eat your healthy 5/6 small meals a day perhaps. Look at your personal trainer, does he look fit (in a non gay way of course) if he does and looks well for it, there's your evidence, im sure he uses it.

I trained with a PT who i thought looked how i wanted to look, which worked out good, he took me through the same routines he did, plus the same diet. Ive definately noticed better recovery using protein powder. He passed me on a few tips including a protein shake post workout with some hi gi carbs, like a shot of honey or dextrose (prevent the catabolic state).

Here's an example of a post workout shake:

http://www.realweighttraining.com/th...workout-shake/

I use Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Gold, gets good reviews everywhere. And im v happy with it.

What ive learnt over the years:

Eat well, small meals often, steer clear of all white processed breads/pasta.
Drink plenty of water.
Buy a steamer eat veg tastes better and holds all goodness in.
Buy a juicer, chuck in carrots pineapple and mint, great drink!!!
Train at least 3times/week chuck in some 20min hard cardios skipping/sprints/swimming/rowing.
Circuits like a shoulder workout 3x8/12 x3 60 second pause between circuit. finish with some situps or back work.
Always work abs and lower back on diff days if you do, too much abs will or may give you back pains, keep a balance.
Throw in routines you really dont like, such as squats (biggest calorie burner) and wide grip, narrow pullups on a bar.
Give yourself a day off ev other weekend and eat everything you want.

Sit back and reap the benefits, if you dont look healthier after 3/6months ill eat my shorts.

If anyone fancies a few training routines/circuits or q's pm me.
This stuff cracks me up...
Reply With Quote
This user groans at for this post:
  #16  
Old 10.08.2010, 12:37
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Is Protein Powder good for work out in gym ?

Quote:
View Post
Sounds good, unfortunately devoid of scientific thought, this one has been debunked sooooooooo many times, take protein powder if you wish, all it will do is lighten your wallet. Even body builders don't need this amount of protein, if any athlete should supplement their diet with protein it should be the long distance runners. And why not use medically BDA FDA approved supplements? instead of the rubbish you buy at sports shops.
Ok lets see some hard facts.


Hehe And you will find long distance runners use relatively LOW protein /complex carbs/fats in their diet.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10.08.2010, 12:38
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Zurich
Posts: 391
Groaned at 18 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 165 Times in 80 Posts
Country_Mouse is considered knowledgeableCountry_Mouse is considered knowledgeableCountry_Mouse is considered knowledgeable
Re: Is Protein Powder good for work out in gym ?

Point 2 - never take advice from a Scot :-)
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 10.08.2010, 12:42
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Zurich
Posts: 391
Groaned at 18 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 165 Times in 80 Posts
Country_Mouse is considered knowledgeableCountry_Mouse is considered knowledgeableCountry_Mouse is considered knowledgeable
Re: Is Protein Powder good for work out in gym ?

Quote:
View Post
if any athlete should supplement their diet with protein it should be the long distance runners
Great theory, but why would runners use protein apart from at recovery stage? Runners aim to keep muscle mass low so they are lighter and carry less weight.

The idea of body builders not consuming lots of protein is absurd, you ruin your muscle fibres when you lift weights, you then need to fuel them so they 1. grow and 2. recover.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 10.08.2010, 12:47
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Monaco
Posts: 514
Groaned at 61 Times in 27 Posts
Thanked 658 Times in 281 Posts
scrambled has a reputation beyond reputescrambled has a reputation beyond reputescrambled has a reputation beyond reputescrambled has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is Protein Powder good for work out in gym ?

there's nothing wrong with protein powder itself -- the protein is derived from milk. however to make it taste better, manufacturers will mix it with chocolate, sugar, etc. you can buy pure whey protein or you can go with a mix, as long as you know what you're getting into.

somebody was discussing creatine above, but unfortunately was incorrect. creatine and protein powder are two completely different things, although you may find them mixed together into some all-in-one type drinks.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 10.08.2010, 13:28
eyebeebe's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Pfäffikon SZ
Posts: 2,293
Groaned at 21 Times in 20 Posts
Thanked 3,079 Times in 1,304 Posts
eyebeebe has a reputation beyond reputeeyebeebe has a reputation beyond reputeeyebeebe has a reputation beyond reputeeyebeebe has a reputation beyond reputeeyebeebe has a reputation beyond reputeeyebeebe has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is Protein Powder good for work out in gym ?

Quote:
View Post
This stuff cracks me up...
Care to rebutt the points rather than just posting flippant comments. It would be good if you could post credible links too...

NB I have no vested interest in the matter as I have never taken supplements. If I could motivate myself into a regular routine, I would consider using them, if I felt I had a protein deficiency.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank eyebeebe for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone knows a good fitness gym in Basel? PeterO Sports / Fitness / Beauty / Wellness 7 30.06.2013 12:00
Know a good gym in Hottingen? virtuallyswiss Sports / Fitness / Beauty / Wellness 0 04.12.2009 17:56
Free Gym Membership (Work on a farm for the day) Natasha Social events 89 18.08.2008 10:48
[Maennedorf, Meilen, nearby] looking for a good gym Oz1970 Sports / Fitness / Beauty / Wellness 1 29.08.2007 17:39


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 03:36.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0