English Forum Switzerland

English Forum Switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php)
-   Swiss politics/news (https://www.englishforum.ch/swiss-politics-news/)
-   -   Bundesrat wants to remove incest law (https://www.englishforum.ch/swiss-politics-news/101465-bundesrat-wants-remove-incest-law.html)

Gastro Gnome 15.12.2010 21:53

Re: Bundesrat wants to remove incest law
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by zymogen (Post 1045997)
I neither understand, sympatize nor emphatize with incestous couples.

I have to say that the statement above is slightly better than saying you would 'observe' them, as if they weren't human. It's fine to say that you find it a bit icky or that you think it's wrong . . . the stuff you're coming out with though is beyond intolerant.

zymogen 15.12.2010 22:06

Re: Bundesrat wants to remove incest law
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gastro Gnome (Post 1046087)
I have to say that the statement above is slightly better than saying you would 'observe' them, as if they weren't human. It's fine to say that you find it a bit icky or that you think it's wrong . . . the stuff you're coming out with though is beyond intolerant.

I gotta ask: which term other than 'observe' would you as native speaker use to describe what people (or is it just me?) in many social gatherings do: looking at other people and trying to explain their behaviors?

Gastro Gnome 15.12.2010 22:13

Re: Bundesrat wants to remove incest law
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by zymogen (Post 1046103)
I gotta ask: which term other than 'observe' would you as native speaker use to describe what people (or is it just me?) in many social gatherings do: looking at other people and trying to explain their behaviors?

It's not particularly the word that's wrong.

If you're so curious why wouldn't you simply engage with them as you would with any other person.

Yes, of course we might observe someone else in the street . . . but I don't pre-judge that I'm going to only observe a certain category of people.

Assassin 16.12.2010 09:09

Re: Bundesrat wants to remove incest law
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Upthehatters2008 (Post 1045866)
Also, sticking to wiki...

Research indicates that 46% of children who are raped are victims of family members (Langan and Harlow, 1994). The majority of American rape victims (61%) are raped before the age of 18; furthermore, 29% of all forcible rapes occurred when the victim was less than 11 years old. 11% of rape victims are raped by their fathers or step-fathers, and another 16% are raped by other relatives. [33]

Although I appreciate that you have no better sources than Wiki, we'll never know the true extent of rape. I know a few victims (male & female) and none of them ever reported their abuse cases either because their families stifled the event as not being "significant" or they were simply too young to acknowledge what it was they had experienced. In one case, the father stopped the abuse when the daughter's menstrual cycle started - unbelievable. Do the victims forgive? Do they move on and enjoy physical relationships afterwards? They never forget, that's for sure.

nikolay 16.12.2010 09:11

Re: Bundesrat wants to remove incest law
 
This idea is so so so sick :msnsick:

OSueco 16.12.2010 17:06

Re: Bundesrat wants to remove incest law
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wollishofener (Post 1046007)
That you regard the members of the Swiss Federal Council (with one or two exceptions -- Mr Maurer and possibly Mrs Widmer-Schlumpf) as "sickos" goes a bit too far ! Incest without marriage does NOT take place on the open road, but behind closed doors, and so, a law like this is completely ineffective.

The idea of the Federal Council is NOT to allow incest but to drop ineffective unnecessary laws. And no, near relatives are NOT be allowed to marry !

There is a side-aspect which in fact is very important and that is that both SVP and CVP in the past very heavily up to drop laws they deemed unnecessary, which had been brought into effect by either SP or FDP. As SVP+CVP will succeed in keeping THIS law alive, the SP and FDP folks in future will have a precedent when the SVP attacks really useful laws of the other side.

I did not say that the Swiss Council were sickos but the people who want to be in a relationship with their own family members...what's next? Pets?

OSueco 16.12.2010 17:17

Re: Bundesrat wants to remove incest law
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Assassin (Post 1045260)
Have you actually read through the posts on this thread? If so, you haven't really grasped the debate at all. You're either unable to state your point of view in an eloquent way, which is OK if you're just shooting a quick reply, but why the ridiculous exaggeration with the marital sentence? That's not up for discussion. Bring your arguments, but at least bring some facts to the table or your slant on the debate, we've moved on from caveman antics.

Issue: "they" want to remove the law which prohibits incest

My reaction: ...it's insane...:eek:

My reason: Do I need to have an argument for that? Please, what is the argument for defending a father who wants to have children with his daughter...and you call me a caveman?

what's the facts what you're talking about? This is a matter of opinion. I did not comment at all on the genetical disorders or the mental issues when the child founds out that his mother is his aunt or grandmother...or whatever.

For me marriaged or not? does that really matter? You mean you are pro incest but against them getting married?...mmmkay...,

This is so wrong in so many ways...

OSueco 16.12.2010 17:27

Re: Bundesrat wants to remove incest law
 
btw out of topic, is bestiality allowed here? :confused:

Wollishofener 16.12.2010 19:10

Re: Bundesrat wants to remove incest law
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by OSueco (Post 1046785)
I did not say that the Swiss Council were sickos but the people who want to be in a relationship with their own family members...what's next? Pets?

Alright. But there is no law prohibiting sexual intercourse between dog-owners and their dogs. So what ? ;)

Wollishofener 16.12.2010 19:15

Re: Bundesrat wants to remove incest law
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by OSueco (Post 1046798)
Issue: "they" want to remove the law which prohibits incest

My reaction: ...it's insane...:eek:

My reason: Do I need to have an argument for that? Please, what is the argument for defending a father who wants to have children with his daughter...and you call me a caveman?

what's the facts what you're talking about? This is a matter of opinion. I did not comment at all on the genetical disorders or the mental issues when the child founds out that his mother is his aunt or grandmother...or whatever.

For me marriaged or not? does that really matter? You mean you are pro incest but against them getting married?...mmmkay...,

This is so wrong in so many ways...

we are not talking here about anybody being pro incest .....

native 16.12.2010 19:43

Re: Bundesrat wants to remove incest law
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by OSueco (Post 1046808)
btw out of topic, is bestiality allowed here? :confused:

Yes.
That would be an interesting topic on its own...
Really funny that you're allowed to do it, but not to watch videos of other people doing it...

Wollishofener 16.12.2010 20:26

Re: Bundesrat wants to remove incest law
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by OSueco (Post 1046808)
btw out of topic, is bestiality allowed here? :confused:

please define what "bestiality* is exactly ! :p

native 16.12.2010 20:35

Re: Bundesrat wants to remove incest law
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wollishofener (Post 1046904)
please define what "bestiality* is exactly ! :p

Where are you going with this?

Wollishofener 16.12.2010 21:04

Re: Bundesrat wants to remove incest law
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by native (Post 1046906)
Where are you going with this?

just for an exact definition !

when terrorism became a topic, the famous German politician Herbert Wehner entitled the conservative opponents as "Geistige Terroristen" (terrorists in spirits).

let's not forget that one of the most important themes of Willy Brandt in 1969 was "mehr Demokratie wagen" (let's risk more democracy), and this in the midst of a Central Europe still in the Cold War, in a time when travels to the "Eastern Block" in Switzerland only were available with "Popularis Tours", an outlet of the far-left of the SP

I still remember that I defended the 1980 unrest, but made it clear that I neither was in favour of drug abuse nor of the destruction of public property. That I then quoted statements of Jean-Paul Sartre and Frantz Fanon to my utter surprise made me a leftwing revolutionary in the view of many of our apprentices was a strange but quite useful side-result ! ;)

native 16.12.2010 21:11

Re: Bundesrat wants to remove incest law
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wollishofener (Post 1046918)
just for an exact definition !

when terrorism became a topic, the famous German politician Herbert Wehner entitled the conservative opponents as "Geistige Terroristen" (terrorists in spirits).

let's not forget that one of the most important themes of Willy Brandt in 1969 was "mehr Demokratie wagen" (let's risk more democracy), and this in the midst of a Central Europe still in the Cold War, in a time when travels to the "Eastern Block" in Switzerland only were available with "Popularis Tours", an outlet of the far-left of the SP

I still remember that I defended the 1980 unrest, but made it clear that I neither was in favour of drug abuse nor of the destruction of public property. That I then quoted statements of Jean-Paul Sartre and Frantz Fanon to my utter surprise made me a leftwing revolutionary in the view of many of our apprentices was a strange but quite useful side-result ! ;)

:msnshock:

:rofl:

The exact definition of bestiality is...

...

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/8493/drumroll.gif

sexual activity between a person and an animal!

Gastro Gnome 16.12.2010 21:30

Re: Bundesrat wants to remove incest law
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by OSueco (Post 1046785)
I did not say that the Swiss Council were sickos but the people who want to be in a relationship with their own family members...what's next? Pets?

Sickos? How terribly judgemental. What business is it of yours what consenting adults get up to in their own bedrooms?

Custodian 16.12.2010 21:46

Re: Bundesrat wants to remove incest law
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by native (Post 1046921)
:msnshock:

:rofl:

The exact definition of bestiality is...

...

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/8493/drumroll.gif

sexual activity between a person and an animal!

At least the animal does not suffer mental anguish for the rest of it's life! Or maybe.............?

Custodian 16.12.2010 21:51

Re: Bundesrat wants to remove incest law
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil_MCR (Post 1041196)
frankly, what happens in bed between two consenting adults shouldn't be anyone else's business.

It is'nt, but we all seem to be discussing it.

Noones getting personal!

OK?

OSueco 16.12.2010 22:34

Re: Bundesrat wants to remove incest law
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gastro Gnome (Post 1046932)
Sickos? How terribly judgemental. What business is it of yours what consenting adults get up to in their own bedrooms?

so as long as it does not concern me, means that it is ok?....ok...:confused:
Sorry, I thought it was just me who thought it was wrong that a father and daughter had sexual intercourse...sorry once again since it is not my business...well why not apply this to everything...or? No, wait maybe someone would abuse this things...no..how can that be?

none of my business...case closed...:eek::rolleyes:

OSueco 16.12.2010 22:35

Re: Bundesrat wants to remove incest law
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wollishofener (Post 1046873)
we are not talking here about anybody being pro incest .....

no? :rolleyes:


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 07:43.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0