Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Swiss politics/news  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #81  
Old 26.07.2007, 20:41
Blonaybear's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Blonay
Posts: 1,593
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 836 Times in 432 Posts
Blonaybear has a reputation beyond reputeBlonaybear has a reputation beyond reputeBlonaybear has a reputation beyond reputeBlonaybear has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Security Creation Initiative

Quote:
View Post
Might go for it if there was a similar restriction on travel imposed on the Swiss for similar crimes ie no travel for them outside CH for the same periods for similar sentences/crimes.
I don’t really understand the logic of your thinking here. You say a ‘similar restriction of travel’ but it’s not about travel restrictions.

The question is, if a foreigner has been granted the right to reside in Switzerland and then commits a serious crime should the right of residence be withdrawn. Obviously they would still have their passport and could go wherever they liked (if the country concerned would except them) but they would lose the right to reside in, or visit, Switzerland.

What you are proposing is that if a Swiss is convicted their passport should be withdrawn which is a completely different thing.
Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old 27.07.2007, 09:44
chemgoddess's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: somewhere, USA
Posts: 1,347
Groaned at 41 Times in 37 Posts
Thanked 950 Times in 459 Posts
chemgoddess has an excellent reputationchemgoddess has an excellent reputationchemgoddess has an excellent reputationchemgoddess has an excellent reputation
Re: Security Creation Initiative

http://www.swissinfo.org/eng/front/d...=1151658618000

"Researchers at Bern University concluded that foreigners are seen as "flight risks" by authorities and are therefore more likely to be sent to prison than local criminals."

"The number of crimes committed by foreigners last year was slightly lower than in 2004.

On Thursday the Federal Police Office reported that the number of reported crimes in Switzerland fell last year for the first time in five years.

A total of 303,270 crimes were reported, around 10.5 per cent lower than the previous year and matching 1995 levels."

Oh, and this is just weird to me:

"But domestic violence only became a crime in April 2004 and this reclassification would have had a significant effect on the statistics."
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old 27.07.2007, 11:09
Nathu's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Zürich
Posts: 4,521
Groaned at 18 Times in 16 Posts
Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,248 Posts
Nathu has a reputation beyond reputeNathu has a reputation beyond reputeNathu has a reputation beyond reputeNathu has a reputation beyond reputeNathu has a reputation beyond reputeNathu has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Security Creation Initiative

Without giving my opinion about the initiative, which would require some time...

Quote:
View Post
Oh, and this is just weird to me:

"But domestic violence only became a crime in April 2004 and this reclassification would have had a significant effect on the statistics."
Quote:
View Post
Domestic violence was made an "Offizialdelikt" recently, the authorities have to investigate it even when the suspected victim doesn't make a report.
So they want to say that the domestic violence statistic didn't go up because of more crimes, but probably because a bigger percentage of the crimes is now reported and investigated.
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old 27.07.2007, 11:11
chemgoddess's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: somewhere, USA
Posts: 1,347
Groaned at 41 Times in 37 Posts
Thanked 950 Times in 459 Posts
chemgoddess has an excellent reputationchemgoddess has an excellent reputationchemgoddess has an excellent reputationchemgoddess has an excellent reputation
Re: Security Creation Initiative

Yes, I think they were saying that crime decreased over all between 2004 and 2005 but it may have decreased even more because of the fact that "new" crimes were included.
Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old 27.07.2007, 11:19
Blonaybear's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Blonay
Posts: 1,593
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 836 Times in 432 Posts
Blonaybear has a reputation beyond reputeBlonaybear has a reputation beyond reputeBlonaybear has a reputation beyond reputeBlonaybear has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Security Creation Initiative

Quote:
View Post
http://www.swissinfo.org/eng/front/d...=1151658618000

"Researchers at Bern University concluded that foreigners are seen as "flight risks" by authorities and are therefore more likely to be sent to prison than local criminals."

"The number of crimes committed by foreigners last year was slightly lower than in 2004.

On Thursday the Federal Police Office reported that the number of reported crimes in Switzerland fell last year for the first time in five years.

A total of 303,270 crimes were reported, around 10.5 per cent lower than the previous year and matching 1995 levels."

Oh, and this is just weird to me:

"But domestic violence only became a crime in April 2004 and this reclassification would have had a significant effect on the statistics."
To give you an example of this in the area around Geneva there are crimes committed by people coming over the border from France. If a custodial sentence is considered appropriate then a closed prison, as opposed to an open one, would be more logical as otherwise the prisoner could quite simply walk out back across the border !

Regarding domestic violence, I think that the change referred to is to move it from a civil offence to a criminal one. More here.

Chemgoddess, as you started this thread by asking about the initiative, have you formed any opinion about it know that you know more ?
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old 27.07.2007, 11:30
chemgoddess's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: somewhere, USA
Posts: 1,347
Groaned at 41 Times in 37 Posts
Thanked 950 Times in 459 Posts
chemgoddess has an excellent reputationchemgoddess has an excellent reputationchemgoddess has an excellent reputationchemgoddess has an excellent reputation
Re: Security Creation Initiative

I actually had a very long conversation the other night with a dear Swiss friend of mine. He said he would most likely vote for it. I'm still not convinced that there is anything wrong with the current system as it stands now. As this has never been about, for me at least, that foreign nationals shouldn't be kicked out of Switzerland for committing serious crimes. I was more interested/concerned with the possible abuse of the system for the more minor infractions and booting the entire family if one of the kids does something. My friend thinks though that with the law in place, it will act as a deterrent.

If by chance there are a certain groups of people that have demonstrated in the past a higher tendency to commit crimes perhaps the Swiss government should be more discerning about who they grant asylum to. But again, that could also be interpretted as "racial profiling."

But you do bring up a point I wanted to say something about. Often times the crimes committed by foreigners are by foreigners who aren't even here legally which, I think, gives a bad name to the law-abiding, integrated foreigners that live in Switzerland.

Quote:
View Post
To give you an example of this in the area around Geneva there are crimes committed by people coming over the border from France. If a custodial sentence is considered appropriate then a closed prison, as opposed to an open one, would be more logical as otherwise the prisoner could quite simply walk out back across the border !

Regarding domestic violence, I think that the change referred to is to move it from a civil offence to a criminal one. More here.

Chemgoddess, as you started this thread by asking about the initiative, have you formed any opinion about it know that you know more ?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank chemgoddess for this useful post:
  #87  
Old 27.07.2007, 11:41
Lob's Avatar
Lob Lob is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: -
Posts: 7,795
Groaned at 42 Times in 37 Posts
Thanked 1,973 Times in 1,060 Posts
Lob has a reputation beyond reputeLob has a reputation beyond reputeLob has a reputation beyond reputeLob has a reputation beyond reputeLob has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Security Creation Initiative

I think a lot of this is spin; for every "foreigner" who commits a crime, how many other "foreigners" are living here paying tax and obeying the law? Lots.

The SVP simply drum-up some manipulated stats and whip the conservative voter into shape through these fear tactics.
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old 27.07.2007, 12:26
magyir's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Wallisellen
Posts: 1,625
Groaned at 7 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 501 Times in 346 Posts
magyir has a reputation beyond reputemagyir has a reputation beyond reputemagyir has a reputation beyond reputemagyir has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Security Creation Initiative

Quote:
View Post
I don’t really understand the logic of your thinking here. You say a ‘similar restriction of travel’ but it’s not about travel restrictions.

The question is, if a foreigner has been granted the right to reside in Switzerland and then commits a serious crime should the right of residence be withdrawn. Obviously they would still have their passport and could go wherever they liked (if the country concerned would except them) but they would lose the right to reside in, or visit, Switzerland.

What you are proposing is that if a Swiss is convicted their passport should be withdrawn which is a completely different thing.
I was attempting to propose a quid pro quo measure for the Swiss amounting to a loss of privilege. If foreigners must lose the privilege of residence surely the Swiss should lose an equivalent privilege, the right to travel being a proposal. For example the Swiss could still have an ID which would allow limited travel to EU, but not a passport which would prevent outer-European travel.

Just an idea.
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old 27.07.2007, 12:30
Blonaybear's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Blonay
Posts: 1,593
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 836 Times in 432 Posts
Blonaybear has a reputation beyond reputeBlonaybear has a reputation beyond reputeBlonaybear has a reputation beyond reputeBlonaybear has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Security Creation Initiative

Quote:
View Post
I actually had a very long conversation the other night with a dear Swiss friend of mine. He said he would most likely vote for it. I'm still not convinced that there is anything wrong with the current system as it stands now. As this has never been about, for me at least, that foreign nationals shouldn't be kicked out of Switzerland for committing serious crimes. I was more interested/concerned with the possible abuse of the system for the more minor infractions and booting the entire family if one of the kids does something. My friend thinks though that with the law in place, it will act as a deterrent.

If by chance there are a certain groups of people that have demonstrated in the past a higher tendency to commit crimes perhaps the Swiss government should be more discerning about who they grant asylum to. But again, that could also be interpretted as "racial profiling."

But you do bring up a point I wanted to say something about. Often times the crimes committed by foreigners are by foreigners who aren't even here legally which, I think, gives a bad name to the law-abiding, integrated foreigners that live in Switzerland.
That you ! At last, a reasoned response and not a general rant about racial issues in general !

As far as being more discerning about who asylum is granted to that would definatly be a big NO. Can you imagin the abuse that would rain down upon the Swiss ? They have often been in the position where, proportionally, they have taken in more asylum seekers than just about any other country but they still get criticised for not doing more !

I agree about your last comment about illegal foreigners. Unfortunatly, whatever nationality you are, you are likely to be linked to the activities of your fellow nationals i.e. Bush/Iraq/American.

Here in Swiss Romande the press usually report the nationality and status of anyone convicted of a serious crime. As a consequence it’s hard to ignore the fact that the majority of drug traffickers, for example, always seem to come from the same eastern countries and this is bound to reflect upon their fellow countrymen who may well be law abiding residents.

I don’t know if you follow the news from the UK but this week Gordon Brown has announced that up to 4,000 foreigners are to be deported by the end of the year as their prison sentences come to an end. This has come about because of pressure from the public. Foreigners have been jailed and then released and allowed to remain but so many have gone on to commit further crimes and people have had enough.
Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old 27.07.2007, 14:50
Blonaybear's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Blonay
Posts: 1,593
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 836 Times in 432 Posts
Blonaybear has a reputation beyond reputeBlonaybear has a reputation beyond reputeBlonaybear has a reputation beyond reputeBlonaybear has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Security Creation Initiative

Quote:
View Post
I think a lot of this is spin; for every "foreigner" who commits a crime, how many other "foreigners" are living here paying tax and obeying the law? Lots.

The SVP simply drum-up some manipulated stats and whip the conservative voter into shape through these fear tactics.
The stat I quoted earlier was not from the SVP.

See this Wikipedia reference-linkLanguages_of_Switzerland#Languages which includes this:

While the crime rate among resident foreigners is significantly higher (by a factor 3.7 counting convictions under criminal law in 2003), this is mainly due to the different demographic composition, the non-naturalized population consisting of a significantly higher ratio of young males (according to a statement issued by the federal statistics office in 1996[6]) In 1997, there were for the first time more foreigners than Swiss among the convicts under criminal law (out of a fraction of 20.6% of the total population at the time). In 1999, the Federal Department of Justice and Police ordered a study regarding deliquency and nationality (Arbeitsgruppe "Ausländerkriminalität"), which in its final report (2001) found that a conviction rate under criminal law about 12 times higher among asylum seekers (4%), while the conviction rate among other resident foreigners was about twice as high (0.6%) compared to Swiss citizens (0.3%).[7]
Reply With Quote
  #91  
Old 27.07.2007, 15:03
chemgoddess's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: somewhere, USA
Posts: 1,347
Groaned at 41 Times in 37 Posts
Thanked 950 Times in 459 Posts
chemgoddess has an excellent reputationchemgoddess has an excellent reputationchemgoddess has an excellent reputationchemgoddess has an excellent reputation
Re: Security Creation Initiative

Thanks, that's what I was trying to get at in one of my earlier posts (but didn't have the digits to back it up). That foreigners are more likely to be convicted of a crime than let's say your average Swiss person.

Does anybody know if the statistic that states that 45-50% of all the crime comitted is by foreigners is actually talking about convictions? Because if it is than it doesn't seem to me that half of the crime is being comitted by foreigners.

Quote:
View Post
The stat I quoted earlier was not from the SVP.

See this Wikipedia reference-linkLanguages_of_Switzerland#Languages which includes this:

While the crime rate among resident foreigners is significantly higher (by a factor 3.7 counting convictions under criminal law in 2003), this is mainly due to the different demographic composition, the non-naturalized population consisting of a significantly higher ratio of young males (according to a statement issued by the federal statistics office in 1996[6]) In 1997, there were for the first time more foreigners than Swiss among the convicts under criminal law (out of a fraction of 20.6% of the total population at the time). In 1999, the Federal Department of Justice and Police ordered a study regarding deliquency and nationality (Arbeitsgruppe "Ausländerkriminalität"), which in its final report (2001) found that a conviction rate under criminal law about 12 times higher among asylum seekers (4%), while the conviction rate among other resident foreigners was about twice as high (0.6%) compared to Swiss citizens (0.3%).[7]
Reply With Quote
  #92  
Old 27.07.2007, 15:17
Blonaybear's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Blonay
Posts: 1,593
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 836 Times in 432 Posts
Blonaybear has a reputation beyond reputeBlonaybear has a reputation beyond reputeBlonaybear has a reputation beyond reputeBlonaybear has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Security Creation Initiative

Quote:
View Post
Thanks, that's what I was trying to get at in one of my earlier posts (but didn't have the digits to back it up). That foreigners are more likely to be convicted of a crime than let's say your average Swiss person.

Does anybody know if the statistic that states that 45-50% of all the crime comitted is by foreigners is actually talking about convictions? Because if it is than it doesn't seem to me that half of the crime is being comitted by foreigners.
This article clearly states that it is actual convictions.
Reply With Quote
  #93  
Old 27.07.2007, 15:18
Nairda's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 354
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 147 Times in 79 Posts
Nairda has made some interesting contributions
Re: Security Creation Initiative

When considering stats about foreigners committing crime one has to remember that one of the reasons Switzerland has a high proportion of foreigners is the difficulty in obtaining citizenship by legal long term residents and those born in CH. In many countries a far higher proportion of settled first generation incomers, and certainly their second and third generation children/grandchildren would have citizenship.
Their crimes are then the crimes of nationals, not reported as offences committed by foreigners and the perpetrators aren't liable to deportation.
I'm remain in favour of dealing with the criminality not the nationality and essentially having the same punishment for the same offence.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Nairda for this useful post:
  #94  
Old 27.07.2007, 15:18
Lob's Avatar
Lob Lob is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: -
Posts: 7,795
Groaned at 42 Times in 37 Posts
Thanked 1,973 Times in 1,060 Posts
Lob has a reputation beyond reputeLob has a reputation beyond reputeLob has a reputation beyond reputeLob has a reputation beyond reputeLob has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Security Creation Initiative

what do the naysayers think of a 3-strikes-and-you're-out idea?
Reply With Quote
  #95  
Old 27.07.2007, 15:30
Uncle Max's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Züri
Posts: 7,553
Groaned at 164 Times in 105 Posts
Thanked 8,424 Times in 3,486 Posts
Uncle Max has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Max has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Max has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Max has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Max has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Security Creation Initiative

Quote:
View Post
what do the naysayers think of a 3-strikes-and-you're-out idea?
I have not read all of this thread but feel anything like this goes against the egalitarian spirit. Thin end of wedge, slippery slope etc. It's different strokes for different folks, and with the law that's a bad idea IMO.
Reply With Quote
  #96  
Old 27.07.2007, 15:37
Blonaybear's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Blonay
Posts: 1,593
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 836 Times in 432 Posts
Blonaybear has a reputation beyond reputeBlonaybear has a reputation beyond reputeBlonaybear has a reputation beyond reputeBlonaybear has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Security Creation Initiative

Quote:
View Post
what do the naysayers think of a 3-strikes-and-you're-out idea?
You mean three murders and out ?
Reply With Quote
  #97  
Old 30.07.2007, 12:08
Blonaybear's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Blonay
Posts: 1,593
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 836 Times in 432 Posts
Blonaybear has a reputation beyond reputeBlonaybear has a reputation beyond reputeBlonaybear has a reputation beyond reputeBlonaybear has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Security Creation Initiative

Quote:
View Post
When considering stats about foreigners committing crime one has to remember that one of the reasons Switzerland has a high proportion of foreigners is the difficulty in obtaining citizenship by legal long term residents and those born in CH. In many countries a far higher proportion of settled first generation incomers, and certainly their second and third generation children/grandchildren would have citizenship.
Their crimes are then the crimes of nationals, not reported as offences committed by foreigners and the perpetrators aren't liable to deportation.
I'm remain in favour of dealing with the criminality not the nationality and essentially having the same punishment for the same offence.
The system of naturalisation is currently under review by the government based on a report by The Swiss National Science Foundation – see this.

If naturalisation was simplified it is doubtful if it would make much difference to the numbers. The foreign population figure of 1,670,191 includes 442,407 (30%) persons who are here in short term permits and 44,869 asylum seekers.

C permits account for 1,081,179* (70%) but these include large groups of people who are not inclined, for one reason or another, to want to take Swiss nationality. For example, the Italians and Portuguese account for 465,161 and they tend to come to Switzerland for economic reasons and often return to their country when they retire. Germans (172,580) tend to come here for tax reasons as do many other Europeans who come for work/tax and these account for the vast majority of foreigners.

There are many people quite happy to reside here on a C permit and see no advantage in obtaining a Swiss passport. In fact in can be a disadvantage to have one in some cases. For example, a Brit living here on a C permit can own property and even vote on local issues (depending on canton) and avoid UK Inheritance tax when they die but by not having a Swiss passport they can also avoid Swiss inheritance rules. A win/win situation ! Another example is a young male who chooses not to obtain Swiss nationality and thus avoid military service.

A simplified nationalisation system may increase the number of applicants but I doubt that it would be a significant number. Living here on a C permit is very comfortable !

Getting back to the original issue, if a foreigner can commit a very serious crime and not risk deportation this is saying, in effect, that criminal record would not be considered in permit applications/renewals so it logically follows that you would also have to allow anyone to have a permit even if they are, for example, a convicted drug trafficker. I don’t feel that many Swiss would find that a desirable position.

*(Federal Office for Migration: article 1, article 2)
Reply With Quote
  #98  
Old 02.08.2007, 08:58
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Fribourg
Posts: 288
Groaned at 93 Times in 22 Posts
Thanked 82 Times in 53 Posts
blueshrimp is considered unworthyblueshrimp is considered unworthyblueshrimp is considered unworthy
Re: Security Creation Initiative

On another note, have you guys noticed that the black sheep infamous picture has now been altered?

On the 20 minutes paper that they distribute on the train this morning I saw that it had been changed to show one of the white sheep with a knife (complete with blood squirting out) on it's side.

Not sure that improves the picture.

<shrug>
Reply With Quote
  #99  
Old 02.08.2007, 09:20
cyrus's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Emmenbruecke
Posts: 2,904
Groaned at 37 Times in 34 Posts
Thanked 3,471 Times in 1,513 Posts
cyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Security Creation Initiative

I saw one graffitied by the football stadium in Luzern, I should have got a picture. The white sheep had the Nazi swastika, the black sheep a Judaean star.

I sincerely hope it's ironic.
Reply With Quote
  #100  
Old 02.08.2007, 09:51
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Fribourg
Posts: 288
Groaned at 93 Times in 22 Posts
Thanked 82 Times in 53 Posts
blueshrimp is considered unworthyblueshrimp is considered unworthyblueshrimp is considered unworthy
Re: Security Creation Initiative

Quote:
View Post
I saw one graffitied by the football stadium in Luzern, I should have got a picture. The white sheep had the Nazi swastika, the black sheep a Judaean star.

I sincerely hope it's ironic.

The one you describe seems to me to be a parody of the SVP. Namely, "look what the SVP is advocating, guys" type of statement. Probably not put up by the SVP itself.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
auslaender, bigotry, foreigners, initiatives, swiss politics, xenophobia




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Black Sheep.. Spirit of Jazz General off-topic 3 13.01.2011 22:50
Black sheep out r2d2 Swiss politics/news 1 14.12.2007 09:21
Black Sheep T-shirts Avaialable smbuzby Daily life 2 04.10.2007 16:38


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 15:35.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0