Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Swiss politics/news  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05.04.2011, 21:25
letsgetfunky's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Zürich
Posts: 31
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 11 Times in 5 Posts
letsgetfunky has earned some respectletsgetfunky has earned some respect
It's official: the swiss love mister swiss elections

A story about mister swiss has appeared every single day for the past month in the swiss papers (and by swiss papers I mean 20min and Blick).

Several points are quite interesting:

- the swiss are (to my knowledge) the only people on earth to actually be interested in a Mister election

- The mister election seems more popular in the german speaking part (which leads me to believe more swiss germans are gay than swiss french or swiss italians?)

- swiss taste in men seems exclusively focused on the mediterranean type

- Most of these "typical" swiss men not only don't look swiss, but usually aren't swiss to begin with (the so called secundos) which I find ironic

Generally speaking, I wonder if there is a link between promoting swiss male beauty and the fact that it is more popular in german part. As you know, the german part leans very much toward the right (with SVP being very popular). Seeking the "perfect" swiss man obviously caters to national pride. But it may go further than that. I don't want to link it directly to nazism, but the idea seems to go in a similar direction ("the perfect male (*cough*race*cough*)"). Isn't it strange that the only place in the world where Mister elections are popular just happens to be SVP-Land?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05.04.2011, 21:30
OSueco's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Aargau
Posts: 1,466
Groaned at 317 Times in 193 Posts
Thanked 1,265 Times in 624 Posts
OSueco has a reputation beyond reputeOSueco has a reputation beyond reputeOSueco has a reputation beyond reputeOSueco has a reputation beyond repute
Re: It's official: the swiss love mister swiss elections

yes it's bizarre (yes even miss universe)...who watches that crap anyway?
It's all so hypocritical...just show the bodies for 1 minute because they are judged on that and skip the embarrassing "personality" thingy which nobody cares about anyway...
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05.04.2011, 23:26
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,733
Groaned at 72 Times in 51 Posts
Thanked 3,965 Times in 2,139 Posts
rainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond repute
Re: It's official: the swiss love mister swiss elections

Quote:
View Post
yes it's bizarre (yes even miss universe)...who watches that crap anyway?
It's all so hypocritical...just show the bodies for 1 minute because they are judged on that and skip the embarrassing "personality" thingy which nobody cares about anyway...
Where would that leave the sponsors?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06.04.2011, 00:41
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 18,978
Groaned at 332 Times in 257 Posts
Thanked 11,715 Times in 6,858 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: It's official: the swiss love mister swiss elections

Quote:
View Post
A story about mister swiss has appeared every single day for the past month in the swiss papers (and by swiss papers I mean 20min and Blick).

Several points are quite interesting:

- the swiss are (to my knowledge) the only people on earth to actually be interested in a Mister election

- The mister election seems more popular in the german speaking part (which leads me to believe more swiss germans are gay than swiss french or swiss italians?)

- swiss taste in men seems exclusively focused on the mediterranean type

- Most of these "typical" swiss men not only don't look swiss, but usually aren't swiss to begin with (the so called secundos) which I find ironic

Generally speaking, I wonder if there is a link between promoting swiss male beauty and the fact that it is more popular in german part. As you know, the german part leans very much toward the right (with SVP being very popular). Seeking the "perfect" swiss man obviously caters to national pride. But it may go further than that. I don't want to link it directly to nazism, but the idea seems to go in a similar direction ("the perfect male (*cough*race*cough*)"). Isn't it strange that the only place in the world where Mister elections are popular just happens to be SVP-Land?

A) It is not just only SVP-land but also FDP-land and GLP-land (LDU-land) and CVP-land and even SPS-land !
B) Those secondos not only look "Swiss" but only are excellent in their command of German and have at least TWO pocket knifes with them and have done their go.... duty in military service ....... so what
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06.04.2011, 01:21
Phil_MCR's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 14,742
Groaned at 284 Times in 189 Posts
Thanked 18,634 Times in 7,826 Posts
Phil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond repute
Re: It's official: the swiss love mister swiss elections

are swiss guys more metro than other nationalities?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06.04.2011, 01:21
jj muge's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: BE
Posts: 249
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 189 Times in 108 Posts
jj muge has an excellent reputationjj muge has an excellent reputationjj muge has an excellent reputationjj muge has an excellent reputation
Re: It's official: the swiss love mister swiss elections

from a swissinfo article

The television people don’t seem to be really happy with the ratings. In fact it was a record low with a market share of 26.3%. French language TSR did not cover this year’s show. Italian language TSI decided to not contribute to the production, to not host the show in Ticino anymore. The swiss germans will decide in a few weeks time if the 2012 show will be covered, but they are saying “market shares are not the only decisive factor..some facts for your thesis

now it would be interesting to know how it is in other countries and compare, if it would be interesting...media event
Quote:
View Post
Most of these "typical" swiss men not only don't look swiss, but usually aren't swiss to begin with (the so called secundos) which I find ironic
Yes ironic, as much as you saying secondos are not swiss to begin with. Or are you speaking in svp-tongues here?
Quote:
View Post
I don't want to link it directly to nazism, but
upps..

why is there not more collaboration between the three stations anyway, or exchange between the languages, people, faces..sorry off topic,carry on
__________________
en aff isch en aff
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06.04.2011, 11:33
FCBarca's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: La Côte
Posts: 1,478
Groaned at 133 Times in 69 Posts
Thanked 1,684 Times in 769 Posts
FCBarca has a reputation beyond reputeFCBarca has a reputation beyond reputeFCBarca has a reputation beyond reputeFCBarca has a reputation beyond reputeFCBarca has a reputation beyond repute
Re: It's official: the swiss love mister swiss elections

Seems very Suise ultimately, IMO...On the one hand, in the US, we objectify women in many facets of society and not merely by beauty competitions alone...Can you imagine a 'Mr. USA' competition getting much recognition?...Very unlikely

For me, in the end, this is a reflection of a more balanced society...Of course, neither gender's competitions hold any interest for me
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06.04.2011, 11:43
PaddyG's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Pensier, Fribourg
Posts: 9,243
Groaned at 118 Times in 102 Posts
Thanked 16,857 Times in 5,912 Posts
PaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond repute
Re: It's official: the swiss love mister swiss elections

I've always been somewhat amused by the the fascination with both Miss and Mr. Swiss competitions. The run-up, the competition itself and the winners get far more press-coverage and exposure than in any other country I can think of (Miss GB was an exception last year, as she was also a serving soldier, which was deemed newsworthy).
I wonder if it is the lack of many "real" Swiss celebs? You can hardly miss a day without the mention of at least one of the previous half-dozen Misses Swiss in the papers; just today, there was a whole article in 20mins on Christa Rigozzi making her "breakthrough" in Germany.
__________________
Stealing jokes off the internet and passing them off as my own since 1995
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06.04.2011, 22:41
FMX's Avatar
FMX FMX is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: BE
Posts: 700
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 461 Times in 260 Posts
FMX is considered knowledgeableFMX is considered knowledgeableFMX is considered knowledgeable
Re: It's official: the swiss love mister swiss elections

[QUOTE=PaddyG;1160226]...I wonder if it is the lack of many "real" Swiss celebs?

- Yes, probably. As a "local" myself I can think of a real empathy of the Swiss for their mister/miss Schweiz: in this small country, they are perceived as "the guy/girl next door" many of us know them. Indeed: a former Miss was one my brother's students. That could be a reason to explain the popularity of the show.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06.04.2011, 22:56
letsgetfunky's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Zürich
Posts: 31
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 11 Times in 5 Posts
letsgetfunky has earned some respectletsgetfunky has earned some respect
Re: It's official: the swiss love mister swiss elections

Quote:
View Post
Yes ironic, as much as you saying secondos are not swiss to begin with. Or are you speaking in svp-tongues here?
I'm not saying that secondos aren't real swiss. However, I'm quite certain that most of the people who like mister swiss would not consider these people to be real swiss under different circonstances (See also this thread)
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06.04.2011, 23:15
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 18,978
Groaned at 332 Times in 257 Posts
Thanked 11,715 Times in 6,858 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: It's official: the swiss love mister swiss elections

[QUOTE=jj



why is there not more collaboration between the three stations anyway, or exchange between the languages, people, faces..sorry off topic,carry on[/QUOTE]

For many years, the RTSR had their news facility in Zurich, just beside their colleages. Co-operation was limited. But still, the three stations share interviews and resources
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Wollishofener for this useful post:
  #12  
Old 07.04.2011, 03:02
jj muge's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: BE
Posts: 249
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 189 Times in 108 Posts
jj muge has an excellent reputationjj muge has an excellent reputationjj muge has an excellent reputationjj muge has an excellent reputation
Re: It's official: the swiss love mister swiss elections

Quote:
View Post
I'm not saying that secondos aren't real swiss. However, I'm quite certain that most of the people who like mister swiss would not consider these people to be real swiss under different circonstances (See also this thread)
sorry I misunderstood your post, fair enough.

Well I've only ever heard teenage girls talk in the trains about "the elections", not sure if they (can) vote svp. Until now (why) I've never had a single discussion with anyone about this. Maybe for some there is an element of self-adulation ("see we are beautiful we swiss we"), but I can't see many viewers being people who feel proud about their swissness and getting all swissed up with their flags in front of the TV.

Why are you quite certain?
Maybe it's the other two thirds/half of citizens who watch the show celebrating Switzerland with its secondos, farmers, workers, bankers, students...ok probably not. Maybe this thing (as other ehm things) should be accessible for residents of this country and not just citizens. And maybe not all SVPler have this narrow mindset you seem to suggest. I find it difficult to follow your reasoning, looking at the market share, % of SVP voters, the fact that many SVP voters are not morons.. Of course if you pretend to know what the viewer motivates I see how you can make it work. I'm not sure if it is the best event to analyse the national psyche.
__________________
en aff isch en aff
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07.04.2011, 10:32
Assassin's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chasing clouds
Posts: 4,023
Groaned at 180 Times in 123 Posts
Thanked 11,560 Times in 3,148 Posts
Assassin has a reputation beyond reputeAssassin has a reputation beyond reputeAssassin has a reputation beyond reputeAssassin has a reputation beyond reputeAssassin has a reputation beyond reputeAssassin has a reputation beyond repute
Re: It's official: the swiss love mister swiss elections

Shouldn't there be some kind of "love match" for the winners of the Miss and Mister competitions?

Viewers could call in with position changes and unique camera angles and maybe then the runner up in the Miss event could join in, ah, whatever... another slow day in the assassination trade.

And then who gets the rights to the "Love Baby" TV rights and will they be allowed to endorse any kind of diapers in the making of DVD?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Assassin for this useful post:
  #14  
Old 07.04.2011, 10:35
PaddyG's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Pensier, Fribourg
Posts: 9,243
Groaned at 118 Times in 102 Posts
Thanked 16,857 Times in 5,912 Posts
PaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond repute
Re: It's official: the swiss love mister swiss elections

Quote:
View Post
Shouldn't there be some kind of "love match" for the winners of the Miss and Mister competitions?
That's not so far off, by the looks of it. In yesterday's 20 mins there was (yet) another article on the new Mr. and how his gf happens to be a model and is hot as hell and the Miss organiers want her to enter etc etc
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07.04.2011, 10:59
olygirl's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: d' Innerschwiiz
Posts: 7,618
Groaned at 416 Times in 279 Posts
Thanked 17,914 Times in 5,538 Posts
olygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Re: It's official: the swiss love mister swiss elections

We even have a Swiss Miss competition in a nearby village this weekend. Huge tents have been erected and the local radio station will be doing a live show.

Competition will be for:
- Miss Champion
- Miss Beautiful Utter

http://www.bvsz.ch/eliteschau/Haupt_programm.htm
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 07.04.2011, 11:09
Assassin's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chasing clouds
Posts: 4,023
Groaned at 180 Times in 123 Posts
Thanked 11,560 Times in 3,148 Posts
Assassin has a reputation beyond reputeAssassin has a reputation beyond reputeAssassin has a reputation beyond reputeAssassin has a reputation beyond reputeAssassin has a reputation beyond reputeAssassin has a reputation beyond repute
Re: It's official: the swiss love mister swiss elections

Quote:
View Post
We even have a Swiss Miss competition in a nearby village this weekend. Huge tents have been erected....
Finbarr Saunders lässt Grüssen.....
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Assassin for this useful post:
  #17  
Old 07.04.2011, 12:29
OSueco's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Aargau
Posts: 1,466
Groaned at 317 Times in 193 Posts
Thanked 1,265 Times in 624 Posts
OSueco has a reputation beyond reputeOSueco has a reputation beyond reputeOSueco has a reputation beyond reputeOSueco has a reputation beyond repute
Re: It's official: the swiss love mister swiss elections

Quote:
View Post
I'm not saying that secondos aren't real swiss. However, I'm quite certain that most of the people who like mister swiss would not consider these people to be real swiss under different circonstances (See also this thread)
is not being a "real" swiss a bad thing?
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 07.04.2011, 12:38
Treverus's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Work in ZH, live in SZ
Posts: 12,227
Groaned at 350 Times in 283 Posts
Thanked 23,442 Times in 8,471 Posts
Treverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: It's official: the swiss love mister swiss elections

Quote:
View Post
A story about mister swiss has appeared every single day for the past month in the swiss papers (and by swiss papers I mean 20min and Blick).

Several points are quite interesting:

- the swiss are (to my knowledge) the only people on earth to actually be interested in a Mister election

- The mister election seems more popular in the german speaking part (which leads me to believe more swiss germans are gay than swiss french or swiss italians?)

- swiss taste in men seems exclusively focused on the mediterranean type

- Most of these "typical" swiss men not only don't look swiss, but usually aren't swiss to begin with (the so called secundos) which I find ironic

Generally speaking, I wonder if there is a link between promoting swiss male beauty and the fact that it is more popular in german part. As you know, the german part leans very much toward the right (with SVP being very popular). Seeking the "perfect" swiss man obviously caters to national pride. But it may go further than that. I don't want to link it directly to nazism, but the idea seems to go in a similar direction ("the perfect male (*cough*race*cough*)"). Isn't it strange that the only place in the world where Mister elections are popular just happens to be SVP-Land?
While it is obvious that the mister SWITZERLAND elections are popular here, I find your correlation a bit far fetched. I do not think that it is the SVP Stammtisch sitting in their pub watching the elections and vote for the one they consider the best Übermensch.

The Swiss simply love casting shows of all kinds and voting for the most absurd things has a long tradition here. They also love the Eurovision song contest more than most other nations. Plus: They do not really have any entertainment industry - most music, movies and even TV programmes are imported. So you naturally have a shortage of "celebrities". The people and the media therefore have the need to create "Swiss stars" to keep the 20 minutes entertainment page full...
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Treverus for this useful post:
  #19  
Old 07.04.2011, 12:41
herc82's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1,624
Groaned at 10 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 975 Times in 605 Posts
herc82 has a reputation beyond reputeherc82 has a reputation beyond reputeherc82 has a reputation beyond reputeherc82 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: It's official: the swiss love mister swiss elections

Quote:
View Post
The Swiss simply love casting shows of all kinds and voting for the most absurd things has a long tradition here. They also love the Eurovision song contest more than most other nations.
I just knew that we were a bunch of masochists...
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 07.04.2011, 13:09
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Basel (Week) Nuremberg (WE)
Posts: 30
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Red64 has made some interesting contributions
Re: It's official: the swiss love mister swiss elections

Quote:
View Post
We even have a Swiss Miss competition in a nearby village this weekend. Huge tents have been erected and the local radio station will be doing a live show.

Competition will be for:
- Miss Champion
- Miss Beautiful Utter

http://www.bvsz.ch/eliteschau/Haupt_programm.htm
Udderly Rindiculous!!!
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I love the Swiss! cormac Daily life 45 01.10.2011 04:42
Official Sick leave policy for any Swiss employee:- Sammy123 Permits/visas/government 2 08.10.2010 15:09
Swiss Federal Council – Official Photograph 2009? carcharhinus Swiss politics/news 8 03.01.2010 21:53
It's official: we are now Swiss Karl Daily life 22 06.09.2009 17:34
it's official, at least, swiss employers are racist. zombie Complaints corner 26 14.03.2007 18:18


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 04:11.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0