Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Swiss politics/news  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 14.04.2011, 13:18
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Park where you like in Zurich for 90 days!

Seems the police in Zurich have got their knickers in a twist and are protesting by not issuing parking fines for a period of 90 days. They say they won't even fine minor speeding offences, either.





(sorry if this has already been posted - already did a search and nothing popped up, also, apologies that it's just in German )
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #2  
Old 14.04.2011, 13:20
jrspet's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Quaint Wädenswil, Zürich, CH
Posts: 8,131
Groaned at 27 Times in 20 Posts
Thanked 7,036 Times in 3,912 Posts
jrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Park where you like in Zurich for 90 days!

Crude translation to EN ( replace buses with fines please )
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank jrspet for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 14.04.2011, 13:26
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Zürich
Posts: 206
Groaned at 11 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 255 Times in 109 Posts
ukal123 has an excellent reputationukal123 has an excellent reputationukal123 has an excellent reputationukal123 has an excellent reputation
Re: Park where you like in Zurich for 90 days!

well the lovely woman on our street obviously dose not know about this strike her colleges are doing !
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank ukal123 for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 14.04.2011, 14:18
Corbets's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: DK - previously Zug
Posts: 3,321
Groaned at 168 Times in 122 Posts
Thanked 6,707 Times in 2,237 Posts
Corbets has a reputation beyond reputeCorbets has a reputation beyond reputeCorbets has a reputation beyond reputeCorbets has a reputation beyond reputeCorbets has a reputation beyond reputeCorbets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Park where you like in Zurich for 90 days!

Quote:
Seems the police in Zurich have got their knickers in a twist and are protesting by not issuing parking fines for a period of 90 days. They say they won't even fine minor speeding offences, either.





(sorry if this has already been posted - already did a search and nothing popped up, also, apologies that it's just in German )
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's not only cops that issue fines, right? Don't some laypeople take a training and issue fines as well?

You might be taking a bit of a gamble if you start parking for 5 hours in the blue...
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Corbets for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 15.04.2011, 15:07
kiwiguy08's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Horgen
Posts: 1,333
Groaned at 45 Times in 33 Posts
Thanked 1,031 Times in 522 Posts
kiwiguy08 has a reputation beyond reputekiwiguy08 has a reputation beyond reputekiwiguy08 has a reputation beyond reputekiwiguy08 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Park where you like in Zurich for 90 days!

I'm not sure if this impacts speed cameras
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 15.04.2011, 15:37
Bartholemew's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: back in Zurich (but pining for Brussels periodically)
Posts: 894
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 622 Times in 320 Posts
Bartholemew has a reputation beyond reputeBartholemew has a reputation beyond reputeBartholemew has a reputation beyond reputeBartholemew has a reputation beyond reputeBartholemew has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Park where you like in Zurich for 90 days!

you're correct: a lot of housewives and pensioners write fines for the police, on a commission basis apparently!

Quote:
View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's not only cops that issue fines, right? Don't some laypeople take a training and issue fines as well?

You might be taking a bit of a gamble if you start parking for 5 hours in the blue...
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 15.04.2011, 16:20
Treverus's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Work in ZH, live in SZ
Posts: 12,230
Groaned at 350 Times in 283 Posts
Thanked 23,444 Times in 8,473 Posts
Treverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Park where you like in Zurich for 90 days!

You can all calm down: The STADTPOLIZEI will not issue parking fines anymore. But they only issue 10%... the other 90% are issued by full time traffic wardens, not cops. I cannot at all understand how the media manages to hype this rubbish that high and make everyone believe that you can park for free now...

So:

Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 15.04.2011, 16:34
Rustygraben's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 952
Groaned at 5 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 1,102 Times in 556 Posts
Rustygraben has a reputation beyond reputeRustygraben has a reputation beyond reputeRustygraben has a reputation beyond reputeRustygraben has a reputation beyond reputeRustygraben has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Park where you like in Zurich for 90 days!

Quote:
View Post
You can all calm down: The STADTPOLIZEI will not issue parking fines anymore. But they only issue 10%... the other 90% are issued by full time traffic wardens, not cops. I cannot at all understand how the media manages to hype this rubbish that high and make everyone believe that you can park for free now...
I suspect a stratagem by artful city administrators to deceive drivers into thinking they can commit traffic offences and thereby replenish city coffers thanks to a surge of hefty fines. A condition for this hypothesis to be valid, however, is that city administrators are artful or even are able to plan things ahead, hence I could be wrong.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Rustygraben for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 15.04.2011, 16:34
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 11,602
Groaned at 569 Times in 483 Posts
Thanked 20,838 Times in 10,947 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Park where you like in Zurich for 90 days!

Quote:
View Post
You can all calm down: The STADTPOLIZEI will not issue parking fines anymore. But they only issue 10%... the other 90% are issued by full time traffic wardens, not cops. I cannot at all understand how the media manages to hype this rubbish that high and make everyone believe that you can park for free now...

So:
Yes, the Kommissariats Kontrolle Ruhender Verkehr (KRV) are still issuing tickets.

Reminds me of the time when I lived in England & the local council announced that one Sunday due to a local event people could park on yellow lines during the day.
So I did so park & I did get a parking fine. When I complained I was told "the permission only applied to the yellow lines owned by the council, you were parked on a non-council owned yellow line."
Who knew that the yellow lines had different owners & how do you identify which are which
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank marton for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 15.04.2011, 16:45
mirfield's Avatar
Moddy Wellies
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: North Yorkshire
Posts: 8,726
Groaned at 53 Times in 47 Posts
Thanked 9,915 Times in 3,646 Posts
mirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Park where you like in Zurich for 90 days!

Quote:
View Post
you're correct: a lot of housewives and pensioners write fines for the police, on a commission basis apparently!
I feel embarrassed asking, but is that true?


I live in a country where it could be true. Popular in fact.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank mirfield for this useful post:
  #11  
Old 15.04.2011, 16:56
Treverus's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Work in ZH, live in SZ
Posts: 12,230
Groaned at 350 Times in 283 Posts
Thanked 23,444 Times in 8,473 Posts
Treverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Park where you like in Zurich for 90 days!

Quote:
View Post
I feel embarrassed asking, but is that true?


I live in a country where it could be true. Popular in fact.
I think this is only an indication that traffic wardens don't look that professional here... At least the city of Zurich is improving this unacceptable impression soon: Zurich's traffic warden get new uniforms! 2000 CHF each!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 15.04.2011, 17:18
AbFab's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Zürich
Posts: 8,517
Groaned at 364 Times in 251 Posts
Thanked 12,723 Times in 4,340 Posts
AbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Park where you like in Zurich for 90 days!

Quote:
View Post
I feel embarrassed asking, but is that true?


I live in a country where it could be true. Popular in fact.
Yes. Just have a look round parking bays in Zurich. The electronic ticket dispenser is the only sign of uniform...
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 25.04.2011, 20:55
Bartholemew's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: back in Zurich (but pining for Brussels periodically)
Posts: 894
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 622 Times in 320 Posts
Bartholemew has a reputation beyond reputeBartholemew has a reputation beyond reputeBartholemew has a reputation beyond reputeBartholemew has a reputation beyond reputeBartholemew has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Park where you like in Zurich for 90 days!

The laypeople who write fines on a commission basis is only partly true, I have since learned (after spending a slow afternoon at work looking into a potential career change). They do exist, but they are on a fixed salary. The bit about them earning a cut of every fine they write is apparently a common misconception: they are expected to hit targets on how many they write, but their pay does not rise depending on how many they issue.

Quote:
View Post
I feel embarrassed asking, but is that true?

I live in a country where it could be true. Popular in fact.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
parking fine, police, zurich




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Zurich Linkin Park Claireb82 Concerts 10 29.07.2009 12:42
Anyone tried bike park Zurich Urdorf? philh Sports / Fitness / Beauty / Wellness 2 13.07.2009 22:02
Extend Visitors visa from 30 days to 35 days kfelix18 Permits/visas/government 1 08.03.2008 14:16
Park and Ride Zurich? McCutie8283 Transportation/driving 9 28.08.2007 02:05


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 13:29.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0