Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Swiss politics/news  
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06.07.2011, 17:25
F16 F16 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Spreitenbach
Posts: 191
Groaned at 76 Times in 37 Posts
Thanked 181 Times in 90 Posts
F16 is considered unworthyF16 is considered unworthyF16 is considered unworthyF16 is considered unworthy
Swiss company cancels Swedish cement order bound for the Palestinian territories

Swiss company cancels deal to sell cement to Gaza flotilla organizers

Interbulk to return 25,000 euros to Swedish activists who intended on transporting some 3,000 tons of cement as aid to Gaza on flotilla.



http://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomac...izers-1.371740

Israel blocks import of cement to Gaza, and apparently some Swiss company agrees that Palestinians do not deserve to use cement...
  #2  
Old 06.07.2011, 17:29
grumpygit's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: geneva
Posts: 1,476
Groaned at 29 Times in 16 Posts
Thanked 1,508 Times in 695 Posts
grumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Do Palestinians deserve cement?

I suspect that Interbulk by claiming "Force Majeure" were prevented from performing the contract by elements outside of their control. ie the Greek govt refused permission to load the cement at the designated port of loading.
The following 2 users would like to thank grumpygit for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 06.07.2011, 17:45
Confloozed's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 4,801
Groaned at 104 Times in 91 Posts
Thanked 4,965 Times in 2,360 Posts
Confloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Do Palestinians deserve cement?

I don't know. Are western companies allowed to sell chemical products through a 3rd country party to Iran more sympathetic to rights issues then others?

How on earth are the people of Palestine supposed to go further in a peaceful state if they can't even build a house or irrigation for a toilet system? I wasn't aware the were building Katusha rockets out of cement these days.

Keeping the people down, longer, will only add to extremist, and basic human beliefs that if you can't allow a person to live, dying to to achieve that not only more likely, but rather a necessity.
This user would like to thank Confloozed for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 06.07.2011, 17:45
tearley's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Lausanne (Vaud)
Posts: 428
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 409 Times in 190 Posts
tearley has an excellent reputationtearley has an excellent reputationtearley has an excellent reputationtearley has an excellent reputation
Re: Do Palestinians deserve cement?

I think that would be unusual if a company went all social activist like that...
  #5  
Old 06.07.2011, 17:45
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 12,361
Groaned at 338 Times in 274 Posts
Thanked 26,263 Times in 11,000 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Do Palestinians deserve cement?

The main ingredient of cement is limestone is it not? And there's plenty of that in Palestine. So why on Earth are they importing Swiss cement?
  #6  
Old 06.07.2011, 17:53
Confloozed's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 4,801
Groaned at 104 Times in 91 Posts
Thanked 4,965 Times in 2,360 Posts
Confloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Do Palestinians deserve cement?

Quote:
View Post
The main ingredient of cement is limestone is it not? And there's plenty of that in Palestine. So why on Earth are they importing Swiss cement?
There's alot of limestone in the states and we import plenty of cement from else where as well. It could be cheaper to "refine" it outside, as the facilities in that tiny territory are limited.
  #7  
Old 06.07.2011, 17:53
F16 F16 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Spreitenbach
Posts: 191
Groaned at 76 Times in 37 Posts
Thanked 181 Times in 90 Posts
F16 is considered unworthyF16 is considered unworthyF16 is considered unworthyF16 is considered unworthy
Re: Do Palestinians deserve cement?

Quote:
View Post
The main ingredient of cement is limestone is it not? And there's plenty of that in Palestine. So why on Earth are they importing Swiss cement?
after your ingenious suggestion Palestinians may indeed stop importing cement, only if they read EF threads...
This user would like to thank F16 for this useful post:
This user groans at F16 for this post:
  #8  
Old 06.07.2011, 17:55
F16 F16 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Spreitenbach
Posts: 191
Groaned at 76 Times in 37 Posts
Thanked 181 Times in 90 Posts
F16 is considered unworthyF16 is considered unworthyF16 is considered unworthyF16 is considered unworthy
Re: Do Palestinians deserve cement?

Quote:
View Post
The main ingredient of cement is limestone is it not? And there's plenty of that in Palestine. So why on Earth are they importing Swiss cement?
here, I will change the title of the thread to: "do Palestinians deserve Swiss cement?"
This user would like to thank F16 for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 06.07.2011, 18:13
i_like_turtles's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Zurich
Posts: 113
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 139 Times in 49 Posts
i_like_turtles has earned the respect of manyi_like_turtles has earned the respect of manyi_like_turtles has earned the respect of many
Re: Do Palestinians deserve cement?

Quote:
View Post
...and apparently some Swiss company agrees that Palestinians do not deserve to use cement...
I don't know why you're blaming the Swiss company, as grumpygit has already indicated it's not their fault. The Greeks have a ban in place on all ships leaving for Gaza. http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking...ry_686693.html

Quote:
Greece's Civil Protection Authority confirmed on Saturday that the ban on departures of ships 'with Greek and foreign flags from Greek ports to the maritime area of Gaza' was in place 'until further notice.' The ban had been imposed in light of 'the need to protect national interests' as well as 'the immediate dangers to human life posed by the attempt to break the blockade,' a statement said.
This user would like to thank i_like_turtles for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 07.07.2011, 10:50
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 12,361
Groaned at 338 Times in 274 Posts
Thanked 26,263 Times in 11,000 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Do Palestinians deserve cement?

Quote:
View Post
There's alot of limestone in the states and we import plenty of cement from else where as well. It could be cheaper to "refine" it outside, as the facilities in that tiny territory are limited.
But the USA doesn't face embargoes and restrictions of the type Palestine does. And a cement kiln is realtively low-tech and shouldn't be too difficult to rig up. And with the high unemployment and low costs of labour that the Palestine territories have I don't think it matters that they don't have the latest high-tech methods. Sometimes labour can be chaaper than technology. Even the ancient Romans knew how to make cement and many of their buildings are still standing today.

If they were being cut off from water or medical supplies I would see that there is a crisis. But cement? honestly? Next they'll be telling us they can't import rocks either.
This user would like to thank amogles for this useful post:
  #11  
Old 07.07.2011, 10:52
grumpygit's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: geneva
Posts: 1,476
Groaned at 29 Times in 16 Posts
Thanked 1,508 Times in 695 Posts
grumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Do Palestinians deserve cement?

Quote:
View Post
But the USA doesn't face embargoes and restrictions of the type Palestine does. And a cement kiln is realtively low-tech and shouldn't be too difficult to rig up.
and its fairly easy to find it at 10000 ft on the hud of a fighter jet
  #12  
Old 07.07.2011, 11:29
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Canton Solothurn
Posts: 38
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 47 Times in 15 Posts
silkweaver is considered knowledgeablesilkweaver is considered knowledgeablesilkweaver is considered knowledgeable
Re: Do Palestinians deserve cement?

Quote:
View Post
If they were being cut off from water or medical supplies I would see that there is a crisis. But cement? honestly? Next they'll be telling us they can't import rocks either.
Sadly - this happens often enough, palestinian quarters being cut off from water, electricity and gas. And it's not recent, it happened these past 10 years over and over again.
  #13  
Old 07.07.2011, 12:56
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 18,978
Groaned at 332 Times in 257 Posts
Thanked 11,715 Times in 6,858 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
View Post
Swiss company cancels deal to sell cement to Gaza flotilla organizers

Interbulk to return 25,000 euros to Swedish activists who intended on transporting some 3,000 tons of cement as aid to Gaza on flotilla.



http://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomac...izers-1.371740

Israel blocks import of cement to Gaza, and apparently some Swiss company agrees that Palestinians do not deserve to use cement...
NO, that Swiss company does NOT agree to this, but clearly regards the governments of Greece and Israel as "force majeure" which means equivalent to pest & cholera & earthquakes & thunderstorms .

Quote:
View Post
I don't know. Are western companies allowed to sell chemical products through a 3rd country party to Iran more sympathetic to rights issues then others?

How on earth are the people of Palestine supposed to go further in a peaceful state if they can't even build a house or irrigation for a toilet system? I wasn't aware the were building Katusha rockets out of cement these days.

Keeping the people down, longer, will only add to extremist, and basic human beliefs that if you can't allow a person to live, dying to to achieve that not only more likely, but rather a necessity.
If a company wants to deliver cement to the Gaza Territory it has to deliver the stuff to somebody in the el-Arish Directorate, who will then organize the onward-transportation into Gaza via the now open Egypt-Gaza border

Quote:
View Post
The main ingredient of cement is limestone is it not? And there's plenty of that in Palestine. So why on Earth are they importing Swiss cement?

As THIS compilation reveals

Exports: Gaza and W. Bank $682 million Commodities:
W. Bank olives, fruit, vegetables, limestone;
Gaza citrus, flowers
Exports partners:
W. Bank Israel, Jordan, Gaza Strip;
Gaza Israel, Egypt, W. Bank
Imports:
W. Bank and Gaza $2.5 billion Commodities: food, consumer goods, construction materials

there is no limestone in the Gaza-Territory !! and you will rather get a Camel through the needle-hole than a kilo of cement from Palestine to Gaza

Last edited by economisto; 07.07.2011 at 15:24.
This user would like to thank Wollishofener for this useful post:
  #14  
Old 07.07.2011, 13:18
resident
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Swiss company cancels Swedish cement order bound for the Palestinian territories

Here is the list of goods you are allowed to send to Gaza.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/shared/bsp/h...azaimports.pdf

Goods must go over an Israeli port where the shipment is searched for contraband. The cleared goods are then sent on by Israel.

Cement is banned because it can be used for building bunkers and reinforcing tunnels. Gaza is like a rabbit warren underground. When the Israeli army has to go in, they send dogs down to ferret the Palestinians out.

Edit: Note that the West bank and Gaza pose different threats and are therefore handled differently.

Edit 2: The list is from April 2010. I don't know what applies now.

The now-open Egyptian border does indeed change things on the ground, as W has pointed out.

Last edited by resident; 07.07.2011 at 13:28.
  #15  
Old 07.07.2011, 14:00
NotAllThere's Avatar
Modulo 2
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Baselland
Posts: 15,244
Groaned at 312 Times in 268 Posts
Thanked 23,650 Times in 9,618 Posts
NotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss company cancels Swedish cement order bound for the Palestinian territories

...
Quote:
Israel blocks import of cement to Gaza, and apparently some Swiss company agrees that Palestinians do not deserve to use cement...
Apparently a Swiss company decides not to ship to a country they cannot legally ship to. ( Even if the legality is ...erm... illegal).

So really this thread should be retitled. "Israeli embargo on cement to Gaza still in place".
This user would like to thank NotAllThere for this useful post:
  #16  
Old 07.07.2011, 14:51
F16 F16 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Spreitenbach
Posts: 191
Groaned at 76 Times in 37 Posts
Thanked 181 Times in 90 Posts
F16 is considered unworthyF16 is considered unworthyF16 is considered unworthyF16 is considered unworthy
Re: Swiss company cancels Swedish cement order bound for the Palestinian territories

Quote:
View Post
Here is the list of goods you are allowed to send to Gaza.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/shared/bsp/h...azaimports.pdf

Goods must go over an Israeli port where the shipment is searched for contraband. The cleared goods are then sent on by Israel.

Cement is banned because it can be used for building bunkers and reinforcing tunnels. Gaza is like a rabbit warren underground. When the Israeli army has to go in, they send dogs down to ferret the Palestinians out.

Edit: Note that the West bank and Gaza pose different threats and are therefore handled differently.

Edit 2: The list is from April 2010. I don't know what applies now.

The now-open Egyptian border does indeed change things on the ground, as W has pointed out.

but, why do they want to make bunkers and tunnels? could it be because they want to shelter their children when bombs start falling, or that they need tunnels to bring in medical supplies, food and such?

and, how would they re-build their houses when they are blown away by bombs and razed by bulldozers? Should they just use animal dung instead of cement?

my attempts as sarcasm should not be taken indicative of my amusement of your comment, i am quite appalled actually
This user would like to thank F16 for this useful post:
  #17  
Old 07.07.2011, 15:00
NotAllThere's Avatar
Modulo 2
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Baselland
Posts: 15,244
Groaned at 312 Times in 268 Posts
Thanked 23,650 Times in 9,618 Posts
NotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss company cancels Swedish cement order bound for the Palestinian territories

Quote:
View Post
but, why do they want to make bunkers and tunnels? could it be because they want to shelter their children when bombs start falling, or that they need tunnels to bring in medical supplies, food and such?...
Or could it be to smuggle in weaponry, to be able to gain access to enemy territory to launch raids, to be able to ambush enemy soldiers/convoys, to be able to take cover when you've successfully launched an attack on the enemy?

That's what the Viet Cong used them for. Most effectively.

btw - welcome to the forums. Why not introduce yourself in the introductions forum?
This user would like to thank NotAllThere for this useful post:
  #18  
Old 07.07.2011, 15:02
F16 F16 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Spreitenbach
Posts: 191
Groaned at 76 Times in 37 Posts
Thanked 181 Times in 90 Posts
F16 is considered unworthyF16 is considered unworthyF16 is considered unworthyF16 is considered unworthy
Re: Swiss company cancels Swedish cement order bound for the Palestinian territories

Quote:
View Post
Or could it be to smuggle in weaponry, to be able to gain access to enemy territory to launch raids, to be able to ambush enemy soldiers/convoys, to be able to take cover when you've successfully launched an attack on the enemy?

That's what the Viet Cong used them for. Most effectively.

not sure if that is the purpose of tunnels, but nevertheless, that sounds like pretty common military tactics to me...whats the problem here?

do you have issues with a people trying to arm themselves to protect themselves?
  #19  
Old 07.07.2011, 15:03
NotAllThere's Avatar
Modulo 2
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Baselland
Posts: 15,244
Groaned at 312 Times in 268 Posts
Thanked 23,650 Times in 9,618 Posts
NotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss company cancels Swedish cement order bound for the Palestinian territories

Quote:
View Post
not sure if that is the purpose of tunnels, but nevertheless, that sounds like pretty common military tactics to me...whats the problem here?

do you have issues with a people trying to arm themselves to protect themselves?
No. But the Israelis do, (well, they have issues with people launching attacks on their people) and that's why they've put an embargo on cement. See here.
  #20  
Old 07.07.2011, 15:08
F16 F16 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Spreitenbach
Posts: 191
Groaned at 76 Times in 37 Posts
Thanked 181 Times in 90 Posts
F16 is considered unworthyF16 is considered unworthyF16 is considered unworthyF16 is considered unworthy
Re: Swiss company cancels Swedish cement order bound for the Palestinian territories

Quote:
View Post
No. But the Israelis do, (well, they have issues with people launching attacks on their people) and that's why they've put an embargo on cement. See here.

gee, they once put an embargo on parsley. listening to their explanations about such nonsense is very naive
Closed Thread

Tags
politics




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Swiss cancels London City to Basel route quark Travel/day trips/free time 43 06.05.2012 00:47
Swiss/Australian bound for Ticino renji Introductions 6 28.02.2011 23:15
Contract with non-Swiss company - self-employed or through payroll company Forfiter Finance/banking/taxation 2 17.01.2011 09:45
Swiss Farmers Shirt by Mail Order? EdF Other/general 18 16.09.2008 22:12
Swiss Mystery #4 - name of those cement collumns Guest Daily life 9 04.08.2006 11:30


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:58.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0