Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Swiss politics/news  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #221  
Old 26.10.2011, 19:03
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Winterthur
Posts: 126
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 27 Times in 24 Posts
schutsim has no particular reputation at present
Re: Swiss Federal Elections 2011

Thank you very much for explaining. By better list alliances, do you mean adding them up and expanding them to rather 3 other parties than one?
Reply With Quote
  #222  
Old 06.11.2011, 11:41
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 10,686
Groaned at 356 Times in 307 Posts
Thanked 14,025 Times in 7,715 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss Federal Elections 2011

I did not realise how difficult it would be for the SVP to select a candidate for the fabled second Bundesrat seat.

Seems to be a general lack of enthusiasm, I wonder why? some ideas below - please add or select your views/ideas
  • want to spend more time with the family
  • too much work for little reward
  • wants to have independent views but cannot face the ensuing party conflicts
  • fear of failure
Reply With Quote
  #223  
Old 07.11.2011, 00:57
tomberli's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Richterswil, ZH
Posts: 227
Groaned at 8 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 277 Times in 121 Posts
tomberli has earned the respect of manytomberli has earned the respect of manytomberli has earned the respect of many
Re: Swiss Federal Elections 2011

Quote:
View Post
I did not realise how difficult it would be for the SVP to select a candidate for the fabled second Bundesrat seat.

Seems to be a general lack of enthusiasm, I wonder why? some ideas below - please add or select your views/ideas
  • want to spend more time with the family
  • too much work for little reward
  • wants to have independent views but cannot face the ensuing party conflicts
  • fear of failure
Wouldn't worry too much - this seems fairly standard procedure before Bundesrat elections. Noone wants to stand out too much to early as generally "powerhungry" personalities don't go down too well in Switzerland (especially since the Bundesrat is elected by the whole parliament, not just picked by the party).

They'll present someone early enough...
Reply With Quote
  #224  
Old 08.11.2011, 13:20
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 10,686
Groaned at 356 Times in 307 Posts
Thanked 14,025 Times in 7,715 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss Federal Elections 2011

Quote:
View Post
Wouldn't worry too much - this seems fairly standard procedure before Bundesrat elections. Noone wants to stand out too much to early as generally "powerhungry" personalities don't go down too well in Switzerland (especially since the Bundesrat is elected by the whole parliament, not just picked by the party).

They'll present someone early enough...
About " fairly standard procedure before Bundesrat elections. "

Not my impression; seems more like a disorganised shambles. 5 weeks to go and no candidate; not even a short list.
About "Noone wants to stand out too much to early as generally "powerhungry" personalities ..." Also not my impression, the SVP pick their candidates on a party basis; individuals are not allowed to put themselves forward c.f Widmer-Schlumpf.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank marton for this useful post:
  #225  
Old 11.11.2011, 14:27
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 10,686
Groaned at 356 Times in 307 Posts
Thanked 14,025 Times in 7,715 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss Federal Elections 2011

Quote:
View Post
About " fairly standard procedure before Bundesrat elections. "

Not my impression; seems more like a disorganised shambles. 5 weeks to go and no candidate; not even a short list.
About "Noone wants to stand out too much to early as generally "powerhungry" personalities ..." Also not my impression, the SVP pick their candidates on a party basis; individuals are not allowed to put themselves forward c.f Widmer-Schlumpf.
SVP selection does not seem to be moving forward except 2 possible candidates, Peter Spuhler & Roland Eberle, have already ruled themselves out.

According to the papers Blocher has sent out 100,000+ letters to car driving voters in the Zürich area saying something like "vote for me or petrol prices will rise to 4 CHF/litre". So he is still pushing his Ständersrat candidatcy. I did not get a letter but I guess that does not mean much; anyway I voted over one week ago
Reply With Quote
  #226  
Old 13.11.2011, 17:41
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 19,037
Groaned at 333 Times in 258 Posts
Thanked 11,716 Times in 6,858 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss Federal Elections 2011

Quote:
View Post
SVP selection does not seem to be moving forward except 2 possible candidates, Peter Spuhler & Roland Eberle, have already ruled themselves out.

According to the papers Blocher has sent out 100,000+ letters to car driving voters in the Zürich area saying something like "vote for me or petrol prices will rise to 4 CHF/litre". So he is still pushing his Ständersrat candidatcy. I did not get a letter but I guess that does not mean much; anyway I voted over one week ago
While the stance of business tycoon Peter Spuhler is fairly clear, I after having seen an interview with Mr Eberle can well imagine that man jumping forward at an appropriate moment. And let's not forget Mr Giezendanner, the "man of the reserve". The SVP management does not particularily love that man who is always up for non-SVP positions and would not be a Bundesrat easily to be manipulated by the party-leadership. Or Mr Blocher tries it again
Reply With Quote
  #227  
Old 13.11.2011, 18:10
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 10,686
Groaned at 356 Times in 307 Posts
Thanked 14,025 Times in 7,715 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss Federal Elections 2011

Quote:
View Post
While the stance of business tycoon Peter Spuhler is fairly clear, I after having seen an interview with Mr Eberle can well imagine that man jumping forward at an appropriate moment. And let's not forget Mr Giezendanner, the "man of the reserve". The SVP management does not particularily love that man who is always up for non-SVP positions and would not be a Bundesrat easily to be manipulated by the party-leadership. Or Mr Blocher tries it again
About "Or Mr Blocher tries it again" - would not surprise me; I can imagine him saying "no better candidate came forward...."
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank marton for this useful post:
  #228  
Old 14.11.2011, 14:36
tomberli's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Richterswil, ZH
Posts: 227
Groaned at 8 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 277 Times in 121 Posts
tomberli has earned the respect of manytomberli has earned the respect of manytomberli has earned the respect of many
Re: Swiss Federal Elections 2011

Quote:
View Post
According to the papers Blocher has sent out 100,000+ letters to car driving voters in the Zürich area saying something like "vote for me or petrol prices will rise to 4 CHF/litre".
To be fair, that wasn't Mr. Blocher - nor was it approved by SVP. It was Michael Dreher - wellk known nutter from Schaffhausen and founder of the "Car-party" (Auto-Partei) as an antipode to the greens (has long since dissapeared). The real question is where did he get the addressed from apparently all the car-holders of Zurich. Official government sources have quickly denied and investigations are currently ongoing as it is a clear breach of data protection. However, turns out that his "reliable, independant source" may not have been so ful of wisdom after all as over 400 letters have apparently been sent to dead people...
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank tomberli for this useful post:
  #229  
Old 16.11.2011, 16:54
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 10,686
Groaned at 356 Times in 307 Posts
Thanked 14,025 Times in 7,715 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss Federal Elections 2011

Quote:
View Post
While the stance of business tycoon Peter Spuhler is fairly clear, I after having seen an interview with Mr Eberle can well imagine that man jumping forward at an appropriate moment. And let's not forget Mr Giezendanner, the "man of the reserve". The SVP management does not particularily love that man who is always up for non-SVP positions and would not be a Bundesrat easily to be manipulated by the party-leadership. Or Mr Blocher tries it again
Hannes Germann (who?) is SVP Bundesrat candidate, seems harmless
Reply With Quote
  #230  
Old 17.11.2011, 15:43
tomberli's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Richterswil, ZH
Posts: 227
Groaned at 8 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 277 Times in 121 Posts
tomberli has earned the respect of manytomberli has earned the respect of manytomberli has earned the respect of many
Re: Swiss Federal Elections 2011

Quote:
View Post
Hannes Germann (who?) is SVP Bundesrat candidate, seems harmless
He's been Staenderat for Schaffhausen for quite a while now and is quite respected there. He's on of the few SVO members who can get votes outside of his own party. He's also not nearly as right wing as most of the rest of his party. He does - for example - support the move away from Nuclear Power.
Reply With Quote
  #231  
Old 17.11.2011, 15:58
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 10,686
Groaned at 356 Times in 307 Posts
Thanked 14,025 Times in 7,715 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss Federal Elections 2011

Quote:
View Post
To be fair, that wasn't Mr. Blocher - nor was it approved by SVP. It was Michael Dreher - wellk known nutter from Schaffhausen and founder of the "Car-party" (Auto-Partei) as an antipode to the greens (has long since dissapeared). The real question is where did he get the addressed from apparently all the car-holders of Zurich. Official government sources have quickly denied and investigations are currently ongoing as it is a clear breach of data protection. However, turns out that his "reliable, independant source" may not have been so ful of wisdom after all as over 400 letters have apparently been sent to dead people...
About "The real question is where did he get the addresses from apparently all the car-holders of Zurich"
Another good question is where did he get the money from? If he really sent 100,000 letters then it must have cost at least a quarter of a million.

Blocher has that sort of money available but he wasn't involved.

Do you think Mr Dreher has that sort of pocket money?
Reply With Quote
  #232  
Old 17.11.2011, 16:00
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 10,686
Groaned at 356 Times in 307 Posts
Thanked 14,025 Times in 7,715 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss Federal Elections 2011

Quote:
View Post
He's been Staenderat for Schaffhausen for quite a while now and is quite respected there. He's on of the few SVO members who can get votes outside of his own party. He's also not nearly as right wing as most of the rest of his party. He does - for example - support the move away from Nuclear Power.
He does sound harmless then & likely to do as he is told
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bundesrat, council, elections, federal, parliament, svp 2011




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
UK Voting System Referendum and local elections 5th May 2011 Deep Purple International affairs/politics 33 07.05.2011 07:25
It's official: the swiss love mister swiss elections letsgetfunky Swiss politics/news 32 08.04.2011 14:35
2011: SVP influence on Elections in Switzerland MrVertigo Swiss politics/news 15 14.02.2011 22:11
Swiss parliament: why only 6 seats for Federal Councilors MrVertigo Swiss politics/news 14 28.11.2010 11:29
Bundesratswahlen --- Elections of 2 members of the Federal Council, ... Wollishofener Swiss politics/news 16 23.08.2010 21:54


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 00:50.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0