Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Swiss politics/news  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1341  
Old 10.02.2014, 21:38
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 1,986
Groaned at 69 Times in 52 Posts
Thanked 5,074 Times in 1,802 Posts
crazygringo has a reputation beyond reputecrazygringo has a reputation beyond reputecrazygringo has a reputation beyond reputecrazygringo has a reputation beyond reputecrazygringo has a reputation beyond reputecrazygringo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Masseneinwanderung Stoppen [initiative to limit immigration]

Quote:
View Post
Wozzat?
sorry. I asked if he seriously wanted only Swiss citizens working all the construction jobs. or at least I think that's what I asked.

Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank crazygringo for this useful post:
  #1342  
Old 10.02.2014, 21:38
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Masseneinwanderung Stoppen [initiative to limit immigration]

Quote:
View Post
Wozzat?
Portuguese, probably...
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #1343  
Old 10.02.2014, 21:39
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 9,617
Groaned at 405 Times in 349 Posts
Thanked 17,186 Times in 9,250 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Masseneinwanderung Stoppen [initiative to limit immigration]

This how the Swiss National football team looks like after the vote.

BTW, for the dim bulbs amongst us this is a joke.

I assume there is a similar diagram somewhere for big businesses

Last edited by marton; 08.12.2017 at 18:38.
Reply With Quote
The following 17 users would like to thank marton for this useful post:
  #1344  
Old 10.02.2014, 21:41
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: basel
Posts: 24
Groaned at 23 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 107 Times in 22 Posts
expatinch has earned some respectexpatinch has earned some respect
Re: Masseneinwanderung Stoppen [initiative to limit immigration]

Quote:
View Post
I only expected that foreigners have some respect for the people who they are guests to ... but I can see this is not the case with the majority of foreigners on this thread - and I hope that that majority are working at jobs which in the next few years can be taken over by Swiss people! - That will free you all up to go back to your countries where you don't have to deal with the "racist", "ignorant" Swiss!

Seriously EAB, is picking a fight a hobby for you? It must be, because you came to one of the few places native English speakers can talk about topics. Of course Expats here are uncomfortable, we have enticed to come here, some of us years ago, coming here because of promises that our hosts are pretty much breaking. We do not know to what lengths these measures will impact our social interaction, keeping our jobs, right to unemployment and AVH which WE PAY TOWARDS like any Swiss person, or exactly what overt and passive further measures will be made by our hosts.

Do you invite people to your home, and decide you do not like them being there after they have traveled far to respond to your invitation? It is not just the Guest that can be rude and not just the Guest who should have respect. And as guests, it will cost us a lot of money and effort if this turns further south, which is not outside the realm of possibility.

So, jeer at our discomfort and covet taking our jobs. However, if 15% of your workforce is foreign nationals, and Swiss nationals are less than 2% unemployed, who is going to do the other 13% of the work after we are gone and you will not let any others in? My job was needed for economic growth, services I have developed and managed have delivered millions in new revenue for the Swiss economy and created over 40 new Swiss jobs since I got here, and it stood open for 14 months without a Swiss person both willing and able to fill it. It is not my fault that there was no one capable of doing this job, and as a non EU person, my employer had to go to great lengths to justify bringing me here.

In the future, the way things are shaping up... perhaps jobs like mine will not be filled and there will be less "economy" to go around. I am certain I have given more than I have taken. I was enticed to come with my family. If I received this request to come here and work today, after the people have voted their welcome towards people like me is very limited, I would not. I am just one person, but you may need skills not available in country in your economy some day, and you may not find takers.

All that being said, I love Switzerland, and so far, though not without its trials, it has been the best 5 years of my life.
Reply With Quote
The following 13 users would like to thank expatinch for this useful post:
  #1345  
Old 10.02.2014, 21:43
OSueco's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Aargau
Posts: 1,469
Groaned at 317 Times in 193 Posts
Thanked 1,265 Times in 624 Posts
OSueco has a reputation beyond reputeOSueco has a reputation beyond reputeOSueco has a reputation beyond reputeOSueco has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Masseneinwanderung Stoppen [initiative to limit immigration]

Quote:
View Post
... I was not prepared for the anti-Swiss tone that I have seen all over this forum. People who are not forced to live here complaining about the Swiss constantly!!..
Just because me as a foreigners don't agree on everything here doesn't make me an anti-swiss…many of us here do believe that something has to be done, but the way SVP suggests and their reasoning is not believable, been here long enough to know that…have you?

SVP does not equals Switzerland...
Reply With Quote
The following 6 users would like to thank OSueco for this useful post:
  #1346  
Old 10.02.2014, 21:43
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 9,617
Groaned at 405 Times in 349 Posts
Thanked 17,186 Times in 9,250 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Masseneinwanderung Stoppen [initiative to limit immigration]

Quote:
View Post
Seriously EAB, is picking a fight a hobby for you? It must be, because you came to one of the few places native English speakers can talk about topics. Of course Expats here are uncomfortable, we have enticed to come here, some of us years ago, coming here because of promises that our hosts are pretty much breaking. We do not know to what lengths these measures will impact our social interaction, keeping our jobs, right to unemployment and AVH which WE PAY TOWARDS like any Swiss person, or exactly what overt and passive further measures will be made by our hosts.

Do you invite people to your home, and decide you do not like them being there after they have traveled far to respond to your invitation? It is not just the Guest that can be rude and not just the Guest who should have respect. And as guests, it will cost us a lot of money and effort if this turns further south, which is not outside the realm of possibility.

So, jeer at our discomfort and covet taking our jobs. However, if 15% of your workforce is foreign nationals, and Swiss nationals are less than 2% unemployed, who is going to do the other 13% of the work after we are gone and you will not let any others in? My job was needed for economic growth, services I have developed and managed have delivered millions in new revenue for the Swiss economy and created over 40 new Swiss jobs since I got here, and it stood open for 14 months without a Swiss person both willing and able to fill it. It is not my fault that there was no one capable of doing this job, and as a non EU person, my employer had to go to great lengths to justify bringing me here.

In the future, the way things are shaping up... perhaps jobs like mine will not be filled and there will be less "economy" to go around. I am certain I have given more than I have taken. I was enticed to come with my family. If I received this request to come here and work today, after the people have voted their welcome towards people like me is very limited, I would not. I am just one person, but you may need skills not available in country in your economy some day, and you may not find takers.

All that being said, I love Switzerland, and so far, though not without its trials, it has been the best 5 years of my life.
Well said and very true; sadly to mostly the wrong audience....
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank marton for this useful post:
  #1347  
Old 10.02.2014, 21:44
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Ticino
Posts: 2,875
Groaned at 91 Times in 63 Posts
Thanked 3,662 Times in 1,473 Posts
Snoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Masseneinwanderung Stoppen [initiative to limit immigration]

We're not throwing everyone out...just the people we don't want....

Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Snoopy for this useful post:
  #1348  
Old 10.02.2014, 21:44
john96's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: 4036
Posts: 35
Groaned at 27 Times in 13 Posts
Thanked 34 Times in 18 Posts
john96 has slipped a little
Re: Masseneinwanderung Stoppen [initiative to limit immigration]

Quote:
View Post
Funny you should mention Albanians ... I think we got a few around here as well. They might speak better German than me, but they do not mingle with other Swiss people. They only, and I mean ONLY, mingle with their own.
That is very true!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank john96 for this useful post:
The following 2 users groan at john96 for this post:
  #1349  
Old 10.02.2014, 21:48
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 9,617
Groaned at 405 Times in 349 Posts
Thanked 17,186 Times in 9,250 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Masseneinwanderung Stoppen [initiative to limit immigration]

Quote:
View Post
Just because me as a foreigners don't agree on everything here doesn't make me an anti-swiss…many of us here do believe that something has to be done, but they way SVP suggests and their reasoning is not believable, been here long enough to know that…have you?

SVP does not equals Switzerland...

About "SVP does not equals Switzerland.." True but what does SVP equal? You have one mega rich guy who pours multi-millions in cash into his hobbies.

So what is the SVP? A glove puppet?

SVP originally used to represent the farming community but this latest initiative was actually rejected by the farmers - so who is the SVP representing?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank marton for this useful post:
  #1350  
Old 10.02.2014, 21:49
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Geneva
Posts: 226
Groaned at 13 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 284 Times in 110 Posts
iPinky has an excellent reputationiPinky has an excellent reputationiPinky has an excellent reputationiPinky has an excellent reputation
Re: Masseneinwanderung Stoppen [initiative to limit immigration]

Quote:
View Post
Honestly, at first when I registered here I thought there would be more Swiss on here than there seems to be ... and also, as I said before, I was not prepared for the anti-Swiss tone that I have seen all over this forum. People who are not forced to live here complaining about the Swiss constantly!! That is what made me stick around - Ha! Not the initial reason I registered ... but there you have it.
Well you certainly showed us!

Now if you'll excuse me... I'm late for my French lessons, because I'm so unwilling to integrate...
Reply With Quote
The following 6 users would like to thank iPinky for this useful post:
  #1351  
Old 10.02.2014, 21:49
john96's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: 4036
Posts: 35
Groaned at 27 Times in 13 Posts
Thanked 34 Times in 18 Posts
john96 has slipped a little
Re: Masseneinwanderung Stoppen [initiative to limit immigration]

Quote:
View Post
Just because me as a foreigners don't agree on everything here doesn't make me an anti-swiss…many of us here do believe that something has to be done, but the way SVP suggests and their reasoning is not believable, been here long enough to know that…have you?

SVP does not equals Switzerland...
SVP does not equal Switzerland but the majority of swiss people do equal the majority of swiss switzerland and the majority of swiss switzerland is for the initiative!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank john96 for this useful post:
The following 2 users groan at john96 for this post:
  #1352  
Old 10.02.2014, 21:50
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Masseneinwanderung Stoppen [initiative to limit immigration]

Quote:
View Post
SVP does not equal Switzerland but the majority of swiss people do equal the majority of swiss switzerland and the majority of swiss switzerland is for the initiative!
Whut?
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #1353  
Old 10.02.2014, 21:51
Nil's Avatar
Nil Nil is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Basel
Posts: 10,400
Groaned at 434 Times in 338 Posts
Thanked 16,045 Times in 6,322 Posts
Nil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Masseneinwanderung Stoppen [initiative to limit immigration]

Quote:
View Post
Seriously EAB, is picking a fight a hobby for you? It must be, because you came to one of the few places native English speakers can talk about topics. Of course Expats here are uncomfortable, we have enticed to come here, some of us years ago, coming here because of promises that our hosts are pretty much breaking. We do not know to what lengths these measures will impact our social interaction, keeping our jobs, right to unemployment and AVH which WE PAY TOWARDS like any Swiss person, or exactly what overt and passive further measures will be made by our hosts.

Do you invite people to your home, and decide you do not like them being there after they have traveled far to respond to your invitation? It is not just the Guest that can be rude and not just the Guest who should have respect. And as guests, it will cost us a lot of money and effort if this turns further south, which is not outside the realm of possibility.

So, jeer at our discomfort and covet taking our jobs. However, if 15% of your workforce is foreign nationals, and Swiss nationals are less than 2% unemployed, who is going to do the other 13% of the work after we are gone and you will not let any others in? My job was needed for economic growth, services I have developed and managed have delivered millions in new revenue for the Swiss economy and created over 40 new Swiss jobs since I got here, and it stood open for 14 months without a Swiss person both willing and able to fill it. It is not my fault that there was no one capable of doing this job, and as a non EU person, my employer had to go to great lengths to justify bringing me here.

In the future, the way things are shaping up... perhaps jobs like mine will not be filled and there will be less "economy" to go around. I am certain I have given more than I have taken. I was enticed to come with my family. If I received this request to come here and work today, after the people have voted their welcome towards people like me is very limited, I would not. I am just one person, but you may need skills not available in country in your economy some day, and you may not find takers.

All that being said, I love Switzerland, and so far, though not without its trials, it has been the best 5 years of my life.
Many of us can relate to your story. Now, one thing I am thinking of, what will happen if all are out of the country, who will take the job of the cashiers at Migros, coop, the corner stores? Those exact jobs many hold by foreigners that Swiss don't want?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Nil for this useful post:
  #1354  
Old 10.02.2014, 21:52
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: At home
Posts: 4,172
Groaned at 208 Times in 133 Posts
Thanked 6,403 Times in 2,719 Posts
Faltrad has a reputation beyond reputeFaltrad has a reputation beyond reputeFaltrad has a reputation beyond reputeFaltrad has a reputation beyond reputeFaltrad has a reputation beyond reputeFaltrad has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Masseneinwanderung Stoppen [initiative to limit immigration]

Quote:
View Post
About "SVP does not equals Switzerland.." True but what does SVP equal? You have one mega rich guy who pours multi-millions in cash into his hobbies.

So what is the SVP? A glove puppet?
By that definition, it equals the Front National.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Faltrad for this useful post:
  #1355  
Old 10.02.2014, 21:53
OSueco's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Aargau
Posts: 1,469
Groaned at 317 Times in 193 Posts
Thanked 1,265 Times in 624 Posts
OSueco has a reputation beyond reputeOSueco has a reputation beyond reputeOSueco has a reputation beyond reputeOSueco has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Masseneinwanderung Stoppen [initiative to limit immigration]

Quote:
View Post
SVP does not equal Switzerland but the majority of swiss people do equal the majority of swiss switzerland and the majority of swiss switzerland is for the initiative!
…stating obvious things are obviously obvious stated…
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank OSueco for this useful post:
  #1356  
Old 10.02.2014, 21:53
john96's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: 4036
Posts: 35
Groaned at 27 Times in 13 Posts
Thanked 34 Times in 18 Posts
john96 has slipped a little
Re: Masseneinwanderung Stoppen [initiative to limit immigration]

Quote:
View Post
Many of us can relate to your story. Now, one thing I am thinking of, what will happen if all are out of the country, who will take the job of the cashiers at Migros, coop, the corner stores? Those exact jobs many hold by foreigners that Swiss don't want?
Those jobs will still be taken by foreigners...
Reply With Quote
  #1357  
Old 10.02.2014, 21:55
miniMia's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: romandie
Posts: 9,993
Groaned at 101 Times in 92 Posts
Thanked 9,106 Times in 4,522 Posts
miniMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Masseneinwanderung Stoppen [initiative to limit immigration]

Quote:
Indeed. I'd invite you up here to find out for yourself, but you'd be buggered if you didn't speak German.

(Probably literally...)
So, umm, then I think I'll decline your kind offer....
Quote:
I'm not an expat.
Me neither. I'm a migrant worker.

Quote:
Portuguese, probably...
I may not have grown up in my home country. But I do speak the language. That was not it.
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank miniMia for this useful post:
  #1358  
Old 10.02.2014, 21:56
mirfield's Avatar
Moddy Wellies
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: North Yorkshire
Posts: 8,715
Groaned at 54 Times in 48 Posts
Thanked 9,623 Times in 3,557 Posts
mirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Masseneinwanderung Stoppen [initiative to limit immigration]

Quote:
View Post
Do you invite people to your home, and decide you do not like them being there after they have traveled far to respond to your invitation?
Its not really a good analogy is it? If a person has an open house, do they not have the right to say, "OK, that's enough for now"? And if any of my guests constantly whined and complained about the Apero, my hospitality and my house rules, then sod 'em; they can just bugger off.

I wasn't invited by any Swiss person. I just turned up in the days when there were quotas.

I don't really agree with the initiative, but I really don't get the hysteria. There have been quotas before and there were no particular difficulties then.

If you're already here then you're already part of the quota. I don't see non-EU people here wailing about their lot, and they're already under these rules.

To slag the Swiss off, just because you don't agree with how they've voted for something is just wrong. Perhaps you should ask them to run any future initiatives past you, just in case you don't like them either.


E.TA. - You are non-EU. I really don't see how this makes a jot of difference to you.
Reply With Quote
The following 7 users would like to thank mirfield for this useful post:
  #1359  
Old 10.02.2014, 21:57
cannut's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: canada
Posts: 6,873
Groaned at 180 Times in 140 Posts
Thanked 6,130 Times in 3,363 Posts
cannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Masseneinwanderung Stoppen [initiative to limit immigration]

Quote:
View Post
There is no question in my mind that you are Swiss - regardless of your language skills.

Honestly, at first when I registered here I thought there would be more Swiss on here than there seems to be ... and also, as I said before, I was not prepared for the anti-Swiss tone that I have seen all over this forum. People who are not forced to live here complaining about the Swiss constantly!! That is what made me stick around - Ha! Not the initial reason I registered ... but there you have it.

you may have a point here, a very very small one But on the whole , there are more expats which defending Switzerland and the swiss folk then bashing them .
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank cannut for this useful post:
  #1360  
Old 10.02.2014, 21:57
Nil's Avatar
Nil Nil is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Basel
Posts: 10,400
Groaned at 434 Times in 338 Posts
Thanked 16,045 Times in 6,322 Posts
Nil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Masseneinwanderung Stoppen [initiative to limit immigration]

Quote:
View Post
SVP does not equal Switzerland but the majority of swiss people do equal the majority of swiss switzerland and the majority of swiss switzerland is for the initiative!
No. On the 56% of those who have exercised their right to vote, 50.3 said yes.
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank Nil for this useful post:
This user groans at Nil for this post:
Reply

Tags
bundesrat, immigration, immigration cap, masseneinwanderung, mei, politics




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Initiative for 140 speed limit on the Autobahn Mark75 Transportation/driving 28 06.02.2014 13:07
POLL: Masseneinwanderung stoppen Mark75 Swiss politics/news 4 30.01.2014 21:51
initiative to allow motorbikes to filter in traffic rob1 Transportation/driving 191 25.05.2012 12:11
“Mass immigration” initiative handed in cdcdoc Swiss politics/news 3 14.02.2012 23:13
Lease to own: mileage limit? bozothedeathmachine Transportation/driving 17 21.11.2007 21:20


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 18:57.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0