English Forum Switzerland

English Forum Switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php)
-   Swiss politics/news (https://www.englishforum.ch/swiss-politics-news/)
-   -   Hungarian sex workers flooding to Zurich (https://www.englishforum.ch/swiss-politics-news/126132-hungarian-sex-workers-flooding-zurich.html)

The Local 20.09.2011 17:32

Prostitutes from Hungary are increasingly being sent to work in the red light district on Sihlquai in the centre of Zurich, but they don't see themselves as victims of trafficking, according to a Swiss researcher.

Read the full article: Hungarian sex workers flooding to Zurich

http://www.thelocal.ch/upload/image/...26136198d3.jpg

KeinFranzösisch 20.09.2011 18:49

Re: Hungarian sex workers flooding to Zurich
 
damn... that wasn't the picture I was hoping to see.

Pancakes 20.09.2011 18:59

Re: Hungarian sex workers flooding to Zurich
 
I use to live right near Sihlquai, where they would all stand along the street... and I was just amazed at how these women could act so proud of what they were doing. Maybe it's some kind of self-defense mechanism, I don't know. But then again, I guess -- who wants to buy a shameful prostitute? :msncrazy:

Anyways, I always wished I had the time and ability to do a little documentary about them with interviews, etc. I would especially like to know how willing most of these women really are to be doing... what they do.

It's so sad...

Phil_MCR 20.09.2011 19:02

Re: Hungarian sex workers flooding to Zurich
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carrie F (Post 1346365)
I use to live right near Sihlquai, where they would all stand along the street... and I was just amazed at how these women could act so proud of what they were doing. Maybe it's some kind of self-defense mechanism, I don't know. But then again, I guess -- who wants to buy a shameful prostitute? :msncrazy:

Anyways, I always wished I had the time and ability to do a little documentary about them with interviews, etc. I would especially like to know how willing most of these women really are to be doing... what they do.

It's so sad...

why shouldn't they be proud? it's a more honest profession than some.

Ouchboy 20.09.2011 19:04

Re: Hungarian sex workers flooding to Zurich
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil_MCR (Post 1346368)
why shouldn't they be proud? it's a more honest profession than some.

like tax consulting… *shiver….

Cosmicgirl 20.09.2011 19:04

Re: Hungarian sex workers flooding to Zurich
 
Well at least its a job that they do not have to speak Swiss :rolleyes:German for !

musings 20.09.2011 19:21

Re: Hungarian sex workers flooding to Zurich
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil_MCR (Post 1346368)
why shouldn't they be proud? it's a more honest profession than some.

What exactly are they proud of? The money or the work - or both?

I support women who go into the business freely without coercion & intimidation but I think the EU countries seriously need to crack down on trafficking.

Big Difference.

Pancakes 20.09.2011 19:25

Re: Hungarian sex workers flooding to Zurich
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil_MCR (Post 1346368)
why shouldn't they be proud? it's a more honest profession than some.


That's true... I guess they're "screwing" their customers at a much fairer rate than most corporations do! :p

fatmanfilms 20.09.2011 19:29

Re: Hungarian sex workers flooding to Zurich
 
Can we assume that this is because the resident prostitutes did not reduce the price as the CHF got stronger v Euro?

Guest 20.09.2011 19:32

Re: Hungarian sex workers flooding to Zurich
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Local (Post 1346324)
Prostitutes from Hungary are increasingly being sent to work in the red light district on Sihlquai in the centre of Zurich, but they don't see themselves as victims of trafficking, according to a Swiss researcher.

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Local (Post 1346324)


The article says, "Out of 56 applications recently submitted by sex workers in Zurich to the Office for Economy and Labour (AWA), all but one were from Hungarian women."

So that headline should read:

Swiss and other nationality prostitutes working illegally; only Hungarians register

Jordan Baker 20.09.2011 19:32

Re: Hungarian sex workers flooding to Zurich
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil_MCR (Post 1346368)
why shouldn't they be proud? it's a more honest profession than some.

I partly agree (they shouldn't be not proud), but isn't it a bit hypocritical too?

I guess it's one thing to say:" Well it's a normal business etc." and another one to say (and think) I'm totally fine with that (e.g.) my little sister or best friend is a sex worker. In this case we would try to get them out of it. Why could that be? :msnsarcastic: Maybe because we can imagine that street prostitution is nothing like heaven.

But if a care taker smokes a cigarette on a balkon, it causes a small riot. (nothing against it/ just considering the dimensions)

It's just that we are more careless with people we don't know. This is natural but in some cases it's a tiny bit sad too.

Phil_MCR 20.09.2011 19:40

Re: Hungarian sex workers flooding to Zurich
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jordan Baker (Post 1346414)
I partly agree (they shouldn't be not proud), but isn't it a bit hypocritical too?

I guess it's one thing to say:" Well it's a normal business etc." and another one to say (and think) I'm totally fine with that (e.g.) my little sister or best friend is a sex worker. In this case we would try to get them out of it. Why could that be? :msnsarcastic: Maybe because we can imagine that street prostitution is nothing like heaven.

But if a care taker smokes a cigarette on a balkon, it causes a small riot. (nothing against it/ just considering the dimensions)

It's just that we are more careless with people we don't know. This is natural but in some cases it's a tiny bit sad too.

true. i think few people would take it as a career option if they had the choice because of the social stigma, which is why i think it would be nice for the rest of us not to shit on them some more* by calling them shameful etc.

*insert scatological joke here.

Pancakes 20.09.2011 19:44

Re: Hungarian sex workers flooding to Zurich
 
I guess that my biggest problem with prostitution is that I see so many women (even still today) base their identities primarily upon their sexuality (regardless of whether or not they are prostitutes). And so I feel like prostitution only perpetuates this warped sense of female identity. Of course, I have absolutely no problem with women "embracing their sensuality," but when they exploit their own sexuality in lieu of their intelligence or integrity, then as a woman, I am rather offended.

Sadly, though, many of these women probably come from societies in which the men already treated them that way (according to their sexuality). And so they are just vicitms of their own culture (as perhaps we all are).

Phil_MCR 20.09.2011 19:47

Re: Hungarian sex workers flooding to Zurich
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carrie F (Post 1346433)
I guess that my biggest problem with prostitution is that I see so many women (even still today) base their identities primarily upon their sexuality (regardless of whether or not they are prostitutes). And so I feel like prostitution only perpetuates this warped sense of female identity. Of course, I have absolutely no problem with women "embracing their sensuality," but when they exploit their own sexuality in lieu of their intelligence or integrity, then as a woman, I am rather offended.

Sadly, though, many of these women probably come from societies in which the men already treated them that way (according to their sexuality). And so they are just vicitms of their own culture (as perhaps we all are).

is it really so warped? women have always been valued for their beauty and men for their power/wealth. it might be an ugly truth, but the truth nonetheless.

poptart 20.09.2011 19:50

Re: Hungarian sex workers flooding to Zurich
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cosmicgirl (Post 1346372)
Well at least its a job that they do not have to speak Swiss :rolleyes:German for !

Christ, now I'm wondering to myself...how does one say, "Oh baby, me so horny!", etc. in the local dialect. I need to go find a bottle of wine pronto and get rid of that thought...:)

poptart 20.09.2011 19:52

Re: Hungarian sex workers flooding to Zurich
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil_MCR (Post 1346440)
is it really so warped? women have always been valued for their beauty and men for their power/wealth. it might be an ugly truth, but the truth nonetheless.

Beautiful women do not solicit tricks on the street (as if they're really beautiful, they'd be making more money for a call service). Not to mention a lot of these women are substance abusers. It's an ugly truth, yes.

Jordan Baker 20.09.2011 19:53

Re: Hungarian sex workers flooding to Zurich
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil_MCR (Post 1346427)
true. i think few people would take it as a career option if they had the choice because of the social stigma, which is why i think it would be nice for the rest of us not to shit on them some more* by calling them shameful etc.

*insert scatological joke here.


I agree with you.

But on the other hand I think that a lot of people are taken advantage of because of their economical or psychological condition. And just ignoring the abusive character of some of the sex work might be political correct nowadays, but I worry often about the girls. It's a bit of russian roulette out there when it comes to their treatment. That's all.

I think there is a lot of damage produced to some souls and only few care about it.

And saying: "It's a business like every other" is a bit rich.

Pancakes 20.09.2011 19:54

Re: Hungarian sex workers flooding to Zurich
 
Yeah, come to think of it...

I guess I myself had a rather warped "sexual identity" back in my early or mid 20's -- thinking I could use sex to get love, etc. because all men seemed interested in, then, was my sexuality (the big boobs didn't help :p). So maybe I was just too stupid to charge for it? :msnsarcastic: (kidding, of course).

But I do think (and hope) that, for most intelligent women, they do eventually come to learn that they need to revolve their identities around things other than their sexuality.

terramundi 20.09.2011 19:55

Re: Hungarian sex workers flooding to Zurich
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by poptart (Post 1346442)
Christ, now I'm wondering to myself...how does one say, "Oh baby, me so horny!", etc. in the local dialect. I need to go find a bottle of wine pronto and get rid of that thought...:)

*passes brain bleach*

Anthony1406 20.09.2011 19:57

Re: Hungarian sex workers flooding to Zurich
 
EXPLICIT CONTENT
If you cant handle it dont watch it (no nudity) :msnblush:

This video shows the other side of the coin and that indeed they are not all victims







All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:08.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0