Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Swiss politics/news  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 18.11.2011, 11:10
Administrator
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 196
Groaned at 100 Times in 44 Posts
Thanked 77 Times in 52 Posts
The Local The Local The Local The Local The Local The Local
The European Union said on Thursday it is helping Greece negotiate with Switzerland in a bid to claw back some the 60 billion in unpaid taxes believed to be hidden in Swiss banks.

Read the full article: EU aiding Greece to dig out unpaid taxes in Swiss banks
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 18.11.2011, 23:34
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 18,978
Groaned at 332 Times in 257 Posts
Thanked 11,716 Times in 6,858 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: EU aiding Greece to dig out unpaid taxes in Swiss banks

Switzerland also should be aiding Greece in this. Why ? Because Greece always has been and in fact even now still IS a good customer of Swiss industry !
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 16.03.2015, 01:04
Hoppy's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Oakland US
Posts: 454
Groaned at 20 Times in 16 Posts
Thanked 362 Times in 229 Posts
Hoppy has a reputation beyond reputeHoppy has a reputation beyond reputeHoppy has a reputation beyond reputeHoppy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: EU aiding Greece to dig out unpaid taxes in Swiss banks

Still going? http://www.cnbc.com/id/101387931
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Hoppy for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 16.03.2015, 09:26
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 10,732
Groaned at 346 Times in 282 Posts
Thanked 15,640 Times in 8,014 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: EU aiding Greece to dig out unpaid taxes in Swiss banks

Quote:
View Post
Switzerland also should be aiding Greece in this. Why ? Because Greece always has been and in fact even now still IS a good customer of Swiss industry !
Get your facts straight, please. Switzerland would NOT help Greece this way, it would help only a bunch of corrupted Greeks. Otherwise "simpletons" will have to pay so that bunch would continue to be rich by dishonest means.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 16.03.2015, 10:02
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: ZH
Posts: 5,317
Groaned at 58 Times in 48 Posts
Thanked 2,696 Times in 1,612 Posts
SOBEIT has a reputation beyond reputeSOBEIT has a reputation beyond reputeSOBEIT has a reputation beyond reputeSOBEIT has a reputation beyond reputeSOBEIT has a reputation beyond repute
Re: EU aiding Greece to dig out unpaid taxes in Swiss banks

The last paragraph of the article sums it up nicely.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank SOBEIT for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 01.04.2015, 05:10
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 18,978
Groaned at 332 Times in 257 Posts
Thanked 11,716 Times in 6,858 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: EU aiding Greece to dig out unpaid taxes in Swiss banks

Quote:
View Post
Get your facts straight, please. Switzerland would NOT help Greece this way, it would help only a bunch of corrupted Greeks. Otherwise "simpletons" will have to pay so that bunch would continue to be rich by dishonest means.

Be realistic. Some People will ALWAYS Profit. This already was the case in the times of the Roman Empire and will be so in future


And
A) it would allow the Greeks to use a REAL currency for everything
B) Greece would push the CHF down to an acceptable rate against the Euro
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01.07.2015, 18:03
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: zurich
Posts: 25
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
PetrC has become a little unpopular
Re: EU aiding Greece to dig out unpaid taxes in Swiss banks

Those governments helping each other to confiscate other peoples money worry me. Is it illegal in Switzerland not to pay taxes in some foreign country? I'm not advocating not to pay taxes, but it's just not Switzerland's business.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank PetrC for this useful post:
This user groans at PetrC for this post:
  #8  
Old 01.07.2015, 18:08
fatmanfilms's Avatar
The Marmite Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 20,999
Groaned at 449 Times in 343 Posts
Thanked 22,278 Times in 11,530 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: EU aiding Greece to dig out unpaid taxes in Swiss banks

Quote:
View Post
Those governments helping each other to confiscate other peoples money worry me. Is it illegal in Switzerland not to pay taxes in some foreign country? I'm not advocating not to pay taxes, but it's just not Switzerland's business.
Tax evasion is an administrative matter in CH rather than a criminal matter, that's why they took a blind eye on foreign tax evasion.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 01.07.2015, 18:11
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 11,649
Groaned at 290 Times in 235 Posts
Thanked 24,846 Times in 10,492 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: EU aiding Greece to dig out unpaid taxes in Swiss banks

Quote:
View Post
Tax evasion is an administrative matter in CH rather than a criminal matter, that's why they took a blind eye on foreign tax evasion.
Isn't it an administrative matter only as long as the authorities cannot prove criminal intent?

This is still different to many EU countries of course where you're guilty until proven innocent.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01.07.2015, 19:19
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 26
Groaned at 14 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 11 Times in 6 Posts
CuttySark is considered unworthyCuttySark is considered unworthyCuttySark is considered unworthy
Re: EU aiding Greece to dig out unpaid taxes in Swiss banks

Quote:
View Post
Those governments helping each other to confiscate other peoples money worry me. Is it illegal in Switzerland not to pay taxes in some foreign country? I'm not advocating not to pay taxes, but it's just not Switzerland's business.
The problem is that many rich Greek people and greek companies were avoiding paying taxes to the tune of several billions of euros by hiding their money in swiss accounts with the help of the Swiss banks.

You do see the problem right? If not, probably your are one of these greedy swiss bankers

Nobody is talking about confiscating innocent people's money or anything, but instead it's about paying the amount of tax that is duly owed to the greek government by its citizens.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank CuttySark for this useful post:
This user groans at CuttySark for this post:
  #11  
Old 01.07.2015, 22:09
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: zurich
Posts: 25
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
PetrC has become a little unpopular
Re: EU aiding Greece to dig out unpaid taxes in Swiss banks

Quote:
View Post
The problem is that many rich Greek people and greek companies were avoiding paying taxes to the tune of several billions of euros by hiding their money in swiss accounts with the help of the Swiss banks.

You do see the problem right? If not, probably your are one of these greedy swiss bankers

Nobody is talking about confiscating innocent people's money or anything, but instead it's about paying the amount of tax that is duly owed to the greek government by its citizens.
What I am worried about is not that those people evade taxes somewhere abroad, it's the fact that Switzerland tries to enforce laws of another country on the Swiss soil. If we go to the extreme, we can expect Swiss authorities to extradite a gay couple back to Saudi Arabia, because it's illegal to be gay there.

Last edited by PetrC; 01.07.2015 at 22:21.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank PetrC for this useful post:
  #12  
Old 01.07.2015, 22:34
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 26
Groaned at 14 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 11 Times in 6 Posts
CuttySark is considered unworthyCuttySark is considered unworthyCuttySark is considered unworthy
Re: EU aiding Greece to dig out unpaid taxes in Swiss banks

Quote:
View Post
If we go to the extreme, we can expect Swiss authorities to extradite a gay couple back to Saudi Arabia, because it's illegal to be gay there.
What?? You're way off the mark I'm afraid.

First of all, a random gay person is not (necessarily) a Saudi citizen, so the Saudi government cannot exert any authority over this person. If this person were a Saudi citizen, then he/she could ask for asylum in a number of countries.

However, tax evasion is not a reason to ask for asylum last time I checked! Therefore, your example is moot.

Second, nobody will take your money without any reason at all. This issue is about Greek and/or other EU citizens who secretly hid money in swiss banks, so they only ones to pay for this are these people.

Third, the Swiss banks actively and willingly helped these people tax evade and commit a crime, from which they benefited a lot, while Greece lost significant income, especially in a time of need. Therefore, I feel that Switzerland has a moral obligation to right this injustice.
Reply With Quote
This user groans at CuttySark for this post:
  #13  
Old 01.07.2015, 22:55
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: EU aiding Greece to dig out unpaid taxes in Swiss banks

Quote:
View Post
I feel that Switzerland has a moral obligation to right this injustice.
A moral obligation, eh?

lol
Reply With Quote
The following 6 users would like to thank for this useful post:
This user groans at for this post:
  #14  
Old 02.07.2015, 02:03
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 18,978
Groaned at 332 Times in 257 Posts
Thanked 11,716 Times in 6,858 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: EU aiding Greece to dig out unpaid taxes in Swiss banks

Quote:
View Post
What?? You're way off the mark I'm afraid.

First of all, a random gay person is not (necessarily) a Saudi citizen, so the Saudi government cannot exert any authority over this person. If this person were a Saudi citizen, then he/she could ask for asylum in a number of countries.

However, tax evasion is not a reason to ask for asylum last time I checked! Therefore, your example is moot.

Second, nobody will take your money without any reason at all. This issue is about Greek and/or other EU citizens who secretly hid money in swiss banks, so they only ones to pay for this are these people.

Third, the Swiss banks actively and willingly helped these people tax evade and commit a crime, from which they benefited a lot, while Greece lost significant income, especially in a time of need. Therefore, I feel that Switzerland has a moral obligation to right this injustice.

To transfer money onto bank accounts in Switzerland is perfectly legal. Whether the customers declare the money on the tax forms is a matter between those individuals and their country. I do NOT see any moral obligation in any way
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Wollishofener for this useful post:
  #15  
Old 02.07.2015, 09:51
fatmanfilms's Avatar
The Marmite Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 20,999
Groaned at 449 Times in 343 Posts
Thanked 22,278 Times in 11,530 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: EU aiding Greece to dig out unpaid taxes in Swiss banks

Quote:
View Post
Isn't it an administrative matter only as long as the authorities cannot prove criminal intent?

This is still different to many EU countries of course where you're guilty until proven innocent.

Forgetting to mention something is clearly a mistake
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
  #16  
Old 02.07.2015, 10:15
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 26
Groaned at 14 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 11 Times in 6 Posts
CuttySark is considered unworthyCuttySark is considered unworthyCuttySark is considered unworthy
Re: EU aiding Greece to dig out unpaid taxes in Swiss banks

Quote:
View Post
To transfer money onto bank accounts in Switzerland is perfectly legal. Whether the customers declare the money on the tax forms is a matter between those individuals and their country. I do NOT see any moral obligation in any way
So, if one of your family members stole a large amount of money from you and your next door neighbour helped him/her to hide it, that would be ok with you?

Also, you really believe the neighbour would have no moral or legal obligation to mention the theft and help resolve the situation?
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02.07.2015, 10:21
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 26
Groaned at 14 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 11 Times in 6 Posts
CuttySark is considered unworthyCuttySark is considered unworthyCuttySark is considered unworthy
Re: EU aiding Greece to dig out unpaid taxes in Swiss banks

Quote:
A moral obligation, eh? lol
What's so funny about that? Ever since the crisis begun, northern European countries, eg Germany, Finland, are touting the virtues and the morality of paying ones debts etc.

So, why isn't it moral to help another country track down its people who do not want to pay their debts and tax evade?
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02.07.2015, 10:22
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: EU aiding Greece to dig out unpaid taxes in Swiss banks

Quote:
View Post
What's so funny about that?

Because countries don't have morals.


Do you have any understanding of what you're talking about at all?
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
This user groans at for this post:
  #19  
Old 02.07.2015, 10:31
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 26
Groaned at 14 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 11 Times in 6 Posts
CuttySark is considered unworthyCuttySark is considered unworthyCuttySark is considered unworthy
Re: EU aiding Greece to dig out unpaid taxes in Swiss banks

Quote:
Because countries don't have morals.


Do you have any understanding of what you're talking about at all?
I've just realized that I'm wasting my time responding in this thread.

Cheers
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank CuttySark for this useful post:
This user groans at CuttySark for this post:
  #20  
Old 02.07.2015, 10:33
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: EU aiding Greece to dig out unpaid taxes in Swiss banks

Quote:
View Post
I've just realized that I'm wasting my time responding in this thread.

Cheers

Toodle pip!
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank for this useful post:
This user groans at for this post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT +2. The time now is 09:10.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0