Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Swiss politics/news  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old 08.12.2011, 12:38
KeinFranzösisch's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 2,198
Groaned at 63 Times in 38 Posts
Thanked 2,549 Times in 1,115 Posts
KeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond repute
Re: USA threatens Switzerland: give us your criminal records, or no more visa-waiver

Ouchboy, I can't respond to your PM because your mailbox is full. You're too popular. Please make some room.

I'll share this with the rest of the group. If you are stopped frequently by US Customs* and you feel that it is without cause, then there are redress procedures. More information is available here: https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...1/kw/secondary

*Note that US Customs and Border Protection and the Transporation Security Administration are unique and distinct agencies. Please do not confuse them with each other.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank KeinFranzösisch for this useful post:
  #62  
Old 08.12.2011, 12:41
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: USA threatens Switzerland: give us your criminal records, or no more visa-waiver

Quote:
View Post
au contraire .. the unprecedented political and economic decline of the country, and its sheer inability to tackle any of the its multiple problems - means there is that much more temptation for the politicians to deflect attention by blaming other countries and causes...
Ok, so I was having a moment of rationality. Sorry. You're quite right - often easier to deflect.

So many pointy fingers, so little time.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #63  
Old 08.12.2011, 13:04
dino's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1,631
Groaned at 31 Times in 24 Posts
Thanked 1,279 Times in 628 Posts
dino has a reputation beyond reputedino has a reputation beyond reputedino has a reputation beyond reputedino has a reputation beyond reputedino has a reputation beyond repute
Re: USA threatens Switzerland: give us your criminal records, or no more visa-waiver

Quote:
View Post
no surprise that an article on the US posted to this stupid forum gets the usual suspects ranting, raving and rending their shirts with the obligatory insulting of americans as stupid, arrogant and fat.

your pigheaded views are just as bad as what you claim to denounce. i'm out of here permanently. go drown in a vat of your own vitriol.
well, i can't tell if you are fat, but I have an opinion on the other two.

good bye!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank dino for this useful post:
  #64  
Old 08.12.2011, 13:38
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 1,983
Groaned at 69 Times in 52 Posts
Thanked 5,074 Times in 1,802 Posts
crazygringo has a reputation beyond reputecrazygringo has a reputation beyond reputecrazygringo has a reputation beyond reputecrazygringo has a reputation beyond reputecrazygringo has a reputation beyond reputecrazygringo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: USA threatens Switzerland: give us your criminal records, or no more visa-waiver

Quote:
View Post
au contraire .. the unprecedented political and economic decline of the country, and its sheer inability to tackle any of the its multiple problems - means there is that much more temptation for the politicians to deflect attention by blaming other countries and causes...
im fass hesch mär dän mi mit mein “homeland”, apparently.
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 08.12.2011, 13:55
FCBarca's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: La Côte
Posts: 1,486
Groaned at 137 Times in 73 Posts
Thanked 1,693 Times in 773 Posts
FCBarca has a reputation beyond reputeFCBarca has a reputation beyond reputeFCBarca has a reputation beyond reputeFCBarca has a reputation beyond reputeFCBarca has a reputation beyond repute
Re: USA threatens Switzerland: give us your criminal records, or no more visa-waiver

Quote:
View Post
http://www.20min.ch/news/schweiz/story/28100376

My personal opinion: let them kick us out of the visa-waiver program. This is really going to far.

It's just a pity that due to the Schengen-accords, we won't be able to make US citizens get visa as well.
Should be doing the same thing Brasil did with the US in terms of visas...But, of course, there's too much internal pressure to not relent on the visa program

Utterly pathetic from the US but I find with each passing year, they descend further into a fascist state
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 08.12.2011, 14:00
KeinFranzösisch's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 2,198
Groaned at 63 Times in 38 Posts
Thanked 2,549 Times in 1,115 Posts
KeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond repute
Re: USA threatens Switzerland: give us your criminal records, or no more visa-waiver

Quote:
View Post
Should be doing the same thing Brasil did with the US in terms of visas...But, of course, there's too much internal pressure to not relent on the visa program

Utterly pathetic from the US but I find with each passing year, they descend further into a fascist state
Wait and see what happens if the "red tide" sweeps Washington in the elections next year, as is currently anticipated. If they get full control, then the fascism will roll full steam ahead.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank KeinFranzösisch for this useful post:
  #67  
Old 08.12.2011, 14:25
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: USA threatens Switzerland: give us your criminal records, or no more visa-waiver

Quote:
View Post
Wait and see what happens if the "red tide" sweeps Washington in the elections next year, as is currently anticipated. If they get full control, then the fascism will roll full steam ahead.
Oooh. Red tide. Killing everything in sight. How appropriate.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #68  
Old 08.12.2011, 14:59
magyir's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Wallisellen
Posts: 1,625
Groaned at 7 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 501 Times in 346 Posts
magyir has a reputation beyond reputemagyir has a reputation beyond reputemagyir has a reputation beyond reputemagyir has a reputation beyond repute
Re: USA threatens Switzerland: give us your criminal records, or no more visa-waiver

Quote:
View Post
....
*Note that US Customs and Border Protection and the Transporation Security Administration are unique and distinct agencies. Please do not confuse them with each other.
Yes, but they're both in the Dept of Homeland Security. So not really so unique and distinct when they're in the same Govt Dept then .....
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 08.12.2011, 15:02
Joy2's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Nebenan, CH
Posts: 121
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 214 Times in 62 Posts
Joy2 has an excellent reputationJoy2 has an excellent reputationJoy2 has an excellent reputationJoy2 has an excellent reputation
Re: USA threatens Switzerland: give us your criminal records, or no more visa-waiver

Quote:
View Post
Wait and see what happens if the "red tide" sweeps Washington in the elections next year, as is currently anticipated. If they get full control, then the fascism will roll full steam ahead.
By whom ...? Elections are in a year and there is not even a serious presidential contender from the "red" side.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Joy2 for this useful post:
  #70  
Old 08.12.2011, 15:09
Joy2's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Nebenan, CH
Posts: 121
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 214 Times in 62 Posts
Joy2 has an excellent reputationJoy2 has an excellent reputationJoy2 has an excellent reputationJoy2 has an excellent reputation
Re: USA threatens Switzerland: give us your criminal records, or no more visa-waiver

Quote:
View Post
Should be doing the same thing Brasil did with the US in terms of visas...But, of course, there's too much internal pressure to not relent on the visa program

Utterly pathetic from the US but I find with each passing year, they descend further into a fascist state
Yes, I feel so "watched" when I'm there. Unlike in Europe, where everyone reserves their judgement and lets each other "live and let live".

I love it that this whole thread is a response to an article in 20 Minutes that is based entirely on hearsay and on something that will never happen but makes for good copy.

Where is Mr. Breakfast with his pithy responses when you need him?
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank Joy2 for this useful post:
This user groans at Joy2 for this post:
  #71  
Old 08.12.2011, 15:15
MrVertigo's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 3,200
Groaned at 86 Times in 70 Posts
Thanked 5,788 Times in 2,254 Posts
MrVertigo has a reputation beyond reputeMrVertigo has a reputation beyond reputeMrVertigo has a reputation beyond reputeMrVertigo has a reputation beyond reputeMrVertigo has a reputation beyond reputeMrVertigo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: USA threatens Switzerland: give us your criminal records, or no more visa-waiver

Quote:
View Post
Yes, I feel so "watched" when I'm there. Unlike in Europe, where everyone reserves their judgement and lets each other "live and let live".

I love it that this whole thread is a response to an article in 20 Minutes that is based entirely on hearsay and on something that will never happen but makes for good copy.

Where is Mr. Breakfast with his pithy responses when you need him?
Sorry but your post is a complete fail:

- An official statement was made by Georg Farago from swiss federal administration for foreign affairs.

- US embassy in Bern made a statement through Alexander Daniels (spokesperson).
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank MrVertigo for this useful post:
  #72  
Old 08.12.2011, 15:17
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: USA threatens Switzerland: give us your criminal records, or no more visa-waiver

Quote:
View Post
By whom ...? Elections are in a year and there is not even a serious presidential contender from the "red" side.
Quote:
View Post
Yes, I feel so "watched" when I'm there. Unlike in Europe, where everyone reserves their judgement and lets each other "live and let live".

I love it that this whole thread is a response to an article in 20 Minutes that is based entirely on hearsay and on something that will never happen but makes for good copy.

Where is Mr. Breakfast with his pithy responses when you need him?
You are so totally the voice of reason here.
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 08.12.2011, 15:31
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 781
Groaned at 73 Times in 55 Posts
Thanked 1,509 Times in 718 Posts
leonie has a reputation beyond reputeleonie has a reputation beyond reputeleonie has a reputation beyond reputeleonie has a reputation beyond reputeleonie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: USA threatens Switzerland: give us your criminal records, or no more visa-waiver

Quote:
View Post
........

I love it that this whole thread is a response to an article in 20 Minutes that is based entirely on hearsay and on something that will never happen but makes for good copy.
.........
http://bazonline.ch/schweiz/standard...story/25615076

Last edited by leonie; 08.12.2011 at 15:49.
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 08.12.2011, 15:33
ThomasT's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: The Village
Posts: 732
Groaned at 30 Times in 17 Posts
Thanked 569 Times in 286 Posts
ThomasT has an excellent reputationThomasT has an excellent reputationThomasT has an excellent reputationThomasT has an excellent reputation
Re: USA threatens Switzerland: give us your criminal records, or no more visa-waiver

Quote:
View Post
- Biometric passport
- ESTA Tourist authorization
- Fingerprints
- Eye prints

I'd rather go through a full body scan than get a tourist visa.
Sorry but, what's the big deal. It doesn't even take you 10 seconds to give these prints. And if you have a biometric passport, you don't even have to. The ESTA is just the online version of the green form you used to fill out on the plane. Much more comfortable for everybody.

And why shouldn't the US have access to our police records? After all they're the nation that has always protected our western way of living for us.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank ThomasT for this useful post:
The following 4 users groan at ThomasT for this post:
  #75  
Old 08.12.2011, 15:36
KeinFranzösisch's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 2,198
Groaned at 63 Times in 38 Posts
Thanked 2,549 Times in 1,115 Posts
KeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond repute
Re: USA threatens Switzerland: give us your criminal records, or no more visa-waiver

Quote:
View Post
Yes, I feel so "watched" when I'm there. Unlike in Europe, where everyone reserves their judgement and lets each other "live and let live".
Are we living in the same Switzerland?
Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old 08.12.2011, 15:45
Joy2's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Nebenan, CH
Posts: 121
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 214 Times in 62 Posts
Joy2 has an excellent reputationJoy2 has an excellent reputationJoy2 has an excellent reputationJoy2 has an excellent reputation
Re: USA threatens Switzerland: give us your criminal records, or no more visa-waiver

Probably also the "reason" that so many normal Americans show up here (on EF), stay for a few days and never return. Most who do stick around are here for the long haul and/or are married to a European (like me). But it does get so tiring, doesn't it?

I don't know a single American living in Europe who won't discuss and even debate issues in a straightforward way, but this constant maligning with so little basis in actual fact gets really old. You do reach a point where you think, "Wow, am I spending my time doing this?"

And I'm not talking about the people who've completely moved on, like Tom in Tessino. That's a fine choice and I understand it. However, having recently moved here and having already spent a number of years in Europe and back in the States, I realize, again, how useless these discussions are because they will end in mudslinging among cousins. In fact, to me, Europe and the U.S. are almost the same. Really, there isn't much difference in how things are done. So in the U.S. you get crap at the airport and here you get it when you register or cross the border or are fined for something ridiculous. The methods are the different but the intention is the same -- crowd control.

So, the choice is, people can either sit down and have a rational and enjoyable discussion or everyone can point fingers and call each other stupid and then no one learns anything. Maybe it has to do with age, life experience, and a serious lack of testosterone, but I know that the latter is a huge waste of time.

Having said that, I will still eat my hat if the day comes when holders of a Swiss passport need a visa. That particular pissing contest can end, and the cognitively inflexible among us can root around for the next topic that proves that their Weltanschauung is the right one.
Reply With Quote
The following 7 users would like to thank Joy2 for this useful post:
  #77  
Old 08.12.2011, 15:55
kiwiguy08's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Horgen
Posts: 1,340
Groaned at 45 Times in 33 Posts
Thanked 1,044 Times in 531 Posts
kiwiguy08 has a reputation beyond reputekiwiguy08 has a reputation beyond reputekiwiguy08 has a reputation beyond reputekiwiguy08 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: USA threatens Switzerland: give us your criminal records, or no more visa-waiver

Quote:
View Post
Are we living in the same Switzerland?
I think he's being sarcastic.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank kiwiguy08 for this useful post:
  #78  
Old 08.12.2011, 16:10
Treverus's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Work in ZH, live in SZ
Posts: 12,232
Groaned at 351 Times in 284 Posts
Thanked 23,444 Times in 8,473 Posts
Treverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: USA threatens Switzerland: give us your criminal records, or no more visa-waiver

Quote:
View Post
Probably also the "reason" that so many normal Americans show up here (on EF), stay for a few days and never return. Most who do stick around are here for the long haul and/or are married to a European (like me). But it does get so tiring, doesn't it?

I don't know a single American living in Europe who won't discuss and even debate issues in a straightforward way, but this constant maligning with so little basis in actual fact gets really old. You do reach a point where you think, "Wow, am I spending my time doing this?"

And I'm not talking about the people who've completely moved on, like Tom in Tessino. That's a fine choice and I understand it. However, having recently moved here and having already spent a number of years in Europe and back in the States, I realize, again, how useless these discussions are because they will end in mudslinging among cousins. In fact, to me, Europe and the U.S. are almost the same. Really, there isn't much difference in how things are done. So in the U.S. you get crap at the airport and here you get it when you register or cross the border or are fined for something ridiculous. The methods are the different but the intention is the same -- crowd control.

So, the choice is, people can either sit down and have a rational and enjoyable discussion or everyone can point fingers and call each other stupid and then no one learns anything. Maybe it has to do with age, life experience, and a serious lack of testosterone, but I know that the latter is a huge waste of time.

Having said that, I will still eat my hat if the day comes when holders of a Swiss passport need a visa. That particular pissing contest can end, and the cognitively inflexible among us can root around for the next topic that proves that their Weltanschauung is the right one.
Maybe I am missing something, I often do as I actively manage my ignore list to not see the junk by some usual suspects: Where exactly did this thread turn into anything like a mudslide? I didn't read anything remotely anti-American either.
Yes, I critizise the US visa practice - not because I am against the US, but quite the opposite: I am so interested in it that I wanted to go there on holidays and didn't cause they make it so difficult for us...
After a decade of Bush and then Obama not really living up to the expectations he raised himself can I understand that it must be getting pretty tiring to be an American in Europe. On the other hand must I say that many Americans on EF have an extremely short fuse as soon as somebody critizises any aspect of their country. I work for an US company and my boss is American. I can have absolutely open discussions without any fingerpointing on topics like the bizarre TSA rules. And no, I do not agree that it is same same but different. I have seen pensioners who were forced to throw their toothpaste away as the nearly empty tube when new contained more than 100 ml. That's simply stupid. And most Americans would probably agree.
Reply With Quote
The following 11 users would like to thank Treverus for this useful post:
  #79  
Old 08.12.2011, 18:11
tantrum's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Basel
Posts: 209
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 144 Times in 74 Posts
tantrum has earned some respecttantrum has earned some respect
Re: USA threatens Switzerland: give us your criminal records, or no more visa-waiver

Quote:
View Post
Sorry but, what's the big deal. It doesn't even take you 10 seconds to give these prints. And if you have a biometric passport, you don't even have to.
Are you saying that holding a biometric passport means you do not get fingerprinted on entry to the USA?

I'd be happy if that were the case, but it wasn't my impression. (Not that I have been to the USA since they started fingerprinting tourists, because I don't like being fingerprinted and I can go somewhere else for my holidays.)
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 08.12.2011, 18:32
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Zurich
Posts: 12
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 8 Times in 3 Posts
neutron boy has no particular reputation at present
Re: USA threatens Switzerland: give us your criminal records, or no more visa-waiver

Quote:
View Post
On the other hand must I say that many Americans on EF have an extremely short fuse as soon as somebody critizises any aspect of their country. I work for an US company and my boss is American. I can have absolutely open discussions without any fingerpointing on topics like the bizarre TSA rules.
I think this is wrong. We always say bad thing about americans here, more than any country. I think it is popular to bash America so I would not say people have short fuses. In fact, they probably are ok at first but then get fed up because it is non stop. Every country has big and small problems, but it's always us talking about America's problems and making fun of Americans on EF.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank neutron boy for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How has your life become more or less glamourous since moving to Switzerland Phil_MCR Daily life 104 23.12.2011 05:21
Question for visa waiver participants swissbob Permits/visas/government 1 19.08.2011 08:09
Criminal records Guest Daily life 31 25.07.2010 20:39
Overstaying a US Visa Waiver? Mister Anderson Permits/visas/government 5 02.10.2007 03:23
abridgement of your criminal records--needed for working permit? Ella Permits/visas/government 8 09.02.2007 10:49


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:47.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0