Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Swiss politics/news  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 26.03.2012, 08:48
Administrator
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 196
Groaned at 100 Times in 44 Posts
Thanked 77 Times in 52 Posts
The Local The Local The Local The Local The Local The Local
The world's biggest watch company Swatch is looking at building a car that runs on hydrogen and oxygen, its chief executive and chairman Nick Hayek said in an interview published on Sunday.

Read the full article: Swatch plans car fueled by hydrogen and oxygen
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 26.03.2012, 09:39
macother's Avatar
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kt. Zurich
Posts: 9
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
macother has no particular reputation at present
Re: Swatch plans car fueled by hydrogen and oxygen

Quote:
View Post
The world's biggest watch company Swatch is looking at building a car that runs on hydrogen and oxygen, its chief executive and chairman Nick Hayek said in an interview published on Sunday.
And like the Smart Hayek will just sell the idea to Daimler AG.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 26.03.2012, 09:47
fatmanfilms's Avatar
The Marmite Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 20,988
Groaned at 448 Times in 342 Posts
Thanked 22,225 Times in 11,520 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swatch plans car fueled by hydrogen and oxygen

Quote:
View Post
And like the Smart Hayek will just sell the idea to Daimler AG.
With the ammount of money the project lost, selling seemed a pretty smart thing to do.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 26.03.2012, 10:10
Assassin's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chasing clouds
Posts: 4,024
Groaned at 180 Times in 123 Posts
Thanked 11,560 Times in 3,148 Posts
Assassin has a reputation beyond reputeAssassin has a reputation beyond reputeAssassin has a reputation beyond reputeAssassin has a reputation beyond reputeAssassin has a reputation beyond reputeAssassin has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swatch plans car fueled by hydrogen and oxygen

Quote:
View Post
The world's biggest watch company Swatch is looking at building a car that runs on hydrogen and oxygen
H2O then? Awesome, I'll start saving my urine....
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Assassin for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 26.03.2012, 10:51
mirfield's Avatar
Moddy Wellies
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: North Yorkshire
Posts: 8,681
Groaned at 52 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 9,623 Times in 3,557 Posts
mirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swatch plans car fueled by hydrogen and oxygen

Quote:
View Post
H2O then?
I saw them laying a pipeline in Basel the other day. Are we likely to be invaded for our own protection?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 13.08.2014, 18:10
Sbrinz's Avatar
RIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Murten - Morat
Posts: 11,866
Groaned at 563 Times in 354 Posts
Thanked 11,548 Times in 5,941 Posts
Sbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swatch plans car fueled by hydrogen and oxygen

Toyota's expensive hydrogen fueled cars are going on sale soon,

http://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Tren...change-society
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 13.08.2014, 18:44
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 31,577
Groaned at 2,353 Times in 1,711 Posts
Thanked 38,371 Times in 18,109 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swatch plans car fueled by hydrogen and oxygen

So where are they planning to get the hydrogen, use fossil fuels to extract it?

Hindenburg, anyone?

Tom
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 13.08.2014, 19:09
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 22,130
Groaned at 406 Times in 315 Posts
Thanked 17,100 Times in 9,620 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swatch plans car fueled by hydrogen and oxygen

Quote:
View Post
So where are they planning to get the hydrogen, use fossil fuels to extract it?

Hindenburg, anyone?

Tom
My thoughts exactly. Don't crash into one whatever you do!
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Medea Fleecestealer for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 14.08.2014, 05:55
Confloozed's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 4,801
Groaned at 104 Times in 91 Posts
Thanked 4,965 Times in 2,360 Posts
Confloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swatch plans car fueled by hydrogen and oxygen

Quote:
View Post
My thoughts exactly. Don't crash into one whatever you do!
Because gas/petrol/diesel has the opposite effect.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Confloozed for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 14.08.2014, 07:28
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 22,130
Groaned at 406 Times in 315 Posts
Thanked 17,100 Times in 9,620 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swatch plans car fueled by hydrogen and oxygen

Quote:
View Post
Because gas/petrol/diesel has the opposite effect.
No, because at least we know the problems with these and hopefully the manufacturers take some precautions to prevent explosions on crashing. What research have Swatch and Toyota done on the new fuel cells in a crash situation? Not much is my guess, given the cost to make the things in the first place. Can't go smashing them up willy-nilly like you can with an ordinary vehicle.

And how much more pollution is being added in the making of these fuel cells as well? What most people don't realise is that more pollution is created making these "so called" green cars than you get with ordinary ones. It's simply been shifted from the cars themselves to the manufacturing process.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Medea Fleecestealer for this useful post:
  #11  
Old 14.08.2014, 07:31
Confloozed's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 4,801
Groaned at 104 Times in 91 Posts
Thanked 4,965 Times in 2,360 Posts
Confloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swatch plans car fueled by hydrogen and oxygen

Quote:
View Post
No, because at least we know the problems with these and hopefully the manufacturers take some precautions to prevent explosions on crashing. What research have Swatch and Toyota done on the new fuel cells in a crash situation? Not much is my guess, given the cost to make the things in the first place. Can't go smashing them up willy-nilly like you can with an ordinary vehicle.

And how much more pollution is being added in the making of these fuel cells as well? What most people don't realise is that more pollution is created making these "so called" green cars than you get with ordinary ones. It's simply been shifted from the cars themselves to the manufacturing process.
Guessing as usual.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Confloozed for this useful post:
  #12  
Old 14.08.2014, 08:03
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Swatch plans car fueled by hydrogen and oxygen

Quote:
View Post
No, because at least we know the problems with these and hopefully the manufacturers take some precautions to prevent explosions on crashing. What research have Swatch and Toyota done on the new fuel cells in a crash situation? Not much is my guess, given the cost to make the things in the first place. Can't go smashing them up willy-nilly like you can with an ordinary vehicle..
You mean like those propane trucks that explode every day? BTW the amount of hydrogen in the fuel cell is about the same as the amount of petrol in a petrol engine at any given time - i.e. not much. The rest is in a gas tank and I know they ARE crash tested.

Quote:
View Post
And how much more pollution is being added in the making of these fuel cells as well? What most people don't realise is that more pollution is created making these "so called" green cars than you get with ordinary ones. It's simply been shifted from the cars themselves to the manufacturing process.
More guessing?

Last edited by baboon; 14.08.2014 at 09:14.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 14.08.2014, 08:50
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Geneva and Nendaz
Posts: 1,063
Groaned at 8 Times in 6 Posts
Thanked 1,178 Times in 490 Posts
SuisseRomand has a reputation beyond reputeSuisseRomand has a reputation beyond reputeSuisseRomand has a reputation beyond reputeSuisseRomand has a reputation beyond reputeSuisseRomand has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swatch plans car fueled by hydrogen and oxygen

The most interesting project is the one from Quant.
And it should be tested soon on German streets.

it's based on nanoflowcell technology.

The flow cell battery is a beacon of hope because it is an especially simple and effective storage medium for electrical energy. Flow cells are chemical batteries that combine aspects of an electrochemical accumulator cell with those of a fuel cell. Liquid electrolytes circulate through two separate cells in which a “cold burning” takes place, during which oxidation and reduction processes happen in parallel and thereby produce electrical power for the drive train.

http://www.nanoflowcell.com/en#home
http://mediacenter.nanoflowcell.com/mediacenter/photos/
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 14.08.2014, 11:55
Fridge's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Zürich
Posts: 687
Groaned at 23 Times in 19 Posts
Thanked 757 Times in 331 Posts
Fridge has a reputation beyond reputeFridge has a reputation beyond reputeFridge has a reputation beyond reputeFridge has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swatch plans car fueled by hydrogen and oxygen

Quote:
View Post
The most interesting project is the one from Quant.
And it should be tested soon on German streets.

it's based on nanoflowcell technology.

The flow cell battery is a beacon of hope because it is an especially simple and effective storage medium for electrical energy. Flow cells are chemical batteries that combine aspects of an electrochemical accumulator cell with those of a fuel cell. Liquid electrolytes circulate through two separate cells in which a “cold burning” takes place, during which oxidation and reduction processes happen in parallel and thereby produce electrical power for the drive train.

http://www.nanoflowcell.com/en#home
http://mediacenter.nanoflowcell.com/mediacenter/photos/
That's not quite the same though - no liquid H2 under incredible pressure to cause problems in that one.

400l fuel tank isn't exactly a trivial volume loose in the car... and they don't say what specific metal ions they've used - a bit misleading to say it's powered on "an ocean". Yeah, technically it is "salt water", but what kind of ionic solution? Those can get pretty exotic, and pricey.

But 925hp, 1-100 in3.8s and 400-600km range? I would be very interested in a price. sadly, I don't expect that to be in a range most would consider realistic.
__________________
The red blobs are all mine, you can't have 'em back!!! Bwahahaha!!!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 15.08.2014, 12:43
Fridge's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Zürich
Posts: 687
Groaned at 23 Times in 19 Posts
Thanked 757 Times in 331 Posts
Fridge has a reputation beyond reputeFridge has a reputation beyond reputeFridge has a reputation beyond reputeFridge has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swatch plans car fueled by hydrogen and oxygen

Quote:
View Post
The most interesting project is the one from Quant.
And it should be tested soon on German streets.

it's based on nanoflowcell technology.

The flow cell battery is a beacon of hope because it is an especially simple and effective storage medium for electrical energy. Flow cells are chemical batteries that combine aspects of an electrochemical accumulator cell with those of a fuel cell. Liquid electrolytes circulate through two separate cells in which a “cold burning” takes place, during which oxidation and reduction processes happen in parallel and thereby produce electrical power for the drive train.

http://www.nanoflowcell.com/en#home
http://mediacenter.nanoflowcell.com/mediacenter/photos/
And after a bit more research into the company... you may want to google the founder. Turns out he was trying to push a similar design a while ago, using vanadium as the salt. No problem with that, but it makes his performance well, well above the the best results for vanadium redox flow cells to date (they claim 600 Wh/kg, best production models I've heard of give 25 Wh/kg. that's a 40x energy density increase!). There's no mention of what salt they're using this round, but the absence of that info just makes me more wary.

Slightly more digging found that he may have a history of overly optimistic performance projections, having been accused of fraud by investors for supposedly rigging a demo photovoltaic that coincidentally also had extremely high performance predictions. Court ruled that the investors simply failed in their due diligence. Take that as you will.

Long story short, I'll believe the numbers when I see them from independent testing.
__________________
The red blobs are all mine, you can't have 'em back!!! Bwahahaha!!!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Fridge for this useful post:
  #16  
Old 24.08.2014, 11:58
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Albisrieden
Posts: 5,112
Groaned at 122 Times in 80 Posts
Thanked 7,768 Times in 2,879 Posts
nickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swatch plans car fueled by hydrogen and oxygen

I heard they were planning a clockwork car but in the end it was just a wind-up.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank nickatbasel for this useful post:
  #17  
Old 28.08.2014, 10:30
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Zurich
Posts: 93
Groaned at 7 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 137 Times in 51 Posts
threaded is considered knowledgeablethreaded is considered knowledgeablethreaded is considered knowledgeable
Re: Swatch plans car fueled by hydrogen and oxygen

Quote:
View Post
So where are they planning to get the hydrogen, use fossil fuels to extract it?

Hindenburg, anyone?

Tom
Yes, most hydrogen is produced from fossil fuels. It is pretty much another of these 'catalytic converter' style scams: finding new and interesting ways to get cars to use even more oil whilst claiming to save the environment. And even supposedly intelligent people fall for it.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 28.08.2014, 11:20
Leggat's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Lenzburg
Posts: 234
Groaned at 8 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 252 Times in 116 Posts
Leggat has earned the respect of manyLeggat has earned the respect of manyLeggat has earned the respect of many
Re: Swatch plans car fueled by hydrogen and oxygen

Quote:
View Post
It is pretty much another of these 'catalytic converter' style scams:
What is scammy about the catalytic converter? Or are you referring to the catalysis of the electrolysis reaction to break apart H2 and O?
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Leggat for this useful post:
  #19  
Old 28.08.2014, 11:36
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 11,608
Groaned at 284 Times in 232 Posts
Thanked 24,752 Times in 10,460 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swatch plans car fueled by hydrogen and oxygen

I don't know why these things keep on going around in circles.

Hydrogen cells have been around for a long time but their problem is their miserably low energy efficiency. Progress in battery technology has put the technology in the limelight.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 28.08.2014, 11:41
TidakApa's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Top of a Triangle
Posts: 2,992
Groaned at 38 Times in 29 Posts
Thanked 5,673 Times in 2,039 Posts
TidakApa has a reputation beyond reputeTidakApa has a reputation beyond reputeTidakApa has a reputation beyond reputeTidakApa has a reputation beyond reputeTidakApa has a reputation beyond reputeTidakApa has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swatch plans car fueled by hydrogen and oxygen

Quote:
View Post
My thoughts exactly. Don't crash into one whatever you do!
That's what they said about petrol as well. That and it would never work because you would need to put fuel stations everywhere so the cars could opperate..... pffft petrol, what a stupid idea that turned out to be.

Maybe we should all just go back to distilling whale blubber, that sounds sustainable.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank TidakApa for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT +2. The time now is 20:29.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0