Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Swiss politics/news  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 20.09.2012, 17:52
JBZ86's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Zurich and various mountains
Posts: 3,709
Groaned at 520 Times in 337 Posts
Thanked 4,258 Times in 1,944 Posts
JBZ86 has a reputation beyond reputeJBZ86 has a reputation beyond reputeJBZ86 has a reputation beyond reputeJBZ86 has a reputation beyond reputeJBZ86 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Looks like the shops in Switzerland could stay open a bit longer in weekdays

Quote:
The Tescos near my mum went back to normal hours (8 till 10?) after being open 24 hours for almost a year (except Sundays). It wasn't as successful as they'd obviously planned for; the only (few) customers they got through the night were either nurses from the nearby hospital nipping in for a pack of cigs and a Twix or the homeless coming in for a piss and to get warm.

I guess they thought they'd have got car loads of families happy to do their weekly shop at 3am...
Yeh, I can see that in some areas.

Asda 24hr was a big hit my area, and does very well.

I only ever used it once in terms of outside normal business hours, 5am on way back from clubbing in London we were all going back to a friends place. Pleased as punch when I turned up with sausages, bacon, egg, mushrooms, black pudding, hash browns etc for a mean 10 man English brekkie!
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 20.09.2012, 18:18
Oldhand's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Zürich
Posts: 4,015
Groaned at 18 Times in 17 Posts
Thanked 6,837 Times in 2,059 Posts
Oldhand has a reputation beyond reputeOldhand has a reputation beyond reputeOldhand has a reputation beyond reputeOldhand has a reputation beyond reputeOldhand has a reputation beyond reputeOldhand has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Looks like the shops in Switzerland could stay open a bit longer in weekdays

I can imagine it's hard for people who are used to 24 hour shops when they come to Switzerland. I thought it was hard for my American cousins who make sure the shifts they work allow that always one of them is there for the kids.

When I've visited, it's been a juggling act that we get one day together. It sometimes means the late shift worker has to forget about sleep that day or take a holiday. They have beautiful houses and big yards but they are rarely together as a family.

It's even worse if you change jobs, as then you go down the pecking order as to how much holiday you can have and when you can take them. I think there is something in the cut off here in Switzerland that I'd be loathe to relinquish, especially when it means you can get together without months of planning.
__________________
www.thehappynest.ch
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Oldhand for this useful post:
  #23  
Old 20.09.2012, 18:20
mirfield's Avatar
Moddy Wellies
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: North Yorkshire
Posts: 8,727
Groaned at 53 Times in 47 Posts
Thanked 9,936 Times in 3,651 Posts
mirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Looks like the shops in Switzerland could stay open a bit longer in weekdays

Quote:
View Post
I don't buy that.
Well you couldn't. The shop's shut.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank mirfield for this useful post:
  #24  
Old 20.09.2012, 18:27
Jobsrobertsharpii's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Z-U-R-I-C-H
Posts: 2,335
Groaned at 173 Times in 124 Posts
Thanked 3,384 Times in 1,536 Posts
Jobsrobertsharpii has a reputation beyond reputeJobsrobertsharpii has a reputation beyond reputeJobsrobertsharpii has a reputation beyond reputeJobsrobertsharpii has a reputation beyond reputeJobsrobertsharpii has a reputation beyond reputeJobsrobertsharpii has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Looks like the shops in Switzerland could stay open a bit longer in weekdays

24h stores would struggle here, as so many use the transit network and most of that shuts down after a point most nights. Nobody's gonna walk 5+km for a 6-pack and snacks. That being said, I think it would be a good idea if convenience markets were open in the major bahnhofs until, say, 15 minutes after the last train, or something similar.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Jobsrobertsharpii for this useful post:
  #25  
Old 20.09.2012, 18:30
zymogen's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: ...
Posts: 948
Groaned at 9 Times in 6 Posts
Thanked 1,082 Times in 454 Posts
zymogen has a reputation beyond reputezymogen has a reputation beyond reputezymogen has a reputation beyond reputezymogen has a reputation beyond reputezymogen has a reputation beyond reputezymogen has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Looks like the shops in Switzerland could stay open a bit longer in weekdays

I really don't need 24 hour shopping or the stores to be open on Sundays, I'm happy with 2 more hours in the evening during the week.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank zymogen for this useful post:
  #26  
Old 20.09.2012, 19:14
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Looks like the shops in Switzerland could stay open a bit longer in weekdays

Quote:
View Post
I really don't need 24 hour shopping or the stores to be open on Sundays, I'm happy with 2 more hours in the evening during the week.
I agree. The shops can't be expected to cater for the few that work from the crack of dawn to after 8pm on a daily basis. I also don't have a "9-5 job" but I can normally organise myself so our family doesn't starve. If I can't make it to a shop before 9pm at least one night per week I have failed as a human being.

I think the people working such crazy hours should perhaps ask themselves if it's the shops that need to change or themselves. Once when I was working long hours myself before my son came along and I was footloose and fancy free, I worked out my hourly rate for working 14 hour days and realised I was working for less than a shelf stacker in a supermarket...

There IS more to life.
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #27  
Old 20.09.2012, 19:20
Jobsrobertsharpii's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Z-U-R-I-C-H
Posts: 2,335
Groaned at 173 Times in 124 Posts
Thanked 3,384 Times in 1,536 Posts
Jobsrobertsharpii has a reputation beyond reputeJobsrobertsharpii has a reputation beyond reputeJobsrobertsharpii has a reputation beyond reputeJobsrobertsharpii has a reputation beyond reputeJobsrobertsharpii has a reputation beyond reputeJobsrobertsharpii has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Looks like the shops in Switzerland could stay open a bit longer in weekdays

Quote:
I agree. The shops can't be expected to cater for the few that work from the crack of dawn to after 8pm on a daily basis. I also don't have a "9-5 job" but I can normally organise myself so our family doesn't starve. If I can't make it to a shop before 9pm at least one night per week I have failed as a human being.

I think the people working such crazy hours should perhaps ask themselves if it's the shops that need to change or themselves. Once when I was working long hours myself before my son came along and I was footloose and fancy free, I worked out my hourly rate for working 14 hour days and realised I was working for less than a shelf stacker in a supermarket...

There IS more to life.
Yes, but what if they're doing something they truly enjoy that much?

Or, what if it's a one-off occurrence because of a project, crisis, etc?

I, personally, don't think all the shops should be open especially late, but just enough so that it isn't a nightmare if you happen to work late/have an emergency come up and that it's profitable to the shipowners.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 20.09.2012, 19:27
JBZ86's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Zurich and various mountains
Posts: 3,709
Groaned at 520 Times in 337 Posts
Thanked 4,258 Times in 1,944 Posts
JBZ86 has a reputation beyond reputeJBZ86 has a reputation beyond reputeJBZ86 has a reputation beyond reputeJBZ86 has a reputation beyond reputeJBZ86 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Looks like the shops in Switzerland could stay open a bit longer in weekdays

Before it gets too post happy on 24hr I too don't think 24hr is necessary here. But, 10pm for all big/main supermarkets would be nice, along with a day 12pm
- 8pm Sunday opening.

I know HB is open on Sunday, but bit of a mission.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank JBZ86 for this useful post:
  #29  
Old 20.09.2012, 19:30
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Looks like the shops in Switzerland could stay open a bit longer in weekdays

Quote:
View Post
Yes, but what if they're doing something they truly enjoy that much?

Or, what if it's a one-off occurrence because of a project, crisis, etc?

I, personally, don't think all the shops should be open especially late, but just enough so that it isn't a nightmare if you happen to work late/have an emergency come up and that it's profitable to the shipowners.
I don't think it's enough to tip the balance for the supermarkets to see it as a viable development.

I think they've kind of taken care of it by offering online ordering and delivery to anywhere (home, office or neighbour) till late at night. If someone can't manage that, they have problems with their time management not the shop opening times.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 20.09.2012, 20:23
Wallabies's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Winterthur
Posts: 3,219
Groaned at 311 Times in 176 Posts
Thanked 3,314 Times in 1,577 Posts
Wallabies has a reputation beyond reputeWallabies has a reputation beyond reputeWallabies has a reputation beyond reputeWallabies has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Looks like the shops in Switzerland could stay open a bit longer in weekdays

Quote:
View Post
some of us have real jobs. and by real, i mean one that beings before 8am and ends after 8pm and consists mostly of goofing around on the internet!
And you are incapable of finding a single day when you put some time aside to do a shop or go on a saturday. Its a matter of being organised all the longer hours achieve is making society lazy.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 20.09.2012, 20:25
Wallabies's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Winterthur
Posts: 3,219
Groaned at 311 Times in 176 Posts
Thanked 3,314 Times in 1,577 Posts
Wallabies has a reputation beyond reputeWallabies has a reputation beyond reputeWallabies has a reputation beyond reputeWallabies has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Looks like the shops in Switzerland could stay open a bit longer in weekdays

Quote:
View Post
The UK solved this problem, by recognising not everyone is a 9-5 worker, or retired or prepared to get up and do their supermarket shopping before work, or have time after work to shop.

They brought in the brilliant, innovating, ground breaking concept of:

This is one of the reasons the UK is in such dire straits at the moment, ASDA has destroyed the normal shops on the High Street and killed off the farming communities by forcing the purchase prices so low that these communities were made unviable. ASDA may provide cheap shopping but it comes at a higher cost to society
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Wallabies for this useful post:
  #32  
Old 20.09.2012, 21:06
Castro's Avatar
à la mod
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: ZG
Posts: 5,697
Groaned at 126 Times in 102 Posts
Thanked 17,135 Times in 5,437 Posts
Castro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Looks like the shops in Switzerland could stay open a bit longer in weekdays

Quote:
The Tescos near my mum went back to normal hours (8 till 10?) after being open 24 hours for almost a year (except Sundays). It wasn't as successful as they'd obviously planned for; the only (few) customers they got through the night were either nurses from the nearby hospital nipping in for a pack of cigs and a Twix or the homeless coming in for a piss and to get warm.

I guess they thought they'd have got car loads of families happy to do their weekly shop at 3am...
They tend to have people stacking shelves all through the night, with only a couple of tills open plus security. It doesn't actually cost that much extra to go 24hr.
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank Castro for this useful post:
  #33  
Old 20.09.2012, 21:15
TiMow's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Fribourg
Posts: 9,295
Groaned at 237 Times in 154 Posts
Thanked 12,188 Times in 5,300 Posts
TiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Looks like the shops in Switzerland could stay open a bit longer in weekdays

Quote:
View Post
This is one of the reasons the UK is in such dire straits at the moment, ASDA has destroyed the normal shops on the High Street and killed off the farming communities by forcing the purchase prices so low that these communities were made unviable. ASDA may provide cheap shopping but it comes at a higher cost to society
Ironic really - because the name ASDA is a derivation of .......
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 20.09.2012, 21:49
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Looks like the shops in Switzerland could stay open a bit longer in weekdays

It's funny how so many here are writing about shops staying open longer in Switzerland, but in the same breath complain about prices and shop over the border....
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #35  
Old 20.09.2012, 22:03
alanshearer's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 460
Groaned at 10 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 467 Times in 215 Posts
alanshearer has a reputation beyond reputealanshearer has a reputation beyond reputealanshearer has a reputation beyond reputealanshearer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Looks like the shops in Switzerland could stay open a bit longer in weekdays

shops should be open all hours
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 20.09.2012, 22:19
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Looks like the shops in Switzerland could stay open a bit longer in weekdays

Quote:
It's funny how so many here are writing about shops staying open longer in Switzerland, but in the same breath complain about prices and shop over the border....
Shopping hours are no better in FRance
Our local supermarket is opened from 8-12.00 Sunday mornings, rain or shine - but wo/manned by the owner and his family. Their choice.

I lived near a 24hr Tesco in the UK - I went a few times, at 11, 12 and 1 am - and couldn't believe the number of parents WITH kids shopping at that time- including kids who were of young school age. Yeah - great. And having the huge hypermarket heated, lit and staffed between midnight and 8- with hardly a soul there does not make ecological sense either. Most of those hypermarkets, Asda, Tesco, Morrisons, etc - were all in suburbia and surrounded by housing estates, not in town centres btw- and the lighting, noise and litter was a pain to those living there.

I sincerely hope Switzerland does NOT follow suit.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #37  
Old 20.09.2012, 22:33
Belgianmum's Avatar
Roastbeef & Yorkshire mod
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Neuchâtel
Posts: 13,463
Groaned at 250 Times in 211 Posts
Thanked 22,626 Times in 9,241 Posts
Belgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Looks like the shops in Switzerland could stay open a bit longer in weekdays

Quote:
Shopping hours are no better in FRance
Our local supermarket is opened from 8-12.00 Sunday mornings, rain or shine - but wo/manned by the owner and his family. Their choice.

I lived near a 24hr Tesco in the UK - I went a few times, at 11, 12 and 1 am - and couldn't believe the number of parents WITH kids shopping at that time- including kids who were of young school age. Yeah - great. And having the huge hypermarket heated, lit and staffed between midnight and 8- with hardly a soul there does not make ecological sense either. Most of those hypermarkets, Asda, Tesco, Morrisons, etc - were all in suburbia and surrounded by housing estates, not in town centres btw- and the lighting, noise and litter was a pain to those living there.

I sincerely hope Switzerland does NOT follow suit.
I couldn't agree more. 24 hour opening and Sunday shopping are completely unnecessary but an extra hour or so in the evenings would be nice here. Neuchatel appears to have shorter opening hours than any of the other cantons I've been to.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Belgianmum for this useful post:
  #38  
Old 20.09.2012, 23:38
JBZ86's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Zurich and various mountains
Posts: 3,709
Groaned at 520 Times in 337 Posts
Thanked 4,258 Times in 1,944 Posts
JBZ86 has a reputation beyond reputeJBZ86 has a reputation beyond reputeJBZ86 has a reputation beyond reputeJBZ86 has a reputation beyond reputeJBZ86 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Looks like the shops in Switzerland could stay open a bit longer in weekdays

Quote:
View Post
This is one of the reasons the UK is in such dire straits at the moment, ASDA has destroyed the normal shops on the High Street and killed off the farming communities by forcing the purchase prices so low that these communities were made unviable. ASDA may provide cheap shopping but it comes at a higher cost to society
Errr no, there are far more pressing concerns then 24hr available supermarkets.

Namely around scores of benefit scroungers and foreign ponces.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 20.09.2012, 23:40
JBZ86's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Zurich and various mountains
Posts: 3,709
Groaned at 520 Times in 337 Posts
Thanked 4,258 Times in 1,944 Posts
JBZ86 has a reputation beyond reputeJBZ86 has a reputation beyond reputeJBZ86 has a reputation beyond reputeJBZ86 has a reputation beyond reputeJBZ86 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Looks like the shops in Switzerland could stay open a bit longer in weekdays

Quote:
Shopping hours are no better in FRance
Our local supermarket is opened from 8-12.00 Sunday mornings, rain or shine - but wo/manned by the owner and his family. Their choice.

I lived near a 24hr Tesco in the UK - I went a few times, at 11, 12 and 1 am - and couldn't believe the number of parents WITH kids shopping at that time- including kids who were of young school age. Yeah - great. And having the huge hypermarket heated, lit and staffed between midnight and 8- with hardly a soul there does not make ecological sense either. Most of those hypermarkets, Asda, Tesco, Morrisons, etc - were all in suburbia and surrounded by housing estates, not in town centres btw- and the lighting, noise and litter was a pain to those living there.

I sincerely hope Switzerland does NOT follow suit.
Yes lighting, litter and noise is a major nuisance in the UK, people are always complaining about it
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 20.09.2012, 23:58
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Looks like the shops in Switzerland could stay open a bit longer in weekdays

They certainly were near the 24hr hypermarkets near where I lived
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
shoping, shops, working hours




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Looks like we are moving to the Zug area! sedalbj Introductions 16 12.06.2012 11:09
mmm.. maybe I'll stay here a bit longer ipoddle International affairs/politics 0 28.09.2011 00:22
what is life like for the typical stay at home mom in switzerland jetset Other/general 9 19.04.2010 14:38
Uk Car - 12 month rule - would like a bit longer ! ibk Transportation/driving 7 22.09.2009 22:14
Fronleichnam: Shops in Baden closed, shops in Brugg open Mrs. Doolittle Other/general 0 11.06.2009 14:08


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 11:45.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0