Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Swiss politics/news  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02.10.2012, 16:42
Rob's Avatar
Rob Rob is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Baden AG
Posts: 464
Groaned at 8 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 1,337 Times in 520 Posts
Rob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond repute
Peter Spuhler to retire

The Thurgauer SVP Nationalrat Peter Spuhler is to retire from the Nationalrat at the end of the year to concentrate on his work as CEO of Stadler Rail.

http://bazonline.ch/schweiz/standard...story/14876736

Even though he's SVP he's very much of the moderate wing of the party.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02.10.2012, 16:59
RetiredInNH's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: New Hampshire, USA
Posts: 2,260
Groaned at 13 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 1,476 Times in 744 Posts
RetiredInNH has a reputation beyond reputeRetiredInNH has a reputation beyond reputeRetiredInNH has a reputation beyond reputeRetiredInNH has a reputation beyond reputeRetiredInNH has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Peter Spuhler to retire

Quote:
View Post
Even though he's SVP he's very much of the moderate wing of the party.
Yes, but as I recall he never really challenged the hard liners ... too busy running his business I suppose.

Note: I follow Swiss politics sporadically so I may well have missed something.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02.10.2012, 17:29
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 9,221
Groaned at 387 Times in 335 Posts
Thanked 16,021 Times in 8,686 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Peter Spuhler to retire

I always thought he was one of the good guys.
The tagesanzeiger headlined the article on this topic "flight from the Titanic" which amused me.

I suppose it is not a good time for the SVP now but is the ship really sinking? I gues not.
  • The Zurich prosecutor has brought charges against Bruno Zuppiger of embezzlement.
  • Frau Rickli has burn out while some of her colleagues are campaining that burn out is not a real illness.
  • Prof Morgeli lost his job & is doing complicated games with 2 lawyers.
  • Dr Spiess made some ill advised racist comments in Facebook
  • Alfred Hess is being investiagted for racism following a TV show
  • & we wait to see what will happen with the SVP bank secrecy crew.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02.10.2012, 22:02
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 19,023
Groaned at 333 Times in 258 Posts
Thanked 11,716 Times in 6,858 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Peter Spuhler to retire

Quote:
View Post
The Thurgauer SVP Nationalrat Peter Spuhler is to retire from the Nationalrat at the end of the year to concentrate on his work as CEO of Stadler Rail.

http://bazonline.ch/schweiz/standard...story/14876736

Even though he's SVP he's very much of the moderate wing of the party.
A pity in a way as he is a realistic chap, but understandable that he, just like some years ago Walter Frey, gives priority to his company. I hope that Ulrich Giezendanner does not follow suit as that is the other realist in that party.

I simply suppose however that Mr Spuhler gradually became fed up about not having too much influence in the SVP due to the phalanx of Blocherites who rule that party.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02.10.2012, 22:08
ThomasT's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: The Village
Posts: 740
Groaned at 32 Times in 18 Posts
Thanked 569 Times in 286 Posts
ThomasT has an excellent reputationThomasT has an excellent reputationThomasT has an excellent reputationThomasT has an excellent reputation
Re: Peter Spuhler to retire

There may be opposing fractions inside SVP. Look at Zuppiger. It is obvious that he was tripped up by some of his own people.

Spuhler may just be tired.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02.10.2012, 22:09
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 19,023
Groaned at 333 Times in 258 Posts
Thanked 11,716 Times in 6,858 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Peter Spuhler to retire

Quote:
View Post
Yes, but as I recall he never really challenged the hard liners ... too busy running his business I suppose.

Note: I follow Swiss politics sporadically so I may well have missed something.
Just as Ulrich Giezendanner, he DID challenge the hardliners about topics he was interested in like the Bilateral treaties, industrial norms and transportation. In my view, good was that he made sensible intelligent thoughts public and so helped matters into the right direction, bad however was that he was a kind of walking advertisement for the SVP. SVPlers in Thurgau and St. Gallen always pointed to him when wanting to show the diversity inside their party. They now are left with Tony Brunner who simply is of the Grand Ayatollah from Herrliberg
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02.10.2012, 22:09
OSueco's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Aargau
Posts: 1,469
Groaned at 317 Times in 193 Posts
Thanked 1,265 Times in 624 Posts
OSueco has a reputation beyond reputeOSueco has a reputation beyond reputeOSueco has a reputation beyond reputeOSueco has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Peter Spuhler to retire

Yes it's a pity, one of the few with some brain...always wondered why he was in SVP, e.g. he was pro the bilateral...

He probably saw that SVP will not change their future strategy...i.e:

Another nice SVP poster I have to watch going to work each day:
http://www.aargauersport.ch/wahlen-2...eder-125272657

Translation: Does it look dark for Aargau? - Send them home!
Meaning: Black people go home - we don't want you here!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02.10.2012, 22:27
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 19,023
Groaned at 333 Times in 258 Posts
Thanked 11,716 Times in 6,858 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Peter Spuhler to retire

Quote:
View Post
Yes it's a pity, one of the few with some brain...always wondered why he was in SVP, e.g. he was pro the bilateral...

He probably saw that SVP will not change their future strategy...i.e:

Another nice SVP poster I have to watch going to work each day:
http://www.aargauersport.ch/wahlen-2...eder-125272657

Translation: Does it look dark for Aargau? - Send them home!
Meaning: Black people go home - we don't want you here!
That poster is, to say it clearly, openly outright racist, even if within the legal limits. Alright, neither are all SVPler racists nor are all racists and xenophobes SVP-members, but xenophobia+racism have a strong position within the party. Add to this his economic interests. Compare it with Walther Frey who was a leading member of the SVP as long as the Emil Frey Group needed Switzerland NOT to join the E.U. but left politics when the Emil Frey Group NEEDED the Bilateral Agreements. Stadler Rail needs full unhindered access to markets inside the EU and so needs the development of the Bilaterals. A position difficult to pursue in the SVP. And of course, most of the positions of Mr Spuhler (and Mr Giezendanner) are now represented by the (http://www.bdp.info/) BDP, which may profit of the new development.

Last edited by Wollishofener; 03.10.2012 at 21:16.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03.10.2012, 13:27
OSueco's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Aargau
Posts: 1,469
Groaned at 317 Times in 193 Posts
Thanked 1,265 Times in 624 Posts
OSueco has a reputation beyond reputeOSueco has a reputation beyond reputeOSueco has a reputation beyond reputeOSueco has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Peter Spuhler to retire

Also Stadler wants to expand in Africa and India, so representing a party which disprizes black people might not be so wise...
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank OSueco for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 03.10.2012, 13:28
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 10,630
Groaned at 224 Times in 189 Posts
Thanked 22,121 Times in 9,406 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Peter Spuhler to retire

Quote:
View Post
Yes, but as I recall he never really challenged the hard liners ... too busy running his business I suppose.

Note: I follow Swiss politics sporadically so I may well have missed something.
Well, he has never made a secret of the fact that he was never interested in politics as such but went into politics because he was unhappy about the way businesses are treated and wanted to do something about it.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03.10.2012, 13:31
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 10,630
Groaned at 224 Times in 189 Posts
Thanked 22,121 Times in 9,406 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Peter Spuhler to retire

Quote:
View Post
I suppose it is not a good time for the SVP now but is the ship really sinking? I gues not.
  • The Zurich prosecutor has brought charges against Bruno Zuppiger of embezzlement.
  • Frau Rickli has burn out while some of her colleagues are campaining that burn out is not a real illness.
  • Prof Morgeli lost his job & is doing complicated games with 2 lawyers.
  • Dr Spiess made some ill advised racist comments in Facebook
  • Alfred Hess is being investiagted for racism following a TV show
  • & we wait to see what will happen with the SVP bank secrecy crew.
All of which are actually relatively minor issues that are getting the SVP into the news (all news is good news) while actually playing to the hardliners by proving that the big guys haven't softened up and still thinking very much what their voters are thinking. I don't see any signs of trouble.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03.10.2012, 16:37
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 9,221
Groaned at 387 Times in 335 Posts
Thanked 16,021 Times in 8,686 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Peter Spuhler to retire

Quote:
View Post
All of which are actually relatively minor issues that are getting the SVP into the news (all news is good news) while actually playing to the hardliners by proving that the big guys haven't softened up and still thinking very much what their voters are thinking. I don't see any signs of trouble.
Their voters are thinking "embezzlement"
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03.10.2012, 16:54
Treverus's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Luxembourg
Posts: 11,652
Groaned at 292 Times in 249 Posts
Thanked 21,812 Times in 7,951 Posts
Treverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Peter Spuhler to retire

Quote:
View Post
Also Stadler wants to expand in Africa and India, so representing a party which disprizes black people might not be so wise...
The SVP is actually an old Swiss "farmer party". All the racism and extreme right winged positions were driven by a relatively small group around Blocher and very specifically from Zurich. This did not alienate the traditional farmer but added votes in the cities and was the SVPs success recipe of the past decade. I really hate right winged populists and must have made a three digit number of anti-SVP posts on EF alone.

That said is Peter Spuhler the one exception for me: He is one of the last old style SVP guys: a thoroughly conservative, knows what he talks about when it comes to the business he runs and was also in politics a "no bullshit" type of politician. Very direct and able to explain what he wanted and why in terms an average Joe could follow. That's far from normal for some senior manager. He is far from being a populist and within the SVP regularly clashed with the Blocher demagogues. While I do not agree with him most of the time can I not help to respect him. He will be a great loss for the SVP, which is IMHO overall a good thing...
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Treverus for this useful post:
  #14  
Old 03.10.2012, 21:15
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 19,023
Groaned at 333 Times in 258 Posts
Thanked 11,716 Times in 6,858 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Peter Spuhler to retire

Quote:
View Post
Also Stadler wants to expand in Africa and India, so representing a party which disprizes black people might not be so wise...
If so really, he might better leave the SVP for good. If he wants to be active in politics still, he might rather join the BDP, which Africa/india-compatible
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03.10.2012, 21:28
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 19,023
Groaned at 333 Times in 258 Posts
Thanked 11,716 Times in 6,858 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Peter Spuhler to retire

Quote:
View Post
The SVP is actually an old Swiss "farmer party". All the racism and extreme right winged positions were driven by a relatively small group around Blocher and very specifically from Zurich. This did not alienate the traditional farmer but added votes in the cities and was the SVPs success recipe of the past decade. I really hate right winged populists and must have made a three digit number of anti-SVP posts on EF alone.

That said is Peter Spuhler the one exception for me: He is one of the last old style SVP guys: a thoroughly conservative, knows what he talks about when it comes to the business he runs and was also in politics a "no bullshit" type of politician. Very direct and able to explain what he wanted and why in terms an average Joe could follow. That's far from normal for some senior manager. He is far from being a populist and within the SVP regularly clashed with the Blocher demagogues. While I do not agree with him most of the time can I not help to respect him. He will be a great loss for the SVP, which is IMHO overall a good thing...
There are some points to be looked at. "Farmers Party"? No, the BGB was a union of farmers parties (several) with the Gewerbe Partei, a party of small businessmen. "Specifically from Zürich" ? No, NOT from Zürich, but from towns like Stäfa, Hinwil, Wetzikon, Andelfingen etc, which means in the CANTON of ZH. In the cities of Winterthur and Zürich, already the BGB was weak and rather became even weaker when Blocher moved the party to the right. "overall a good thing" ? This may have been in the pre-Blocher times, but the party now is a bad thing
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 04.10.2012, 11:55
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 9,221
Groaned at 387 Times in 335 Posts
Thanked 16,021 Times in 8,686 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Peter Spuhler to retire

Quote:
View Post
There are some points to be looked at. "Farmers Party"? No, the BGB was a union of farmers parties (several) with the Gewerbe Partei, a party of small businessmen. "Specifically from Zürich" ? No, NOT from Zürich, but from towns like Stäfa, Hinwil, Wetzikon, Andelfingen etc, which means in the CANTON of ZH. In the cities of Winterthur and Zürich, already the BGB was weak and rather became even weaker when Blocher moved the party to the right. "overall a good thing" ? This may have been in the pre-Blocher times, but the party now is a bad thing
About "overall a good thing"
I think Treverus meant that Spuhler leaving the SVP is bad for the SVP but a good thing for the rest of us.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04.10.2012, 12:32
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 10,630
Groaned at 224 Times in 189 Posts
Thanked 22,121 Times in 9,406 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Peter Spuhler to retire

Quote:
View Post
About "overall a good thing"
I think Treverus meant that Spuhler leaving the SVP is bad for the SVP but a good thing for the rest of us.
From my reading there is no indication he's leaving the SVP, just that he's not seeking re-election to the Nationalrat. That's not really the same thing.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04.10.2012, 14:06
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 10,630
Groaned at 224 Times in 189 Posts
Thanked 22,121 Times in 9,406 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Peter Spuhler to retire

Quote:
View Post
Also Stadler wants to expand in Africa and India, so representing a party which disprizes black people might not be so wise...
Are you implying that Blocher's EMS Chemie is not doing well in Africa or India?
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 04.10.2012, 17:48
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 9,221
Groaned at 387 Times in 335 Posts
Thanked 16,021 Times in 8,686 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Peter Spuhler to retire

Quote:
View Post
From my reading there is no indication he's leaving the SVP, just that he's not seeking re-election to the Nationalrat. That's not really the same thing.
You are correct, my bad

Quote:
View Post
Are you implying that Blocher's EMS Chemie is not doing well in Africa or India?
Well it is not really Blocher's EMS Chemie any more? It is Blocher's daughter's EMS Chemie.
So when somebody has to travel to these countries & represent the company it is not the Grand Ayatollah who fronts up any more.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 04.10.2012, 21:42
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 19,023
Groaned at 333 Times in 258 Posts
Thanked 11,716 Times in 6,858 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Peter Spuhler to retire

Quote:
View Post
About "overall a good thing"
I think Treverus meant that Spuhler leaving the SVP is bad for the SVP but a good thing for the rest of us.
Alright, yes if meant that way. But he has not, or not yet, left the SVP, only retired from the Federal parliament. When I talk(ed) about the BDP etc it was just mentioning a possibility. I do NOT have any piece of evidence to show that my idea is more than a possibility, but freely admit to like it otherwise
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
spuhler svp nationalrat




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
President Calmy-Rey to retire from government The Local Swiss news via The Local 0 07.09.2011 11:00
The only way for anyone to retire now is to become a millionare desperate Finance/banking/taxation 91 01.09.2011 11:52
Retire to Belize Peg A International affairs/politics 1 15.08.2010 13:41
Leuenberger to retire ThomasT Swiss politics/news 9 10.07.2010 06:05
How to retire early? PlantHead Finance/banking/taxation 83 23.02.2010 12:40


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 01:06.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0