Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Swiss politics/news
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #161  
Old 23.02.2014, 20:55
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Aachen
Posts: 308
Groaned at 58 Times in 47 Posts
Thanked 260 Times in 131 Posts
SteAlka has earned the respect of manySteAlka has earned the respect of manySteAlka has earned the respect of many
Re: Repercussions of Vote Already Starting...

Quote:
View Post
It in fact is up to the EU. According to universities in Zürich and Basel and Bern, their participation in ERASMUS is secured and settled. If not, they may become forced to join Coimbra which might give them at the Coimbra-program a boost

And links of CH universities to universities in the USA and elsewhere might become more important in case Mr Barroso wants to play ugly. But right now people apparently are optimistic that the problems can be solved
They will be solved. The only question is when.
Reply With Quote
  #162  
Old 23.02.2014, 21:28
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 19,023
Groaned at 333 Times in 258 Posts
Thanked 11,716 Times in 6,858 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Repercussions of Vote Already Starting...

Quote:
View Post
They will be solved. The only question is when.
The universities say that the problem for the time being IS solved. And Defence Minister Ueli Maurer says that Switzerland has enough time to settle the problems
Reply With Quote
  #163  
Old 23.02.2014, 22:29
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Aachen
Posts: 308
Groaned at 58 Times in 47 Posts
Thanked 260 Times in 131 Posts
SteAlka has earned the respect of manySteAlka has earned the respect of manySteAlka has earned the respect of many
Re: Repercussions of Vote Already Starting...

Quote:
View Post
The universities say that the problem for the time being IS solved. And Defence Minister Ueli Maurer says that Switzerland has enough time to settle the problems

You know how the EU works? Every time there is a contract amendment in a project, it takes something like a couple of months to formalize.

Here we are talking about a whole nation deciding to change its status. The bureacracy takes a lot of time. More than a couple of months.

Also, guys, PLEASE, try really to understand that what is said at the level of Switzerland is only the side of Switzerland of the story, what the EU will do is the other side of the problem and it will follow the interests of the EU, which are not necessarily the same as those for Switzerland.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank SteAlka for this useful post:
  #164  
Old 23.02.2014, 22:59
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 8,583
Groaned at 249 Times in 215 Posts
Thanked 11,603 Times in 6,336 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Repercussions of Vote Already Starting...

Quote:
View Post
The universities say that the problem for the time being IS solved. And Defence Minister Ueli Maurer says that Switzerland has enough time to settle the problems
About "Defence Minister Ueli Maurer says that Switzerland has enough time to settle the problems"

This is the SVP Ueli Maurer? As a famous English lady once said "Well he would say that wouldn't he?"
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank marton for this useful post:
  #165  
Old 24.02.2014, 02:37
Jim2007's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Kt. Bern
Posts: 2,802
Groaned at 55 Times in 51 Posts
Thanked 3,036 Times in 1,532 Posts
Jim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Repercussions of Vote Already Starting...

Quote:
View Post
You know how the EU works? Every time there is a contract amendment in a project, it takes something like a couple of months to formalize.
True, but it only takes a simple majority at the council of ministers to terminate a treaty, thus it is far simpler to get agreement on a termination than an amendment. And that presupposes that they can get the EU to negotiate in the first place.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Jim2007 for this useful post:
  #166  
Old 24.02.2014, 08:10
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 19,023
Groaned at 333 Times in 258 Posts
Thanked 11,716 Times in 6,858 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Repercussions of Vote Already Starting...

Quote:
View Post
You know how the EU works? Every time there is a contract amendment in a project, it takes something like a couple of months to formalize.

Here we are talking about a whole nation deciding to change its status. The bureacracy takes a lot of time. More than a couple of months.

Also, guys, PLEASE, try really to understand that what is said at the level of Switzerland is only the side of Switzerland of the story, what the EU will do is the other side of the problem and it will follow the interests of the EU, which are not necessarily the same as those for Switzerland.
A) Switzerland did NOT decide to change the status, only to change a specific point
B) Swtizerland is content for the time being that scientific research and students exchange can continue as before
C) the interests of both the EU and of Switzerland are best served by a good co-operation

************************************************** ********************************

Quote:
View Post
True, but it only takes a simple majority at the council of ministers to terminate a treaty, thus it is far simpler to get agreement on a termination than an amendment. And that presupposes that they can get the EU to negotiate in the first place.
D) Sure, but a majority in the Bundesrat is against terminating any treaty. And the initivative does not demand terminating any treaty but to amend one of them a bit
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Wollishofener for this useful post:
  #167  
Old 24.02.2014, 08:13
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 19,023
Groaned at 333 Times in 258 Posts
Thanked 11,716 Times in 6,858 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Repercussions of Vote Already Starting...

Quote:
View Post
About "Defence Minister Ueli Maurer says that Switzerland has enough time to settle the problems"

This is the SVP Ueli Maurer? As a famous English lady once said "Well he would say that wouldn't he?"
Exactly the one. The one who during the campaign was surprisingly silent, A Blocherite indeed, but not the only Blocherite who was not extremely happy about the initiative
Reply With Quote
  #168  
Old 24.02.2014, 10:40
Phil_MCR's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 12,378
Groaned at 265 Times in 173 Posts
Thanked 14,701 Times in 6,226 Posts
Phil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Repercussions of Vote Already Starting...

You know, I thought the announcement on H2020 etc. by the EU were a bit premature and petty.

However, it seems to have got the academics squealing and adding pressure to the Swiss side, so maybe it was a smart move by the EU after all...
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Phil_MCR for this useful post:
  #169  
Old 24.02.2014, 11:02
3Wishes's Avatar
Moderately Amused
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bern area
Posts: 7,576
Groaned at 51 Times in 47 Posts
Thanked 11,488 Times in 5,391 Posts
3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Repercussions of Vote Already Starting...

Quote:
View Post
You know, I thought the announcement on H2020 etc. by the EU were a bit premature and petty.

However, it seems to have got the academics squealing and adding pressure to the Swiss side, so maybe it was a smart move by the EU after all...
As I mentioned in the other thread, this was just a way for the EU to look tough without doing anything (yet). Many politicians in the EU are a tad worried that anti-FMOP opposition parties are going to make big gains this year.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank 3Wishes for this useful post:
  #170  
Old 24.02.2014, 11:42
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: St Gallen Kanton
Posts: 933
Groaned at 225 Times in 158 Posts
Thanked 1,957 Times in 893 Posts
J2488 has a reputation beyond reputeJ2488 has a reputation beyond reputeJ2488 has a reputation beyond reputeJ2488 has a reputation beyond reputeJ2488 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Repercussions of Vote Already Starting...

Quote:
View Post
As I mentioned in the other thread, this was just a way for the EU to look tough without doing anything (yet). Many politicians in the EU are a tad worried that anti-FMOP opposition parties are going to make big gains this year.
Wrong. This wasnt a case of the EU talking but not doing.

The EU did stop talks with Switzerland.

And the only reason this was done first, was because this was the first thing that was up for negotiation between the EU and Switzerland that is directly affected.

Anti-FMOP parties may well make gains, but few countries, if any, will vote to leave the EU completely. Thus, the anti-FMOP parties will make gains, but it will always be overtaken by the economic interests of the country itself which in all cases, lie with the EU.
Reply With Quote
  #171  
Old 24.02.2014, 18:24
EAB EAB is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Bern, Switzerland
Posts: 479
Groaned at 118 Times in 49 Posts
Thanked 403 Times in 194 Posts
EAB has made some interesting contributions
Re: Repercussions of Vote Already Starting...

Please take a few moments to visit swisspsi.ch.
I tried to gather as much information pertaining to the initiative and condense it - making it easily accessible to the public.

Also, I am looking for anyone interested in helping get this site translated to German, French and Italian - so if you think you can do even just a page of the site it would be a huge help! Please PM me if you think you can help.

Thanks all
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank EAB for this useful post:
  #172  
Old 24.02.2014, 19:40
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Aachen
Posts: 308
Groaned at 58 Times in 47 Posts
Thanked 260 Times in 131 Posts
SteAlka has earned the respect of manySteAlka has earned the respect of manySteAlka has earned the respect of many
Re: Repercussions of Vote Already Starting...

Quote:
View Post
Please take a few moments to visit swisspsi.ch.
I tried to gather as much information pertaining to the initiative and condense it - making it easily accessible to the public.

Also, I am looking for anyone interested in helping get this site translated to German, French and Italian - so if you think you can do even just a page of the site it would be a huge help! Please PM me if you think you can help.

Thanks all
Uhm, should not this go in annoucements or something else? We are discussing about the repercussions of the vote here.
Reply With Quote
This user groans at SteAlka for this post:
  #173  
Old 24.02.2014, 19:42
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Aachen
Posts: 308
Groaned at 58 Times in 47 Posts
Thanked 260 Times in 131 Posts
SteAlka has earned the respect of manySteAlka has earned the respect of manySteAlka has earned the respect of many
Re: Repercussions of Vote Already Starting...

Quote:
View Post
As I mentioned in the other thread, this was just a way for the EU to look tough without doing anything (yet). Many politicians in the EU are a tad worried that anti-FMOP opposition parties are going to make big gains this year.
Hey, the effects here are very real, they did something and we are pretty much blocked at the moment with only "hopes everything will get solved".
Reply With Quote
  #174  
Old 24.02.2014, 20:11
EAB EAB is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Bern, Switzerland
Posts: 479
Groaned at 118 Times in 49 Posts
Thanked 403 Times in 194 Posts
EAB has made some interesting contributions
Re: Repercussions of Vote Already Starting...

Quote:
View Post
Uhm, should not this go in annoucements or something else? We are discussing about the repercussions of the vote here.
Did you look at the site? It is pertinent to the subject of this thread.
Reply With Quote
  #175  
Old 24.02.2014, 20:21
Jim2007's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Kt. Bern
Posts: 2,802
Groaned at 55 Times in 51 Posts
Thanked 3,036 Times in 1,532 Posts
Jim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Repercussions of Vote Already Starting...

Quote:
View Post
As I mentioned in the other thread, this was just a way for the EU to look tough without doing anything (yet). Many politicians in the EU are a tad worried that anti-FMOP opposition parties are going to make big gains this year.
No it was not, it was simply a matter of course... The EU are not going to go allocating funds to any country that prevents EU citizens from being able to take part in the projects being sponsored, so allowing it to go ahead after Switzerland had blocked the particiaptions of some EU citizens (refusing to sign the agreement on Croatia) it was never going to happen. As others come up you can expect the exact same outcome.

This is an election year for the EU parliament and the MEPs will not be seen to do anything that is to the disadvantage of their citizens.
__________________
"There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living." - Nelson Mandela
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Jim2007 for this useful post:
  #176  
Old 24.02.2014, 20:32
EAB EAB is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Bern, Switzerland
Posts: 479
Groaned at 118 Times in 49 Posts
Thanked 403 Times in 194 Posts
EAB has made some interesting contributions
Re: Repercussions of Vote Already Starting...

Quote:
View Post
No it was not, it was simply a matter of course... The EU are not going to go allocating funds to any country that prevents EU citizens from being able to take part in the projects being sponsored, so allowing it to go ahead after Switzerland had blocked the particiaptions of some EU citizens (refusing to sign the agreement on Croatia) it was never going to happen. As others come up you can expect the exact same outcome.

This is an election year for the EU parliament and the MEPs will not be seen to do anything that is to the disadvantage of their citizens.
Something I read on a Swiss political blog was that Switzerland has, or will have, invested 3.6 billion CHF into Horizon 2020, and that it's expected returns was around 3.1 billion CHF ... the conclusion was that Switzerland would be better off keep it's money and investing it into it's own national education system ...

I am still trying to find the time to research this more indepth - as well as the Erasmus program ... need to research these things as so many people use these two points to shout "SEE, SEE ... Switzerland is getting a good whooping from the EU ... ", almost with glee ... but I have not seen much to substantiate the sentiment ... yet ...
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank EAB for this useful post:
  #177  
Old 24.02.2014, 20:42
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 22,238
Groaned at 1,169 Times in 916 Posts
Thanked 25,124 Times in 12,031 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Repercussions of Vote Already Starting...

Quote:
View Post
Hey, the effects here are very real, they did something and we are pretty much blocked at the moment with only "hopes everything will get solved".
Other than on this forum, I have yet to hear from anyone who shares this view, not even from those who voted NO (and I work with several).

Tom
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank st2lemans for this useful post:
This user groans at st2lemans for this post:
  #178  
Old 24.02.2014, 20:53
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 8,583
Groaned at 249 Times in 215 Posts
Thanked 11,603 Times in 6,336 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Repercussions of Vote Already Starting...

Quote:
View Post
Uhm, should not this go in annoucements or something else? We are discussing about the repercussions of the vote here.
The contents on the web site are heavily biased so the post fits well in this thread.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank marton for this useful post:
  #179  
Old 24.02.2014, 20:56
EAB EAB is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Bern, Switzerland
Posts: 479
Groaned at 118 Times in 49 Posts
Thanked 403 Times in 194 Posts
EAB has made some interesting contributions
Re: Repercussions of Vote Already Starting...

Quote:
View Post
The contents on the web site are heavily biased so the post fits well in this thread.
If by "biased" you mean biased towards facts, I would agree.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank EAB for this useful post:
  #180  
Old 24.02.2014, 21:09
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 8,583
Groaned at 249 Times in 215 Posts
Thanked 11,603 Times in 6,336 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Repercussions of Vote Already Starting...

Quote:
View Post
Something I read on a Swiss political blog was that Switzerland has, or will have, invested 3.6 billion CHF into Horizon 2020, and that it's expected returns was around 3.1 billion CHF ... the conclusion was that Switzerland would be better off keep it's money and investing it into it's own national education system ...

I am still trying to find the time to research this more indepth - as well as the Erasmus program ... need to research these things as so many people use these two points to shout "SEE, SEE ... Switzerland is getting a good whooping from the EU ... ", almost with glee ... but I have not seen much to substantiate the sentiment ... yet ...
According to the Rector of the University of Bern "Dazu muss man festhalten: In den letzten Jahren erhielt die Schweiz rund 50 Prozent mehr Geld aus der EU, als sie selber beigetragen hat"

Rough translation " In recent years, Switzerland has received about 50 percent more money from the EU, than it has itself contributed "

I assume the Rector is a credible source?

Link is here.

Would you like to share the link to your "Swiss political blog"?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank marton for this useful post:
Reply

Tags
erasmus, european union, fmop, horizon, immigration, masseneinwanderung, vote




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Immigration status of Non-EU starting a business in Switzerland alesco Business & entrepreneur 28 09.11.2015 14:26
Masseneinwanderung [Immigration] vote - Facts Slaphead Swiss politics/news 4 29.06.2014 19:59
Is there any age limits to starting a PhD? Breezy Family matters/health 15 18.11.2012 01:23
Immigration limits in the UK: what about scientists? HashBrown International affairs/politics 5 08.10.2010 00:29


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 00:13.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0