Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Swiss politics/news  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 22.09.2016, 20:11
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 1,395
Groaned at 24 Times in 19 Posts
Thanked 1,038 Times in 614 Posts
Meerkat33 is considered knowledgeableMeerkat33 is considered knowledgeableMeerkat33 is considered knowledgeable
Re: Bags and Swiss retail

I like that in Switzerland you can still get plastic bags, I use them for everything, otherwise I would have to buy some for trash/lunch/etc.
Eco-bags, if they are resistant, are also fine, but they should stay free. Not that 5 cents is gonna kill anyone, but neither it kills the supermarket.
Also the actual quantity of waste generated by plastic bags in supermarkets is minimal compared to the packaging, it's just psychological. In some countries like italy they are a problem because people leave them on the beach and then they finish into the sea, but that doesn't happen in Switzerland, they are picked up sooner or later.
I also think that most people in CH actually reuses these bags one way or another, and not trash them directly.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Meerkat33 for this useful post:
  #22  
Old 22.09.2016, 20:24
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: CH
Posts: 10,975
Groaned at 2,037 Times in 1,121 Posts
Thanked 5,139 Times in 3,246 Posts
omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat
Re: Bags and Swiss retail

Migros also has another type of plastic bag at the self service checkout. Guess that remains free.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 22.09.2016, 20:42
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Bags and Swiss retail

Quote:
View Post
Migros also has another type of plastic bag at the self service checkout. Guess that remains free.
That is one type of bag of which I also wouldn't oppose to its staying free - after all the customers who use those bags are doing what a cashier could (to some customers, should) be doing and therefore a free bag seems like a type of small reward of sorts for the job.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 22.09.2016, 20:45
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: CH
Posts: 10,975
Groaned at 2,037 Times in 1,121 Posts
Thanked 5,139 Times in 3,246 Posts
omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat
Re: Bags and Swiss retail

Well not to be forgotten that the self checkout maybe puts some people out of work
Quote:
That is one type of bag of which I also wouldn't oppose to its staying free - after all the customers who use those bags are doing what a cashier could (to some customers, should) be doing and therefore a free bag seems like a type of small reward of sorts for the job.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank omtatsat for this useful post:
  #25  
Old 22.09.2016, 22:01
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Bags and Swiss retail

Quote:
View Post
Migros also has another type of plastic bag at the self service checkout. Guess that remains free.
The charge will be applied per baggie purchased, at self-checkout and at the till. The bags will have a code on them which apparently will have to be scanned before paying.

The new bags are made from recycled materials only, and more stable.

Source
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 23.09.2016, 09:21
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 32
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 23 Times in 12 Posts
Styx has earned some respectStyx has earned some respect
Interesting spin that Migros is putting on all this. Doing their part to help the environment....less people are likely to use plastic bags if they have to pay for them....no mention of the millions of dollars of additional profit that the will now generate from selling these previously 'free' bags to an environmental charity or cause.

Reminds me of when Lidl and Aldi came to town and Migros took out full page ads stating that if you didn't shop at Migros, you're not Swiss...ha!

Shameless

Can't buy booze or cigarettes at Migros....but Migrolino's...load up

Last edited by 3Wishes; 24.09.2016 at 20:16. Reason: merging consecutive replies
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 23.09.2016, 09:24
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Bags and Swiss retail

So, people are discussing this and it seems most aren't opposed to the charge or find it a good thing. As is typical, some already fear a price increase in later years despite the charge not even having been implemented yet.

Has anyone seen those veggie bags Craig links to in a brick-and-mortar store - if so, which one? My post only links to the online purchasing source.

Quote:
View Post
Can't buy booze or cigarettes at Migros....but Migrolino's...load up
That's relevant to this thread because...?
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 23.09.2016, 09:25
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Bags and Swiss retail

Quote:
So, people are discussing this and it seems most aren't opposed to the charge or find it a good thing. As is typical, some already fear a price increase in later years despite the charge not even having been implemented yet.

Has anyone seen those veggie bags Craig links to in a brick-and-mortar store - if so, which one? My post only links to the online purchasing source.
Glarus.

HTH
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #29  
Old 23.09.2016, 09:29
Belgianmum's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Neuchâtel
Posts: 13,059
Groaned at 229 Times in 193 Posts
Thanked 21,570 Times in 8,836 Posts
Belgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Bags and Swiss retail

Quote:
Glarus.

HTH
Neuchâtel too.

They're at the end of one of the fruit and veg displays.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Belgianmum for this useful post:
  #30  
Old 23.09.2016, 17:10
3Wishes's Avatar
Moderately Amused
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bern area
Posts: 11,143
Groaned at 87 Times in 83 Posts
Thanked 18,854 Times in 8,395 Posts
3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Bags and Swiss retail

Quote:
View Post
...The alternative would mean installing (at significant cost) weighing machines at the checkouts and training the cashiers to they could recognise the difference between a coconut and a tomato...
Quote:
View Post
Ehm... They have done that in Portugal years ago. They didn't have to teach the cashiers anything special - they have a catalogue with photos of all fruit and vegetable they can check anytime to search the right code.

The reason was less to do with environment and more to do with people putting 3 mangos in the scale, but bagging 4...
AFAIK the U.S. also has cashiers doing the weighing and coding of produce. The scales are just so you can tell the weight of what you're buying, not the price of said weight. And I think it's similar to what Helm says, letting customers weigh their own stuff means people will put in a code for regular carrots when they really are buying organic.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 23.09.2016, 17:21
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Bags and Swiss retail

Somehow I thought this thread was about Oprah Winfrey...
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #32  
Old 23.09.2016, 18:13
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: CH
Posts: 10,975
Groaned at 2,037 Times in 1,121 Posts
Thanked 5,139 Times in 3,246 Posts
omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat
Alot of cheating goes on with pack and scan your own thing.But I guess the big shops take that into account.I have never seen them doing a spot check . Maybe just to keep you on the ball
Quote:
View Post
AFAIK the U.S. also has cashiers doing the weighing and coding of produce. The scales are just so you can tell the weight of what you're buying, not the price of said weight. And I think it's similar to what Helm says, letting customers weigh their own stuff means people will put in a code for regular carrots when they really are buying organic.
Explain?
Quote:
Somehow I thought this thread was about Oprah Winfrey...

Last edited by 3Wishes; 24.09.2016 at 20:18. Reason: merging consecutive replies; please use the multi-quote button (to the right of Quote).
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 23.09.2016, 18:25
Belgianmum's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Neuchâtel
Posts: 13,059
Groaned at 229 Times in 193 Posts
Thanked 21,570 Times in 8,836 Posts
Belgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Bags and Swiss retail

Quote:
View Post
Explain?
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...nt-Zurich.html
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Belgianmum for this useful post:
  #34  
Old 23.09.2016, 19:19
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: CH
Posts: 10,975
Groaned at 2,037 Times in 1,121 Posts
Thanked 5,139 Times in 3,246 Posts
omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat
Re: Bags and Swiss retail

Are there any posts in EF from this topic?
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 23.09.2016, 19:37
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Bags and Swiss retail

Quote:
View Post
letting customers weigh their own stuff means people will put in a code for regular carrots when they really are buying organic.
afaik this is the reason why Migros wrap everything "bio" in plastic - so there's no screwing cashiers/the store over with deliberate false weighing/tagging. They'd get rid of quite a bit of plastic by leaving the wrappers off all the bio stuff - but as long as people try to screw the system and they don't find a different more earth-friendly method of separating bio from non-bio, this probably won't change.

As far as I'm concerned, less packaging could make the greater difference than charging per plastic bag. Perhaps selling more items per package (as described in a previous post, packing more than 4-5 slices of meat per pack), selling individual bottles of 1.5l drinks rather than a sixpack wrapped in extra plastic, selling individual packets of pasta at a reduced price per package rather than wrapping 6 or so packages of pasta (which are already wrapped in plastic as is) in yet another layer of plastic and re-labeling the new wrapper. Stop selling the bloody minuscule coffee cream tubs, packets of 90 grams of crisps. Sell refills of detergent rather than only selling the huge hard plastic bottles of detergent so that they can be squashed flat. Sell larger amounts of stuff in general when possible to reduce packaging.

Etc. etc.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #36  
Old 23.09.2016, 19:42
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: CH
Posts: 10,975
Groaned at 2,037 Times in 1,121 Posts
Thanked 5,139 Times in 3,246 Posts
omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat
Re: Bags and Swiss retail

In Japan its even worse. There is hardly one item which is not packed in plastic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8RvPtAPcjw


Quote:
afaik this is the reason why Migros wrap everything "bio" in plastic - so there's no screwing cashiers/the store over with deliberate false weighing/tagging. They'd get rid of quite a bit of plastic by leaving the wrappers off all the bio stuff - but as long as people try to screw the system and they don't find a different more earth-friendly method of separating bio from non-bio, this probably won't change.

As far as I'm concerned, less packaging could make the greater difference than charging per plastic bag. Perhaps selling more items per package (as described in a previous post, packing more than 4-5 slices of meat per pack), selling individual bottles of 1.5l drinks rather than a sixpack wrapped in extra plastic, selling individual packets of pasta at a reduced price per package rather than wrapping 6 or so packages of pasta (which are already wrapped in plastic as is) in yet another layer of plastic and re-labeling the new wrapper. Stop selling the bloody minuscule coffee cream tubs, packets of 90 grams of crisps. Sell refills of detergent rather than only selling the huge hard plastic bottles of detergent so that they can be squashed flat. Sell larger amounts of stuff in general when possible to reduce packaging.

Etc. etc.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 23.09.2016, 19:42
Captain Greybeard's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sarganserland / NW Lower Penin
Posts: 3,520
Groaned at 43 Times in 37 Posts
Thanked 7,410 Times in 2,314 Posts
Captain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Bags and Swiss retail

Quote:
View Post
Are there any posts in EF from this topic?
Great introduction. Welcome to Switzerland and the EF.

Please note that the name of the country is Switzerland, not Swiss. Brown sugar can be made by adding two tablespoons of molasses to one cup of ordinary white (sucrose) sugar. And flushing the toilet after 10 p.m. is not forbidden by law.

Oh, and before posting questions on a thread that has been dead for eight years, please read the stickies and use the search function.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Captain Greybeard for this useful post:
  #38  
Old 23.09.2016, 19:52
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: CH
Posts: 10,975
Groaned at 2,037 Times in 1,121 Posts
Thanked 5,139 Times in 3,246 Posts
omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat
Re: Bags and Swiss retail

I did use the search funktion on Oprah and nothing. And the thing with Oprah happened in 2013
Quote:
View Post
Great introduction. Welcome to Switzerland and the EF.

Please note that the name of the country is Switzerland, not Swiss. Brown sugar can be made by adding two tablespoons of molasses to one cup of ordinary white (sucrose) sugar. And flushing the toilet after 10 p.m. is not forbidden by law.

Oh, and before posting questions on a thread that has been dead for eight years, please read the stickies and use the search function.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 23.09.2016, 19:54
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Bags and Swiss retail

Quote:
View Post
I did use the search funktion on Oprah and nothing. And the thing with Oprah happened in 2013
Google-powered search gives you multiple pages of results
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 23.09.2016, 19:55
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Bags and Swiss retail

Quote:
View Post
I did use the search funktion on Oprah and nothing. And the thing with Oprah happened in 2013
It was a joke. Move on before you embarrass yourself further.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Shop selling Swiss army bags? MKKara Other/general 1 03.12.2012 11:29
The right bank… [with UK and CH Retail Presence] fat boy Finance/banking/taxation 2 08.11.2012 16:36
what to do with bags and bags of chili peppers? rob1 Food and drink 15 30.08.2012 17:05
Swiss retail giants call for weaker franc The Local Swiss politics/news 74 09.01.2012 12:32
online retail and shipping Krazy8s Business & entrepreneur 9 18.04.2011 16:10


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:48.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0