Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Swiss politics/news  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 05.12.2017, 11:20
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The Future of Switzerland

They need to do something about the traffic. Two lane roads are not wide enough, and one gets the impression the country does not have the carrying capacity to take in more people.

The intersection of the A1 and A2 highways may become a metropolis of its own because there is still space there to develop. The Argauers may become the cosmopolitans, the Zürchers become the townies as the Baslers and Luzerners.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 05.12.2017, 12:03
robBob's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 2,417
Groaned at 45 Times in 32 Posts
Thanked 2,152 Times in 1,168 Posts
robBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Future of Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
They need to do something about the traffic. Two lane roads are not wide enough, and one gets the impression the country does not have the carrying capacity to take in more people.

The intersection of the A1 and A2 highways may become a metropolis of its own because there is still space there to develop. The Argauers may become the cosmopolitans, the Zürchers become the townies as the Baslers and Luzerners.
What traffic?

Name:  ac02275f64bd53552214580129f1b4b6.jpg
Views: 530
Size:  86.7 KB
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank robBob for this useful post:
  #23  
Old 05.12.2017, 12:10
baboon's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Rheintal
Posts: 4,060
Groaned at 155 Times in 134 Posts
Thanked 7,093 Times in 3,254 Posts
baboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Future of Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
They need to do something about the traffic. Two lane roads are not wide enough, and one gets the impression the country does not have the carrying capacity to take in more people.

The intersection of the A1 and A2 highways may become a metropolis of its own because there is still space there to develop. The Argauers may become the cosmopolitans, the Zürchers become the townies as the Baslers and Luzerners.
They need to do nothing about the traffic. It's very simple - more road capacity equals more traffic. New roads are for the most part self-defeating and in the end just result in even more environmental damage without gaining one anything significant.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank baboon for this useful post:
  #24  
Old 05.12.2017, 12:12
Treverus's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Luxembourg
Posts: 11,749
Groaned at 297 Times in 254 Posts
Thanked 22,120 Times in 8,034 Posts
Treverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Future of Switzerland

The roads are fine. The problems are:
a) that people hog the left lane and hardly ever use the right one... that would not change with three lanes either, but might change with the current legal attempts to allow overtaking on the right.

b) that the vast majority of cars is empty with only one or max two people in them. That's exactly what ride sharing companies like Uber are trying to change - Uber is pretty much the most morally rotten company around in 2017, but their vision of self driving cars that adapt routes in real time to pick up and drop off as many people as possible is indeed the future for urban areas.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Treverus for this useful post:
  #25  
Old 05.12.2017, 12:24
robBob's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 2,417
Groaned at 45 Times in 32 Posts
Thanked 2,152 Times in 1,168 Posts
robBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Future of Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
The roads are fine. The problems are:
a) that people hog the left lane and hardly ever use the right one... that would not change with three lanes either, but might change with the current legal attempts to allow overtaking on the right.
The ideal autobahn has at least 3 lanes. The middle lane is for the ones asleep at the wheel (at least 80% of the traffic). The left lane is for speeders and guys who need to get home to their martinis. And the right lane is for trucks and for entering and exiting the highway. In any case roads will be obsolete in future Switzerland, cause Uber will fly you wherever you need to go!
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank robBob for this useful post:
  #26  
Old 05.12.2017, 12:27
Uncle Max's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Züri
Posts: 7,582
Groaned at 171 Times in 111 Posts
Thanked 8,424 Times in 3,486 Posts
Uncle Max has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Max has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Max has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Max has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Max has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Future of Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
... Uber is pretty much the most morally rotten company around in 2017, but their vision of self driving cars that adapt routes in real time to pick up and drop off as many people as possible is indeed the future for urban areas.
Are Swiss consumers willing to ride share in order to save a few bucks? I've no idea about the ride sharing model of Uber but I'd imagine it'd be a niche service here.

Last edited by Uncle Max; 05.12.2017 at 12:54. Reason: grammar
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Uncle Max for this useful post:
  #27  
Old 05.12.2017, 12:34
Uncle Max's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Züri
Posts: 7,582
Groaned at 171 Times in 111 Posts
Thanked 8,424 Times in 3,486 Posts
Uncle Max has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Max has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Max has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Max has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Max has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Future of Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
The ideal autobahn has at least 3 lanes. The middle lane is for the ones asleep at the wheel (at least 80% of the traffic). The left lane is for speeders and guys who need to get home to their martinis. And the right lane is for trucks and for entering and exiting the highway. In any case roads will be obsolete in future Switzerland, cause Uber will fly you wherever you need to go!
I imagine self driving cars will make things a little less congested, or rather they'll optimise the available space. Still unsure how I feel about letting a robot take control; perhaps I have too much faith in fellow man.

I'd like to see less trucks on the road but on the whole Switzerland doesn't feel too bad compared to the frustrating congestion in the UK.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Uncle Max for this useful post:
  #28  
Old 05.12.2017, 12:37
Treverus's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Luxembourg
Posts: 11,749
Groaned at 297 Times in 254 Posts
Thanked 22,120 Times in 8,034 Posts
Treverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Future of Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
Are Swiss consumers are willing to ride share in order to save a few bucks? I've no idea about the ride sharing model of Uber but I'd imagine it'd be a niche service here.
I think that a lot of older Swiss will stick to their Cayennes till the last drop of oil has been fracked out of the national parks Trump is currently cutting up... but on the other hand do I know more than one Swiss "millenial" in Zurich not even having a driving license, let alone car. I am pretty sure it won't be Uber, but probably some overpriced "ride sharing by Postauto AG". From a Swiss perspective does this make sense as well: Instead of having bus services driving around the mountains empty can the few grannies using it order their ride and get picked up at home instead of waiting in the snow at the Dorfplatz.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Treverus for this useful post:
  #29  
Old 05.12.2017, 12:53
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The Future of Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
Are Swiss consumers are willing to ride share in order to save a few bucks? I've no idea about the ride sharing model of Uber but I'd imagine it'd be a niche service here.
If they do, I don't think they would admit the motivation is to save a few bucks. I think they are more likely do it as a gesture of compliance to efficiency and good citizenry.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 05.12.2017, 13:02
Uncle Max's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Züri
Posts: 7,582
Groaned at 171 Times in 111 Posts
Thanked 8,424 Times in 3,486 Posts
Uncle Max has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Max has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Max has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Max has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Max has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Future of Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
... a gesture of compliance to efficiency and good citizenry.
Switzerland does this very well. There are drawbacks to doing things the old fashioned way and sticking to traditions in the face of progress, but on the whole good citizenry benefits us all. Convincing people to modify their behaviour is the sticking point.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Uncle Max for this useful post:
  #31  
Old 05.12.2017, 13:07
robBob's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 2,417
Groaned at 45 Times in 32 Posts
Thanked 2,152 Times in 1,168 Posts
robBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Future of Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
I am pretty sure it won't be Uber, but probably some overpriced "ride sharing by Postauto AG". From a Swiss perspective does this make sense as well: Instead of having bus services driving around the mountains empty can the few grannies using it order their ride and get picked up at home instead of waiting in the snow at the Dorfplatz.
You could be correct about Postauto AG!

Name:  csm_Anreise_S_H_Horse-Carriage-Mountain-Trail_05_R_31daddc400.jpg
Views: 513
Size:  71.1 KB
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank robBob for this useful post:
  #32  
Old 05.12.2017, 13:25
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The Future of Switzerland

One of the things that frustrate me about Switzerland is the variety of products on the shelves. For example, I had difficulties finding baking soda and hydrogen peroxide. I'm finding I am ordering more and more online for delivery to Germany. At some point, Switzerland needs to address this, as we cannot exist simply to enrich Jeff Bezos.

Switzerland is not alone in this regard, but we desperately need a wider range of alternatives to Amazon, Ebay, etc.

Are we getting paid for brainstorming?
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 05.12.2017, 14:19
TobiasM's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Zürich
Posts: 1,263
Groaned at 183 Times in 131 Posts
Thanked 2,771 Times in 1,281 Posts
TobiasM has a reputation beyond reputeTobiasM has a reputation beyond reputeTobiasM has a reputation beyond reputeTobiasM has a reputation beyond reputeTobiasM has a reputation beyond reputeTobiasM has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Future of Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
One of the things that frustrate me about Switzerland is the variety of products on the shelves. For example, I had difficulties finding baking soda and hydrogen peroxide. I'm finding I am ordering more and more online for delivery to Germany. At some point, Switzerland needs to address this, as we cannot exist simply to enrich Jeff Bezos.

Switzerland is not alone in this regard, but we desperately need a wider range of alternatives to Amazon, Ebay, etc.

Are we getting paid for brainstorming?
Are you building bombs or bleaching hair?
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 05.12.2017, 14:21
pdofr's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Aargau
Posts: 163
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 260 Times in 137 Posts
pdofr is considered knowledgeablepdofr is considered knowledgeablepdofr is considered knowledgeable
Re: The Future of Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
I can totally see the Swiss embracing autonomous AI agents for most bureaucratic processes. I think this desire to perfect "the system" is in their genes.
The academic world is all abuzz at the prospect of AI, but in reality it's vastly overrated at the moment.

Read "Weapons of Math Destruction" if you really want to get scared about the misuses AI can be put to.

(I've just started reading it and while I've not got far into it, it paints a bleak picture)
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank pdofr for this useful post:
  #35  
Old 05.12.2017, 14:24
TobiasM's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Zürich
Posts: 1,263
Groaned at 183 Times in 131 Posts
Thanked 2,771 Times in 1,281 Posts
TobiasM has a reputation beyond reputeTobiasM has a reputation beyond reputeTobiasM has a reputation beyond reputeTobiasM has a reputation beyond reputeTobiasM has a reputation beyond reputeTobiasM has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Future of Switzerland

I am looking forward to a diverse and culturally mixed Switzerland, where I can order curried Rösti or Vietnamese style Alper Macaroni and there will be prayer calls yodelled in Zermatt and Krishna chanting cow herders
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 05.12.2017, 14:53
Uncle Max's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Züri
Posts: 7,582
Groaned at 171 Times in 111 Posts
Thanked 8,424 Times in 3,486 Posts
Uncle Max has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Max has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Max has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Max has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Max has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Future of Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
One of the things that frustrate me about Switzerland is the variety of products on the shelves. For example, I had difficulties finding baking soda and hydrogen peroxide. I'm finding I am ordering more and more online for delivery to Germany. At some point, Switzerland needs to address this, as we cannot exist simply to enrich Jeff Bezos.

Switzerland is not alone in this regard, but we desperately need a wider range of alternatives to Amazon, Ebay, etc.
I'm interested in how retail is going to survive here. Everyone wants inexpensive goods and cries blue murder when they see Swiss retail prices. Unless you're a chainstore, it's becoming harder and harder to make a living running a shop. I'm certain the digital economy is not a substitute for having people prepared to advise and inform in situ. I can't stand the Apple Store muddled experience, but it seems I'm an outlier.

Pop Ups are everywhere here in Zurich. Rental conditions have a lot to do with this phenomenon but surely there's a middle ground? Shopping online is not wow as an experience and the monoculture of highstreets is depressing.

Quote:
View Post
Are we getting paid for brainstorming?
Yeah, here, have some EFKoins. The opinions of foreigners ought to be considered and for many without a political voice this thread may be a good substitute for the discussion of what we would like to see in our collective future.

It may seem like harmless chit chat on such Fora, but although disparate we have a powerful voice and I know there are parties interested in what we have to say.
__________________
Wave ¦ Synthpop ¦ 80's ¦ Alternative ¦ Party ¦ Sat 24.03 Provitreff Zurich
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 05.12.2017, 15:23
RTN RTN is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Uetikon am See
Posts: 1,405
Groaned at 12 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 1,569 Times in 701 Posts
RTN has a reputation beyond reputeRTN has a reputation beyond reputeRTN has a reputation beyond reputeRTN has a reputation beyond reputeRTN has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Future of Switzerland

I hope there is more equality in the future.

Just one simple change in education could make this happen - day schools, ie kids stay in school over lunch and basically are there 8 to 4, 5 days a week. With the cost of extra care needed over and above school hours being a big deterrent to working couples/families as earnings barely cover childcare in a lot of cases. This then gives the (predominantly female) stay at home partner an opportunity to work (if they choose), with more females in the workplace I would hope lead to more balanced roles in family life. We will also need these tax payers to support an aging population.

More on this here. https://www.englishforum.ch/educatio...itzerland.html

Introduce mandatory voting to force people to think about issues.

Last edited by RTN; 05.12.2017 at 15:31. Reason: More thoughts.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank RTN for this useful post:
  #38  
Old 05.12.2017, 15:32
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The Future of Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
Are you building bombs or bleaching hair?
Way more mundane - cleaning bathroom tile grout. The strongest I find over the counter is 3% hydrogen peroxide. I can find 11% on Amazon.

The range of products and inventory is narrower here in Switzerland. This may be due to shipping and import bureaucracies. I don't understand why that couldn't be addressed through more efficient data processing.

I have a suspicion the flow of goods is being held back by cartels in CH.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #39  
Old 05.12.2017, 16:30
robBob's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 2,417
Groaned at 45 Times in 32 Posts
Thanked 2,152 Times in 1,168 Posts
robBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Future of Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
One of the things that frustrate me about Switzerland is the variety of products on the shelves. For example, I had difficulties finding baking soda and hydrogen peroxide. I'm finding I am ordering more and more online for delivery to Germany. At some point, Switzerland needs to address this, as we cannot exist simply to enrich Jeff Bezos.

Switzerland is not alone in this regard, but we desperately need a wider range of alternatives to Amazon, Ebay, etc.

Are we getting paid for brainstorming?
There's a major need for Dollar General!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank robBob for this useful post:
  #40  
Old 05.12.2017, 16:50
PaddyG's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Pensier, Fribourg
Posts: 9,250
Groaned at 121 Times in 105 Posts
Thanked 16,857 Times in 5,912 Posts
PaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Future of Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
20% of our income goes on health insurance here. Tax plus health insurance here = same as deductible tax in UK. So no difference %wise.
You're either not earning enough, or have a sub-optimal HI policy. Our HI costs (family of 4 adults, now) will come in at < 10% of our gross income in 2018.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
business, future, science, society, trends




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hello to all from a potential future resident of Switzerland susovan Introductions 6 08.08.2016 21:38
28th of Feb voting- future of Switzerland and Europe Odile Swiss politics/news 4 11.01.2016 19:41
Future of Switzerland - Will the economy crash? Switzerlanded Daily life 106 24.10.2014 12:50
The Future of Marketing Focus Business & entrepreneur 6 04.10.2013 09:39


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 07:24.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0