Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Swiss politics/news  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old 16.11.2018, 12:55
Treverus's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Luxembourg
Posts: 11,245
Groaned at 279 Times in 237 Posts
Thanked 21,001 Times in 7,641 Posts
Treverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Zurich company illegally supports the European Right

Quote:
View Post
I read it as "county" not "country".
Thank you.


Simply put: Germany has a mix of relative and majority system, voters have two votes. Traditionally do only CDU and SPD win the counties, parties like the greens, the far left and the far right usually get their seats through the relative votes. Exceptions are some large cities for the greens, specific parts of Eastern Germany for both the extreme left and extreme right. (Yes, we have a problem with political education there...)


Ms Weidel has absolutely nothing to do with Southern Germany, she is from the North. After some other scandal involving, surprise, illegal donations, did she switch her membership from NRW to that place at the Swiss border. She was living in Switzerland most of the time anyways, so that made probably logistical sense. That local unit is a vehicle to get a national politician elected, nothing more nothing less. Seems like the Stuttgart guys of her party aren't exactly thrilled about it.

But amogles is doing his best to be an idiot. Well, its a Friday...

Anyways, the AfD has a big conference this weekend to haggle out their EU parliament candidates, so we can expect new details by the hour. At this point do I believe it was basically "just" mismanagement of funds and calling on friends for short term cash flow problems. However, incompetence does not protect you from legal consequences. Immunity does, but only for her personally, not the other party members involved or the finances of her organization. I am happy if they waste their time either fighting each other or the "lying" journalists... so we don't have to listen to as much trash as otherwise.
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 16.11.2018, 13:00
esto's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: CHE
Posts: 1,374
Groaned at 77 Times in 59 Posts
Thanked 3,225 Times in 1,406 Posts
esto has a reputation beyond reputeesto has a reputation beyond reputeesto has a reputation beyond reputeesto has a reputation beyond reputeesto has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Zurich company illegally supports the European Right

Quote:
View Post
It just fits right into the picture of that particular politician: One the one hand is her political agenda focused on immigration and that topic alone. Nobody in the German parliament spreads more hate against Muslims and other minorities which are "foreign to our culture" than her. Imagine some sort of female Geert Wilders... On the other hand is she a lesbian living in a relationship with a Swiss woman of Tamil heritage. its so bizarre, I really would not know what to say to her if I ever had the chance.
This is why we need to stop all the "identity politics" games that the Left likes to play, and start looking at people as individuals, and political policies on their own merits. Seperate the people from the policies, else you run into this debacle: a woman politician (+1 point), who is a lesbian (+1 point) who's lover is non-white (+2 points) is against illegal migration (-2 points) and member of a right-wing party (-2 points).

If you look at the world in this "tribal" vision, then you will always remain confused and divided...when you look at people first as individuals, it things get easier and make more sense
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank esto for this useful post:
  #63  
Old 16.11.2018, 13:02
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 26,754
Groaned at 1,671 Times in 1,280 Posts
Thanked 31,041 Times in 14,831 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Zurich company illegally supports the European Right

Quote:
View Post
did she switch her membership from NRW to that place at the Swiss border
Did she, or didn't she?

Or did you mean to say "she switched"?

Tom
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank st2lemans for this useful post:
  #64  
Old 16.11.2018, 13:40
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 10,759
Groaned at 212 Times in 180 Posts
Thanked 20,599 Times in 8,783 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Zurich company illegally supports the European Right

Quote:
View Post
This is why we need to stop all the "identity politics" games that the Left likes to play, and start looking at people as individuals, and political policies on their own merits. Seperate the people from the policies, else you run into this debacle: a woman politician (+1 point), who is a lesbian (+1 point) who's lover is non-white (+2 points) is against illegal migration (-2 points) and member of a right-wing party (-2 points).

If you look at the world in this "tribal" vision, then you will always remain confused and divided...when you look at people first as individuals, it things get easier and make more sense
The whole thing is a total non-issue, but the German press like to scrape the barrel and look for unpleasant things to say about people they don't like, or failing that to put a negative spin onto normal things. And then there are people like Treverus who swallow it wholesale and go into a trance of indignation and don't see how they are being taken for a ride.

At the end of the day both the press and him are just angry because the far right exists. Everything else is just part of the foam.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank amogles for this useful post:
  #65  
Old 16.11.2018, 13:44
Sandgrounder's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: ZH
Posts: 13,463
Groaned at 124 Times in 115 Posts
Thanked 24,377 Times in 9,422 Posts
Sandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Zurich company illegally supports the European Right

There's a certain toe-curling irony in this thread with all the grandstanding about "seeing people as individuals with their own merits"...




EDIT - soz, as you were. Just made me chuckle.

Last edited by Sandgrounder; 16.11.2018 at 13:46. Reason: Afterthought
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Sandgrounder for this useful post:
  #66  
Old 16.11.2018, 13:54
Treverus's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Luxembourg
Posts: 11,245
Groaned at 279 Times in 237 Posts
Thanked 21,001 Times in 7,641 Posts
Treverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Zurich company illegally supports the European Right

Quote:
View Post
There's a certain toe-curling irony in this thread with all the grandstanding about "seeing people as individuals with their own merits"...
Yes, Ms Weidel is very good at seeing people as individuals and would never ever cast any prejudice on anyone... like "girls with headscarfs and other useless folks": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIXZ7LZWShE
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Treverus for this useful post:
  #67  
Old 16.11.2018, 14:02
Sandgrounder's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: ZH
Posts: 13,463
Groaned at 124 Times in 115 Posts
Thanked 24,377 Times in 9,422 Posts
Sandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Zurich company illegally supports the European Right

Quote:
View Post
Yes, Ms Weidel is very good at seeing people as individuals and would never ever cast any prejudice on anyone... like "girls with headscarfs and other useless folks": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIXZ7LZWShE
Wow, she's quite an angry person, isn't she? Wouldn't like to mess up on her drinks order...
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 16.11.2018, 14:54
esto's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: CHE
Posts: 1,374
Groaned at 77 Times in 59 Posts
Thanked 3,225 Times in 1,406 Posts
esto has a reputation beyond reputeesto has a reputation beyond reputeesto has a reputation beyond reputeesto has a reputation beyond reputeesto has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Zurich company illegally supports the European Right

Quote:
View Post
There's a certain toe-curling irony in this thread with all the grandstanding about "seeing people as individuals with their own merits"...
Quote:
View Post
Yes, Ms Weidel is very good at seeing people as individuals and would never ever cast any prejudice on anyone... like "girls with headscarfs and other useless folks": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIXZ7LZWShE
Headscarves is actually perfect example. It's a normal thing in the Middle East, but in EU alot of people don't see it as a part of our society, or as repression of womens freedoms, and want them banned. Nothing to do with the character of the person wearing it, they may be a fine person or not, like anyone else, it's simply about the headscarf, not the person. Why is this difficult to understand? Does it go against the "everyone is Islamophobic and racist!!!" way that radical-Leftists like to view the world as?
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 16.11.2018, 14:59
Sandgrounder's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: ZH
Posts: 13,463
Groaned at 124 Times in 115 Posts
Thanked 24,377 Times in 9,422 Posts
Sandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Zurich company illegally supports the European Right

Quote:
View Post
Headscarves is actually perfect example. It's a normal thing in the Middle East, but in EU alot of people don't see it as a part of our society, or as repression of womens freedoms, and want them banned. Nothing to do with the character of the person wearing it, they may be a fine person or not, like anyone else, it's simply about the headscarf, not the person. Why is this difficult to understand? Does it go against the "everyone is Islamophobic and racist!!!" way that radical-Leftists like to view the world as?
I'll have to defer to your extensive knowledge of radical-Leftists in that case. I don't know any.

My "leftist-ness" is wear what you like, do what you like, say what you like just don't be a dickhead about it, and don't expect me to agree with it all the time. Probably a bit simplistic for the right-wing to grasp.
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 16.11.2018, 15:05
esto's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: CHE
Posts: 1,374
Groaned at 77 Times in 59 Posts
Thanked 3,225 Times in 1,406 Posts
esto has a reputation beyond reputeesto has a reputation beyond reputeesto has a reputation beyond reputeesto has a reputation beyond reputeesto has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Zurich company illegally supports the European Right

Quote:
View Post
I'll have to defer to your extensive knowledge of radical-Leftists in that case. I don't know any.

My "leftist-ness" is wear what you like, do what you like, say what you like just don't be a dickhead about it, and don't expect me to agree with it all the time. Probably a bit simplistic for the right-wing to grasp.
That was the Leftists of about 30 years ago...and actually how many right-wing people describe themselves today, or at least the libertarians. The radical-Leftists of today are telling everyone very forcefully how to act, think, behave, etc.. and if you don't agree with them, then they take you down, de-platform you, riot, protest, etc... not very much the "live and let live" attitude it used to be...
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 16.11.2018, 15:10
Sandgrounder's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: ZH
Posts: 13,463
Groaned at 124 Times in 115 Posts
Thanked 24,377 Times in 9,422 Posts
Sandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Zurich company illegally supports the European Right

Quote:
View Post
That was the Leftists of about 30 years ago...and actually how many right-wing people describe themselves today, or at least the libertarians. The radical-Leftists of today are telling everyone very forcefully how to act, think, behave, etc.. and if you don't agree with them, then they take you down, de-platform you, riot, protest, etc... not very much the "live and let live" attitude it used to be...
All sounds a bit comedy-dramatic. Funny to think nobody was particularly "forceful" or protesting or rioting 30 years ago, and everyone was of the "live and let live" way of life. Sounds like I was born too late. Ho hum...
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Sandgrounder for this useful post:
  #72  
Old 16.11.2018, 15:30
Treverus's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Luxembourg
Posts: 11,245
Groaned at 279 Times in 237 Posts
Thanked 21,001 Times in 7,641 Posts
Treverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Zurich company illegally supports the European Right

Quote:
View Post
it's simply about the headscarf, not the person. Why is this difficult to understand?
Do you actually understand the speech she gave?


I should not waste any time on your bizarre ramblings, but there is very little space for interpretation left when it comes to her as well as her party.


Friedrich Merz, one of the most conservative politicians in Germany who is pretty much along your positions when it comes to ultra neocpitalism... called the AfD "openly nationalsocialistic". Its not some tree-huggers who try to paint them in some negative way... The AfD openly suggested that refugees who try to cross a border without a passport and visa should be shot on sight. Including children. Give me your analysis how leftist me is getting it all wrong...
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 16.11.2018, 15:35
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 10,759
Groaned at 212 Times in 180 Posts
Thanked 20,599 Times in 8,783 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Zurich company illegally supports the European Right

Quote:
View Post

Friedrich Merz, one of the most conservative politicians in Germany who is pretty much along your positions when it comes to ultra neocpitalism... called the AfD "openly nationalsocialistic". Its not some tree-huggers who try to paint them in some negative way... The AfD openly suggested that refugees who try to cross a border without a passport and visa should be shot on sight. Including children. Give me your analysis how leftist me is getting it all wrong...
I think you know the answer to that question and I'm not going to do you the favour of explaining the obvious to you.

It is interesting how, as you are running out of arguments on the topics brought up earlier on this thread, you are lashing out in ever greater circles trying to find other reasons to spew out your irrational and intolerant hate of people you disagree with, while at the same time pretending to be open, tolerant and democratic.

He who seeks, he finds. Especially if he also distorts.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank amogles for this useful post:
  #74  
Old 16.11.2018, 15:47
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 7,450
Groaned at 248 Times in 211 Posts
Thanked 8,962 Times in 4,697 Posts
Urs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Zurich company illegally supports the European Right

Quote:
View Post
Same thing. The conditions of carriage and fares enforcement of a transport company are within civil law. It only becomes a criminal case if, for example, you punch the ticket inspector on the nose. If Germany has a law that says otherwise, that law does not override an international human rights agreement.
That's because in most countries fare dodging isn't a crime. Where fare dodging is defined as a crime it's not (only) a civil debt and the IHRA shouldn't apply.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Urs Max for this useful post:
  #75  
Old 16.11.2018, 16:01
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 10,759
Groaned at 212 Times in 180 Posts
Thanked 20,599 Times in 8,783 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Zurich company illegally supports the European Right

Quote:
View Post
That's because in most countries fare dodging isn't a crime. Where fare dodging is defined as a crime it's not (only) a civil debt and the IHRA shouldn't apply.
Fare dodging is non payment for services received. It is non fulfilment of contract. That is clearly in the realm of civil law.

To be even able to contemplate treating it as criminal law would require a far higher bar in terms of quality of evidence and being innocent until proven guilty.

I understand there is a lawyer in Germany planning to escalate such a case to the Verfassungsgericht or some such instance. It will be interesting to see how far he gets.
Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old 16.11.2018, 16:09
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 10,658
Groaned at 351 Times in 302 Posts
Thanked 13,861 Times in 7,625 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Zurich company illegally supports the European Right

Quote:
View Post
Headscarves is actually perfect example. It's a normal thing in the Middle East, but in EU alot of people don't see it as a part of our society, or as repression of womens freedoms, and want them banned. Nothing to do with the character of the person wearing it, they may be a fine person or not, like anyone else, it's simply about the headscarf, not the person. Why is this difficult to understand? Does it go against the "everyone is Islamophobic and racist!!!" way that radical-Leftists like to view the world as?
These repressed women in head scarves

Name:  queenhs3.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  8.5 KB

Name:  queenhs4.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  7.6 KB

Name:  queenHS2.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  10.0 KB

Name:  queen_headscarf_g_976.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  40.8 KB
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 16.11.2018, 16:14
Sandgrounder's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: ZH
Posts: 13,463
Groaned at 124 Times in 115 Posts
Thanked 24,377 Times in 9,422 Posts
Sandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Zurich company illegally supports the European Right

Quote:
View Post
Nothing better for keeping one's shampoo and set in place ready for one's appearance at the state dinner, what what...

Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Sandgrounder for this useful post:
  #78  
Old 16.11.2018, 16:32
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 26,754
Groaned at 1,671 Times in 1,280 Posts
Thanked 31,041 Times in 14,831 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Zurich company illegally supports the European Right

Quote:
View Post
Is that Tubbs?

Tom
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 16.11.2018, 17:29
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 7,450
Groaned at 248 Times in 211 Posts
Thanked 8,962 Times in 4,697 Posts
Urs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Zurich company illegally supports the European Right

Quote:
View Post
Fare dodging is non payment for services received. It is non fulfilment of contract. That is clearly in the realm of civil law.

To be even able to contemplate treating it as criminal law would require a far higher bar in terms of quality of evidence and being innocent until proven guilty.

I understand there is a lawyer in Germany planning to escalate such a case to the Verfassungsgericht or some such instance. It will be interesting to see how far he gets.
Nope, without payment there is no contract. In my mind, getting others to provide a service with them expecting to get paid, but without you intending to actually pay, is essentially fraud. However the hurdles are indeed fairly high, the first times you get a fine (until the bad intent becomes undeniable).
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Urs Max for this useful post:
  #80  
Old 16.11.2018, 18:31
esto's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: CHE
Posts: 1,374
Groaned at 77 Times in 59 Posts
Thanked 3,225 Times in 1,406 Posts
esto has a reputation beyond reputeesto has a reputation beyond reputeesto has a reputation beyond reputeesto has a reputation beyond reputeesto has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Zurich company illegally supports the European Right

Quote:
View Post
All sounds a bit comedy-dramatic. Funny to think nobody was particularly "forceful" or protesting or rioting 30 years ago, and everyone was of the "live and let live" way of life. Sounds like I was born too late. Ho hum...
Even the liberal media starts to admit i's getting out of control...

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...d-line/576001/
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank esto for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Low rating work certificate from a company. This is not right! filswiss Complaints corner 19 28.04.2016 16:29
European elections: extreme right party first with 25% MrVertigo International affairs/politics 19 29.05.2014 04:27
Foot supports - knowledge sports / shoe shop in Zurich? gc2011 Sports / Fitness / Beauty / Wellness 2 07.02.2013 15:05
First the right to die, now the right to live Medea Fleecestealer International affairs/politics 31 14.09.2012 11:19
Does the insurance company has the right to stop or change my contract/policy? holicmoon Insurance 19 07.02.2012 20:17


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 23:29.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0