Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Swiss politics/news  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09.02.2020, 13:03
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Luzern
Posts: 8
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Starbuck has no particular reputation at present
Luzern Shopping Hours Changing?

Hello,
I've heard from some colleagues that the shopping hours in Luzern might get extended. I've heard a couple variations of what might be implemented e.g.:

- Stores will stay open an hour later on Saturday (until 17:00), but an hour will be taken away from Thursday or Friday.
- Opening hours will expand. Weekday open times will be until 19:00 (currently 16:30) and Saturday will stay open an hour later.

I haven't been able to find any information online or on The Local about this though. Is there any truth to this and if so, do you know where I can find information (even if in German)?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09.02.2020, 13:07
roegner's Avatar
Moderately Dutch
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 9,339
Groaned at 328 Times in 271 Posts
Thanked 10,471 Times in 5,232 Posts
roegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Luzern Shopping Hours Changing?

https://www.city-luzern.ch/ladenoeffnungszeiten.html
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09.02.2020, 13:10
Belgianmum's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Neuch‚tel
Posts: 10,860
Groaned at 155 Times in 139 Posts
Thanked 16,347 Times in 7,048 Posts
Belgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Luzern Shopping Hours Changing?

Do the shops really close at 16.30 on weekdays in Lucerne at the moment?
That seems incredibly early to me. I donít recall them being closed that early when weíve been there.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09.02.2020, 13:31
Ace1's Avatar
A singular modality
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Morgins, VS
Posts: 7,791
Groaned at 295 Times in 191 Posts
Thanked 12,721 Times in 5,628 Posts
Ace1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Luzern Shopping Hours Changing?

Quote:
View Post
Do the shops really close at 16.30 on weekdays in Lucerne at the moment?
That seems incredibly early to me. I don’t recall them being closed that early when we’ve been there.
Or 1600. Was always an issue when we lived in Engelberg, making sure that we did any Kanton Luzern shopping (e.g. at Emmen, big furniture, DIY and retail outlets) before anything in NW or OW.

We have it a bit like that in reverse where we are now, with the slightly further away shops in VD opening an hour later (1800 on Saturday) than their siblings in VS.

Personally I abhor the restrictions on shopping hours (especially, but not limited to the impossibility of buying anything DIY related on a Sunday). Not quite so bad locally here as other parts of CH or France, as at least we do have supermarkets open on Sundays, both sides of the border, due to tourism, but still get caught out now and again.
__________________
Introduce yourself!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09.02.2020, 13:41
olygirl's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: d' Innerschwiiz
Posts: 5,957
Groaned at 249 Times in 169 Posts
Thanked 13,260 Times in 4,045 Posts
olygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Luzern Shopping Hours Changing?

Quote:
View Post
Do the shops really close at 16.30 on weekdays in Lucerne at the moment?
That seems incredibly early to me. I don’t recall them being closed that early when we’ve been there.
18.30...six thirty but they still have Abendverkauf on Thursdays.

I'll be glad to see the grocery stores open longer.

I wish they had a Target or Fred Meyers here where you can get a bit of everything from one shop. Migros clothes just don't cut it.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank olygirl for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 09.02.2020, 14:00
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 14,159
Groaned at 448 Times in 354 Posts
Thanked 19,458 Times in 8,156 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Luzern Shopping Hours Changing?

Quote:
View Post
Or 1600. Was always an issue when we lived in Engelberg, making sure that we did any Kanton Luzern shopping (e.g. at Emmen, big furniture, DIY and retail outlets) before anything in NW or OW.

We have it a bit like that in reverse where we are now, with the slightly further away shops in VD opening an hour later (1800 on Saturday) than their siblings in VS.

Personally I abhor the restrictions on shopping hours (especially, but not limited to the impossibility of buying anything DIY related on a Sunday). Not quite so bad locally here as other parts of CH or France, as at least we do have supermarkets open on Sundays, both sides of the border, due to tourism, but still get caught out now and again.
DIY shopping used to be a pain here on Saturdays too. It's not just that the Hornbach et al closed at 16.00 on Saturday, it's that everyone had to go shopping at the same time so the place was always crowded.

Not a problem now as we never go to the Hornbach in Kanton Luzern any more. We go to the one in Kanton Zurich in Affoltern am Albis with longer opening hours on Saturday and not such a packed store.

As for Luzern itself, I can't recall the number of times on a Saturday we have thought of going to Luzern for lunch and then a walk and a bit of shopping and then realised that it just wouldn't work without being a rush and so haven't bothered.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09.02.2020, 14:26
Belgianmum's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Neuch‚tel
Posts: 10,860
Groaned at 155 Times in 139 Posts
Thanked 16,347 Times in 7,048 Posts
Belgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Luzern Shopping Hours Changing?

Quote:
View Post
Or 1600. Was always an issue when we lived in Engelberg, making sure that we did any Kanton Luzern shopping (e.g. at Emmen, big furniture, DIY and retail outlets) before anything in NW or OW.

We have it a bit like that in reverse where we are now, with the slightly further away shops in VD opening an hour later (1800 on Saturday) than their siblings in VS.

Personally I abhor the restrictions on shopping hours (especially, but not limited to the impossibility of buying anything DIY related on a Sunday). Not quite so bad locally here as other parts of CH or France, as at least we do have supermarkets open on Sundays, both sides of the border, due to tourism, but still get caught out now and again.
Quote:
View Post
18.30...six thirty but they still have Abendverkauf on Thursdays.

I'll be glad to see the grocery stores open longer.

I wish they had a Target or Fred Meyers here where you can get a bit of everything from one shop. Migros clothes just don't cut it.
There seem to be conflicting answers here. I clearly said weekdays as I know they close very early on Saturdays in Lucerne.

Iím more inclined to believe Olygirl and I think that the OP probably meant 18.30 (6.30pm) when be wrote 16.30 for weekdays in the first post.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Belgianmum for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 09.02.2020, 19:29
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: ZŁrich
Posts: 823
Groaned at 78 Times in 60 Posts
Thanked 1,045 Times in 524 Posts
YuropFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeYuropFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeYuropFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeYuropFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Luzern Shopping Hours Changing?

Definitely 18.30 (6.30pm)

Still feels VERY countryside if you're coming from a big city like ZŁrich.

And yes, I walked into that automatic door at Migros in Luzern once around 6.40pm
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank YuropFlyer for this useful post:
This user groans at YuropFlyer for this post:
  #9  
Old 09.02.2020, 21:36
omtatsat's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Timbuktoo
Posts: 9,475
Groaned at 1,838 Times in 995 Posts
Thanked 4,313 Times in 2,745 Posts
omtatsat is considered unworthyomtatsat is considered unworthyomtatsat is considered unworthyomtatsat is considered unworthy
Re: Luzern Shopping Hours Changing?

yes its a good catholic city. No decadent opening hours like in Zurich
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank omtatsat for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 10.02.2020, 00:05
stephen_NE's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Luzern
Posts: 1,272
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1,259 Times in 613 Posts
stephen_NE has a reputation beyond reputestephen_NE has a reputation beyond reputestephen_NE has a reputation beyond reputestephen_NE has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Luzern Shopping Hours Changing?

Quote:
View Post
18.30...six thirty but they still have Abendverkauf on Thursdays.
Thursdays and Fridays at the moment in Luzern itself (Wednesdays and Fridays in some other places, e.g. Emmen Center), but I think under the new rules it will only be one late evening per week.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10.02.2020, 17:32
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Baden
Posts: 11
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 7 Times in 3 Posts
zubingeorge3 has no particular reputation at present
Re: Luzern Shopping Hours Changing?

Are these related to Luzern city or the canton of LU as a whole?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10.02.2020, 18:05
omtatsat's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Timbuktoo
Posts: 9,475
Groaned at 1,838 Times in 995 Posts
Thanked 4,313 Times in 2,745 Posts
omtatsat is considered unworthyomtatsat is considered unworthyomtatsat is considered unworthyomtatsat is considered unworthy
Re: Luzern Shopping Hours Changing?

Quote:
View Post
Are these related to Luzern city or the canton of LU as a whole?
The catholic areas
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12.02.2020, 20:00
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Luzern
Posts: 8
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Starbuck has no particular reputation at present
Re: Luzern Shopping Hours Changing?

Iím very sorry for my typo! I meant to write 18:30 as the current weekday opening time but was thinking 6:30pm in my head.

Thank you to Roegner for the link! If I read correctly, the new hours starting May 1st will be:

Weekdays open until 7:00pm
One evening in the week can be open until 9:00pm
Saturdays open until 5:00pm

Currently, the main stores are open until 9:00pm for two weekday nights, so this is a net half hour additional opening time. And then maybe some of the stores that donít stay open as late on two nights might stay open longer. Do I understand right?

If so, thatís at least something!

I had to go to 4 different stores on Saturday to find disposable eyebrow razors (after looking online for a half hour). By that point, there was no time to left run errands. Hopefully the extra hour on Saturday helps with situations like this and reduces the amount of congestion in the stores.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Christmas shopping hours Neil MacLeod Daily life 15 25.12.2015 10:20
Neuch‚tel longer shopping hours Odile Daily life 4 25.03.2014 13:37
Shopping hours at Easter Ittigen Other/general 5 21.04.2011 23:34
Nyon Shopping hours Worrelpa Complaints corner 7 06.04.2011 19:46
Shopping hours at Christmas. Be warned! Ittigen Daily life 3 20.12.2010 08:47


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:38.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0