Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Swiss politics/news  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #501  
Old 23.06.2020, 23:44
stephen_NE's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Luzern
Posts: 1,302
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1,320 Times in 635 Posts
stephen_NE has a reputation beyond reputestephen_NE has a reputation beyond reputestephen_NE has a reputation beyond reputestephen_NE has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Border closure - Covid 19

Just back from five days in Belgium, went by car. No checks of any kind at the intermediate borders in either direction. Compared to Switzerland, the wearing of masks is a lot more widespread - I reckon about 80% of people in shops, even though it is only recommended rather than mandatory. In the street, a lot of people have a mask dangling around their neck, ready to put on. The motorway service stations in France are very empty, people must be taking their own sandwiches along with them rather than buying en route.

One odd thing in Belgium is that only one person per household is allowed in supermarkets and DIY centres, and you are not allowed in without a shopping cart/trolley, even if you only want to buy one thing. Also, you must stay with your cart - the theory being that if everyone is behind a shopping cart, this will maintain a minimum of distance between shoppers. The result is lots of couples shopping with two carts, and pretending (more or less seriously) not to know each other :-)
Reply With Quote
The following 8 users would like to thank stephen_NE for this useful post:
  #502  
Old 30.06.2020, 16:43
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Sweden
Posts: 52
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 20 Times in 11 Posts
Anden is considered knowledgeableAnden is considered knowledgeableAnden is considered knowledgeable
Re: Border closure - Covid 19

Anyone else who has any more experience crossing the border?
Reply With Quote
  #503  
Old 30.06.2020, 16:49
roegner's Avatar
Moderately Dutch
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 10,160
Groaned at 344 Times in 286 Posts
Thanked 11,920 Times in 5,799 Posts
roegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Border closure - Covid 19

Quote:
View Post
Anyone else who has any more experience crossing the border?

No issues flying to Germany
Reply With Quote
  #504  
Old 30.06.2020, 17:39
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Nyon
Posts: 3,054
Groaned at 147 Times in 107 Posts
Thanked 3,689 Times in 1,825 Posts
bowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Border closure - Covid 19

Quote:
View Post
Anyone else who has any more experience crossing the border?
Crossed into France on 21 June and back 28 June, no one to be seen at Bardonex. Sunday afternoon going and early Monday morning returning. YMMV.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank bowlie for this useful post:
  #505  
Old 30.06.2020, 18:51
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Hausen am Albis, ZH
Posts: 176
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 221 Times in 103 Posts
Massa is considered knowledgeableMassa is considered knowledgeableMassa is considered knowledgeable
Re: Border closure - Covid 19

Quote:
View Post
Anyone else who has any more experience crossing the border?
Crossed from Switzerland (Koblenz border) to Germany to France about a week ago. No issues at all. Came back a few days later into Switzerland (Rheinfelden) from Germany and the border wasn't manned. All very straightforward...
Reply With Quote
  #506  
Old 01.07.2020, 10:38
Ato Ato is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: ZH
Posts: 871
Groaned at 11 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 1,421 Times in 612 Posts
Ato has a reputation beyond reputeAto has a reputation beyond reputeAto has a reputation beyond reputeAto has a reputation beyond reputeAto has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Border closure - Covid 19

Quote:
View Post
Anyone else who has any more experience crossing the border?
I've been to Austria and back, as well as Konstanz and back with no issues. I was asked if I've anything to declare in Konstanz, that's it.
Reply With Quote
  #507  
Old 01.07.2020, 10:50
Capitan Harlock's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Geneva
Posts: 58
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 34 Times in 19 Posts
Capitan Harlock has no particular reputation at present
Re: Border closure - Covid 19

Quote:
View Post
Anyone else who has any more experience crossing the border?
Last weekend I went back to Italy with my family. No-one at the border at Thonex-Annemasse both Thursday evening and Sunday afternoon when we were back. Actually I found some police on the French-Italian border (both sides) but I think it looked like more a set up for some criminal that they thought was trying to cross the border.
Reply With Quote
  #508  
Old 02.07.2020, 10:19
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Sweden
Posts: 52
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 20 Times in 11 Posts
Anden is considered knowledgeableAnden is considered knowledgeableAnden is considered knowledgeable
Re: Border closure - Covid 19

Thanks for all the inputs. I'm crossing the border to Germany next week and will be away for 1 week.
Reply With Quote
  #509  
Old 06.07.2020, 19:12
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Morat
Posts: 18
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 15 Times in 5 Posts
ssn650 has no particular reputation at present
Re: Border closure - Covid 19

According to the IATA, as of 6 July 2020 US residents are allowed entry into Switzerland provided they agree to quarantine for 10 days:

"Passengers who have been in Argentina, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Belarus, Bolivia, Brazil, Cape Verde, Chile, Colombia, Dominican Rep., Honduras, Iraq, Israel, Kosovo (Rep.), Kuwait, Moldova (Rep.), North Macedonia (Rep.), Oman, Panama, Peru, Qatar, Russian Fed., Saudi Arabia, Serbia, South Africa, Sweden, Turks and Caicos Isl. or USA in the past 14 days are subject to quarantine for 10 days."

I've asked my girlfriend to join me here for as long as she can this summer (she's a teacher) from Washington D.C. I feel she'll be safer here than in the US and that the risk of catching the virus during her direct flight to Zürich is low. Does anyone have any advice or idea if that's true? If we wait for a vaccine we won't see each other for another year!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank ssn650 for this useful post:
  #510  
Old 06.07.2020, 21:34
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 225
Groaned at 14 Times in 12 Posts
Thanked 465 Times in 271 Posts
leonie has a reputation beyond reputeleonie has a reputation beyond reputeleonie has a reputation beyond reputeleonie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Border closure - Covid 19

Hi all, I have a question about traveling for the reason of receiving treatment. My father is a Russian citizen living in Russia. For the last several years he is a patient of a Swiss doctor whom he visits once a year for treatment. This treatment has saved his life and is critical for him.

We made an appointment back in January 2020 for the next treatment cycle for my dad to be received in September 2020, we also bought the plane tickets for my parents back then as well. They are scheduled to arrive to Basel 4 days before the start of his treatment.

I was going to come to Russia beginning of August, stay with my parents for some time and bring them here for the treatment. My flight to Russia is already canceled, and our flight from Russia is still not canceled but we really don’t know if it will take place.

I wanted to ask if anyone has been through a similar situation of bringing a relative to Switzerland for medical treatment during COVID lockdown from a restricted area? I would be very grateful if you share your experience, possibly by the private message.
Reply With Quote
  #511  
Old 07.07.2020, 09:37
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Nyon
Posts: 3,054
Groaned at 147 Times in 107 Posts
Thanked 3,689 Times in 1,825 Posts
bowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Border closure - Covid 19

Quote:
View Post
According to the IATA, as of 6 July 2020 US residents are allowed entry into Switzerland provided they agree to quarantine for 10 days:

"Passengers who have been in Argentina, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Belarus, Bolivia, Brazil, Cape Verde, Chile, Colombia, Dominican Rep., Honduras, Iraq, Israel, Kosovo (Rep.), Kuwait, Moldova (Rep.), North Macedonia (Rep.), Oman, Panama, Peru, Qatar, Russian Fed., Saudi Arabia, Serbia, South Africa, Sweden, Turks and Caicos Isl. or USA in the past 14 days are subject to quarantine for 10 days."

I've asked my girlfriend to join me here for as long as she can this summer (she's a teacher) from Washington D.C. I feel she'll be safer here than in the US and that the risk of catching the virus during her direct flight to Zürich is low. Does anyone have any advice or idea if that's true? If we wait for a vaccine we won't see each other for another year!
The HEPA filters used in commercial aircraft filter out 99% of viruses. Unless there is already an infected person in your row or the rows in front/behind the risk is very low. The dangers lie in the queueing for check-in, security, boarding, immigration, etc.

Carry a small hand disinfectant and use it and wear a mask.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank bowlie for this useful post:
  #512  
Old 07.07.2020, 09:41
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Nyon
Posts: 3,054
Groaned at 147 Times in 107 Posts
Thanked 3,689 Times in 1,825 Posts
bowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Border closure - Covid 19

Quote:
View Post
Hi all, I have a question about traveling for the reason of receiving treatment. My father is a Russian citizen living in Russia. For the last several years he is a patient of a Swiss doctor whom he visits once a year for treatment. This treatment has saved his life and is critical for him.

We made an appointment back in January 2020 for the next treatment cycle for my dad to be received in September 2020, we also bought the plane tickets for my parents back then as well. They are scheduled to arrive to Basel 4 days before the start of his treatment.

I was going to come to Russia beginning of August, stay with my parents for some time and bring them here for the treatment. My flight to Russia is already canceled, and our flight from Russia is still not canceled but we really don’t know if it will take place.

I wanted to ask if anyone has been through a similar situation of bringing a relative to Switzerland for medical treatment during COVID lockdown from a restricted area? I would be very grateful if you share your experience, possibly by the private message.
The self isolation rules will apply and I’m guessing they will need a visa. If they have that there should be no issues in coming to Switzerland. I imagine a hospital stall qualifies as self-isolation Not so certain if the treatment is on an out-patient basis. Hospital visits are still prohibited, even for close relatives.

For flights have a look at Lufthansa via Frankfurt or Munich; KLM via Amsterdam; etc.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank bowlie for this useful post:
  #513  
Old 08.07.2020, 22:06
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Zürich
Posts: 19
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 31 Times in 11 Posts
Utvandraren is considered knowledgeableUtvandraren is considered knowledgeableUtvandraren is considered knowledgeable
Re: Border closure - Covid 19

Quote:
View Post
"Passengers who have been *countries* in the past 14 days are subject to quarantine for 10 days."
What if you, like me, returned 11 days before this directive was announced?
Am I retroactively guilty of breaking the quarantine I did not know were going to be introduced?
Reply With Quote
  #514  
Old 08.07.2020, 22:50
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Horn/TG
Posts: 1,676
Groaned at 44 Times in 31 Posts
Thanked 794 Times in 560 Posts
blackbird has no particular reputation at present
Re: Border closure - Covid 19

Quote:
View Post
What if you, like me, returned 11 days before this directive was announced?
Am I retroactively guilty of breaking the quarantine I did not know were going to be introduced?
You are obliged, to contact the local cantonal authorities about your return from the 29 countries on the list of the BAG.
Reply With Quote
  #515  
Old 08.07.2020, 23:20
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Zürich
Posts: 19
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 31 Times in 11 Posts
Utvandraren is considered knowledgeableUtvandraren is considered knowledgeableUtvandraren is considered knowledgeable
Re: Border closure - Covid 19

Quote:
View Post
You are obliged, to contact the local cantonal authorities about your return from the 29 countries on the list of the BAG.
I turned myself in, now let's see how Kafkaesque this can get..
Reply With Quote
  #516  
Old 09.07.2020, 07:29
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Nyon
Posts: 3,054
Groaned at 147 Times in 107 Posts
Thanked 3,689 Times in 1,825 Posts
bowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond repute
TransAtlantic service returns to Geneva.

Air Canada has recommenced their Toronto (via Montreal) flights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=en3l...ature=youtu.be

Water cannon salute due it being the first AC 787 to GVA. 3/wk in July, goes to 4/wk for most of Aug, and 5/wk by end of Aug. Almost daily by mid-Sep then back to 4 to 5/wk in the fall. 787-8 arrives 0845, departs 1340.
Reply With Quote
  #517  
Old 05.08.2020, 14:02
jsherk's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Brutten
Posts: 356
Groaned at 7 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 375 Times in 173 Posts
jsherk has a reputation beyond reputejsherk has a reputation beyond reputejsherk has a reputation beyond reputejsherk has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Border closure - Covid 19

Quote:
View Post
I turned myself in, now let's see how Kafkaesque this can get..

Any contact from the Govt'?


I flew in last week from the US and had to fill in a form documenting where I came from, contact info and address. I hope this qualifies as notifying the officials as the form was collected by the airline for Switzerland and I live in canton Zurich. I did not receive or see anything at the airport that mentioned the requirement. Was surprised that the flight from US to London did not have temperature checks upon landing in London and that Swiss passport control not being done manually to flag those coming from countries deemed high-risk. Having some info on websites is about as little as they can do short of sticking their heads in the sand.



I have stayed home since arriving and 10 days will be up tomorrow afternoon. Looking forward to getting out and about this weekend.
Reply With Quote
  #518  
Old 05.08.2020, 14:24
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Nyon
Posts: 3,054
Groaned at 147 Times in 107 Posts
Thanked 3,689 Times in 1,825 Posts
bowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Border closure - Covid 19

Temperature checks will not detect asymmetric infectees (false negatives) but will detect others that do not have the virus but have above normal temperatures (false positives).

To have any use these checks should be done before boarding, not on arrival.
Reply With Quote
  #519  
Old 05.08.2020, 14:48
roegner's Avatar
Moderately Dutch
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 10,160
Groaned at 344 Times in 286 Posts
Thanked 11,920 Times in 5,799 Posts
roegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Border closure - Covid 19

Quote:
View Post

I flew in last week from the US and had to fill in a form documenting where I came from, contact info and address. I hope this qualifies as notifying the officials as the form was collected by the airline for Switzerland and I live in canton Zurich. I did not receive or see anything at the airport that mentioned the requirement. Was surprised that the flight from US to London did not have temperature checks upon landing in London and that Swiss passport control not being done manually to flag those coming from countries deemed high-risk. Having some info on websites is about as little as they can do short of sticking their heads in the sand.

Last time I flew there were some pretty big signs notifying you what to do when you arrive from certain countries (maybe they have added Turkey now, that was missing on the map).
Reply With Quote
  #520  
Old 21.08.2020, 11:22
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Nyon
Posts: 3,054
Groaned at 147 Times in 107 Posts
Thanked 3,689 Times in 1,825 Posts
bowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Border closure - Covid 19

From a BBC story talking about Croatia:

Quote:
Meanwhile, the Scottish government has added Switzerland to its list of countries requiring quarantine.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
border, corona, coronavirus, covid, germany, germany switzerland, travel




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
COVID - Government Aid for small businesses FindingMyFeet Employment 20 24.03.2020 11:25
Stundenlohn and COVID-19 situation trixxiee Employment 7 16.03.2020 08:55
Bern wants the (noctural) border closure in ticino Time Bandit Swiss politics/news 1 07.11.2015 10:16
Festive closure Guest Complaints corner 10 23.12.2014 12:41
End of an era (closure of The Corkscrew) Guest General off-topic 18 12.11.2008 12:33


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:04.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0