Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Swiss politics/news  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #81  
Old 28.12.2020, 18:46
Klostersgirl's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Stäfa and Klosters
Posts: 469
Groaned at 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 693 Times in 250 Posts
Klostersgirl has a reputation beyond reputeKlostersgirl has a reputation beyond reputeKlostersgirl has a reputation beyond reputeKlostersgirl has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 200 Brits Escape from Verbier

Quote:
View Post
Typical inciteful language, 'flee', 'escaped', 'under cover of darkness', 'demanded refund', etc,etc.
It's still not clear if they did break any law.
Gives the Brit haters something to chew on I suppose.
I think there was some irony in the article. The old film The Great Escape was always shown at Christmas and the article was referencing this. The Bund website suggests that special permission is required to leave quarantine so they may have stretched the rules. I dont think the language was intended to incite hate.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Klostersgirl for this useful post:
  #82  
Old 28.12.2020, 19:14
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Up there over the fog
Posts: 995
Groaned at 134 Times in 107 Posts
Thanked 1,243 Times in 586 Posts
JackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 200 Brits Escape from Verbier

'While Verbier, not far from the French border, has been the focus of most reporting, British skiers also fled other resorts – including the former Leave.EU campaigner Andy Wigmore, who compared his own family to the Von Trapps from The Sound of Music as he escaped via Paris after tough Swiss restrictions were introduced last week.

“So had the best time in wengen.swiss until the Swiss decided to lockdown the country and quarantine all those who didn’t escape for 14 days … well just like in the Sound of Music the Wiggy von Trapps decided to make a run for it from the slopes of Switzerland to the French border in less than 3 hours.” In the film, the Von Trapps are escaping the Nazis.

Wigmore was one of few British tourists in Switzerland willing to put his head above the parapet in the last week as many chose to leave their apartments and rooms, leaving meals uneaten and beds unslept in.'

From the Guardian this time - ah Leave EU or Leave CH !
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old 28.12.2020, 19:21
Island Monkey's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wallis
Posts: 4,789
Groaned at 81 Times in 48 Posts
Thanked 4,858 Times in 2,283 Posts
Island Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 200 Brits Escape from Verbier

Quote:
View Post
'While Verbier, not far from the French border, has been the focus of most reporting, British skiers also fled other resorts – including the former Leave.EU campaigner Andy Wigmore, who compared his own family to the Von Trapps from The Sound of Music as he escaped via Paris after tough Swiss restrictions were introduced last week.

“So had the best time in wengen.swiss until the Swiss decided to lockdown the country and quarantine all those who didn’t escape for 14 days … well just like in the Sound of Music the Wiggy von Trapps decided to make a run for it from the slopes of Switzerland to the French border in less than 3 hours.” In the film, the Von Trapps are escaping the Nazis.

Wigmore was one of few British tourists in Switzerland willing to put his head above the parapet in the last week as many chose to leave their apartments and rooms, leaving meals uneaten and beds unslept in.'

From the Guardian this time - ah Leave EU or Leave CH !
If you read it, he got out just before the set deadline. So he did nothing wrong!
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old 28.12.2020, 19:56
Klostersgirl's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Stäfa and Klosters
Posts: 469
Groaned at 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 693 Times in 250 Posts
Klostersgirl has a reputation beyond reputeKlostersgirl has a reputation beyond reputeKlostersgirl has a reputation beyond reputeKlostersgirl has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 200 Brits Escape from Verbier

Quote:
View Post
If you read it, he got out just before the set deadline. So he did nothing wrong!
He did nothing legally wrong, but he may have acted against Government advice in the UK depending on where he lives (Tier 3 travel restrictions for example ... "The government advice states that, if you live in a Tier 3 area like London, ‘you should avoid travelling outside your area’. That includes for international and domestic travel, as well as things like day trips.

You should also avoid staying overnight in a place other than your home unless it is necessary for reasons relating to work, education or health – or to visit your support bubble, which is still allowed in Tier 3."

However, I myself feel that what he, and all the others did, was morally wrong. It is clear from this situation we find ourselves in that there are many people prepared to do what is right for us all, but sadly there are many who, as Chris Witty said, commit one little act of selfishness and these all add up to undermine and endanger us all. Just because one just about can, does not mean that one should in my book.
Reply With Quote
The following 10 users would like to thank Klostersgirl for this useful post:
  #85  
Old 29.12.2020, 00:03
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Luzern
Posts: 76
Groaned at 7 Times in 6 Posts
Thanked 39 Times in 20 Posts
altobarn has annoyed a few people around herealtobarn has annoyed a few people around here
Re: 200 Brits Escape from Verbier

Quote:
View Post
Typical inciteful language, 'flee', 'escaped', 'under cover of darkness', 'demanded refund', etc,etc.
It's still not clear if they did break any law.
Gives the Brit haters something to chew on I suppose.
Imagine if those 200 were Chinese tourists... What do you think the tone of the Swiss media would be?
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old 29.12.2020, 00:30
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 11,656
Groaned at 190 Times in 157 Posts
Thanked 13,125 Times in 6,848 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 200 Brits Escape from Verbier

Quote:
View Post
Imagine if those 200 were Chinese tourists... What do you think the tone of the Swiss media would be?
The same.
But they would be easier to spot. With the Brits you have to wait until they're drunk first to recognize them.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank curley for this useful post:
  #87  
Old 29.12.2020, 00:38
Caleb's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Zürich
Posts: 986
Groaned at 13 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 1,688 Times in 687 Posts
Caleb has a reputation beyond reputeCaleb has a reputation beyond reputeCaleb has a reputation beyond reputeCaleb has a reputation beyond reputeCaleb has a reputation beyond reputeCaleb has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 200 Brits Escape from Verbier

Quote:
View Post
With the Brits you have to wait until they're drunk first to recognize them.
Noooooo, you would spot them wearing short sleeves and flip-flops.
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old 29.12.2020, 00:46
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 11,656
Groaned at 190 Times in 157 Posts
Thanked 13,125 Times in 6,848 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 200 Brits Escape from Verbier

Quote:
View Post
Noooooo, you would spot them wearing short sleeves and flip-flops.
I thought that was the Indians? Let's not turn this thread in one about stereotypes
Although, if I allow myself, I think the action was very English .... bet there was not one Irish or Welsh among them.

PS: Or Scott, sorry, sorry, or ..... just anything British who is not English. Gosh, I sure ain't good at this stereotyping
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old 29.12.2020, 03:23
Mr.Maquiavelo's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 336
Groaned at 69 Times in 32 Posts
Thanked 255 Times in 124 Posts
Mr.Maquiavelo has made some interesting contributions
Re: 200 Brits Escape from Verbier

This story deserves a movie 🎥... I’m getting the 85’’ TV and the popcorn in advance 😇
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Mr.Maquiavelo for this useful post:
  #90  
Old 29.12.2020, 10:42
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Zurich
Posts: 26
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 41 Times in 12 Posts
HilR has earned the respect of manyHilR has earned the respect of manyHilR has earned the respect of many
Re: 200 Brits Escape from Verbier

I'm curious to see how the Swiss authorities will deal with those Brits who appear to have broken quarantine.

At a communal level there appears to be sympathy for their plight, particularly those subject to retrospective quarantine. Plus there is clearly commercial interest and customer goodwill to protect.

At a Federal level BAG minister Alain Berset has publicly acknowledged the event. And the Federal authorities perhaps do not have direct commercial interests to consider.

How will the Federal authorities respond?

Do nothing? Which could set a precedent for future violations of quarantine?

Send a deadlined written communication to those believed to have absconded? Followed by a demand for payment of CHF 10,000? Court appearance? A ban on entering CH and/or Schengen?
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank HilR for this useful post:
  #91  
Old 29.12.2020, 10:49
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 19,359
Groaned at 412 Times in 306 Posts
Thanked 19,281 Times in 10,372 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 200 Brits Escape from Verbier

Quote:
View Post
I'm curious to see how the Swiss authorities will deal with those Brits who appear to have broken quarantine.

At a communal level there appears to be sympathy for their plight, particularly those subject to retrospective quarantine. Plus there is clearly commercial interest and customer goodwill to protect.

At a Federal level BAG minister Alain Berset has publicly acknowledged the event. And the Federal authorities perhaps do not have direct commercial interests to consider.

How will the Federal authorities respond?

Do nothing? Which could set a precedent for future violations of quarantine?

Send a deadlined written communication to those believed to have absconded? Followed by a demand for payment of CHF 10,000? Court appearance? A ban on entering CH and/or Schengen?
Anyone who arrived on the 14th-18th would have completed their quarantine,

this is a text I got on my UK phone from Sunrise on 23rd, so 1 day before the potential end of quarantine. Why did I not get it on my Swiss or Maltese phone?

"Dear guest, to prevent the spread of the new coronavirus variant in Switzerland, all travellers from the UK or South Africa who arrived in Switzerland on or after 14.12.2020 have to quarantine themselves for a mandatory 10 days from the date of arrival. Do not leave your room or residence and avoid all contacts. In case of non-compliance, a penalty of up to CHF 10,000 can be imposed. We ask you to contact the traveller's hotline at +41 58 464 44 88 or visit the SWISS FOPH-Website https://www.bag.admin.ch/entry for further information.
This text message is sent by Sunrise at the request of the FOPH. The FOPH does not have access to your contact details."
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
  #92  
Old 29.12.2020, 10:55
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 15,154
Groaned at 488 Times in 389 Posts
Thanked 21,825 Times in 8,883 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 200 Brits Escape from Verbier

Quote:
View Post
Send a deadlined written communication to those believed to have absconded? Followed by a demand for payment of CHF 10,000? Court appearance? A ban on entering CH and/or Schengen?
Can you provide a link to the EU/Schengen rule on which you base this which shows that a Schengen country can ban a person from entering other Schengen countries?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #93  
Old 29.12.2020, 11:03
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Bern
Posts: 984
Groaned at 175 Times in 108 Posts
Thanked 1,855 Times in 662 Posts
Susie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 200 Brits Escape from Verbier

The back lash is starting ... I really hope it doesn’t harm any of you lovely Brits:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...rticle-9092737

https://www.20min.ch/story/britische...e-941713934756
Reply With Quote
  #94  
Old 29.12.2020, 11:10
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Dornach
Posts: 41
Groaned at 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 63 Times in 27 Posts
gjfuzzy has no particular reputation at present
Re: 200 Brits Escape from Verbier

Quote:
View Post
Imagine if those 200 were Chinese tourists... What do you think the tone of the Swiss media would be?
Or imagine if this was reversed and happened in the UK with Swiss or other tourists leaving quarantine under cover of night and fog?
Reply With Quote
  #95  
Old 29.12.2020, 11:15
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Aargau
Posts: 120
Groaned at 41 Times in 17 Posts
Thanked 243 Times in 95 Posts
Harness is considered knowledgeableHarness is considered knowledgeableHarness is considered knowledgeable
Re: 200 Brits Escape from Verbier

Quote:
View Post
The back lash is starting ... I really hope it doesn’t harm any of you lovely Brits:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...rticle-9092737

https://www.20min.ch/story/britische...e-941713934756

The media are trying to generate a bit of outrage.

A bit like the Dominic Cummings affair.


The only show in town is Brexit for the next couple of days.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Harness for this useful post:
  #96  
Old 29.12.2020, 11:15
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Dornach
Posts: 41
Groaned at 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 63 Times in 27 Posts
gjfuzzy has no particular reputation at present
Re: 200 Brits Escape from Verbier

Quote:
View Post
Can you provide a link to the EU/Schengen rule on which you base this which shows that a Schengen country can ban a person from entering other Schengen countries?

Thanks.
I read it as a question of what might be possible, not a statement of fact

If allowed and possible, I hope they fine these people and prevent them from re-entering Switzerland for a period of time. Easier if coming direct by air; tougher if by other means but nonetheless would be interesting should their passports be checked. At the very least put a bit of scare into them
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank gjfuzzy for this useful post:
  #97  
Old 29.12.2020, 11:20
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 15,154
Groaned at 488 Times in 389 Posts
Thanked 21,825 Times in 8,883 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 200 Brits Escape from Verbier

Quote:
View Post
Or imagine if this was reversed and happened in the UK with Swiss or other tourists leaving quarantine under cover of night and fog?
Sorry but I can't imagine bus loads of Swiss skiers in Glenshee or Glencoe.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Tom1234 for this useful post:
  #98  
Old 29.12.2020, 11:22
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 15,154
Groaned at 488 Times in 389 Posts
Thanked 21,825 Times in 8,883 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 200 Brits Escape from Verbier

Quote:
View Post
The media are trying to generate a bit of outrage.
The lead perpetrator in the DM article wasn't even staying in Verbier and, with his family, left Switzerland before the quarantine rules came into effect.
Reply With Quote
  #99  
Old 29.12.2020, 11:27
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Dornach
Posts: 41
Groaned at 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 63 Times in 27 Posts
gjfuzzy has no particular reputation at present
Re: 200 Brits Escape from Verbier

Quote:
View Post
Sorry but I can't imagine bus loads of Swiss skiers in Glenshee or Glencoe.
So there’s no other tourist groups going to the UK?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank gjfuzzy for this useful post:
  #100  
Old 29.12.2020, 11:28
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 15,154
Groaned at 488 Times in 389 Posts
Thanked 21,825 Times in 8,883 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 200 Brits Escape from Verbier

Quote:
View Post
So there’s no other tourist groups going to the UK?
Not at the moment
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Tom1234 for this useful post:
Reply

Tags
brits, corona, covid, quarantine, verbier




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
to escape the heatwave in Geneva neutralname Daily life 14 30.07.2020 22:14
escape the grey PTKate Sports / Fitness / Beauty / Wellness 34 11.01.2015 20:02
Fun: Live Escape beardsy Entertainment & dining 1 20.05.2014 13:58
app to escape this weather CalGal Travel/day trips/free time 1 10.10.2013 14:54
Lucky Escape cyrus Swiss politics/news 14 14.04.2010 19:23


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 18:42.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0