Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Swiss politics/news  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41  
Old 13.01.2021, 12:04
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Zurich
Posts: 4,536
Groaned at 152 Times in 98 Posts
Thanked 7,462 Times in 2,554 Posts
Kittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond repute
Re: UBS branch office closures

Quote:
View Post
Well yes- I am an old biddie- and I do not want our small towns and villages to lose their POs, banks, local shops, butcher's, baker's, pharmacies, and for everything to be bought on line. Ghost towns, dormitory villages without souls- and older people left bereft in isolation.
I wrote my bachelor thesis on the feasibility of an online banking device and corresponding service geared towards people who are currently banking exclusively offline either due to their generation, lack of technical expertise or fear of using such tools. Banks have been closing branches at a rate of knots for over a decade now. Many people now get neighbours or family members to help them with online banking but this leaves them vulnerable to the less honest elements of society as well as them not being available to help when needed. Furthermore, if someone who is not internet savvy suddenly gets online to do banking, they are easy targets for scammers, malware and other nasty goings on.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank Kittster for this useful post:
  #42  
Old 13.01.2021, 12:23
Axa's Avatar
Axa Axa is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Suhr, Aargau
Posts: 1,712
Groaned at 21 Times in 21 Posts
Thanked 2,244 Times in 1,059 Posts
Axa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond repute
Re: UBS branch office closures

Quote:
View Post
I wrote my bachelor thesis on the feasibility of an online banking device and corresponding service geared towards people who are currently banking exclusively offline either due to their generation, lack of technical expertise or fear of using such tools. Banks have been closing branches at a rate of knots for over a decade now. Many people now get neighbours or family members to help them with online banking but this leaves them vulnerable to the less honest elements of society as well as them not being available to help when needed. Furthermore, if someone who is not internet savvy suddenly gets online to do banking, they are easy targets for scammers, malware and other nasty goings on.
Indeed, computer illiteracy is big problem. Just because people is able to unblock a phone with the face it doesn't mean people knows how hardware and software works. Most of these people is a walking disaster waiting to happen: from classic fraud to I did not read the T&Cs carefully enough.

The idea that screens are bad for some reason doesn't help. So far, I've only seen public policy in France against illectronisme, can be translated to computer illiteracy. Meanwhile, popular culture fears computers and idealizes a life without them instead of thinking about the need to master them.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 13.01.2021, 13:19
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Zurich
Posts: 4,536
Groaned at 152 Times in 98 Posts
Thanked 7,462 Times in 2,554 Posts
Kittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond repute
Re: UBS branch office closures

Quote:
View Post
Indeed, computer illiteracy is big problem. Just because people is able to unblock a phone with the face it doesn't mean people knows how hardware and software works. Most of these people is a walking disaster waiting to happen: from classic fraud to I did not read the T&Cs carefully enough.

The idea that screens are bad for some reason doesn't help. So far, I've only seen public policy in France against illectronisme, can be translated to computer illiteracy. Meanwhile, popular culture fears computers and idealizes a life without them instead of thinking about the need to master them.
I actually consulted with an "Ethical Hacker" (he gets paid to try and breach systems) to understand what the best security options would be. When I mentioned my concept to someone at the Mousetrap, they were very interested but conceded that I should have pitched my idea to banks a few years ago as they currently have the attitude that people who may need such a concept are dying out anyway and it's not worth pursuing. However, there are plenty of young people who struggle with this and who may not have sufficient knowledge to stay safe.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Kittster for this useful post:
  #44  
Old 13.01.2021, 13:50
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 10,856
Groaned at 229 Times in 193 Posts
Thanked 22,672 Times in 9,619 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: UBS branch office closures

Quote:
View Post
I wrote my bachelor thesis on the feasibility of an online banking device and corresponding service geared towards people who are currently banking exclusively offline either due to their generation, lack of technical expertise or fear of using such tools. Banks have been closing branches at a rate of knots for over a decade now. Many people now get neighbours or family members to help them with online banking but this leaves them vulnerable to the less honest elements of society as well as them not being available to help when needed. Furthermore, if someone who is not internet savvy suddenly gets online to do banking, they are easy targets for scammers, malware and other nasty goings on.
My Dad was a computer specialist in his youth. He did Fortran on punch cards and all that and knew the ins and outs of computers before most people even knew what a computer was. He programmed and ran simulations on how the next generation of computers were going to work, and there is even a method named after him. He was also using email at a time that there were only a couple of thousand email users in the world and was regularly invited by commissions and other such bodies to advise on the future of computers and on potential uses and feasibility. So he was pretty much at the cutting edge of it all for most of his life.

Now he's 82 and he struggles with online banking stuff and prefers to stay away from it. Computers today are just too different from the computers he knows about.

So f it happened to him it could happen to any of us.
Reply With Quote
The following 6 users would like to thank amogles for this useful post:
  #45  
Old 13.01.2021, 14:09
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1,229
Groaned at 107 Times in 64 Posts
Thanked 2,053 Times in 684 Posts
Busby has a reputation beyond reputeBusby has a reputation beyond reputeBusby has a reputation beyond reputeBusby has a reputation beyond reputeBusby has a reputation beyond reputeBusby has a reputation beyond repute
Re: UBS branch office closures

Quote:
View Post
Indeed, computer illiteracy is big problem. Just because people is able to unblock a phone with the face it doesn't mean people knows how hardware and software works. Most of these people is a walking disaster waiting to happen: from classic fraud to I did not read the T&Cs carefully enough.

The idea that screens are bad for some reason doesn't help. So far, I've only seen public policy in France against illectronisme, can be translated to computer illiteracy. Meanwhile, popular culture fears computers and idealizes a life without them instead of thinking about the need to master them.

I don't actually want to be computer literate or master any software. I have other things to do. If I can write and communicate, use my smart phone for messages and so on I'm perfectly happy. I'm a happy 82 year-old man anyway, don't need to master screens of any kind. My main telephone calls are made with my fixline and not being able to see the person I am talking to doesn't worry me at all.
My rent, all bills, and all financial transactions I do with 'Einzahlungsscheine' and cash. When I book a holiday I go to the local travel agent and pay cash. Cash which I withdraw from the bank and stand in a queue for. I never have outstanding debts and know at any moment just how my accounts stand.
Were I to drive into town and have to pay a parking space with my phone I'd be lost. So I use public transport and pay the train or bus ticket with cash.
As far as I can see I am at no disadvantage to, for instance, my sons who click away merrily at all possible times. But they have higher costs.
The advantage is that I didn't have to pay for an expensive phone device and don't have a monthly bill of XX(X)SFr..coming in because of clicking at all possible requests. My TV and internet connections exclude my smart phone which I have on Migros Budget - but 'what's app' is free, so no costs here. Paying per Einzahlungsscheine and cash saves me a lot of money per year, I pay Fr 5. per month for PostFinance. I've had a small 'handy' for years to take with me outside and in the car so everything is under control.


As things progress in the banking world and the path for me gets narrower I'll find a way.
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank Busby for this useful post:
  #46  
Old 13.01.2021, 15:46
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Suisse Romande
Posts: 495
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 111 Times in 89 Posts
eireann has made some interesting contributions
Re: UBS branch office closures

The irony is, the more they close, the more difficult they become to get to and the more footfall they lose. One of the reasons I'm considering moving bank is that there are no branches convenient to me. I might make more visits if there were Sometimes it's just good to do things in person.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank eireann for this useful post:
  #47  
Old 13.01.2021, 22:11
Murloc's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bern
Posts: 375
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 354 Times in 197 Posts
Murloc has earned the respect of manyMurloc has earned the respect of manyMurloc has earned the respect of many
Re: UBS branch office closures

Quote:
View Post
Agree on that, at least for some generation: recent article from a famous Spanish writer on this topic: https://translate.google.com/transla...z-reverte.html

Quote:
y cómo éstos, muchos de avanzada edad, se dirigen a ellos como si fueran de la familia, con una confianza enternecedora, seguros de que están recibiendo las mejores explicaciones y consejos posibles de aquellos a quienes confían sus ahorros, inquietudes y esperanzas.
As if!

Just take a look at the great 3a pillar advice people get in Switzerland when they talk to vendors instead of reading up on their own about their options.

Or the old people who went in for the banca etruria bs in Italy. Suggested by their trusted branch consultant of course.

Quote:
Atados a una madeja de contraseñas, toques en móviles, aplicaciones que convierten en un calvario lo que antes se solventaba en una sucursal mediante un rato de espera, un papel y una firma, obligados a moverse por un mundo virtual que ni conocen ni les interesa conocer, millones de abuelos, y no tan abuelos, miran hoy desconcertados la pantalla de un teléfono móvil con las siglas de un banco a cuyos accionistas, gerentes y técnicos, ajenos a la realidad inmediata de la vida, les importan literalmente un carajo. Y que, para más recochineo, te tutean en sus comunicaciones en plan compadre y oye, chaval, como si alguna vez hubieseis tomado copas juntos.
There it is, he's just a romantic luddite with a splash of red paint.

First he says bankers are there to help people and then says they don't care at all about the people. So which is it?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Murloc for this useful post:
  #48  
Old 14.01.2021, 01:15
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Zurich
Posts: 9
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 8 Times in 4 Posts
ecasbas has no particular reputation at present
Re: UBS branch office closures

Quote:
View Post
As if!

Just take a look at the great 3a pillar advice people get in Switzerland when they talk to vendors instead of reading up on their own about their options.

Or the old people who went in for the banca etruria bs in Italy. Suggested by their trusted branch consultant of course.

There it is, he's just a romantic luddite with a splash of red paint.

First he says bankers are there to help people and then says they don't care at all about the people. So which is it?
Those who are in the trenches may work in bank but they are not "bankers".
Like on this thread, they also might be victims.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 14.01.2021, 01:36
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Frick, Aargau
Posts: 1,161
Groaned at 27 Times in 23 Posts
Thanked 1,572 Times in 818 Posts
HickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: UBS branch office closures

Quote:
View Post
I don't actually want to be computer literate or master any software. I have other things to do. If I can write and communicate, use my smart phone for messages and so on I'm perfectly happy. I'm a happy 82 year-old man anyway, don't need to master screens of any kind. My main telephone calls are made with my fixline and not being able to see the person I am talking to doesn't worry me at all.
My rent, all bills, and all financial transactions I do with 'Einzahlungsscheine' and cash. When I book a holiday I go to the local travel agent and pay cash. Cash which I withdraw from the bank and stand in a queue for. I never have outstanding debts and know at any moment just how my accounts stand.
Were I to drive into town and have to pay a parking space with my phone I'd be lost. So I use public transport and pay the train or bus ticket with cash.
As far as I can see I am at no disadvantage to, for instance, my sons who click away merrily at all possible times. But they have higher costs.
The advantage is that I didn't have to pay for an expensive phone device and don't have a monthly bill of XX(X)SFr..coming in because of clicking at all possible requests. My TV and internet connections exclude my smart phone which I have on Migros Budget - but 'what's app' is free, so no costs here. Paying per Einzahlungsscheine and cash saves me a lot of money per year, I pay Fr 5. per month for PostFinance. I've had a small 'handy' for years to take with me outside and in the car so everything is under control.


As things progress in the banking world and the path for me gets narrower I'll find a way.
My mums dad who sadly passed away recently was only a little older than you and when we tried to get him on the computer we found him waving the mouse in the air infront of the screen (after being taught how it works). I left him with only two icons - email and internet but sadly it was too much. He was the more tech savvy of my grandfathers - the other couldn't use a cash point!

Tbh writing on a forum - you must be in the top 1% of octogenarians. If you can manage this I'm sure most apps would be doable for you.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank HickvonFrick for this useful post:
  #50  
Old 14.01.2021, 12:05
Axa's Avatar
Axa Axa is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Suhr, Aargau
Posts: 1,712
Groaned at 21 Times in 21 Posts
Thanked 2,244 Times in 1,059 Posts
Axa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond repute
Re: UBS branch office closures

Quote:
View Post
I actually consulted with an "Ethical Hacker" (he gets paid to try and breach systems) to understand what the best security options would be. When I mentioned my concept to someone at the Mousetrap, they were very interested but conceded that I should have pitched my idea to banks a few years ago as they currently have the attitude that people who may need such a concept are dying out anyway and it's not worth pursuing. However, there are plenty of young people who struggle with this and who may not have sufficient knowledge to stay safe.
Very interesting perspective. Indeed, when you talk about not being able to use internet safely....everyone pictures in their minds a pensioner, while young people may have the same challenges.

And as amogles talked about his dad, between proficient and to how to use that sh*t is just a matter of time. So, don't take anything for granted.
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 14.01.2021, 12:42
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 9,742
Groaned at 429 Times in 370 Posts
Thanked 17,789 Times in 9,495 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: UBS branch office closures

Quote:
View Post
My Dad was a computer specialist in his youth. He did Fortran on punch cards and all that and knew the ins and outs of computers before most people even knew what a computer was. He programmed and ran simulations on how the next generation of computers were going to work, and there is even a method named after him. He was also using email at a time that there were only a couple of thousand email users in the world and was regularly invited by commissions and other such bodies to advise on the future of computers and on potential uses and feasibility. So he was pretty much at the cutting edge of it all for most of his life.

Now he's 82 and he struggles with online banking stuff and prefers to stay away from it. Computers today are just too different from the computers he knows about.

So f it happened to him it could happen to any of us.
I did Fortran and punched cards too, also Cobol and Algol.

I too find modern systems rather difficult, I taught myself HTML, SQL and CSS for my website but I do struggle with understanding and coding php - Javascript is a step too far.
I am OK with online banking but four years younger than your dad which helps.

Back to topic, the UBS branches near to me stopped handling cash a long time ago so without cash needs why would you go to a branch anyway?
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank marton for this useful post:
Reply

Tags
ubs




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Setting up a US subsidiary or Branch office in Switzerland mspnyn Business & entrepreneur 9 09.09.2013 10:50
Non EU representative for CH branch office tina_us Business & entrepreneur 25 25.04.2010 00:38
Setting up a Branch Office in Zurich Meester_Paul Business & entrepreneur 20 08.10.2009 02:28
US co. - branch office questions valaiski Business & entrepreneur 1 21.07.2008 17:50
3rd party national - B permit for branch office? valaiski Permits/visas/government 0 21.07.2008 01:59


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 01:25.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0