Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Swiss politics/news  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02.05.2021, 12:29
Treverus's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Work in ZH, live in SZ
Posts: 11,943
Groaned at 305 Times in 261 Posts
Thanked 22,739 Times in 8,233 Posts
Treverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond repute
Basel offers homeless free one-way ticket to European destinations...

... if they sign a contract to not come back. That’s the Swiss attitude that doesn’t make you popular with neighbors.

https://www.newsweek.com/city-offers...-1588085?amp=1
Reply With Quote
The following 6 users would like to thank Treverus for this useful post:
  #2  
Old 02.05.2021, 12:36
MusicChick's Avatar
modified, reprogrammed and doctored²
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: La Cote
Posts: 17,028
Groaned at 372 Times in 255 Posts
Thanked 19,569 Times in 10,212 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Basel offers homeless free one-way ticket to European destinations...

Subtle!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02.05.2021, 12:36
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Up there over the fog
Posts: 1,914
Groaned at 257 Times in 189 Posts
Thanked 2,108 Times in 1,040 Posts
JackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Basel offers homeless free one-way ticket to European destinations...

wow
Reply With Quote
This user groans at JackieH for this post:
  #4  
Old 02.05.2021, 12:39
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Zürich
Posts: 10
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts
brysoserious has no particular reputation at present
Re: Basel offers homeless free one-way ticket to European destinations...

I noticed this and thought it was a joke... talk about making a problem go away
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02.05.2021, 12:42
MusicChick's Avatar
modified, reprogrammed and doctored²
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: La Cote
Posts: 17,028
Groaned at 372 Times in 255 Posts
Thanked 19,569 Times in 10,212 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Basel offers homeless free one-way ticket to European destinations...

Quote:
View Post
I noticed this and thought it was a joke... talk about making a problem fly away
fixed that for ya..
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank MusicChick for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 02.05.2021, 12:53
olygirl's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: d' Innerschwiiz
Posts: 6,942
Groaned at 338 Times in 222 Posts
Thanked 16,376 Times in 4,981 Posts
olygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Basel offers homeless free one-way ticket to European destinations...

Can someone find a Swiss article substantiating this? I can't find anything on this anywhere
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank olygirl for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 02.05.2021, 13:04
Treverus's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Work in ZH, live in SZ
Posts: 11,943
Groaned at 305 Times in 261 Posts
Thanked 22,739 Times in 8,233 Posts
Treverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Basel offers homeless free one-way ticket to European destinations...

Quote:
View Post
Can someone find a Swiss article substantiating this? I can't find anything on this anywhere
https://www.20min.ch/fr/story/un-che...s-688160601385
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank Treverus for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 02.05.2021, 13:09
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 343
Groaned at 21 Times in 12 Posts
Thanked 404 Times in 187 Posts
Sinking has earned the respect of manySinking has earned the respect of manySinking has earned the respect of many
Re: Basel offers homeless free one-way ticket to European destinations...

Homeless people is not the same thing as beggars.

Begging in the street is not allowed in several Swiss Cantons / Cities.

So, which one is it? Homeless or beggars?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Sinking for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 02.05.2021, 16:38
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 10,595
Groaned at 344 Times in 280 Posts
Thanked 15,441 Times in 7,915 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Basel offers homeless free one-way ticket to European destinations...

Quote:
Le service des migrations de la ville de Bâle propose un Rail Check ainsi qu’un don de 20 francs à tout mendiant qui en fait la demande. Ce bon de voyage permet de se rendre gratuitement vers une destination européenne en train. Mais, comme le confirme Toprak Yergu, porte-parole du Département bâlois de la justice, «les bénéficiaires doivent s’engager par écrit à ne pas revenir en Suisse – au moins pendant un certain temps. S’ils sont à nouveau contrôlés, ils risquent l’expulsion de notre pays.»

Au total, 31 personnes se sont annoncées: 14 venaient de Roumanie, 7 de Belgique, 7 d’Allemagne, 2 d’Italie et une de France.»
I don't think that will work, but fingers crossed.

@Sinking,
The ban should be extended to all cantons.

Quote:
View Post
Homeless people is not the same thing as beggars.

Begging in the street is not allowed in several Swiss Cantons / Cities.

So, which one is it? Homeless or beggars?


Quote:
View Post
This article (paywall) is on a small travel agency called Travelpoint by the Claraplatz. The owner says that his customers are predominantly Romanians lately, they pay with coins only for the Wizzair tickets (direct flight to Bukarest, typical cost is around 60 CHF one-way including airport tax and other fees). Many are repeat customers, oftentimes with different IDs, one ID had a printed validity of 60 years, apparently something no country does. .
You do realise these IDs are fake, I hope. Which makes me wonder how on earth they can board here..if nothing else..Typical cost appears to be 214 chf last time I checked btw. This article made me very curious.

Last edited by greenmount; 02.05.2021 at 18:04.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank greenmount for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 02.05.2021, 12:56
NotAllThere's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Baselland
Posts: 13,146
Groaned at 211 Times in 188 Posts
Thanked 19,168 Times in 7,792 Posts
NotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Basel offers homeless free one-way ticket to European destinations...

A few years ago, the SP in Basel decided to adopt a different approach to begging - effectively, total tolerance.

This has ended up with Basel being a Mecca to beggars - including the organised gangs. There's a woman who has her spot by the Denner near Wettsteinplatz. Like many of the others, she's shrouded in blankets to keep out the cold, a sign saying (in English) "Please help, 2 kids to feed". I used to walk by about the same time each Saturday morning. She had a mobile phone, a packed lunch (usually hidden away, as it doesn't go with the look), and sometimes her gang members would visit her for a chat.

A few weeks ago, I saw a child of about 12 begging on Mittlerebrücke - exactly the same MO as the rest of this obvious gang.

Organised begging isn't allowed, but the police have been told not to challenge any beggar.

These people will not be accepting the offer. They're making too much money out of gullible tourists.

There is a Swiss man on IV. He has a disability which makes walking difficult. He supplements his income by begging, and while out, tends to exaggerate his disability. How do I know this? He was interviewed by TeleBasel and was quite open about it. Again his target is tourists. As a Swiss man, he won't be taking the offer.

However, I do know a few homeless people in Basel who would take the offer. They want to move on, but lack the wherewithall to do it. No one is forced to take the offer, and as it stands Basel is (in my view over) tolerant of begging.
__________________
Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!
Reply With Quote
The following 12 users would like to thank NotAllThere for this useful post:
  #11  
Old 02.05.2021, 13:04
MusicChick's Avatar
modified, reprogrammed and doctored²
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: La Cote
Posts: 17,028
Groaned at 372 Times in 255 Posts
Thanked 19,569 Times in 10,212 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Basel offers homeless free one-way ticket to European destinations...

Quote:
View Post
A few years ago, the SP in Basel decided to adopt a different approach to begging - effectively, total tolerance.

This has ended up with Basel being a Mecca to beggars - including the organised gangs. There's a woman who has her spot by the Denner near Wettsteinplatz. Like many of the others, she's shrouded in blankets to keep out the cold, a sign saying (in English) "Please help, 2 kids to feed". I used to walk by about the same time each Saturday morning. She had a mobile phone, a packed lunch (usually hidden away, as it doesn't go with the look), and sometimes her gang members would visit her for a chat.

A few weeks ago, I saw a child of about 12 begging on Mittlerebrücke - exactly the same MO as the rest of this obvious gang.

Organised begging isn't allowed, but the police have been told not to challenge any beggar.

These people will not be accepting the offer. They're making too much money out of gullible tourists.

There is a Swiss man on IV. He has a disability which makes walking difficult. He supplements his income by begging, and while out, tends to exaggerate his disability. How do I know this? He was interviewed by TeleBasel and was quite open about it. Again his target is tourists. As a Swiss man, he won't be taking the offer.

However, I do know a few homeless people in Basel who would take the offer. They want to move on, but lack the wherewithall to do it. No one is forced to take the offer, and as it stands Basel is (in my view over) tolerant of begging.
I suspect that quite a few people who came to Basel from abroad to make some cash off tourists may have gotten caught up in the pandemics and couldn't get back home, maybe..Because of lack of funds, no tourists, borders were closed at some point, etc. Would that be a reason why the city proposed this help? How will they go about the PCR tests prior flying?
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank MusicChick for this useful post:
  #12  
Old 02.05.2021, 16:08
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Bern
Posts: 1,649
Groaned at 260 Times in 162 Posts
Thanked 3,258 Times in 1,165 Posts
Susie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Basel offers homeless free one-way ticket to European destinations...

Quote:
View Post
I suspect that quite a few people who came to Basel from abroad to make some cash off tourists may have gotten caught up in the pandemics and couldn't get back home, maybe..Because of lack of funds, no tourists, borders were closed at some point, etc. Would that be a reason why the city proposed this help? How will they go about the PCR tests prior flying?
No, it really is a major problem in Basel. These are Romas who are part of a criminal human trafficking operation. I can tell you they most definitely will not be taking the offer & will instead wait for the bus from their boss to pick them up while he drops off fresh beggars.

Here's more on the subject:

https://www.srf.ch/play/tv/rundschau...5-ddddeaa6eb43

One of them grabbed my breasts at Le Train Bleu outside SBB. He came up & harassed people at their tables & then he pretended to trip and fall over his crutches right onto my chest. He was suddenly no longer crippled when the table of gentleman next to me rushed to my aid... he picked up his crutches and ran like the wind. Basel was incredibly stupid to ever allow this to happen in the first place, it is a real mess.
Reply With Quote
The following 8 users would like to thank Susie-Q for this useful post:
  #13  
Old 02.05.2021, 18:54
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 31,375
Groaned at 2,324 Times in 1,692 Posts
Thanked 38,024 Times in 17,958 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Basel offers homeless free one-way ticket to European destinations...

Quote:
View Post
... if they sign a contract to not come back. That’s the Swiss attitude that doesn’t make you popular with neighbors.

https://www.newsweek.com/city-offers...-1588085?amp=1
Fantastic idea!

They should do it country wide!

Tom
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02.05.2021, 22:49
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Zurich
Posts: 268
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 137 Times in 93 Posts
Dr Mick is considered knowledgeableDr Mick is considered knowledgeableDr Mick is considered knowledgeable
Re: Basel offers homeless free one-way ticket to European destinations...

Quote:
View Post
... if they sign a contract to not come back. That’s the Swiss attitude that doesn’t make you popular with neighbors.

https://www.newsweek.com/city-offers...-1588085?amp=1
This is nothing new.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03.05.2021, 00:02
Axa's Avatar
Axa Axa is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Suhr, Aargau
Posts: 2,755
Groaned at 36 Times in 36 Posts
Thanked 3,708 Times in 1,718 Posts
Axa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Basel offers homeless free one-way ticket to European destinations...

Quote:
View Post
... if they sign a contract to not come back. That’s the Swiss attitude that doesn’t make you popular with neighbors.

https://www.newsweek.com/city-offers...-1588085?amp=1
Did anyone read Treverus' link until the end?

Quote:
In 2018, a Guardian investigation revealed that councils in the U.K. had engaged in similar conduct by giving thousands of homeless individuals a one-way travel ticket to leave some locations over the span of four years.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Axa for this useful post:
  #16  
Old 03.05.2021, 07:38
NotAllThere's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Baselland
Posts: 13,146
Groaned at 211 Times in 188 Posts
Thanked 19,168 Times in 7,792 Posts
NotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Basel offers homeless free one-way ticket to European destinations...

Quote:
View Post
Wasn't like this even when I came here 15 months ago. Place is covered in graffiti.
That's always been the case.

Quote:
View Post
hey are taking over the city parks and are washing their laundry in the fountains with the chemicals going on the street
Crapping in the parks.

Quote:
View Post
You should all have some more respect for beggars here in Switzerland as they don't have an easy life.
They probably earn as much money as you do, but they can't spend their entire work day on social media.
They've all got smartphones. How else do you think they keep themseleves amused.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank NotAllThere for this useful post:
  #17  
Old 03.05.2021, 08:01
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Bern
Posts: 1,649
Groaned at 260 Times in 162 Posts
Thanked 3,258 Times in 1,165 Posts
Susie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Basel offers homeless free one-way ticket to European destinations...

Ugh, they are coming into Bern now. I’ve seen a few with the roses, but nothing like Basel. I hope it doesn’t get that bad ... probably one of the only times I will be on the side of SVP.

https://www.20min.ch/video/organisie...r-438945202697

I can totally see the naive ultra liberal Bernese catering to these guys ... blerg.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Susie-Q for this useful post:
  #18  
Old 03.05.2021, 08:40
Treverus's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Work in ZH, live in SZ
Posts: 11,943
Groaned at 305 Times in 261 Posts
Thanked 22,739 Times in 8,233 Posts
Treverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Basel offers homeless free one-way ticket to European destinations...

1. I also find it a bit weird that there is so little in the press on this. Probably because it
a) was just a "Vorstoss"... an idea to be discussed, not in practice yet
b) an offer, not any sort of forced deportation.

I honestly think this doesnt address the professional beggars. Because they are professionals. If they choose Basel then thats because they make money there. A cheap ticket and 20 EUR wont change that. The offer might work for the people who got stranded in Basel due to lock downs in FR and DE who would actually like to return home but cant. Lots of homeless like to spend the summers in the southern EU and the winters in places like Switzerland where the shelters are probably better than in Greece or Italy. I guess they would be tempted to fly out and then choose say Germany for their next winter.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Treverus for this useful post:
  #19  
Old 03.05.2021, 09:33
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 13,173
Groaned at 1,175 Times in 779 Posts
Thanked 18,987 Times in 7,360 Posts
Chuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Basel offers homeless free one-way ticket to European destinations...

Quote:
View Post
1. I also find it a bit weird that there is so little in the press on this. Probably because it
a) was just a "Vorstoss"... an idea to be discussed, not in practice yet
b) an offer, not any sort of forced deportation.

I honestly think this doesnt address the professional beggars. Because they are professionals. If they choose Basel then thats because they make money there. A cheap ticket and 20 EUR wont change that. The offer might work for the people who got stranded in Basel due to lock downs in FR and DE who would actually like to return home but cant. Lots of homeless like to spend the summers in the southern EU and the winters in places like Switzerland where the shelters are probably better than in Greece or Italy. I guess they would be tempted to fly out and then choose say Germany for their next winter.
I think the best thing would be for awareness raised among tourists to not give any money to beggars. Signs in main areas etc. Also, a small police patrol that goes at random intervals down the main areas checking permits etc.
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank Chuff for this useful post:
  #20  
Old 03.05.2021, 09:58
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: ZH
Posts: 7,867
Groaned at 87 Times in 69 Posts
Thanked 11,656 Times in 4,733 Posts
doropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Basel offers homeless free one-way ticket to European destinations...

Quote:
View Post
1. I also find it a bit weird that there is so little in the press on this. Probably because it
a) was just a "Vorstoss"... an idea to be discussed, not in practice yet
Ah, yes, thank you, that makes sense. I've also not been able to find it, as a concrete offer, anywhere.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (1 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Any first month rent free offers in general in Zurich? ztimes Housing in general 9 20.08.2016 12:58
Darwin Airlines/Etihad Regional Sale to European Destinations (2 days only) 3Wishes Travel/day trips/free time 13 24.04.2014 23:27
Bern - Homeless centre? Or an homeless kids place? hollisterb Daily life 2 04.10.2011 13:46
Cablecom offers (Router free) humano TV/internet/telephone 23 21.03.2011 17:41
UBS offers all credit cards free for a year, except Platinum muze7 Finance/banking/taxation 3 27.04.2007 22:08


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 17:15.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0