English Forum Switzerland

English Forum Switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php)
-   Swiss politics/news (https://www.englishforum.ch/swiss-politics-news/)
-   -   Luzern nein to harmoS (https://www.englishforum.ch/swiss-politics-news/33395-luzern-nein-harmos.html)

Anne K 30.09.2008 11:45

Luzern nein to harmoS
 
Hi There!

I just got the news that Luzern said no to having their kids two years in kindergarten and no to a Swiss uniform curriculum:( SVP is very happy with the outcome-what a shocker!!

WorldTraveller 30.09.2008 12:33

Re: Luzern nein to harmoS
 
Do kids 2 years old really need to be in Kindergarten? Seems a bit early doesn't it? With the cost, is there really any benefit? If I had any children, I wouldn't like to think at 2 years old they need to be shuttled off to school everyday.

Zug bound 30.09.2008 12:44

Re: Luzern nein to harmoS
 
TBH, I think it depends on the child. Our daughter went to nursery from the age of about 18 months. She is an only child and facilities in Oman for very young children left a lot to be desired. She certainly benefitted from socialising with other children although it doesn't suit all kids.

möpp 30.09.2008 12:49

Re: Luzern nein to harmoS
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by WorldTraveller (Post 322918)
Do kids 2 years old really need to be in Kindergarten? Seems a bit early doesn't it? With the cost, is there really any benefit? If I had any children, I wouldn't like to think at 2 years old they need to be shuttled off to school everyday.

I'm not sure that it was about putting 2 year olds into Kindergarten, but about sending kids to Kindergarten for 2 years (as opposed to 1 year at present).

Anne K 30.09.2008 12:49

Re: Luzern nein to harmoS
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by WorldTraveller (Post 322918)
Do kids 2 years old really need to be in Kindergarten? Seems a bit early doesn't it? With the cost, is there really any benefit? If I had any children, I wouldn't like to think at 2 years old they need to be shuttled off to school everyday.

This was not meant for two years old but 4 years old. The idea is that kids begin obligatorisch (cost free) Kindergarten when they are four. Kindergarten will be for two years. Kindergarten is not like school more like a spielgruppe- about three five days a week.

WorldTraveller 30.09.2008 12:51

Re: Luzern nein to harmoS
 
....but in a Swiss context, where most families are still strong and children are treasured and loved at home and there's extended family to watch out for the really young ones (except expats obviously), wages are high enough that 1 income is enough for each household....it seems mandating schooling at 2 in Switzerland is unnecessary. But then, I haven't got kids so perhaps my assumptions are incomplete.

Nathu 30.09.2008 14:20

Re: Luzern nein to harmoS
 
Anne K is right, with HarmoS mandatory kindergarten would start at age four, not two. A specialty of canton Lucerne is that 37% of children go to kindergarten for two years or longer. The national average is 86%.

Lucerne is already mostly HarmoS compliant and children won't have more problems than before if they switch to a HarmoS canton. However Lucerne will have no say in the future development of HarmoS. For families, the main effect of the vote is that mandatory kindergarten still starts at five years. (Do they have to pay for kindergarten at four?). Also the municipalities keep more independence in the extent of day care they offer. But no party runs the canton's education system alone.

Anne K 30.09.2008 17:02

Re: Luzern nein to harmoS
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by WorldTraveller (Post 322939)
....but in a Swiss context, where most families are still strong and children are treasured and loved at home and there's extended family to watch out for the really young ones (except expats obviously), wages are high enough that 1 income is enough for each household....it seems mandating schooling at 2 in Switzerland is unnecessary. But then, I haven't got kids so perhaps my assumptions are incomplete.

I do agree that most families in Switzerland are strong and that is not a bad thing, but on the other side there are families who are struggeling financially because they are "forced" out of work-because it is difficult to find affordable childcare.

I think that at age four you can choose to have you kid in kindergarten (no cost) but at the age five it is obligatorisch. I also think that four is not really a young age to start going to Kindergarten- Then they are old enough to be 3 hours away from their mom (or dad).

Nathu 30.09.2008 17:11

Re: Luzern nein to harmoS
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anne K (Post 323278)
I think that at age four you can choose to have you kid in kindergarten (no cost) but at the age five it is obligatorisch.

Ah, so it's free at four. Thank you for clarifying that. Yes, it's mandatory for five years old.

olygirl 30.09.2008 17:15

Re: Luzern nein to harmoS
 
- Kids walk to school every day. Many parents feel their children are old enough to go to school when they are old enough to walk alone to school. Depending on where you live, many four year olds aren't mature enough to walk alone to school.

- Three hours a day / three times a week is more of a hassle than help for working mothers. Children aren't at school long enough during the day for mothers to take part in the working world.

I would have voted against HarmoS as well.

Now if there were a referandum to make it a requirement for schools to offer supervised school lunchtimes (with the possibility of serving warm lunches), I'd definitely vote YES!

Anne K 30.09.2008 17:30

Re: Luzern nein to harmoS
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by olygirl (Post 323300)
- Kids walk to school every day. Many parents feel their children are old enough to go to school when they are old enough to walk alone to school. Depending on where you live, many four year olds aren't mature enough to walk alone to school.

- Three hours a day / three times a week is more of a hassle than help for working mothers. Children aren't at school long enough during the day for mothers to take part in the working world.

I would have voted against HarmoS as well.

Now if there were a referandum to make it a requirement for schools to offer supervised school lunchtimes (with the possibility of serving warm lunches), I'd definitely vote YES!

I do agree that only three hours is a problem, but it does exists but do supervised school lunchtime (I know from where my child goes but its not free) but unfortunately not all over Switzerland. I do agree that the referendum is not perfect but it is a start. Since everything goes so slowly here in Switzerland you need to start somewhere.

I can see the hassle but I do think the kids will benefit from it! They do a lot of fun activities there and it is a soft start where the kids can slowly learn to adapt to a school life!

Talking from my own experience I follow my kid every day to school and I also have to "drag" my three year old along-It is a hassle but it is worth it-because she loves it!


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 07:36.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0