Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Swiss politics/news  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 17.02.2009, 17:51
Macchiato's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 732
Groaned at 22 Times in 15 Posts
Thanked 330 Times in 218 Posts
Macchiato is considered knowledgeableMacchiato is considered knowledgeableMacchiato is considered knowledgeable
Atheist bus campaign in CH

Hi free thinkers,
Happy to see the bus is here as well:

http://www.swissinfo.org/eng/front/A...83340000&ty=st

Here is the website :
http://geniess-das-leben.ch/

which you can donate to reach the target (I will do myself soon).

ENJOY your LIFE
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 17.02.2009, 18:49
InShan's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Zug
Posts: 469
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 476 Times in 194 Posts
InShan has an excellent reputationInShan has an excellent reputationInShan has an excellent reputationInShan has an excellent reputation
Re: Atheist bus campaign in CH

I don't understand the point of this. If someone wants to blow a truckload of money advertising God (which is hilarious incidentally), let them.

However, most atheists I know claim to have come to atheism through rationality- "I know God doesn't exist because there is no evidence supporting his existence, and much evidence showing traditional god stories to be untrue". If rationality is the backdrop to atheism, surely atheists can see there are much better, more urgent causes to give money to, than sniping to the bible-koran-talmud-gita thumpers via public transport means?

Just my two cents.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank InShan for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 17.02.2009, 19:26
Macchiato's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 732
Groaned at 22 Times in 15 Posts
Thanked 330 Times in 218 Posts
Macchiato is considered knowledgeableMacchiato is considered knowledgeableMacchiato is considered knowledgeable
Re: Atheist bus campaign in CH

Quote:
View Post
I don't understand the point of this. If someone wants to blow a truckload of money advertising God (which is hilarious incidentally), let them.

However, most atheists I know claim to have come to atheism through rationality- "I know God doesn't exist because there is no evidence supporting his existence, and much evidence showing traditional god stories to be untrue". If rationality is the backdrop to atheism, surely atheists can see there are much better, more urgent causes to give money to, than sniping to the bible-koran-talmud-gita thumpers via public transport means?

Just my two cents.
At least, the glance, may give a chance for some non-atheists to think more rationally about god's existence than just accepting it as a default de-facto belief that doesn need to be thought on!
And to atheists, at least a smile

Anyway your story can be told, to all religous banners hanging here and there as well.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 17.02.2009, 19:32
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Atheist bus campaign in CH

Quote:
View Post
At least, the glance, may give a chance for some non-atheists to think more rationally about god's existence
Why?

Christians, Muslims, Jews and other believers in God in Switzerland are hardly making our lives difficult, are they?

You might have a point if these buses were being driven round Mecca, Jerusalem, Rome or Salt Lake City, but round Switzerland?

Hilarious...
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 17.02.2009, 19:33
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Atheist bus campaign in CH

Quote:
View Post
Anyway your story can be told, to all religous banners hanging here and there as well.
Nobody's inviting me to subsidise any of these. If religious people want to advertise themselves, then let them.

I'm not paying a penny for a useless cause that claims to speak in my name.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 17.02.2009, 19:37
Boy Wonder's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Zürich
Posts: 86
Groaned at 8 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 69 Times in 33 Posts
Boy Wonder has become a little unpopular
Re: Atheist bus campaign in CH

Quote:
Why?

Christians, Muslims, Jews and other believers in God in Switzerland are hardly making our lives difficult, are they?
Well, the churches have a tendency of waking me up too early in the weekends with all their noise. Funny, that - it's not allowed for me to make any noise on Sundays.
Reply With Quote
The following 6 users would like to thank Boy Wonder for this useful post:
The following 2 users groan at Boy Wonder for this post:
  #7  
Old 17.02.2009, 20:20
Macchiato's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 732
Groaned at 22 Times in 15 Posts
Thanked 330 Times in 218 Posts
Macchiato is considered knowledgeableMacchiato is considered knowledgeableMacchiato is considered knowledgeable
Re: Atheist bus campaign in CH

Quote:
Why?

Christians, Muslims, Jews and other believers in God in Switzerland are hardly making our lives difficult, are they?

You might have a point if these buses were being driven round Mecca, Jerusalem, Rome or Salt Lake City, but round Switzerland?

Hilarious...
If it takes a few weeks for the bus to reach to CH from UK, we could expect whitin a few years it can reah those stations!
Let the bus run land by land.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 17.02.2009, 20:28
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Atheist bus campaign in CH

Quote:
View Post
we could expect whitin a few years it can reah those stations!
I very much doubt the organisers would have the balls, quite honestly.

Better play safe and preach to the unconverted, eh?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 17.02.2009, 20:40
InShan's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Zug
Posts: 469
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 476 Times in 194 Posts
InShan has an excellent reputationInShan has an excellent reputationInShan has an excellent reputationInShan has an excellent reputation
Re: Atheist bus campaign in CH

Quote:
I very much doubt the organisers would have the balls, quite honestly.

Better play safe and preach to the unconverted, eh?

As Dougal said- I very much doubt that they would have the courage to go to a place which didn't permit religious pluralism and freedom of expression.

Switzerland is an easy target. Yes, its a primarily Christian country, but nevertheless- the freedoms which allow these buses to run around insulting the view of the larger part of society are entrenched deep. I wonder if you'd feel like driving that bus through the streets of Downtown Karachi, or Jerusalem? Or wearing a t-shirt proclaiming the same message? T-shirt would be cheaper, and a hell of a lot more mobile- so you should think about it.

I find smug, self-satisfied atheism to be as dangerous a beast as smug, self-satisfied religion (of whatever flavour). If you really want to win people over to your cause, try logic and respect for their intelligence instead of gimmicks.
Reply With Quote
The following 6 users would like to thank InShan for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 17.02.2009, 20:51
Macchiato's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 732
Groaned at 22 Times in 15 Posts
Thanked 330 Times in 218 Posts
Macchiato is considered knowledgeableMacchiato is considered knowledgeableMacchiato is considered knowledgeable
Re: Atheist bus campaign in CH

Quote:
View Post
I very much doubt that they would have the courage to go to a place which didn't permit religious pluralism and freedom of expression.

I wonder if you'd feel like driving that bus through the streets of Downtown Karachi, or Jerusalem? .
I know it won't happen in our lifetime (my dream will be to see the bus in those cities), but it will reach one day, so let the wheels run, better slow than nothing.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Macchiato for this useful post:
  #11  
Old 17.02.2009, 20:52
Boy Wonder's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Zürich
Posts: 86
Groaned at 8 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 69 Times in 33 Posts
Boy Wonder has become a little unpopular
Re: Atheist bus campaign in CH

Quote:
View Post
Switzerland is an easy target. Yes, its a primarily Christian country, but nevertheless- the freedoms which allow these buses to run around insulting the view of the larger part of society are entrenched deep. I wonder if you'd feel like driving that bus through the streets of Downtown Karachi, or Jerusalem? Or wearing a t-shirt proclaiming the same message? T-shirt would be cheaper, and a hell of a lot more mobile- so you should think about it.
I've wondered about that - are people religious in CH? Or is it like back home where you're automatically a church member from the day you're borne and need to take active steps in order to exit. Most don't leave, but they don't attend church either, so then the question is if they're religious or not. Clearly, church attendance per se is not a measure of spirituality, but it does make me wonder.

Quote:
View Post
I find smug, self-satisfied atheism to be as dangerous a beast as smug, self-satisfied religion (of whatever flavour). If you really want to win people over to your cause, try logic and respect for their intelligence instead of gimmicks.
No point trying to use logic - faith isn't based on logic. Besides, why bother - as long as they don't bother you or try to teach your kids about ID rather than evolution in school.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Boy Wonder for this useful post:
  #12  
Old 17.02.2009, 20:53
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Atheist bus campaign in CH

Quote:
View Post
I know it won't happen in our lifetime
Why don't you make it happen?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 17.02.2009, 20:56
Boy Wonder's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Zürich
Posts: 86
Groaned at 8 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 69 Times in 33 Posts
Boy Wonder has become a little unpopular
Re: Atheist bus campaign in CH

Btw, does anyone else have these moments where you realize the extent of how your protestant upbringing has shaped you in terms of work ethics and that gnawing sense of guilt? Or is it just me having too much time on my hands to ponder how I "feel" all the time (probably because I don't work hard enough...)?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 17.02.2009, 20:56
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Atheist bus campaign in CH

Quote:
View Post
why bother
Indeed.

So some people believe stuff that we think is silly. And?

As long as they're happy to let us disbelieve in their various gods (which, in Switzerland, they are), shouldn't we give them the same respect in return?

And even if they (oh, the horror!) put advertisements on buses threatening us with fiery doom and annihilation, shouldn't we just ignore them and continue with our lives as normal?
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 17.02.2009, 20:58
InShan's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Zug
Posts: 469
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 476 Times in 194 Posts
InShan has an excellent reputationInShan has an excellent reputationInShan has an excellent reputationInShan has an excellent reputation
Re: Atheist bus campaign in CH

Quote:
View Post
No point trying to use logic - faith isn't based on logic. Besides, why bother - as long as they don't bother you or try to teach your kids about ID rather than evolution in school.
Faith isn't based on logic, but most proponents of Atheism argue that their belief system is based on logic. I don't believe in God actively. I don't disbelieve in God actively. I don't care all that much- going along with it makes my family happy, when they're around. Ignoring it makes me happy when they're not around.

But if you claim your faith system is better than another person's (shining the light on the uncivilized masses that just follow like sheep!) because of the logic and reason inherent- then go on. Convince me. You might be able to. An anonymous, provocative and rude message on a Bus won't.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank InShan for this useful post:
  #16  
Old 17.02.2009, 20:59
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Atheist bus campaign in CH

Quote:
View Post
Btw, does anyone else have these moments where you realize the extent of how your protestant upbringing has shaped you in terms of work ethics and that gnawing sense of guilt? Or is it just me having too much time on my hands to ponder how I "feel" all the time (probably because I don't work hard enough...)?
Nah. When I lost my belief, I lost pretty much all the baggage, too.

Which was nice.

I can understand why it isn't so easy for some people, though. I had a pretty chilled upbringing without the benefit of whippings, bible-readings and cold showers.

If I'd been brought up by monks I might have a different outlook.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 17.02.2009, 21:02
InShan's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Zug
Posts: 469
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 476 Times in 194 Posts
InShan has an excellent reputationInShan has an excellent reputationInShan has an excellent reputationInShan has an excellent reputation
Re: Atheist bus campaign in CH

Quote:
View Post
I know it won't happen in our lifetime (my dream will be to see the bus in those cities), but it will reach one day, so let the wheels run, better slow than nothing.
The Bus might not. A t-shirt can. You can be the first martyr in the name of Atheism. I'll get the t-shirt printed, if you'll wear it. A day around Vatican city. That's nice and close.

I think that's what bothers me so much about this. Its just ... mean spirited. Believe whatever you want, but if you need to insult someone elses' faith to justify your own- atleast have the courage to not do it anonymously.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank InShan for this useful post:
  #18  
Old 17.02.2009, 21:10
Macchiato's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 732
Groaned at 22 Times in 15 Posts
Thanked 330 Times in 218 Posts
Macchiato is considered knowledgeableMacchiato is considered knowledgeableMacchiato is considered knowledgeable
Re: Atheist bus campaign in CH

Quote:
View Post
The Bus might not. A t-shirt can. You can be the first martyr in the name of Atheism. I'll get the t-shirt printed, if you'll wear it. A day around Vatican city. That's nice and close.

I think that's what bothers me so much about this. Its just ... mean spirited. Believe whatever you want, but if you need to insult someone elses' faith to justify your own- atleast have the courage to not do it anonymously.
Wait a min.
If Saying "probably god doesn't exist" is an insult to other's beilef, then all religious words written and told in history and now, are insult to non-beilevers and should be banned as well.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 17.02.2009, 21:11
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Atheist bus campaign in CH

Quote:
View Post
Wait a min.
If Saying "probably god doesn't exist" is an insult to other's beilef, then all religious words written and told in history and now, are insult to non-beilevers and should be banned as well.
No.

Because we're bigger than that.

Aren't we?
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 17.02.2009, 21:12
Macchiato's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 732
Groaned at 22 Times in 15 Posts
Thanked 330 Times in 218 Posts
Macchiato is considered knowledgeableMacchiato is considered knowledgeableMacchiato is considered knowledgeable
Re: Atheist bus campaign in CH

Quote:
Why don't you make it happen?
It should start from somewhere and slowly going on.
If you give me a boost instead of complaining, I will
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
atheist, religion




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
World Toilet Campaign cyrus Swiss politics/news 3 27.11.2008 19:32
Body blow for McCain campaign Castro International affairs/politics 66 04.11.2008 15:16
Roger Fisk from Obama campaign @ next DA event!!! girouxj13 Commercial events 0 18.07.2008 15:23
Old but interesting blog post on the UDC campaign nileblitz Swiss politics/news 1 30.01.2008 12:42
Conker Pong - Campaign to save it Guest Football/sports 6 02.11.2007 17:33


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 18:25.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0