English Forum Switzerland

English Forum Switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php)
-   Swiss politics/news (https://www.englishforum.ch/swiss-politics-news/)
-   -   prima i ticinesi? (https://www.englishforum.ch/swiss-politics-news/5197-prima-i-ticinesi.html)

tgpt 25.03.2007 03:58

prima i ticinesi?
 
I've been seeing signs around Ticino that appear to be from these folks:

http://www.legaticinesi.ch/

Who look like a right-wing political party with ties to the Lega Nord in Italy (the party that wanted/wants the north to secede and form its own country).

The signs say things like "Lavorare: Prima i Ticinesi!", which basically means "To work: Ticinesi first!".

Am I wrong to draw parallels between these people and the minutemen and similiar anti-immigrant groups in the US? Are there legal changes that are up for vote in the next round of elections that could affect us? Will Ticino secede and join the northern league, with Berlusconi as the supreme leader? :eek:

More seriously, if this group really is anti-immigrant, do they tend to have a lot of popular support in Ticino? The wikipedia says they have only one seat in the national council, but they also have seat in the council of state for Ticino, which would indicate a fair amount of local support.

Anyone care to explain the inner workings of Ticino politics to me?

Nathu 26.04.2007 18:33

Re: prima i ticinesi?
 
Basically the Lega is the correspondent to the conservative right SVP (UDC) in the rest of Switzerland, therefor they only have one seat in the national parliament. They also brought the intrusion of the SVP (Unione Democratica di Centro in Ticino) to a halt in the April 1st election for which you've seen advertisements.

The armed minutemen guard the US-Mexican border, right? I wouldn't go that far for describing the Lega. Bignasca is a populist but the Lega has more moderate exponents, too (Borradori). The Lega is a young protest party and their profile is anti-immigration, anti "political elite", anti EU, anti "Berne".

However the Lega appears to know that it operates in a small canton and the other parties so far have had limited problems to cooperate with it. They lack the power to change immigration laws by themselves, and the direct democracy is another obstacle to take, as the succeeding left parties probably would oppose such discriminating laws.

You can find further information about the results of the recent elections here.

aurora_borealis 27.04.2007 10:00

Re: prima i ticinesi?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nathu (Post 54829)
Basically the Lega is the correspondent to the conservative right SVP (UDC) in the rest of Switzerland, therefor they only have one seat in the national parliament. They also brought the intrusion of the SVP (Unione Democratica di Centro in Ticino) to a halt in the April 1st election for which you've seen advertisements.

The armed minutemen guard the US-Mexican border, right? I wouldn't go that far for describing the Lega. Bignasca is a populist but the Lega has more moderate exponents, too (Borradori). The Lega is a young protest party and their profile is anti-immigration, anti "political elite", anti EU, anti "Berne".

However the Lega appears to know that it operates in a small canton and the other parties so far have had limited problems to cooperate with it. They lack the power to change immigration laws by themselves, and the direct democracy is another obstacle to take, as the succeeding left parties probably would oppose such discriminating laws.

You can find further information about the results of the recent elections here.

Don't let Bignasca hear you say that (UDC)....;) they have actually had a fall out....the popular support for Lega is actually small....the last election was really an exception.....This political party likes to make a lot of noise but sofar no bite....

spmull06 27.04.2007 11:53

Re: prima i ticinesi?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by aurora_borealis (Post 54980)
Don't let Bignasca hear you say that (UDC)....;) they have actually had a fall out....the popular support for Lega is actually small....the last election was really an exception.....This political party likes to make a lot of noise but sofar no bite....

I can be Bignasca :torch::firing:. *pays his fine* I wish the video of him shooting up into the air was online. I looked for 10 minutes yesterday.

Nathu 27.04.2007 12:46

Re: prima i ticinesi?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by spmull06 (Post 55015)
I can be Bignasca :torch::firing:. *pays his fine* I wish the video of him shooting up into the air was online. I looked for 10 minutes yesterday.

Realplayer Video @ 1:25

Man, I didn't know that Bignasca is such a lunatic politician :(

I've heard that the Lega leans left in social issues but I'd still say, they are most similar to the SVP.

aurora_borealis 27.04.2007 13:27

Re: prima i ticinesi?
 
we were all shocked when he did that on national TV :eek:

ExoticLatic 27.04.2007 23:53

Re: prima i ticinesi?
 
Bignasca is a coke snorting, brothel owning, newspaper editing one-man show. He is a truly awful man and his paper, which I read during an away trip to Ticino to watch football/hockey was the most comically biased paper I've read in Switzerland, almost up to Sun/Daily Mail standars in term of manipulation of facts to suit a political agenda.

Nathu 30.04.2007 00:34

Re: prima i ticinesi?
 
Okay, apparently Bignasca shot blanks, that's why he only got a 50.- fine (but he's still an idiot :p)

Tray 29.05.2007 16:07

Re: prima i ticinesi?
 
I think there's a bit of confusion:
Berlusconi is not with the northern league (lega padana), he has not such view, he more into the right wing capitalism.
The lega dei ticinesi is a weird political party: it's mainly a social right wing party and is really different from the SVP-UDC, it's a bit of a confusionary party because it has right wing people, communists and people rejected from others political parties in it so the only thing they have in common is that they want to bring benefit to the people of Ticino. As is easy to understnad they are a populist party and during the last elections they received a massive support from people.


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:38.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0