Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Transportation/driving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 15.02.2011, 00:14
yasmina
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Change in Laws regarding UK license convertion

I'm looking for some information regarding changing a UK license into a Swiss one...

As far I was aware, converting from a UK driving license to a Swiss one was quite simple, an eye test, maybe a first aid course but basically as long as you do it within one year of being in Switerland, all is fine.

However, a friend of mine did her practical test today, and her partner asked about converting from a UK license, and he was told that everyone had to take a driving license here in Switerland as of January 2011.

Does anybody know if this is right...?

I'm very sad to hear this news, just due to the cost and stress of re-taking the test.

If anyone has any information, please share, because it's really put a downer on my day.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by yasmina; 15.02.2011 at 00:39. Reason: A few missing words.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 15.02.2011, 00:43
economisto
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Change in Laws regarding UK license convertion

I can't find any evidence of this at all

http://www.stva.zh.ch/internet/siche...umschreib.html
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 15.02.2011, 00:49
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: What's it to you?
Posts: 2,721
Groaned at 99 Times in 69 Posts
Thanked 3,362 Times in 1,361 Posts
Snoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Change in Laws regarding UK license convertion

The attached pdf (in German I am afraid) give you the low down on what needs to be done to get a Swiss license.

EU/EFTA citizens as well as several others (incl. Australia, Canada, USA) do not have to do a test.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ZLMB_AUSLUM0909.pdf (183.0 KB, 206 views)
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 15.02.2011, 00:55
yasmina
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Change in Laws regarding UK license convertion

I also searched the website below, though I don't think there would be a difference for international drivers in different cantons... hmm?

http://www.jura.ch/DFJP/OVJ/Permis-d...rnational.html

I thought that it could be that it hasn't been updated on websites yet. My friend is French speaking so I don't think there was much chance for a misunderstanding. He said it was now the same for Germans, Italians, infact all of Europe which could change it simply before.

I'll call the centre in Delémont tomorrow.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 15.02.2011, 01:14
Ittigen
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Change in Laws regarding UK license convertion

I cannot find anything about any changes.

Driving licenses from EU & USA and many other countries have to be exchanged within a total of 12 months of living in Switzerland.

http://www.pom.be.ch/pom/de/index/st...Par_textbild_1

Other countries have shorter waiting periods and have to take a test.

Heavy goods and PSV licenses have to be exchanged immediately,

berufsmässig in der Schweiz immatrikulierte Motorfahrzeuge der Kategorie/Unterkategorie C/C1(= Lastwagen/“Leichtlastwagen“ bis 7,5 Tonnen), D/D1 (= Gesellschaftswagen/“Kleinbusse“ bis 17 Plätze inklusive Lenker) führt oder eine Bewilligung zum berufsmässigen Personentransport (= BPT, ehemals Taxi) besitzt. Der schweizerische Führerausweis ist in diesen Fällen sofort zu erwerben, also noch vor der ersten berufsmässigen Fahrt.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 15.02.2011, 09:15
porsch1909
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Change in Laws regarding UK license convertion

If you obtained your uk license after 2005 you have to do 2 days of courses before you van get a full swiss license.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 15.02.2011, 10:05
seyon's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Olten
Posts: 471
Groaned at 18 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 128 Times in 74 Posts
seyon is considered knowledgeableseyon is considered knowledgeableseyon is considered knowledgeable
Re: Change in Laws regarding UK license convertion

I did after 3 years and still fine...no test necessary.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 15.02.2011, 10:17
porsch1909
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Change in Laws regarding UK license convertion

http://www.ne.ch/neat/site/jsp/rubri...eu&DocId=12874

The info regarding Neuchatel is here and looks the same as when I changed my license last November!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 15.02.2011, 10:22
Belgianmum's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Was Belgium now Neuchâtel
Posts: 9,461
Groaned at 81 Times in 76 Posts
Thanked 13,059 Times in 5,825 Posts
Belgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Change in Laws regarding UK license convertion

I changed mine in January without any problems. Had the eye test then took the completed forms to the office in Neuchatel. 2 days late got the new Swiss licence in the post. The painful part was the 120chf bill which arrived the week after.

Mine was a German licene though so I don't know if it makes a difference. It confused the lady in the office a bit as I had four different countries on the form. British national,Geman Licence,passed test in France and arrived from Belgium)
OH had no problems changing a Belgian licence either.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 15.02.2011, 10:46
yasmina
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Change in Laws regarding UK license convertion

Quote:
View Post
If you obtained your uk license after 2005 you have to do 2 days of courses before you van get a full swiss license.
Hi, what kind of courses are they? How much do they cost....

I just called the office in Delémont, and they said I do not have to do a test.
Thanks to everyone that replied on here, just confused as to why my friend was given that information... Maybe it's something that will change in the future, and in that case, if anyone needs to change their license... do it now!

Thanks all.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 15.02.2011, 10:53
porsch1909
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Change in Laws regarding UK license convertion

Quote:
View Post
Hi, what kind of courses are they? How much do they cost....

I just called the office in Delémont, and they said I do not have to do a test.
Thanks to everyone that replied on here, just confused as to why my friend was given that information... Maybe it's something that will change in the future, and in that case, if anyone needs to change their license... do it now!

Thanks all.
I managed to just make the deadline without doing these course but someone at work had to do them. I think it's two days costing 350CHF each. Some theoretical and some practical stuff. I don't think there is a test and you pass as long as you turn up though.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 15.02.2011, 18:59
Nev
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Change in Laws regarding UK license convertion

Quote:
View Post
If you obtained your uk license after 2005 you have to do 2 days of courses before you van get a full swiss license.

Quote:
View Post
Hi, what kind of courses are they? How much do they cost....
If you passed your test after 2005 you'll get a provisional licence in return for your full UK licence. To get that converted to a full Swiss licence you have to do a two day course at a recognized driving centre within a certain period. If it applies to you, book ahead because there are limited centres and places are booked well in advance..

The two day course is a full two days ie aprox 8 hrs a day. It's a course, not an exam. There's no test. But you have sit through road safety presentations, do a few circuits round a skid pan and drive off with the instructor and a couple of peer course members in the back seats. They will critique the quality of your driving. Last time I checked it cost between CHF 550 and CHF600 in our neck of the woods.

Beware, courses are not available in English, at least where we live so if you don't speak the lingo you just have to sit through it and do the best you can. But as I said, there's no test.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 15.02.2011, 19:05
Cata1yst
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Change in Laws regarding UK license convertion

Is this licenses in 2006 or those in 2005?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 15.02.2011, 19:21
porsch1909
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Change in Laws regarding UK license convertion

Quote:
View Post
Is this licenses in 2006 or those in 2005?
Will be from the end of 2005 since I got changed with a March 2005 license and didn't have to do any course.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 15.02.2011, 19:24
Cata1yst
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Change in Laws regarding UK license convertion

Quote:
View Post
Will be from the end of 2005 since I got changed with a March 2005 license and didn't have to do any course.
Good mines Feb 2005 I was lazy

Must be less than 5 years then?
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 15.02.2011, 19:33
yasmina
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Change in Laws regarding UK license convertion

Quote:
View Post
If you passed your test after 2005 you'll get a provisional licence in return for your full UK licence. To get that converted to a full Swiss licence you have to do a two day course at a recognized driving centre within a certain period. If it applies to you, book ahead because there are limited centres and places are booked well in advance..

The two day course is a full two days ie aprox 8 hrs a day. It's a course, not an exam. There's no test. But you have sit through road safety presentations, do a few circuits round a skid pan and drive off with the instructor and a couple of peer course members in the back seats. They will critique the quality of your driving. Last time I checked it cost between CHF 550 and CHF600 in our neck of the woods.

Beware, courses are not available in English, at least where we live so if you don't speak the lingo you just have to sit through it and do the best you can. But as I said, there's no test.
Okay, thanks. That's exactly what I wanted to know. It's the first time I heard of that two day course though, and it's annoying how much it costs. Infact I believe that it actually costs more than doing some lessons and a driving test here. So, good news - no stress for a test. Bad news - need to find and pay someone to look after my daughter for 2 whole days and then pay at least SFr 600 on top. Woop.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 15.02.2011, 19:52
porsch1909
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Change in Laws regarding UK license convertion

Quote:
View Post
Okay, thanks. That's exactly what I wanted to know. It's the first time I heard of that two day course though, and it's annoying how much it costs. Infact I believe that it actually costs more than doing some lessons and a driving test here. So, good news - no stress for a test. Bad news - need to find and pay someone to look after my daughter for 2 whole days and then pay at least SFr 600 on top. Woop.
A friend in Neuchatel I know is paying about 90 CHF per hour. Wouldn't take long to get to 600CHF!
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 15.02.2011, 20:00
southiemiddles's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Wollishofen, Zurich
Posts: 186
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 122 Times in 54 Posts
southiemiddles has made some interesting contributions
Re: Change in Laws regarding UK license convertion

I was told that I needed to have a license since 2005. Being American, I need to obtain proof from the DMV of the state in which I resided prior to moving here. The DMV record I had didn't have my full driving record, which I will need to get from the DMV in a letter.

For now, I was given a provisional license that is good for two years. At the end of those two years, I need to either give proof of a license that I've had since '05 or take the two-day driving course. I'm hoping for Option A, as the two day driving course can apparently cost up to 700 CHF according to the guy at the Zurich driver's license bureau.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 15.02.2011, 20:02
yasmina
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Change in Laws regarding UK license convertion

Quote:
View Post
A friend in Neuchatel I know is paying about 90 CHF per hour. Wouldn't take long to get to 600CHF!
But she is learning.. doesn't have a license...?
It's just a bit crazy - I can drive! I spent a lot of money on lessons back in the UK.. Last night when I thought I had to re-do a test I was gutted... this morning I thought oh all is well, maybe 120 Franc for an exchange... and now maybe I think it's worse than last night!!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #20  
Old 15.02.2011, 20:07
porsch1909
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Change in Laws regarding UK license convertion

Quote:
View Post
But she is learning.. doesn't have a license...?
It's just a bit crazy - I can drive! I spent a lot of money on lessons back in the UK.. Last night when I thought I had to re-do a test I was gutted... this morning I thought oh all is well, maybe 120 Franc for an exchange... and now maybe I think it's worse than last night!!
I do agree it seems a bit arbitrary to just say that anyone after 2005 has to do these courses which they may not even understand.

Just because someone passed a test in 2004 doesn't make them a better driver than someone who passed in 2006
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
converting, driving, license




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Motorcycle laws abnerninja Transportation/driving 54 30.11.2011 17:03
Moved: how to change address on record for Swiss driving license Music Mole Transportation/driving 3 25.09.2008 12:29
getting a car license when holding a indian car driving license gundasi Transportation/driving 3 28.06.2008 00:26
Purchasing a car on international license and alter obtaining swiss license Skyfish Transportation/driving 0 17.11.2007 22:46


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 17:58.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0