Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Transportation/driving  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 28.04.2011, 22:31
Fidgety's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bottom of garden with fairies
Posts: 535
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 503 Times in 195 Posts
Fidgety has an excellent reputationFidgety has an excellent reputationFidgety has an excellent reputationFidgety has an excellent reputation
Will I get a fine?

I rented a car last week to go to the south of France. Car rented on Swiss side of Basel airport, so has CH plates.

My UK license has UK address, which is what the rental company took, and I actually live in France.

I was on the highway heading towards Geneva when I got flashed by one of those b!**dy speed cameras, to be honest I am not sure how fast I was going over the limit.

What happens next? Any ideas?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 28.04.2011, 22:38
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Will I get a fine?

Good job you hired on Swiss side, as cars rented on French side do not have a Swiss Motorway Vignette, which would be 500CHF fine on top of speeding fine, depending on how much over limit. Fine will go to Hire Company, who will pass it on to you. It took about 2 months to get to me when I was caught!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 28.04.2011, 22:39
Ittigen
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Will I get a fine?

With your record, you had better buy your Christmas cards soon!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 28.04.2011, 22:43
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Dubendorf, Zurich
Posts: 146
Groaned at 13 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
MDCP has become a little unpopularMDCP has become a little unpopular
Re: Will I get a fine?

If I rent or buy a car in switzerland what all those vignette I need to buy to be hassle free to drive within eurpoe (except UK may be) and how much they cost.

thanks
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 28.04.2011, 22:44
Fidgety's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bottom of garden with fairies
Posts: 535
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 503 Times in 195 Posts
Fidgety has an excellent reputationFidgety has an excellent reputationFidgety has an excellent reputationFidgety has an excellent reputation
Re: Will I get a fine?

Thanks ittigen.......

2 months....hmmmm

What if i ignore it.....? Do I go on a black list?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 28.04.2011, 22:47
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Will I get a fine?

Quote:
View Post
If I rent or buy a car in switzerland what all those vignette I need to buy to be hassle free to drive within eurpoe (except UK may be) and how much they cost.

thanks
Still 40 CHF for the Swiss vignette for the whole year, unlimited use - only valid in Switzerland though. Many foreigners hire from French side of BAsle or Geneva, without being aware that vignette not included (nor snow tyres in winter) and get caught later in CH. Huge price hike proposed for next year to 100CHF. No charge on German motorways, Italy and France pay at booths, very expensive!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 28.04.2011, 22:53
adrianlondon's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 9,131
Groaned at 170 Times in 153 Posts
Thanked 25,643 Times in 6,892 Posts
adrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will I get a fine?

Quote:
View Post
If I rent or buy a car in switzerland what all those vignette I need to buy to be hassle free to drive within eurpoe (except UK may be) and how much they cost.

thanks
Hi, I need to do something. Please advise me the best way to do it. Thanks.
Reply With Quote
The following 11 users would like to thank adrianlondon for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 28.04.2011, 23:27
zymogen's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: ...
Posts: 948
Groaned at 9 Times in 6 Posts
Thanked 1,082 Times in 454 Posts
zymogen has a reputation beyond reputezymogen has a reputation beyond reputezymogen has a reputation beyond reputezymogen has a reputation beyond reputezymogen has a reputation beyond reputezymogen has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will I get a fine?

Quote:
View Post
Thanks ittigen.......

2 months....hmmmm

What if i ignore it.....? Do I go on a black list?
The fine goes to the rental agency that has your credit card details.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 28.04.2011, 23:28
Ittigen
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Will I get a fine?

How do speeding fines work in Switzerland?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 28.04.2011, 23:31
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 32,496
Groaned at 2,577 Times in 1,840 Posts
Thanked 39,637 Times in 18,681 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will I get a fine?

Quote:
Good job you hired on Swiss side, as cars rented on French side do not have a Swiss Motorway Vignette, which would be 500CHF fine on top of speeding fine,
It's CHF 100, not 500.

Also, being flashed would in no way show if you had a vignette or not.

Tom
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 29.04.2011, 11:01
digg's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Zurich
Posts: 402
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 116 Times in 81 Posts
digg has earned some respectdigg has earned some respect
Re: Will I get a fine?

Quote:
View Post
I was on the highway heading towards Geneva when I got flashed by one of those b!**dy speed cameras, to be honest I am not sure how fast I was going over the limit. What happens next? Any ideas?
You didn't mention if you were in Switzerland or France when you got flashed. I read your post that you were in France heading back to Switzerland (via Geneva), but I see others here read it that you were on the way to France. If in Switzerland expect the fine to get to your UK address (the rental car company will pass on your address). If in France. Not sure.. I have been caught once by a camera there and not had a ticket (I have a Swiss car).
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 29.04.2011, 11:11
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Will I get a fine?

Quote:
View Post
It's CHF 100, not 500.

Also, being flashed would in no way show if you had a vignette or not.

Tom
Sorry - you are right. Law just been passed to double soon and keep the vignette at same price (instead of up to 100 as previously planned).
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #13  
Old 29.04.2011, 13:48
Fidgety's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bottom of garden with fairies
Posts: 535
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 503 Times in 195 Posts
Fidgety has an excellent reputationFidgety has an excellent reputationFidgety has an excellent reputationFidgety has an excellent reputation
Re: Will I get a fine?

Quote:
View Post
You didn't mention if you were in Switzerland or France when you got flashed. I read your post that you were in France heading back to Switzerland (via Geneva), but I see others here read it that you were on the way to France. If in Switzerland expect the fine to get to your UK address (the rental car company will pass on your address). If in France. Not sure.. I have been caught once by a camera there and not had a ticket (I have a Swiss car).


Switzerland But I guess they would be too efficient to have the occasional 'Dummy' camera like they do in the UK.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 29.04.2011, 14:08
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Will I get a fine?

As Zymogen said, the rental company has your credit card details so the fine will come out of your pocket one way or another.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 29.04.2011, 14:36
digg's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Zurich
Posts: 402
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 116 Times in 81 Posts
digg has earned some respectdigg has earned some respect
Re: Will I get a fine?

Quote:
View Post
Switzerland But I guess they would be too efficient to have the occasional 'Dummy' camera like they do in the UK.
Different philosophy here If you didn't know what speed you were doing and it wasn't a 100 km/h zone then you're probably not in excess (I know when I am driving 100 MPH) so probably CHF 120. The Swiss tend to keep a good memory for things like this... especially for foreign registered vehicles--my French friend never paid his speeding/parking fines until one day he crossed the border....
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 29.04.2011, 14:58
Fidgety's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bottom of garden with fairies
Posts: 535
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 503 Times in 195 Posts
Fidgety has an excellent reputationFidgety has an excellent reputationFidgety has an excellent reputationFidgety has an excellent reputation
Re: Will I get a fine?

Quote:
As Zymogen said, the rental company has your credit card details so the fine will come out of your pocket one way or another.

I can't wait......
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 29.04.2011, 15:16
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Will I get a fine?

Quote:
View Post
I can't wait......
I guess that's what caused the fine in the first place...
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #18  
Old 29.04.2011, 16:12
jmf's Avatar
jmf jmf is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Cham, ZG
Posts: 1,017
Groaned at 9 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 887 Times in 444 Posts
jmf has a reputation beyond reputejmf has a reputation beyond reputejmf has a reputation beyond reputejmf has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will I get a fine?

"The Swiss tend to keep a good memory for things like this... especially for foreign registered vehicles--my French friend never paid his speeding/parking fines until one day he crossed the border...."

I've been flashed for running a red light in Zurich (due to some pedestrian who ran through the intersection and caused me to brake in the middle of it) but despite VERY thorough border controls they didn't make me pay any fine. So YMMV
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 29.04.2011, 16:27
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 11,790
Groaned at 610 Times in 516 Posts
Thanked 21,696 Times in 11,393 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will I get a fine?

Quote:
View Post
Switzerland But I guess they would be too efficient to have the occasional 'Dummy' camera like they do in the UK.
No, but frequently cameras are not activated.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 29.04.2011, 16:46
zymogen's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: ...
Posts: 948
Groaned at 9 Times in 6 Posts
Thanked 1,082 Times in 454 Posts
zymogen has a reputation beyond reputezymogen has a reputation beyond reputezymogen has a reputation beyond reputezymogen has a reputation beyond reputezymogen has a reputation beyond reputezymogen has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will I get a fine?

Quote:
View Post
I've been flashed for running a red light in Zurich (due to some pedestrian who ran through the intersection and caused me to brake in the middle of it) but despite VERY thorough border controls they didn't make me pay any fine. So YMMV
The speed cameras at intersection flash up twice in order to calculate your speed and estimate whether the stoplight was red when you drove into the intersection.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fine for no insurance - how much? porsch1909 Insurance 8 12.05.2010 10:26
Parking fine magyir Transportation/driving 6 09.06.2009 16:15
Fine Dining raincookie Entertainment & dining 17 17.10.2008 07:51
Can I get a FINE for this? galvatron Transportation/driving 3 28.05.2008 11:27


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:02.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0